Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Alhf94
Topic Author

Retracted ear drum, 18 months pain

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:27 am

Hi

It's difficult to write this because of the pain.

18 months ago I was on a flight, when the flight was descending I had the most excruciating pain in both my ears for around 10 minutes. After the flight my ears didn't feel right but there wasn't any lasting pain.

3 weeks passed and I had a clogged pressure sensation build up in my ears. I went to an ENT Doctor and he looked in my ears and said they were severely retracted. After a few months the ENT doctor said the ear drums looked normal.

The pain in my ears has not changed. It feels like a dull/pressure/ clogged type of pain. Since the flight I have been unable to fully yawn which I believe is related. Every month or so I can taste a small amount of pus drain down the back of my throat. The pain is truly unbearable, I would rate it a 9 out of 10, and I don't know what to do.

Any advice or help would be really appreciated

Thank you

dredgy

Re: Retracted ear drum, 18 months pain

Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:08 am

Well, I've had this last for a couple of weeks, once it was completely unbearable. If its a damaged eardrum, there's little I can do with. If it's just unequalized Eustachian tubes, you can try a device like the ear popper.

This is definitely not the place for medical advice though.

Dutchy

Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:37 am

That sucks man, and perhaps a second opinion?

Alhf94
Topic Author

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:15 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Thanks, I've had a second opinion and the the ENT doctors have measured a problem in equalising ear pressure but aren't sure how to fix it.

Alhf94
Topic Author

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:19 pm

dredgy wrote:
Well, I've had this last for a couple of weeks, once it was completely unbearable. If its a damaged eardrum, there's little I can do with. If it's just unequalized Eustachian tubes, you can try a device like the ear popper.

This is definitely not the place for medical advice though.

Thanks, I'll give the ear popper a go. The ENT doctors don't believe it is unequalized ear pressure though.

I was hoping someone else has had a similar experience from flying and might know what to do. I can't be the only one with this problem :(

Alhf94
Topic Author

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:25 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Thanks, I've seen two ENT doctors and they have measured a problem in my ability to equalize the pressure in my ears but don't know what to do about it.

studentdrbev

Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:48 pm

Why is it so that flying on a full carrier like SQ, I get less intensive ear blocks while descending but flying on a LCC like AK, the blocks persist for few hours (sometimes even for days together) after landing?

Is it because the pilots for the full fledged airlines are more considerate to pax thereby leaving some thrust while descending to have the air circulating inside the cabin, unlike the LCC pilots?

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:26 am

studentdrbev wrote:
Why is it so that flying on a full carrier like SQ, I get less intensive ear blocks while descending but flying on a LCC like AK, the blocks persist for few hours (sometimes even for days together) after landing?

Is it because the pilots for the full fledged airlines are more considerate to pax thereby leaving some thrust while descending to have the air circulating inside the cabin, unlike the LCC pilots?

I was under the impression that LCCs like AK descends faster & at somewhat higher speeds. Could that be the issue?

studentdrbev

Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:01 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
studentdrbev wrote:

I was under the impression that LCCs like AK descends faster & at somewhat higher speeds. Could that be the issue?

Could be. I'm guessing the aircraft in itself could be a problem. Maybe flying a WB is what makes it least affecting.