Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetero

Re: Future NHL Expansion Seattle, Quebec City?

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:03 pm

Seattle has exclusive right to submit an application for this round of expansion.

Quebec City would have to wait until next round or get a relocated team, of which there are several candidates. This article sums it up well enough as Houston is in same bucket.

https://www.chron.com/sports/article/A- ... 423405.php

georgiabill
Topic Author

Future NHL Expansion Seattle, Quebec City?

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:05 pm

With the success of the Las Vegas Golden Knights this season and apparently a Seattle group stepping up with a 10,000,000.00 deposit on a NHL franchise upon completion of remodeling Key Arena or another proposed privately funded arena near Safeco Field. Seattle is obviously committed to having either an NBA or NHL franchises,perhaps both.
Quebec City has the new Centre Videotron Arena which seats 18,000 for hockey and has deposits for 10,000 season seats for an NHL team in Quebec City. My question is if the NHL expands again will they add one or two teams? I am guessing one is the likely out come.
If I had a vote it would be award Quebec City the expansion team as it has an arena ready for a team and use the time to convince either Panthers or Coyotes to move to Seattle.If the Panthers were moved to Seattle this would require moving a western conference team to the east and I would propose moving the Chicago Blackhawks and reuniting the original 6 teams in eastern conference.

Your thoughts

northstardc4m

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:53 pm

Move the Coyotes to Seattle, maybe rename... Always wanted a hockey team names the Orcas.

More the Panthers to Quebec, Nordiques rise again.

No need for another team... VGK are doing very well but Vegas had 0 major league sports teams before them. Seattle does and Quebec City is a much smaller market so they can't really draw parallels. Also the Canucks being so close to Seattle will suck some of the interest away, again closest teams to Vegas were LA and Phoenix so less of a factor.

jetero

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:55 pm

northstardc4m wrote:
Move the Coyotes to Seattle, maybe rename... Always wanted a hockey team names the Orcas.

No need for another team... VGK are doing very well but Vegas had 0 major league sports teams before them. Seattle does and Quebec City is a much smaller market so they can't really draw parallels. Also the Canucks being so close to Seattle will suck some of the interest away, again closest teams to Vegas were LA and Phoenix so less of a factor.

I think it's actually easier to have 32 teams from a scheduling perspective . . . an interesting math problem indeed.

Don't know about hockey but here's an article on baseball.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/58831/wh ... games-long

NIKV69

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:29 pm

northstardc4m wrote:

This

ER757

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:49 pm

northstardc4m wrote:

The Orcas name is one that's on the list already for a Seattle NHL team, so you may get your wish. Although with an Orca as part of the Canucks' logo, I'd venture to say Seattle would choose another name if/when they get a team so as to avoid comparison/confusion with the team three hours up the road.

jetwet1

Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:38 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:

This

Pretty much, though I see the fans in Seattle switching to their home team over the 'Nucks pretty easily, Seattleite's are pretty loyal to their home team and let's face it, the 'Nucks are in serious need of a major rebuild.

Quebec....I just don't know, my heart says "yes", my brain says "errrrrrrrrrrrr maybe", I mean I really feel for the city, watching your team move, then win the Stanley Cup the following year, that's a knife to the heart, but has the main issue changed there ? Can they generate enough revenue now ? Sure they will have no issues selling the place out every night, but can they sell the suites and the corporate sponsorship's for enough $$$$

Let's face facts, after the Lindros trade they went from being horrible to be cup contenders overnight, and still couldn't make money, of course times have changed, but hey they changed enough ?

Aesma

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:54 pm

I don't watch sports but I must say I don't understand the concept of a team changing cities. I can't imagine that happening with teams in my country. A team is linked to the city, owners, managers, players change over time, if the city changes too, then what's left ?

TWA772LR

Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:16 am

If Houston ever does get a team, I wonder what its name would be. Houston Hurricanes has a great ring to it, but that's already taken.

September11

Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:22 am

Apparently, we have a possible NHL team name for Seattle:

Seattle Eagles

jetero

Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:24 am

TWA772LR wrote:
If Houston ever does get a team, I wonder what its name would be. Houston Hurricanes has a great ring to it, but that's already taken.

Houston Strong, of course!

September11

Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:46 am

NHL "2020 Picture"

Western Conference - Group A
1. Vancouver Canucks
2. Seattle team
3. San Jose Sharks
4. Los Angeles Kings
5. Anaheim Ducks
6. Vegas Golden Knights
7. Calgary Flames
8. Edmonton Oilers

Western Conference - Group B
1. Arizona Coyotes
2. Dallas Stars
3. Colorado Avalanche
4. St. Louis Blues
5. Minnesota Wild
6. Winnipeg Jets
7. Chicago Blackhawks
8. Detroit Red Wings

Eastern Conference - Group A
1. New York Rangers
2. New York Islanders
3. New Jersey Devils
4. Boston Bruins
5. Ottawa Senators
6. Montreal Canadiens
7. Toronto Maple Leafs
8. Buffalo Sabres

Eastern Conference - Group B
1. Florida Panthers
2. Tampa Bay Lightning
3. Nashville Predators
4. Columbus Blue Jackets
5. Pittsburgh Penguins
6. Philadelphia Flyers
7. Washington Capitals
8. Carolina Hurricanes

gunsontheroof

Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:10 am

I'm very excited that things seem to be moving forward in Seattle--there's a great hockey fan base here (I used to work at a hockey bar in town) and I'm optimistic about the ownership group that's been assembled to make this happen. I would have strongly preferred Chris Hansen's arena plan in SoDo, but the NBA effectively killed that for us when they nixed the sale of the Sacramento Kings to Hansen/Steve Ballmer back in 2013 and gave the city an opening to push the (city-owned) Key Arena renovation. Key Arena is great if you live in the city and can take public transit to a game/event, but if you're driving in from the suburbs, the parking situation is terrible and game-time traffic in the area is hell on earth.

I would really, really like to see Quebec City get a team back. They have a strong tradition, great fan base and a building ready to go. It was a shame to see Vegas bumped ahead of them to get a team, though you can't help but be impressed that they're having the best first year of any expansion team in the big four of North American sports ever.

Aesma wrote:
I don't watch sports but I must say I don't understand the concept of a team changing cities. I can't imagine that happening with teams in my country. A team is linked to the city, owners, managers, players change over time, if the city changes too, then what's left ?

You'd like to think so, but pro sports are big business and like all big businesses, they'll move if they think there are greener pastures elsewhere. As a long-time Seattle Supersonics fan, I can tell you that this sucks very much and you never stop feeling jilted.

September11 wrote:
Apparently, we have a possible NHL team name for Seattle:

Seattle Eagles

I'd prefer the Sockeyes or Totems. Metropolitans (same name as the Seattle team that won first Stanley Cup in the states in 1917) is kind of corny, but I'd be fine with that too. There are already a ton of teams out there with "Eagles" as a name.

September11

Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:54 am

How about naming the team, Seattle Butterflies?
(remember Skybus logo?)