sevenair
Posts: 2262
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:18 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:36 pm

Brexiteers: 'literally Hitler'.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/922288/uk-politics-diane-abbott-nazi-comparison-immigration-london-labour-party-news-latest

They just don't get it, do they? And the get more frantic by the day. I can't wait to see them in 400 days on Independence Day!
If diversity really is our strength, why do you have such a fear of hearing diverse opinions or those who are differently opinionated?
 
Reinhardt
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:05 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:41 pm

sevenair wrote:
The position of the UK government was pro EU and pro remain. A desire for freedom, control and sovereignty does not translate into loathing.


Ah yes the Brexiteers favourite meaningless phrases.. "freedom" "control" "sovereignty". Never let the facts get in the way when you have headline grabbing, feel good phrases. Like the fact the UK has always had freedom. Always had sovereignty and always had control. That's why we have MEPs, voted for by the public. That's why we can veto something if we don't like it. 99% of UK people's gripes were caused by errors and mistakes by UK govenment over the years. Like the fact EU citizens if they don't have work for 3 months, can be removed. Like how Germany didn't allow people from Romania to settle until it had become a member for a set period of time. All perfectly legal EU laws that the UK never put into effect.

I have no idea why the workings of the EU were never taught in schools. Probably the same reason why personal finances aren't.

sevenair wrote:
Nobody is better equipped to deal with EU standards on goods as we are long term members of the EU. There is also the subject of concession. Just because we make a product compatible with the EU doesn’t mean we can’t sell products that are compatible with other countries with which we trade with. It could be as simple as labelling which is quite common today. We will see US products in the EU which simply need a label stuck over them in order to comply. Selling to one country doesn’t preclude us from selling identical or similar products to other countries. Take our typical DVD player where the same manufacturer will make the same product but with region specific tech specs. Look at cars where your UK model varies to the French model and the Spanish model but they’re all made in the same factory. They need to meet the EU standards but also market and region specific specs.


I think you massively underestimate the cost of having goods tested and labelled for sale in the EU and then having to do the same for another set of potentially different regulations. Yes the EU ones are usually the highest in the world in most circumstances so you could argue therefore they are compliant with other countries, but that level or conformity is not something that will be decided by the UK.

Something else to think about in regards to trading with out countries under WTO rules if we went hard brexit, you would have to have the same tariff applied to every country, so you could do a deal with the US (which by the way would only ever be a one way deal, and the US is a massive trading partner of the UK whilst it is in the EU so I have no idea how much better people expect it to be when outside of) with x value import tariff or no tariff but you would then have to apply that to every other country you wanted to trade with under WTO. That would completely destroy UK farming. The UK doesn't make enough food to feed itself as it is, let alone doing something as stupid as this. You are also then at risk of having to import goods that are less quality that those we had from the EU, or with less safeguards in place for the employees of the goods who made them. For what point? So you can feel like you have "control" "freedom" and "sovereignty"!

sevenair wrote:
Your solution won’t work. The GFA is non negotiable. I didn’t have my childhood ruined by IRA bombs and come metres from losing my father to one of them to simply destroy it when there is absolutely no need to.


My Dad narrowly escaped 3 IRA bombs in London over a period of 20 years. Nobody needs to risk the Good Friday agreement in any way shape or form. Brexit does exactly that.

sevenair wrote:
The EU is trying to drive a wedge between the UK and ROI. Brexit will happen and there will likely be concessions on both sides.


Nonsense. The EU is standing up for it's members rights, just as you would expect the UK govenment to do. The difference is the EU is doing a proper co-ordinated job of it, whilst the UK flounders.
 
ElPistolero
Posts: 1507
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:44 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:06 pm

Aesma wrote:
Well they'll be out of the EU, they can blame it on themselves who have voted for that outcome. And certainly not on the EU.


Hah - no. People who've spent the last 2+ years blaming immigrants and the EU for all of their problems (real and imagined) will always find a way to blame someone else.

If anything goes wrong, they, will blame the remainers, the elites, the EU, BBC, business leaders etc. It'll be like arguing with a communist - the problems will never be attributed to the ideology; they will always be blamed on the implementer.

The simple solution is to put the ideologues in charge of the implementation. Just a pity that no one thinks they are competent enough to take charge.
 
Olddog
Topic Author
Posts: 628
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:41 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:08 pm

So eight hours meeting for that: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ister-says


May’s Cabinet Backs the Brexit Plan the EU Is Poised to Reject

The agreement among May’s top ministers -- who include chief Brexit-backer Boris Johnson and pro-EU Chancellor of the Exchequer Philip Hammond -- now means that May can write the speech setting out her negotiating goals next week.

Talks with the EU in Brussels are due to turn to the future trading relationship after a summit on March 22. The two sides are aiming to wrap up the basic framework of a free trade agreement by October.

Hunt, the health secretary, wasn’t present at the gathering of May’s Brexit strategy group but was sent onto the radio to brief the world on what happened. He confirmed there were “divergent views” among ministers but said the meeting “was a very positive discussion and we have made good progress.”

“We will, as a sovereign power, have the right to choose to diverge,” Hunt said. “What we won’t be doing is accepting changes in rules because the EU unilaterally chooses to make those changes.”

It seems unlikely that the EU will sign up to such a plan. The European Commission -- and leaders such as Germany’s Angela Merkel -- have repeatedly ruled out allowing Britain to “cherry pick” the best bits of EU membership without accepting the obligations it entails.

Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte, an ally of the U.K. who wants Britain to stay close to the EU after the split, also made clear on Friday that picking and choosing wasn’t an option.

“If you want something there are certain rules we all have to abide by,” he told reporters in Brussels.

Read more: EU Says May’s Brexit Plan Won’t Work as She Seeks Cabinet Deal

On Wednesday, the Commission published a slideshow presentation that rejected the U.K.’s emerging strategy as “not compatible with the principles” of the bloc’s negotiating position.


I wonder when the UK will stop to ask for something they perfectly know they can't get without breaking the EU rules.
 
sevenair
Posts: 2262
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:18 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:24 pm

Olddog wrote:
So eight hours meeting for that: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ister-says


May’s Cabinet Backs the Brexit Plan the EU Is Poised to Reject

The agreement among May’s top ministers -- who include chief Brexit-backer Boris Johnson and pro-EU Chancellor of the Exchequer Philip Hammond -- now means that May can write the speech setting out her negotiating goals next week.

Talks with the EU in Brussels are due to turn to the future trading relationship after a summit on March 22. The two sides are aiming to wrap up the basic framework of a free trade agreement by October.

Hunt, the health secretary, wasn’t present at the gathering of May’s Brexit strategy group but was sent onto the radio to brief the world on what happened. He confirmed there were “divergent views” among ministers but said the meeting “was a very positive discussion and we have made good progress.”

“We will, as a sovereign power, have the right to choose to diverge,” Hunt said. “What we won’t be doing is accepting changes in rules because the EU unilaterally chooses to make those changes.”

It seems unlikely that the EU will sign up to such a plan. The European Commission -- and leaders such as Germany’s Angela Merkel -- have repeatedly ruled out allowing Britain to “cherry pick” the best bits of EU membership without accepting the obligations it entails.

Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte, an ally of the U.K. who wants Britain to stay close to the EU after the split, also made clear on Friday that picking and choosing wasn’t an option.

“If you want something there are certain rules we all have to abide by,” he told reporters in Brussels.

Read more: EU Says May’s Brexit Plan Won’t Work as She Seeks Cabinet Deal

On Wednesday, the Commission published a slideshow presentation that rejected the U.K.’s emerging strategy as “not compatible with the principles” of the bloc’s negotiating position.


I wonder when the UK will stop to ask for something they perfectly know they can't get without breaking the EU rules.


Great. Now we know that it won’t be accepted let’s just get on with hard Brexit. That’s a real Brexit free from the shackles of the EUSSR and best of all means no £50+ billion divorce bill.
If diversity really is our strength, why do you have such a fear of hearing diverse opinions or those who are differently opinionated?
 
Olddog
Topic Author
Posts: 628
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:41 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:36 pm

I know you are a bit special, but if you have not get yet that UK will pay the contributions to the EU budget already agreed........ You can go for the hardest Brexit you can imagine !
 
tommy1808
Posts: 7894
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:48 pm

sevenair wrote:
That’s a real Brexit free from the shackles of the EUSSR and best of all means no £50+ billion divorce bill.


And be free of your by far biggest export market and supplier of components for manufacturing in the UK? You know, to build the stuff you want to export. Or be separated from those markets and supply by a lot of bureaucracy and tariffs on top?

Maybe you are right and May is hard remain. It is hard not to get the impression she wants to kill prosperity in the UK so dead that going back to the EU is the only option.

It is not like "we don´t want the shackles of the EUSSR and love over sovereignty" worked so well the last time...

Image

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
sevenair
Posts: 2262
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:18 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:50 pm

Olddog wrote:
I know you are a bit special, but if you have not get yet that UK will pay the contributions to the EU budget already agreed........ You can go for the hardest Brexit you can imagine !


No my friend. We have promised that we will pay for things we are committed to and made it clear we are prepared to pay for a sensible deal. No deal means no ongoin payments.
If diversity really is our strength, why do you have such a fear of hearing diverse opinions or those who are differently opinionated?
 
sevenair
Posts: 2262
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:18 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:53 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
sevenair wrote:
That’s a real Brexit free from the shackles of the EUSSR and best of all means no £50+ billion divorce bill.


And be free of your by far biggest export market and supplier of components for manufacturing in the UK? You know, to build the stuff you want to export. Or be separated from those markets and supply by a lot of bureaucracy and tariffs on top?

Maybe you are right and May is hard remain. It is hard not to get the impression she wants to kill prosperity in the UK so dead that going back to the EU is the only option.

It is not like "we don´t want the shackles of the EUSSR and love over sovereignty" worked so well the last time...

Image

best regards
Thomas


That would mean a surge in UKIP. Lib Dem were destroyed with their pro remain nonsense in GE17 so I doubt May is trying to get us to rejoin because it’ll be on worse terms and people would likely desert the Tories. Rejoining is likely to be labour’s ‘thing’.
If diversity really is our strength, why do you have such a fear of hearing diverse opinions or those who are differently opinionated?
 
tommy1808
Posts: 7894
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:54 pm

sevenair wrote:
we have promised that we will pay for things we are committed to and made it clear


and that is the 50 Billion. But thank you for playing.

we are prepared to pay for a sensible deal. No deal means no ongoin payments.


The EU doesn´t sell trade deals, so no money required for sensible trade deal. Only sensible people on the UK side are required, they are free and sovereign after all, while the EU is bound to the rules the UK helped making and agreed to.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
sevenair
Posts: 2262
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:18 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:42 pm

So the hard remainers on a.net make fun of the UK for wanting a bold and progressive relationship all of the time. It’s now perfectly clear as they’re advocating EXTORTION!

How does this fit with the principles of the EU!?

Pretty well I would say.
If diversity really is our strength, why do you have such a fear of hearing diverse opinions or those who are differently opinionated?
 
tommy1808
Posts: 7894
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:27 pm

sevenair wrote:
It’s now perfectly clear as they’re advocating EXTORTION!


It is extortion just as much as not letting a toddler have a pound of ice cream before dinner is child abuse

How does this fit with the principles of the EU!?


Yeah, terribly sorry that we don´t readily toss out the principles, the UK was involved in drafting, just because you are throwing tantrums.

It is not like anything that happened after Brexit was a surprise.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
sevenair
Posts: 2262
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:18 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:20 pm

It's time to go global and cast off the shackles that have held us back for so long.

https://moneyweek.com/brexit-is-an-opportunity-to-ditch-trade-barriers-completely/
If diversity really is our strength, why do you have such a fear of hearing diverse opinions or those who are differently opinionated?
 
tommy1808
Posts: 7894
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:31 pm

sevenair wrote:
It's time to go global and cast off the shackles that have held us back for so long.


You do realize that would include accepting all foreign product and safety standards, right? Those are trade barriers after all. By bye Control & Sovereignty.

But i would like to see the results of removing all trade barriers with China and watch how that effects the trade balance. Good that you want to do that experiment.



"at the moment policymakers don’t hear from those who shop at Aldi and Lidl"

1980 called and wants its prejudices about Aldi and Lidl back....

And truly excellent to cry about how biased the BBC is, but then linking to statements from Policy Exchange ....

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
Olddog
Topic Author
Posts: 628
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:41 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:36 pm

sevenair wrote:
It's time to go global and cast off the shackles that have held us back for so long.

https://moneyweek.com/brexit-is-an-opportunity-to-ditch-trade-barriers-completely/


Go rather read that website, owned by a well know brexiter, but one with a brain : http://eureferendum.com/
 
User avatar
par13del
Posts: 7803
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:37 pm

Olddog wrote:
I wonder when the UK will stop to ask for something they perfectly know they can't get without breaking the EU rules.

It is amazing how this simple statement is overlooked in the whole Brexit debate, basically everything that the UK voted for in the referendum breaks the EU rules, you either abide by the EU rules or you do not, everything else talked about is simply a waste of time and resources to come back to the same default position.
 
Olddog
Topic Author
Posts: 628
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:41 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:56 pm

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... lies-ahead

Theresa May is braced for her Cabinet to split when the European Union rejects her demands for a sweeping free trade deal, after her senior team agreed to put off the hardest Brexit decisions until later.

Despite the Cabinet truce after months of internal division, three senior government officials said May will face her most challenging task keeping her ministers united when -- as they expect -- EU leaders formally reject the British approach.

The U.K. prime minister won the backing of her ministers to ask the EU for the most ambitious and wide-ranging trade agreement the bloc has ever signed, after a marathon eight-hour meeting at her country house on Thursday.

Rival Brexit-campaigners and pro-Europeans in her Cabinet declared themselves satisfied with the plan to pick and choose from the EU’s regulations voluntarily, which she will set out in more detail in a speech on Friday March 2.

But if the EU rejects the proposal, as it has said it will, the hardest questions will then demand answers. Those include how to solve the riddle of the Irish border, which regulators will police the future trade deal, and how customs checks will operate.
 
sevenair
Posts: 2262
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:18 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:25 pm

Oh dear. Clueless Labour. Clueless Abbott. Or is it simply more racism to point out the she hasn't got a clue?

Embarrassed for her!

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/shelagh-fogarty/shelagh-diane-abbott-the-same-question-seven-times/
If diversity really is our strength, why do you have such a fear of hearing diverse opinions or those who are differently opinionated?
 
sevenair
Posts: 2262
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:18 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:30 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
sevenair wrote:
It's time to go global and cast off the shackles that have held us back for so long.


You do realize that would include accepting all foreign product and safety standards, right? Those are trade barriers after all. By bye Control & Sovereignty.

But i would like to see the results of removing all trade barriers with China and watch how that effects the trade balance. Good that you want to do that experiment.



"at the moment policymakers don’t hear from those who shop at Aldi and Lidl"

1980 called and wants its prejudices about Aldi and Lidl back....

And truly excellent to cry about how biased the BBC is, but then linking to statements from Policy Exchange ....

best regards
Thomas


Oh ALDI (whose goods are 77% British sourced) and LIDL, those much loved stores (eexcept their cola - tastes like paracetamol to me) and I count myself as a fan but I'm fairly certain part of project fear told us they'd leave, as would IKEA, another continental favourite of mine. In fact, since the vote, all three have reaffirmed their operations in the UK and have ALL expanded!
If diversity really is our strength, why do you have such a fear of hearing diverse opinions or those who are differently opinionated?
 
mmo
Posts: 1483
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:50 pm

sevenair wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
sevenair wrote:
It's time to go global and cast off the shackles that have held us back for so long.


You do realize that would include accepting all foreign product and safety standards, right? Those are trade barriers after all. By bye Control & Sovereignty.

But i would like to see the results of removing all trade barriers with China and watch how that effects the trade balance. Good that you want to do that experiment.



"at the moment policymakers don’t hear from those who shop at Aldi and Lidl"

1980 called and wants its prejudices about Aldi and Lidl back....

And truly excellent to cry about how biased the BBC is, but then linking to statements from Policy Exchange ....

best regards
Thomas


Oh ALDI (whose goods are 77% British sourced) and LIDL, those much loved stores (eexcept their cola - tastes like paracetamol to me) and I count myself as a fan but I'm fairly certain part of project fear told us they'd leave, as would IKEA, another continental favourite of mine. In fact, since the vote, all three have reaffirmed their operations in the UK and have ALL expanded!



Maybe you could point me in the direction of all those countries who are just waiting to do a "deal" with the UK for increased trade? You must be drinking the same kool-aid as Boris is. Remember, everything comes with a price. India showed it's hand very early on and the US has given the UK a quick peek. It doesn't look good. But then again, the EU needs the UK more than the UK needs the EU!!!! Imagine how good service will be with the NHS when they get that money every week!!!
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!
 
User avatar
par13del
Posts: 7803
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:11 pm

mmo wrote:
Imagine how good service will be with the NHS when they get that money every week!!!

...caveat being that they won't have the money for said service since they have agreed to continue to pay into the EU for commitments.
So whatever cost savings leaving the EU would have gained allowing said funds to be spent on NHS has long since gone bye bye, another point overlooked by those who want a hard brexit.
It may be a good thing, since the NHS is already getting billions and wasting an awful lot, maybe with the purse strings drawn tighter, smarter minds will start looking at the service and figure out how to do more with less.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 10126
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:19 pm

“We will, as a sovereign power, have the right to choose to diverge,” Hunt said. “What we won’t be doing is accepting changes in rules because the EU unilaterally chooses to make those changes.”

So he's saying the UK will unilaterally diverge, but the EU somehow shouldn't unilaterally diverge ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
sevenair
Posts: 2262
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:18 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:14 pm

Aw bless. Hard remain and anti democratic war criminal says we should have a second referendum in true EU style and keep asking the same question until the EU gets the answer it wants.

We won’t.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... g-12078265
If diversity really is our strength, why do you have such a fear of hearing diverse opinions or those who are differently opinionated?
 
User avatar
Dano1977
Posts: 687
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:49 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:23 pm

The customs union amendment now has enough Tory signatures on it to overturn the government's majority, and more will come on board before Monday. May is going to lose this if it actually goes to a vote. There will no doubt be a lot of frantic negotiations over the weekend to try and avoid the prospect of a government defeat in the Commons, but the outcome looks pretty clear - the Brexit bill will explicitly state that we are staying in a/the customs union.
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.
 
User avatar
par13del
Posts: 7803
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:23 pm

Dano1977 wrote:
The customs union amendment now has enough Tory signatures on it to overturn the government's majority, and more will come on board before Monday. May is going to lose this if it actually goes to a vote. There will no doubt be a lot of frantic negotiations over the weekend to try and avoid the prospect of a government defeat in the Commons, but the outcome looks pretty clear - the Brexit bill will explicitly state that we are staying in a/the customs union.

So in essence the end of Brexit is neigh, and they did not even have to go to court to get it resolved.
 
sevenair
Posts: 2262
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:18 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:06 am

Onward Brexit soldiers...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/02/23/divergence-wins-brexiteers-claim-victory-chequers-talks/

We are going solo yet will still align ourselves with some EU directives particularly product standards. Our animal welfare standards already well exceed those of the EU and allowing complete divergence in some sectors.
If diversity really is our strength, why do you have such a fear of hearing diverse opinions or those who are differently opinionated?
 
JJJ
Posts: 2835
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 5:12 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:38 am

sevenair wrote:
Onward Brexit soldiers...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/02/23/divergence-wins-brexiteers-claim-victory-chequers-talks/

We are going solo yet will still align ourselves with some EU directives particularly product standards. Our animal welfare standards already well exceed those of the EU and allowing complete divergence in some sectors.


Hot air.

https://www.ft.com/content/a5f6feae-189 ... c814761640

"“The cabinet is not negotiating with itself,” said Peter Mandelson, former EU trade commissioner. “It is negotiating with the EU and this plan will soon hit reality.”

“It is not à la carte,” Mr Varadkar said. “It is not possible for the UK to be aligned to EU when it suits and not when it doesn’t. The UK needs to square that circle. It doesn’t appear that the circle has yet been squared.”
 
Olddog
Topic Author
Posts: 628
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:41 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:22 am

https://www.politico.eu/article/donald- ... -illusion/

Donald Tusk: UK Brexit position is ‘pure illusion’

European Council president says EU27 would resist British attempts to cherry-pick benefits of single market.

The U.K.’s negotiating position on its relationship with the EU post Brexit is based on “pure illusion,” according to European Council President Donald Tusk.

Speaking at a press conference following a summit of EU leaders in Brussels, Tusk was dismissive of the agreement reportedly reached among senior U.K. Cabinet ministers at a meeting Thursday to get behind a position of “managed divergence” in some sectors of the single market but not others.

“If the media reports are correct I’m afraid that the U.K. position today is based on pure illusion. It looks like the cake philosophy is still alive,” he said, referring to the British fondness for having cake and eating it too. “From the very start there has been a key principle, there can be no cherry-picking and no single market à la carte,” Tusk added.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 5731
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:27 am

JJJ wrote:
sevenair wrote:
Onward Brexit soldiers...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/02/23/divergence-wins-brexiteers-claim-victory-chequers-talks/

We are going solo yet will still align ourselves with some EU directives particularly product standards. Our animal welfare standards already well exceed those of the EU and allowing complete divergence in some sectors.


Hot air.

https://www.ft.com/content/a5f6feae-189 ... c814761640

"“The cabinet is not negotiating with itself,” said Peter Mandelson, former EU trade commissioner. “It is negotiating with the EU and this plan will soon hit reality.”

“It is not à la carte,” Mr Varadkar said. “It is not possible for the UK to be aligned to EU when it suits and not when it doesn’t. The UK needs to square that circle. It doesn’t appear that the circle has yet been squared.”


that's what I've been saying for years, Brittain has got to choose what they want, how much access versus how much "independence".
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
Arion640
Posts: 1336
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:27 pm

EU Leaders doing battle on how to fill the void left by Britains contributions:

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/arti ... ssion=true

This could get messy.

The Netherlands do not want to pay anymore than they currently are doing, what do you think Dutchy, should the Netherlands pay more?
319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 738 744 752 753 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75.

No CONC sadly.
 
Olddog
Topic Author
Posts: 628
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:41 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:15 pm

Each time the budget time comes up, it is the same mess and in the end they always find a deal :)
 
sevenair
Posts: 2262
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:18 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:59 pm

If diversity really is our strength, why do you have such a fear of hearing diverse opinions or those who are differently opinionated?
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 5731
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:29 pm

Arion640 wrote:
EU Leaders doing battle on how to fill the void left by Britains contributions:

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/arti ... ssion=true

This could get messy.

The Netherlands do not want to pay anymore than they currently are doing, what do you think Dutchy, should the Netherlands pay more?


Bit of a leading question, don't you think @Arion640?

I think the Dutch should pay their fair share, it is quite tiny compared to everything else and if the EU is going to do more for that money than go for it, I will happily pay more. I do think, however, that a lot of EU subsidies can be better spent elsewhere, so that needs to be addressed first, before talking about raising the budget.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 5731
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:32 pm

sevenair wrote:


Companies are adjusting, so the promised economic boom didn't happen, as didn't the total economic collapse. But it is worthwhile to see the statistics about the British economy, it seems to be more towards economic downfall then the boom, which is also quite logical ofcourse.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
Arion640
Posts: 1336
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:50 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
EU Leaders doing battle on how to fill the void left by Britains contributions:

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/arti ... ssion=true

This could get messy.

The Netherlands do not want to pay anymore than they currently are doing, what do you think Dutchy, should the Netherlands pay more?


Bit of a leading question, don't you think @Arion640?

I think the Dutch should pay their fair share, it is quite tiny compared to everything else and if the EU is going to do more for that money than go for it, I will happily pay more. I do think, however, that a lot of EU subsidies can be better spent elsewhere, so that needs to be addressed first, before talking about raising the budget.


That wasn't the intent of it at all. I just wanted to get the opinion of someone who actually lives in the Netherlands so thank you for your input.
319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 738 744 752 753 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75.

No CONC sadly.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 10126
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:26 pm

sevenair wrote:


Some words and a letter don't mean much. Especially in the context of current programs, yes wings of planes in production will continue to be made there, what matters will be when Airbus launches a new program. Shouldn't happen for a few years, by then Brexit should have happened, then we'll see what Airbus decides. If Britain is in the gutter it might even push them to stay, as that would make production there cheaper.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 5731
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:32 pm

Arion640 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
EU Leaders doing battle on how to fill the void left by Britains contributions:

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/arti ... ssion=true

This could get messy.

The Netherlands do not want to pay anymore than they currently are doing, what do you think Dutchy, should the Netherlands pay more?


Bit of a leading question, don't you think @Arion640?

I think the Dutch should pay their fair share, it is quite tiny compared to everything else and if the EU is going to do more for that money than go for it, I will happily pay more. I do think, however, that a lot of EU subsidies can be better spent elsewhere, so that needs to be addressed first, before talking about raising the budget.


That wasn't the intent of it at all. I just wanted to get the opinion of someone who actually lives in the Netherlands so thank you for your input.


No problem, but remember, I only speak fo myself ;-)
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
sevenair
Posts: 2262
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:18 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:38 pm

If diversity really is our strength, why do you have such a fear of hearing diverse opinions or those who are differently opinionated?
 
Arion640
Posts: 1336
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:44 pm

sevenair wrote:


This just shows why a good brexit deal is vital for all. Would hate to see Ireland go down the pan.
319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 738 744 752 753 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75.

No CONC sadly.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 5731
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:48 pm

Arion640 wrote:
sevenair wrote:


This just shows why a good brexit deal is vital for all. Would hate to see Ireland go down the pan.


sure, a Norwegian type of structure, if only the British would agree to that...
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
Arion640
Posts: 1336
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:08 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
sevenair wrote:


This just shows why a good brexit deal is vital for all. Would hate to see Ireland go down the pan.


sure, a Norwegian type of structure, if only the British would agree to that...


The problem is in England is outside of London the general opinion is a clean break from the EU. The main reason being, Free movement has to go.
319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 738 744 752 753 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75.

No CONC sadly.
 
mmo
Posts: 1483
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:07 pm

Arion640 wrote:

The problem is in England is outside of London the general opinion is a clean break from the EU. The main reason being, Free movement has to go.


Perhaps you mean in the north, but certainly, generally speaking, the South is very pro-remain. I am not sure where you are getting your info, but it isn't quite right.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!
 
Arion640
Posts: 1336
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:10 pm

mmo wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

The problem is in England is outside of London the general opinion is a clean break from the EU. The main reason being, Free movement has to go.


Perhaps you mean in the north, but certainly, generally speaking, the South is very pro-remain. I am not sure where you are getting your info, but it isn't quite right.


https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc. ... s-36616028

Please see the news article and scroll down to a 1975/2016 comparison.

All of the southwest is blue, a lot of the South east and apart from London and a few other pockets of Remain pretty much whole of the England is blue. Wales is also blue.

I'm not sure where you are getting your info, but it isn't quite right.
319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 738 744 752 753 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75.

No CONC sadly.
 
User avatar
par13del
Posts: 7803
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:26 am

Dutchy wrote:
that's what I've been saying for years, Brittain has got to choose what they want, how much access versus how much "independence".

As mentioned time and time again by the EU there is no cherry picking, you are either in the EU or out, the politicians in the UK just refuse to accept their marching orders. Th integration of so many aspects of the EU way of life was just for this reason, in for a penny in for a pound so...I still do not get the value of the Norway model, they may as well be full members, so far to me it is a distinction without a difference.
 
mmo
Posts: 1483
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:35 am

Arion640 wrote:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc. ... s-36616028

Please see the news article and scroll down to a 1975/2016 comparison.

All of the southwest is blue, a lot of the South east and apart from London and a few other pockets of Remain pretty much whole of the England is blue. Wales is also blue.

I'm not sure where you are getting your info, but it isn't quite right.


https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng ... ll-results

Here is where I am getting my info. Your info is the results of the election and somewhat dated. If you look at just about every survey taken since the referendum, you will see the gradual change in opinions as the issues keep rising to the surface on Brexit. So as I said before, I am not sure where you are getting your info but it isn't quite right and terribly out of date.

Funny thing is I haven't spoken with anyone who will admit to voting to leave.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!
 
sevenair
Posts: 2262
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:18 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:24 am

Duplicate





Filler
Last edited by sevenair on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
If diversity really is our strength, why do you have such a fear of hearing diverse opinions or those who are differently opinionated?
 
sevenair
Posts: 2262
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:18 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:27 am

Theresa May: our best days are ahead of us

Even hard remain Australian owned SKY NEWS (who are trying to deny the UK the same freedoms, controls and sovereignty that Australia enjoys) have this story:

https://news.sky.com/story/theresa-may-the-uks-best-days-lie-ahead-of-us-11266711

Day by day WTO is more likely. Let’s stop the EU stringing us along. None of their options deliver real Brexit. Let’s spend the time and money on preparing for WTO. We should not pay them a penny as we’re not getting anything from them. No divorce bill.
If diversity really is our strength, why do you have such a fear of hearing diverse opinions or those who are differently opinionated?
 
Arion640
Posts: 1336
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:27 am

mmo wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc. ... s-36616028

Please see the news article and scroll down to a 1975/2016 comparison.

All of the southwest is blue, a lot of the South east and apart from London and a few other pockets of Remain pretty much whole of the England is blue. Wales is also blue.

I'm not sure where you are getting your info, but it isn't quite right.


https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng ... ll-results

Here is where I am getting my info. Your info is the results of the election and somewhat dated. If you look at just about every survey taken since the referendum, you will see the gradual change in opinions as the issues keep rising to the surface on Brexit. So as I said before, I am not sure where you are getting your info but it isn't quite right and terribly out of date.

Funny thing is I haven't spoken with anyone who will admit to voting to leave.


Because you couldn't find evidence to support your claims, you quickly had to come up with something.

I would rather go on an official referendum poll conducted by the government than one conducted by the left wing guardian with an extremely small sample size.

Oh so you've never spoken to a leave voter? I guess because you've never spoken to one, it didn't happen!
319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 738 744 752 753 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75.

No CONC sadly.
 
Arion640
Posts: 1336
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:37 am

sevenair wrote:
Theresa May: our best days are ahead of us

Even hard remain Australian owned SKY NEWS (who are trying to deny the UK the same freedoms, controls and sovereignty that Australia enjoys) have this story:

https://news.sky.com/story/theresa-may-the-uks-best-days-lie-ahead-of-us-11266711

Day by day WTO is more likely. Let’s stop the EU stringing us along. None of their options deliver real Brexit. Let’s spend the time and money on preparing for WTO. We should not pay them a penny as we’re not getting anything from them. No divorce bill.


Please keep sharing these news articles. I enjoy reading them and helps to add to a quality discussion.
319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 738 744 752 753 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75.

No CONC sadly.
 
Olddog
Topic Author
Posts: 628
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:41 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:02 am

You seem confused. I, for one, am totally agree for a wto/Ceta solution. I am totally against your cherry picking attempts.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jouhou, LJ, TheF15Ace and 28 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos