Speed Skating Ladies' 3,000m
Gold | Carlijn ACHTEREEKTE | NED
Silver | Ireen WUST | NED
Bronze | Antoinette DE JONG | NED

https://www.olympic.org/pyeongchang-201 ... -02-10.htm

mke717spotter

Re: Winter Olympics games

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:18 pm

I'm really not that into the NHL, but in the past I could always get excited about watching the Olympic hockey tournament. Not so much now since the NHL fiasco is keeping the best players from participating.

NIKV69

Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:46 pm

I am watching Korea women play the Swiss women hockey. Korea played great for 10 mins but they were over matched. Love their fans though.

LittleFokker

Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:34 pm

The best part about South Korea hosting the Winter Olympics is getting to watch live curling at midnight when I get off work. Good stuff.

Bostrom

Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:58 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Cross-Country Skiing Ladies' 7.5km + 7.5km Skiathlon
Gold | Charlotte KALLA | SWE
Silver | Marit BJØRGEN | NOR
Bronze | Krista PÄRMÄKOSKI | FIN

Being Swedish, I have to say the medal table looked nice after the first event of the games :)

DIRECTFLT

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:20 am

From the opening cauldron lighting:

Hey, get over it, I say...phallic symbols can be found all over the world... :lol:

DIRECTFLT

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:34 am

Drone imaging for the masses:

https://youtu.be/VTO6ZfUiG98

DIRECTFLT

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:41 am

A Record number of condoms will be distributed at this year's Winter Olympics: 110,000 are set to be given away - enough for 37 per athlete

The guys most least likely to have any sex.... have the most condoms. :hyper:
I'm sure the girl that gave the guy the box of condoms to hold, he, was not even aware the joke was on him!!!

A total of 110,000 contraceptive sheaths will be distributed before the beginning of the games.Of the nearly 3,000 athletes taking part, the number of condoms distributed equates to an average of 37.6 per sportsman and sportswoman - they will be made available to all participants.

I guess there's no underage at the Olympic Village. :scratchchin:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... mpics.html

Kiwirob

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:47 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:

Since I’m sure everyone competing will be over 13. In South Korea the age of consent is 13, so it’s pretty much a free for all in the shagging games.

DIRECTFLT

Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:13 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Since I’m sure everyone competing will be over 13. In South Korea the age of consent is 13, so it’s pretty much a free for all in the shagging games.

SAVAGES ! ! !

But seriously, the Movie Theater Industry must know best, because, for them an "Adult" movie ticket begins at 13..
And they deal with lots and lots of teens.... kind of an authority on the subject, you know... :checkmark:
Last edited by DIRECTFLT on Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DIRECTFLT

Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:17 pm

Global Warming Strikes Again !! :evil:

All around the games, athletes and fans are dealing with conditions that have tested even the most seasoned winter sports veterans.

Low temperatures have hovered in the single digits, dipping below zero Fahrenheit with unforgiving gusts whipping at 45 mph (70 kph) making it feel much colder. Organizers have shuffled schedules, and shivering spectators left events early.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/wind-ice-col ... 53785.html

Dutchy
Topic Author

Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:55 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

Could you please keep your anti-science views out of this thread and keep on the subjects of the Olympic games, thanks.

casinterest

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:29 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

All around the games, athletes and fans are dealing with conditions that have tested even the most seasoned winter sports veterans.

Low temperatures have hovered in the single digits, dipping below zero Fahrenheit with unforgiving gusts whipping at 45 mph (70 kph) making it feel much colder. Organizers have shuffled schedules, and shivering spectators left events early.

Please recognize the difference between weather and climate.

Weather is akin to your current mood. Climate is like your personality

Weather can vary days to day, but changes to Climate are observed over long periods of time.

What you are reporting on is weather.

DIRECTFLT

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:54 am

Congrats to Shaun White and Chloe Kim for bringing home the US snowboarding gold.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:43 am

Speed skating seems to be a Dutch affair again:

GOLD:
- Carlijn Achtereekte (3000 meters women, speed skating)
- Sven Kramer (5000 meters men, speed skating)
- Ireen Wüst (1500 meters women, speed skating)
- Kjeld Nuis (1500 meters men, speed skating))

SILBER:
- Sjinkie Knegt (1500 meters men, shorttrack)
- Ireen Wüst (3000 meters women, speed skating)
- Yara van Kerkhof (500 meters women, shorttrack)
- Patrick Roest (1500 meters men, speed skating)

BRONS:
- Antoinette de Jong (3000 meters women, speed skating)
- Marrit Leenstra (1500 meters women, speed skating)

Kiwirob

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:48 am

Might as well remove speed skating from the games, it’s like synchronised swimming, utterly pointless and barely a sport.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:55 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Might as well remove speed skating from the games, it’s like synchronised swimming, utterly pointless and barely a sport.

Congrats, with that reasoning, you just killed all sports, all sports are utter pointless.........

Kiwirob

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:06 am

Dutchy wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Congrats, with that reasoning, you just killed all sports, all sports are utter pointless.........

Just long track speed skating, it’s only there for the benefit of one country, so it it might as well be removed from the program.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:12 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Just long track speed skating, it’s only there for the benefit of one country, so it it might as well be removed from the program.

So remove the marathon from the Olympic agenda and there are more sport where one country has a dominance. Skiing from Norway, so remove that as well? No one is stopping other counties for competing, this was quite an exciting speed skating season, no Dutch dominance, they are just peaking at the right moment. So basically you don't know what you are talking about.

Redd

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:26 am

Kiwirob wrote:

Might as well remove Hockey then, Canada will win anyhow ;)

northstardc4m

Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:44 pm

Redd wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Funny I was just gonna say that :rotfl:

But on a serious note... some haters need to take a step back... https://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/canada-kim-boutin-receives-death-threats-after-winning-short-track-bronze.html not cool... i don't care what country not cool.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:33 pm

Just for the heck of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p7zpH0 ... r_embedded

BTW another gold medal for the Dutch team, 1.000meters women.

cledaybuck

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:49 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

How is winter going out in California?

Kiwirob

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:04 pm

northstardc4m wrote:
Redd wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

But on a serious note... some haters need to take a step back... https://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/canada-kim-boutin-receives-death-threats-after-winning-short-track-bronze.html not cool... i don't care what country not cool.

Short track has far more competition, there’s no dominance by the orange men and women. Long track is just a shitty dull sport.

NIKV69

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:10 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

Barely a sport? You have any idea of the endurance you have to have to compete at any level not including the Olympics? No you don't.

Get rid of short track but long track is one of the best events.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:54 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:
Redd wrote:

Short track has far more competition, there’s no dominance by the orange men and women. Long track is just a shitty dull sport.

Ignorance is a bliss...

So is it because you hate The Netherlands and that's why you want to remove it? Is it because you personally don't like the sport and thus you want to remove it? Or is it because you think there should be more competition and you want to remove all sports which hasn't that much competition? Or some other reason?

mke717spotter

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:25 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

I've never been able to get too excited about the sports that involve judges and scoring (snowboarding, figure skating), and then there's other sports (luge, ski jumping) where I wonder how much human element/technique is really involved. However, for me speed skating is definitely legitimate.

Kiwirob

Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:22 am

Dutchy wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:

Ignorance is a bliss...

So is it because you hate The Netherlands and that's why you want to remove it? Is it because you personally don't like the sport and thus you want to remove it? Or is it because you think there should be more competition and you want to remove all sports which hasn't that much competition? Or some other reason?

You’re mentally unhinged aren’t you, it’s a big jump from thinking long track speed skating is a pointless sport which should be removed from the Olympic program and allegedly hating the Netherlands. I think you need to pop down to a coffee shop and take a few tokes!!

Dutchy
Topic Author

Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:28 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Ignorance is a bliss...

You’re mentally unhinged aren’t you, it’s a big jump from thinking long track speed skating is a pointless sport which should be removed from the Olympic program and allegedly hating the Netherlands. I think you need to pop down to a coffee shop and take a few tokes!!

Ah, but Rob, it was a question, you're talking about "dominance by the orange men and women", so not as far fetched to think you hate the Netherlands for some reason and that's why you have picked the one sport the Dutch dominate. So we are crossing the hatred for the Netherlands out of the equation. So what is it then? 3 options are left:
- Is it because you personally don't like the sport and thus you want to remove it?
- Or is it because you think there should be more competition and you want to remove all sports which hasn't that much competition?
- Or some other reason?

Please enlighten us :lol:

ltbewr

Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:37 pm

While many of us love to show a lot of patriotism and support our given countries' competitors, sometimes the sheer joy of accomplishment, of winning, no matter if the a competitor is from the USA, Russia or an African one is why we watch these games.
We saw in the pairs skating last night a 5th time Olympian, a former Bronze medal winner for another country (Russia) and other partners, now from Germany finally win a Gold and the joy she had from finally winning the big prize. A young woman, Chloe Kim, an American born of Korean immigrant parents, a great personality, cute appearance, a fantastic competitor, her joy is infectious. A man from Ghana in the Skeleton yesterday, likely coming in last, but competently finished without a crash when other more seasoned competitors did, he too had joy in his face for his effort. That is why we watch these games, to see excellence in sport and their joy in their success.

northstardc4m

Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:09 pm

Well i guess the dutch don't quite dominate the 10000m do they? :checkeredflag:

https://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/ca ... ating.html

and sush Dutchy about ancestry... he's wearing a maple leaf. :lol:

Airontario

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:33 pm

northstardc4m wrote:

Solid day overall for Canada

Gold in 10,000m Speed Skating

Silver in Luge Relay

Bronze in Pairs Figure Skating

Womens Hockey beat the USA

Mens Hockey beat Switzerland

Dutchy
Topic Author

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:53 pm

northstardc4m wrote:

You can have him, we trained him, we nurtured him, we educated him, you won the gold medal. :D

So we have a Dutchman whom fled to Canada to ask for skating asylum and we have a Dutchman whom fled to Belgium to ask for skating asylum, ah well.....

northstardc4m

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:13 pm

Airontario wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:

Solid day overall for Canada

Gold in 10,000m Speed Skating

Silver in Luge Relay

Bronze in Pairs Figure Skating

Womens Hockey beat the USA

Mens Hockey beat Switzerland

Now if the womens curling team would just shape up...

Dutchy wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:

You can have him, we trained him, we nurtured him, we educated him, you won the gold medal. :D

So we have a Dutchman whom fled to Canada to ask for skating asylum and we have a Dutchman whom fled to Belgium to ask for skating asylum, ah well.....

ok, whatever reality suits you best.... :rotfl:

Dutchy
Topic Author

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:14 pm

northstardc4m wrote:
ok, whatever reality suits you best.... :rotfl:

8-)

BravoOne

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:34 pm

Well at least the Dutch are good a something......skating one of them.

Mortyman

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:48 pm

Norway has the most medals so far:

9 Gold
9 Silver
8 Bronse

26 in total

and there is still a week left ....

redngold

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:54 am

Huh... Oh what? Yeah. I'm glued to the television. I love the Olympics and it's the perfect thing to keep me occupied while I recover from a severe respiratory infection, Loved the ice dancing tonight, and I'm currently watching Men's Ski Halfpipe. oooohhhh crash

northstardc4m

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:25 pm

Can we have short-track without the drama? No probably not...

https://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/dr ... elief.html

:ill: :weeping: :hissyfit:

Not arguing the DQ though, someone was where they weren't supposed to be.

northstardc4m

Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:24 pm

I'm just gonna say it now and get it over with...

Women's Hockey Final... we lost with the 2nd US goal. I said to a friend in the 2nd period, too many changes and they were getting sloppy... and guess what? We never really came back from the tie goal... even the end of 3rd powerplay we didn't get the speed and fight back from the feel of it... we just never really came back.

Well Team USA was a most worthy opponent last night and deserve the gold.

Just wish I hadn't stayed up till 2:45am to watch.

:zzz:

cjg225

Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:24 pm

Finally got over the hump with a hockey gold. Been far too long. Watched the highlights this morning. Great win.

And, huge congrats to Team USA on its first ever cross-country gold!

NIKV69

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:42 pm

northstardc4m wrote:
I'm just gonna say it now and get it over with...

Women's Hockey Final... we lost with the 2nd US goal. I said to a friend in the 2nd period, too many changes and they were getting sloppy... and guess what? We never really came back from the tie goal... even the end of 3rd powerplay we didn't get the speed and fight back from the feel of it... we just never really came back.

Well Team USA was a most worthy opponent last night and deserve the gold.

Just wish I hadn't stayed up till 2:45am to watch.

:zzz:

Congrats to the US women on a historic win! I think the NY Islanders should talk to both the Canada and US goalies. They can use their services.

What was up with the Canadian players yanking off her silver medal right after it was put on her? Such bad form and bad sportsmanship.

L410Turbolet

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:42 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
What was up with the Canadian players yanking off her silver medal right after it was put on her? Such bad form and bad sportsmanship.

In men's ice hockey this is quite common both for Canadians and Russians. So pathetic.

NIKV69

Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:32 am

What a Ladies' free skate! ALINA!!!!!! She was brilliant!

Kiwirob

Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:35 am

[quote="NIKV69”]

What was up with the Canadian players yanking off her silver medal right after it was put on her? Such bad form and bad sportsmanship.[/quote]

Silver is first loser, you don’t win silver you lose gold, can’t say I blame them for being upset.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:04 am

A few more days and this Olympic games will be over.

NIKV69

Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:07 am

Kiwirob wrote:

Silver is first loser, you don’t win silver you lose gold, can’t say I blame them for being upset.

We know this but the Russian girl who gave it all and finished second showed much more respect and sportsmanship. When she hugged her fellow Russian skater it was a great moment. That is how you take a loss. Shame this form is not shared by the Canadian women. In fact I find it sad that the NHL has a tradition in the playoffs where teams line up and shake each others hands and it's so sincere yet in the Olympics this doesn't happen and the losers pout. Shame.

northstardc4m

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:48 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

We know this but the Russian girl who gave it all and finished second showed much more respect and sportsmanship. When she hugged her fellow Russian skater it was a great moment. That is how you take a loss. Shame this form is not shared by the Canadian women. In fact I find it sad that the NHL has a tradition in the playoffs where teams line up and shake each others hands and it's so sincere yet in the Olympics this doesn't happen and the losers pout. Shame.

It really has nothing to do with insincerity or even sportsmanship... You have a long running and very heated Olympic team rivalry here and a very long leave everything out there game that ended in a way neither side likes... emotions are going to overflow. Stop picking on them, it all settled down once the emotions calmed down. There have been other athletes that have done far FAR worse things for less reason.

KL785

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:00 pm

Redd wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Yeah... about that... :D

bmacleod

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:31 pm

Redd wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Never assume anything as they say...

https://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/canada-play-for-men-hockey-bronze-after-being-stunned-germany.html