ElPistolero

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:41 am

sevenair wrote:

Funny you remoaners have tried and failed again and again to overturn the ‘will of the people’ because the result wasn’t as you liked and have tried to overturn Brexit and now you’re all triggered because the DM wants to overturn the decision to make blue passports on the mainland? You’re all actually beyond parody now! Trade restrictions are what the EU is all about my friend.

"Triggered" suggests anger. No one here really cares about where those passports are made. We (and by we, I mean literally the whole world - this story is everywhere) are just laughing at Priti Patel and now, JRM. And the other Brexiteers triggered by this issue. Talk about parody.

You know, people who talk a big game on free trade and pretend to dislike protectionism. And then start campaigning for protectionism, and against free trade, before the ink on their free trade speeches has dried. Quality stuff - says a lot about the people they represent.

So what's it going to be: free trade Britain or Bannonbart Britain? NHS or Made in the U.K. passports?

GDB

Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:03 pm

scbriml wrote:
GDB wrote:
Just watched an old Alan Partridge Mid Morning Matters episode, something was bothering me, then it struck me, this fictional character, with all his petty small mindedness, obsessions with a very narrow version of some history, preening, jealousy, has become a parody of the Brexit loons, though the character has been around for 25 years.
We are living in Partridge Britain, reading sevenair's posts (please tell me they/he is a parody too) just brings that realisation home.

I wouldn't call it a parody, it's really a pretty accurate reflection of many Brexiteers.

It certainly has come to pass, Farage is essentially Partridge had the character been to a posh school, been 'something in the City', Liam Fox has many of the same delusional traits and the nearest female version has to be Priti 'Vacant' Patel.

Richard28

Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:22 pm

Ironically, I understand that Alan partridge is coming back for a new season in 2018 as just this - a Brexit supporter - steve coogan has also realised the similarities as you have!

zkojq

Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:45 pm

sevenair wrote:
zkojq wrote:
sevenair wrote:
steady house price growth

:rotfl: A stupid pillar of Anglo-Saxonism is that people like you think that this is a good thing.

Indeed I do. I invest hundreds of thousands of pounds into something that doesn’t depreciate in value. Pretty sound reasoning.

If not then why were we promised house price crashes by the remain side? Sure that’s a good thing in their warped minds?

Not sound reasoning at all if it results in extreme house price inflation, decreasing affordability. The long term effect is that everyone has to spend a bigger %age of their paycheck to cover their mortgage if they wish to own their own home. Look at how ridiculously overpriced any kind of flat in London is. Of course it doesn't have to be this way...

In World's Best-Run Economy, House Prices Keep Falling -- Because That's What House Prices Are Supposed To Do

In buying a charming if rundown house in the picturesque German town of Goerlitz, he was surprised – very pleasantly – to find city officials second-guessing the deal. The price he had agreed was too high, they said,

Rather than keep their noses out of the economy, German officials glory in influencing market outcomes. While the Goerlitz authorities are probably exceptional in the degree to which they micromanage house prices, a fundamental principle of German economics is to keep housing costs stable and affordable.

It is hard to quarrel with the results. On figures cited in 2012 by the British housing consultant Colin Wiles, one-bedroom apartments in Berlin were then selling for as little as $55,000, and four-bedroom detached houses in the Rhineland for just $80,000. Broadly equivalent properties in New York City and Silicon Valley were selling for as much as ten times higher.

Although conventional wisdom in the English-speaking world holds that bureaucratic intervention in prices makes for subpar outcomes, the fact is that the German economy is by any standards one of the world’s most successful.

On Wiles’s figures, German house prices in 2012 represented a 10 percent decrease in real terms compared to thirty years ago. That is a particularly astounding performance compared to the UK, where real prices rose by more than 230 percent in the same period.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/eamonnfing ... ab1a9d6ad0
Most recent aircraft flown: A318 F-GUGQ, A319 F-GRHR, A320ceo D-AIZH, A320neo D-AINE, A330-300 VH-QPD, A350-900 B-LRA, A380-800 D-AIMH, 717 VH-YQW, 737-600 LN-RPA, 737-700 OY-JTY, 737-800 LN-NGA, 767-300 ZK-NCI, 777-300 ZK-OKN, 787-9 VH-ZNA, CS100 HB-JBG

zkojq

Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:07 pm

scbriml wrote:
GDB wrote:
Just watched an old Alan Partridge Mid Morning Matters episode, something was bothering me, then it struck me, this fictional character, with all his petty small mindedness, obsessions with a very narrow version of some history, preening, jealousy, has become a parody of the Brexit loons, though the character has been around for 25 years.
We are living in Partridge Britain, reading sevenair's posts (please tell me they/he is a parody too) just brings that realisation home.

I wouldn't call it a parody, it's really a pretty accurate reflection of many Brexiteers.

Exactly. For most of the Brexitards significant economic damage is the price worth paying to leave the EU. Of course most of them are oldies who aren't too dependant on the job market.

Most Leave voters say that “significant damage” to the economy is a “price worth paying” for Brexit, underlining the sharp political divides in the UK and the difficulty facing pro-EU advocates.

Nearly 40 per cent of Leave voters said that the loss of their own or a family member’s job would be “a price worth paying” for Brexit. A similar proportion disagreed, while 23 per cent were unsure, the YouGov survey found.

The findings potentially undermine arguments by Chancellor Philip Hammond that Britain “did not vote to become poorer” in last year’s referendum.

“While it might not quite be ‘[Brexit at] any cost’, it is clear that a large number of Leave voters are willing to pay a heavy price for Brexit,” said Matthew Smith, a data journalist at YouGov.

https://www.ft.com/content/1b636ba8-76b ... 495fe6ca71
Most recent aircraft flown: A318 F-GUGQ, A319 F-GRHR, A320ceo D-AIZH, A320neo D-AINE, A330-300 VH-QPD, A350-900 B-LRA, A380-800 D-AIMH, 717 VH-YQW, 737-600 LN-RPA, 737-700 OY-JTY, 737-800 LN-NGA, 767-300 ZK-NCI, 777-300 ZK-OKN, 787-9 VH-ZNA, CS100 HB-JBG

sevenair

Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:37 pm

So. An Iraqi who likely answered mad Merkel's calls to allow everyone and their granny into Germany came to the UK illegally despite us all being savagely racist and tried to blow up a tube train full of people. How does the EU fanatical BBC report this? Oh yes! It was a 'Surrey teenager'. Not an Isis sympathising Iraqi terrorist.

Yes. We have border controls but this 'Surrey teenager' still made it in. Mad Merkel has realised the errors of her ways and tried to force other EU nations to share the strain and they've rightly rejected her.

It's honest, hardworking EU nationals living in the EU who I fear for and sympathise with. They didn't ask for this and there's precious little they can do about it. Once they're in they're in.
Keep moving the goalposts and you'll never be proven wrong.

sevenair

Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:43 pm

zkojq wrote:
sevenair wrote:
zkojq wrote:
:rotfl: A stupid pillar of Anglo-Saxonism is that people like you think that this is a good thing.

Indeed I do. I invest hundreds of thousands of pounds into something that doesn’t depreciate in value. Pretty sound reasoning.

If not then why were we promised house price crashes by the remain side? Sure that’s a good thing in their warped minds?

Not sound reasoning at all if it results in extreme house price inflation, decreasing affordability. The long term effect is that everyone has to spend a bigger %age of their paycheck to cover their mortgage if they wish to own their own home. Look at how ridiculously overpriced any kind of flat in London is. Of course it doesn't have to be this way...

In World's Best-Run Economy, House Prices Keep Falling -- Because That's What House Prices Are Supposed To Do

In buying a charming if rundown house in the picturesque German town of Goerlitz, he was surprised – very pleasantly – to find city officials second-guessing the deal. The price he had agreed was too high, they said,

Rather than keep their noses out of the economy, German officials glory in influencing market outcomes. While the Goerlitz authorities are probably exceptional in the degree to which they micromanage house prices, a fundamental principle of German economics is to keep housing costs stable and affordable.

It is hard to quarrel with the results. On figures cited in 2012 by the British housing consultant Colin Wiles, one-bedroom apartments in Berlin were then selling for as little as $55,000, and four-bedroom detached houses in the Rhineland for just $80,000. Broadly equivalent properties in New York City and Silicon Valley were selling for as much as ten times higher.

Although conventional wisdom in the English-speaking world holds that bureaucratic intervention in prices makes for subpar outcomes, the fact is that the German economy is by any standards one of the world’s most successful.

On Wiles’s figures, German house prices in 2012 represented a 10 percent decrease in real terms compared to thirty years ago. That is a particularly astounding performance compared to the UK, where real prices rose by more than 230 percent in the same period.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/eamonnfing ... ab1a9d6ad0

Well, I'm an accidental landlord saddled with a house that's lost 40% of its value. I now have a second home closer to where I want to be and I'm stuck with the burden of a rental property so forgive me if I don't think a 1-2% annual growth rate is excessive. Many people have done well out of 230% house price rises but in the north that's very rare. Hyper price inflation has been standard in London for twenty years now. I don't see how short term stagnation nor short term deflation in London is a massive blow. I doubt there's many in negative equity there. There are up here in the north.

Regardless, that's beyond the scope of this conversation. We were promised by project fear that house prices would crash in the wake of the vote if we dared to leave the EU and that was a bad thing. Now the remainiacs are saying actually house price rises are a bad thing. It really is a struggle to keep up! We were told that we'd be '£4200 worse off'. When in five years time we have more disposable income are you going to turn around and try tell us that it's bad having more money than we need so we should be worse off anyway like you did with house prices? When in years to come when figures show there are more EU nationals working in the NHS than ever before are you going to turn around and say 'there's too many' of them as you told us that the NHS would collapse once we leave the EU.

scbriml

Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:21 pm

sevenair wrote:
So. An Iraqi who likely answered mad Merkel's calls to allow everyone and their granny into Germany came to the UK illegally despite us all being savagely racist and tried to blow up a tube train full of people.

He came into the country illegally in 2015 which has very little to do with us being in the EU since we've never been part of Schengen. Given he told immigration officers he'd been trained by IS, there was clearly a systemic failure of epic proportions that he wasn't more closely monitored. Again, nothing to do with us being in the EU, we shot ourselves in the foot.

sevenair wrote:
How does the EU fanatical BBC report this? Oh yes! It was a 'Surrey teenager'. Not an Isis sympathising Iraqi terrorist.

Since you clearly hate the BBC, why do you even bother with it, why not just get all your news from the Daily Mail? :confused:

zkojq wrote:
For most of the Brexitards...

Ha ha, Brexitards - I like that!

zkojq wrote:
Of course most of them are oldies who aren't too dependant on the job market.

I would fall into that category being retired, but voted to remain. Our constituency was comfortably in the remain camp. Both our daughters were devastated by the result, they're reasonably smart and understand what they're losing by leaving the EU.

Anyway, I'm off to have a soy latte because apparently that's what people who wanted to stay in the EU drink. :wink2:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

sevenair

Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:54 pm

scbriml wrote:
sevenair wrote:
So. An Iraqi who likely answered mad Merkel's calls to allow everyone and their granny into Germany came to the UK illegally despite us all being savagely racist and tried to blow up a tube train full of people.

He came into the country illegally in 2015 which has very little to do with us being in the EU since we've never been part of Schengen. Given he told immigration officers he'd been trained by IS, there was clearly a systemic failure of epic proportions that he wasn't more closely monitored. Again, nothing to do with us being in the EU, we shot ourselves in the foot.

sevenair wrote:
How does the EU fanatical BBC report this? Oh yes! It was a 'Surrey teenager'. Not an Isis sympathising Iraqi terrorist.

Since you clearly hate the BBC, why do you even bother with it, why not just get all your news from the Daily Mail? :confused:

zkojq wrote:

zkojq wrote:

I would fall into that category being retired, but voted to remain. Our constituency was comfortably in the remain camp. Both our daughters were devastated by the result, they're reasonably smart and understand what they're losing by leaving the EU.

Anyway, I'm off to have a soy latte because apparently that's what people who wanted to stay in the EU drink. :wink2:

That tweet was from twitter darling. I said he arrived illegally and didn't claim Brexit would help nor hinder the like but he came to the EU thanks to Mutti. Just like you remainiac soyboys are obsessed with blue passports, you're also obsessed with the Daily Mail!

scbriml

Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:13 pm

sevenair wrote:
That tweet was from twitter darling.

It might be Twitter, but it's still the BBC, sweetcheeks.

Anyway, how about an answer to the question?
scbriml wrote:
So tell us, sevenair, it's your choice - do you want our marvelous new blue passports made in Britain, or do you want an extra £120 million that could be spent on the NHS?
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

mmo

Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:32 pm

sevenair wrote:
It's honest, hardworking EU nationals living in the EU who I fear for and sympathise with. They didn't ask for this and there's precious little they can do about it. Once they're in they're in.

And you think this will change under Brexit, how????

Seriously, are you from this planet or do you not just get out much?
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

ElPistolero

Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:20 pm

sevenair wrote:
That tweet was from twitter darling. I said he arrived illegally and didn't claim Brexit would help nor hinder the like but he came to the EU thanks to Mutti. Just like you remainiac soyboys are obsessed with blue passports, you're also obsessed with the Daily Mail!

How do you know he came to the EU because of Mutti? In 2015, he was, what, 15? What rules apply to minors in such situations? Isn't that why he was allowed into the UK? Since you know everything about his case, so why not share with us?

But that aside, what do you make of the 7/7 attackers. Were they British? Or foreigners? I only ask because I want to know at what point legal immigrants to Britain become "British" in your mind.

Also, I much prefer the Daily Express to the Daily Mail.

sevenair

Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:54 am

So the remoaners had a £9,000,000 government sponsored remain leaflet campaign sent to every household. Untold sums spent by the EU trying to influence the vote. Our pro remain and part EU funded state broadcaster was also on remain side.

But yeah. A few hundred grand spent a bit too early a £100 of Facebook ads by the Russians is what done it!

https://news.sky.com/story/whistleblowe ... n-11303263

Onwards, Brexit soldiers. We’re leaving!
Last edited by sevenair on Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

AeroVega

Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:17 am

sevenair wrote:

I guess by hardworking EU nationals you mean Scandinavians, Dutch and Germans. Because Poles, Romanians and Spaniards, those are the EU nationals you don't want in the UK. right? That's why you are leaving the EU after all.

Well guess what: Scandinavia, The Netherlands and Germany will take them instead. But no problem for you as you can easily replace them by immigrants from your former colonies. Because you are going to need immigrants, whether you like it or not.

sevenair

Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:23 am

AeroVega wrote:
sevenair wrote:

I guess by hardworking EU nationals you mean Scandinavians, Dutch and Germans. Because Poles, Romanians and Spaniards, those are the EU nationals you don't want in the UK. right? That's why you are leaving the EU after all.

Well guess what: Scandinavia, The Netherlands and Germany will take them instead. But no problem for you as you can easily replace them by immigrants from your former colonies. Because you are going to need immigrants, whether you like it or not.

I run a company in my spare time and I’d say half of them are Czech, Polish and Sovenian but well done for believing the Guardian or the nonsense that we are all racist.

As for Germany and Sweden my sympathy is strictly limited as they were instrumental in this crazy idea of invited the world to our shores and expecting the rest of us to continue to pay for German guilt. The swedes were the biggest surprised and they’ve well and truly hit the self destruct button.

I recall when a Polish man was sadly beaten and murdered in the weeks after the vote to take our country back. You lot were adamant that it was absolutely Brexit induced racism (just like you lot did whenever a Turkish or Italian restaurants were burgled). When it was proven that actually he was a bit pissed up and tried to start a fight and sadly ended up dead you lot were rather silent weren’t you?!?
Last edited by sevenair on Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

sevenair

Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:27 am

ElPistolero wrote:
sevenair wrote:

How do you know he came to the EU because of Mutti? In 2015, he was, what, 15? What rules apply to minors in such situations? Isn't that why he was allowed into the UK? Since you know everything about his case, so why not share with us?

But that aside, what do you make of the 7/7 attackers. Were they British? Or foreigners? I only ask because I want to know at what point legal immigrants to Britain become "British" in your mind.

Well I think they become ‘British’ (whatever that means) when maybe they’ve been here for a few years without having tried to blow us up maybe? I know you lot like o claim they’re british the second they arrive in the UK so that you can say ‘look, they’re british, it’s the Brits you need to worry about’ just like you gleefully do with 7/7 and like you try to do with this ‘Surrey teenager’.

Paris, Stockholm, Nice, Brussels and Marseille all had one or perpetrators that weren’t domestic. Sadly Muslim terrorists killed more people last year than guns here.

Oh the Express. If constant worrying about the weather and the rise/crash of crypto currencies is your thing but I prefer a wider range of news sources.

Olddog
Topic Author

Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:02 am

Hum: http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Hot+Topics/Brexit

It is easy to see who is spreading fud and fake news all et time :)

ElPistolero

Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:28 am

sevenair wrote:
ElPistolero wrote:
sevenair wrote:

Well I think they become ‘British’ (whatever that means) when maybe they’ve been here for a few years without having tried to blow us up maybe? I know you lot like o claim they’re british the second they arrive in the UK so that you can say ‘look, they’re british, it’s the Brits you need to worry about’ just like you gleefully do with 7/7 and like you try to do with this ‘Surrey teenager’.

Paris, Stockholm, Nice, Brussels and Marseille all had one or perpetrators that weren’t domestic. Sadly Muslim terrorists killed more people last year than guns here.

Oh the Express. If constant worrying about the weather and the rise/crash of crypto currencies is your thing but I prefer a wider range of news sources.

You haven't answered the questions. Let's try again.

- We know he arrived in the UK and EU as a minor. When exactly did he arrive in the EU? What were the laws/rules/conventions associated with migrants/refugees who are minors? When and how did Mutti change them?

- When does a minor become the product/responsibility of his new country? When does a minor become a Surrey teenager/stop being an Iraqi migrant? Is it reasonable to retroactively relabel all terrorists as immigrants/migrants from XYZ the moment they commit the crime?

Also, please don't mock the Daily Express. It is one of the finest pieces of political satire out there.

ElPistolero

Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:46 am

sevenair wrote:

I run a company in my spare time and I’d say half of them are Czech, Polish and Sovenian but well done for believing the Guardian or the nonsense that we are all racist.

As for Germany and Sweden my sympathy is strictly limited as they were instrumental in this crazy idea of invited the world to our shores and expecting the rest of us to continue to pay for German guilt. The swedes were the biggest surprised and they’ve well and truly hit the self destruct button.

I recall when a Polish man was sadly beaten and murdered in the weeks after the vote to take our country back. You lot were adamant that it was absolutely Brexit induced racism (just like you lot did whenever a Turkish or Italian restaurants were burgled). When it was proven that actually he was a bit pissed up and tried to start a fight and sadly ended up dead you lot were rather silent weren’t you?!?

Red herring. Nobody thinks everybody who voted Brexit is racist.

That said, avowed racists (Britain First, BNP and EDL types, ex-UKIP leader Bolton's girlfriend etc) overwhelmingly voted for Brexit. Awkward, I know.

In any case, what should one do when faced with refugees at land borders? Give them refuge and assess their refugee claim? Shoot them the moment they cross the border? Sink the boats? Encourage natives to lynch them and drive them out? Build a wall? Try to integrate them? How do you propose dealing with the reality of the refugee/migrant crisis?

AeroVega

Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:14 am

sevenair wrote:
AeroVega wrote:
sevenair wrote:

With friends like you, who needs enemies?

Oh, and could you try not to play the racist card, please? Nobody is accusing leavers of being racists. But you cannot deny that one of the main reasons for the Leave vote was to restrict immigration of exactly those people you are so proud of hiring.

"Brexit: People voted to leave EU because they feared immigration, major survey finds"
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 11651.html

mmo

Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:16 pm

sevenair wrote:
the weeks after the vote to take our country back.

Who did you give it to in the first place? You'd better move on as your drivel is getting a little monotonous.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

Richard28

Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:19 pm

mmo wrote:
sevenair wrote:
the weeks after the vote to take our country back.

Who did you give it to in the first place? You'd better move on as your drivel is getting a little monotonous.

Absolutely, as by that logic I have never had my country in my lifetime!

Another bizarre anti-logical brexitier strap line...

zkojq

Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:03 am

sevenair wrote:
Well, I'm an accidental landlord saddled with a house that's lost 40% of its value. I now have a second home closer to where I want to be and I'm stuck with the burden of a rental property so forgive me if I don't think a 1-2% annual growth rate is excessive.

If you don't overpay for a piece of real estate, you shouldn't be that situation.

sevenair wrote:
Many people have done well out of 230% house price rises but in the north that's very rare. Hyper price inflation has been standard in London for twenty years now. I don't see how short term stagnation nor short term deflation in London is a massive blow. I doubt there's many in negative equity there. There are up here in the north.

For everyone who has "done well" out of 230% house price inflation, there will be several who have been priced out of the market.

sevenair wrote:
Regardless, that's beyond the scope of this conversation. We were promised by project fear that house prices would crash in the wake of the vote if we dared to leave the EU and that was a bad thing. Now the remainiacs are saying actually house price rises are a bad thing. It really is a struggle to keep up! We were told that we'd be '£4200 worse off'. When in five years time we have more disposable income are you going to turn around and try tell us that it's bad having more money than we need so we should be worse off anyway like you did with house prices? When in years to come when figures show there are more EU nationals working in the NHS than ever before are you going to turn around and say 'there's too many' of them as you told us that the NHS would collapse once we leave the EU.

Hows that extra 120 million GBP per week for the NHS working out?

scbriml wrote:
zkojq wrote:

I don't like using it, but if another member of this conversation is going to do their best to keep the conversation in the gutter, I might as well join in.

scbriml wrote:
zkojq wrote:

I just think its a shame that a lot of the people who voted for Brexit won't be around to feel its long term effects. I do feel sorry for the younger people who will have had their futures compromised by it.

scbriml wrote:

:rotfl:

AeroVega wrote:

That's what I find peculiar. The people who voted for Brexit for xenophobic reasons (explicitly or implicitly) are the ones most annoyed by the presence of Pakistani/Indian/Bangladeshi/Iranian migrants....yet very few of them came to the UK thanks to the EU.

sevenair

Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:26 pm

TUI UK has revealed details of its summer 2019 programme, which includes 720,000 extra seats, more 10 and 11-night stays and more regional airport departures.

Goes on to say:

Summer 2019 is the most ambitious programme we have ever introduced.

#despitebrexit

You know the drill. Spin the wheel of remoaner excuses and platitudes.

‘It’s because we are still in’
‘It’s the last chance before we will need a visa’
‘It’s only because you’ll have to pay to get into Europe the year after’
‘Yes, but without Brexit they’d have based 1000 more planes, commissioned a whole new fleet of cruise ships and be carrying hundreds of millions of more people’.

Spin the wheel. See where it winds up.

Richard28

Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:47 pm

sevenair wrote:

oooo! I'll play!

spinning.... spinning... wow, I got a fifth answer that you had not specified:

- 'Brexit supporter finds some positive business sentiment and uses it in attempt to attack "remoaners" whilst somehow inflating their own cause.'

scbriml

Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:58 pm

sevenair wrote:

So which is it to be - passports made in the UK or extra money for the NHS?

LAH1

Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:00 pm

scbriml wrote:
sevenair wrote:

Come on now. It doesn't matter which way anyone voted we all know that they won't give that 120M to the NHS whether De La Rue eventually get the job or it stays where it is now.

Richard28

Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:43 pm

LAH1 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
sevenair wrote:

Come on now. It doesn't matter which way anyone voted we all know that they won't give that 120M to the NHS whether De La Rue eventually get the job or it stays where it is now.

But in essence scbrimi asks a very valid question: Does sevenair support open markets (meaning lower prices and lower taxes) or protectionism (higher prices and higher taxes)?

The Brexit campaign was seemingly about the former in the referendum but is now swinging the other way.

This Patel / Rees-Mogg / Daily Mail version of Brexit is not the one people voted for.... and passport manufacture is just the tip of a protectionist iceberg....

LAH1

Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:47 pm

Richard28 wrote:
LAH1 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

But in essence scbrimi asks a very valid question: Does sevenair support open markets (meaning lower prices and lower taxes) or protectionism (higher prices and higher taxes)

The Brexit campaign was seemingly about the former in the referendum but is now swinging the other way.

This Patel / Rees-Mogg / Daily Mail version of Brexit is not the one people voted for.... and passport manufacture is just the tip of a protectionist iceberg....

And that's exactly what you get when the now leader of the government votes to stay and leads the leave. I tend to think now, either they should have chucked the whole lot in and said it was only an opinion poll - which in effect it was as there was no legal basis for making it policy - or made a clean break last year. This muddle which people didn't vote for is the last thing we need. I tell my kids who are no longer kids "If you make a decision which you feel is right then get on with it. If it's wrong you only have yourself to blame but at least you had the courage of your own convictions."

sevenair

Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:15 pm

Richard28 wrote:
sevenair wrote:

oooo! I'll play!

spinning.... spinning... wow, I got a fifth answer that you had not specified:

- 'Brexit supporter finds some positive business sentiment and uses it in attempt to attack "remoaners" whilst somehow inflating their own cause.'

You mean like you lot who don’t he exact same thing whenever anything negative that supports your narratve is reported.

Or the time when you lot promosed us a housing price crash but when house prices continued to climb you lot then turned around and said that house price rises were a bad thing anyway and successful Germany has falling house prices so we should be more like that (no mention of germany’s population falling by an estimated 17m in the next few decades though!).

Or perhaps when shop/restaurant A posts poor figures. This is absolute proof that Brexit is ruining business yet when strong performance is reported this is ignored or people are hypocritically (because remainers never cherry pick their figures do they? What is it you lefties bang on about? #moreincommon or something like that I’m sure) accused of ‘cherry picking’ good news to suit the pro leave agenda or if it’s a German discounter/LCC/pile em high type retailer it’s a ‘terrible indictment of a struggling Britain’.......you guessed it, because of Brexit.

Take the issues with the many dull generic eateries or casual diners. Byron, Zizzi, Giraffe and the many other indistinguishable Italian chains. They’re struggling. You guessed it. Because of Brexit. Nothing to do with them massively over expanding on cheap debt, massive competition etc. Yes, the price of some ingredients has gone up but most of these places promote their locally produced produce such as arch remoaner Jamie Oliver. Yes, wheat is priced in USD so the price of that have increased but this makes up the bulk of their cheapest ingredients such as bread, pizza dough and pasta and besides the GBP/USD rate is strengthening so I simply don’t buy it. Yes, a tin of tomatoes from Italy will be up but again how much per serving of this is used?

So. Can we put a date on when the planes will stop flying, we will need a visa for the EU and have to pay to leave the country. I’m planning next year’s vacances you see and need to know whether it’s Skeggy, Santorini or Sydney. I hope I’ll have my new blue passport for next year’s jollies! I can’t wait to flash it around. Oh the triggering will be exquisite.
Last edited by sevenair on Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scbriml

Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:29 pm

Richard28 wrote:
But in essence scbrimi asks a very valid question: Does sevenair support open markets (meaning lower prices and lower taxes) or protectionism (higher prices and higher taxes)?

I guess we'll never know because sevenair continues to ignore the question! :scratchchin:

sevenair

Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:34 pm

I support free open markets for all industries including rail and healthcare. Not the protectionist rackets we have here in the UK nor the protectionist approach that the EU have. Well, when it suits them anyway. I fully support free open trading too and welcome the fact that the blue passports (which you lot are OBSESSED with) are to be made somewhere which offers the best tax payer value. We are saving on the contract and we are saving paying the EU billions just to give them the benefit of selling to us. Low taxes, no barriers, no de facto trade tarrifs like we currently pay in the form of EU membership fees. But absolutely borders. I think bridges can be beautiful structures but I’m more a fan of the functionality that a bridge brings.

*awaits the usual tired cliched nonsense: blue passports, Express, Daily Mail, JRM, homophobe, racist, bigot*
Last edited by sevenair on Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard28

Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:41 pm

LAH1 wrote:
And that's exactly what you get when the now leader of the government votes to stay and leads the leave. I tend to think now, either they should have chucked the whole lot in and said it was only an opinion poll - which in effect it was as there was no legal basis for making it policy - or made a clean break last year. This muddle which people didn't vote for is the last thing we need. I tell my kids who are no longer kids "If you make a decision which you feel is right then get on with it. If it's wrong you only have yourself to blame but at least you had the courage of your own convictions."

I agree with some of your sentiment, however we must not confuse conviction politicians with populist politicians.

Over the years there have been some great conviction politicians on both sides, however with Brexit we are in the age of populism.

This is a very different beast, with the arguments and policy changing with the wind. I don’t think its the same thing.

Olddog
Topic Author

Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:45 pm

Open free market could work only if the whole world was under the same rules. So it will never work or at least not for a foreseeable future.

I mean look at the WTO saga, after using it to open new markets, the US is trying to sabotage it now that others learned to use it too.
Last edited by Olddog on Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Richard28

Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:46 pm

sevenair wrote:

Wow.. where did that come from?

And I have not even mentioned restaurants yet you come up with this word soup in response!

p.s I’m not a ‘Leftie’ - such presumptions you make....

JJJ

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:54 am

So apparently the person in charge of finding a solution to the Irish border quits after less than a year in place. The last one in a steady trickle towards less toxic positions.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -secretary

But everything is fine since 71% of those who voted leave think Brexit is a higher priority than keeping NI in the union.

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cu ... 0322_w.pdf

L410Turbolet

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:58 am

sevenair wrote:

I suppose you mean this case?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... treet.html
This indeed had nothing to do with Brexit, although it doesn't seem like the finest hour of British justice either... irrespective of nationalities involved.

GDB

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:50 am

scbriml wrote:
sevenair wrote:

sevenair wrote:

zkojq wrote:

I wonder if our resident ranter enjoyed the 'far left' BBC putting a documentary about the 100th anniversary of the RAF on for over an hour, on prime time, on their main channel, last Sunday.
Sure it was presented in part by a celebrity, (to get the widest audience possible), however Ewan McGregor is a genuine aviation enthusiast and his co presenter and brother was a RAF Tornado GR.4 pilot who flew combat missions. They both have done docs for the BBC before about the RAF.
Then that cabal of terrible lefties will soon, as always, cover live that well known far left event, the Trooping Of The Colour.
(The actual far left are always berating the BBC for being establishment/right wing tools, while the loony right say it's a tool of the conservatives. Cannot be both. Maybe both groups are so wrapped up in their fantasy worlds to be able to form sound, or event adult judgements).

Olddog
Topic Author

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:25 pm

With Sevenair in mind, I had a good laugh reading that:

ttps://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/every-remainer-should-be-helping-the-sun-share-this-retraction/27/03/

The Sun has issued a retraction of an article it published at the end of February which listed potential savings British shoppers would see on goods once European Union tariffs are removed after Brexit.

The “Vote for bargans” was even cited by Jacob Rees-Mogg who claimed it showed the “huge savings for us all outside the customs union”.

But the red top has since admitted it made an “honest mistake” in the article after making calculations based on applied tariff costs to retail prices not import prices.

Their retraction stated:

“We said that savings on Nike Air Trainers would be £20.40, but savings would actually be closer to £7.50.

“There were also mistakes in the calculations for individual items.

“For example, saving on a £2 pack of butter was given as £1, but the tariff is about 42p per pack… Savings on an LG flatscreen TV was given as £44, but there’s an EU free trade agreement with South Korea, so there is no tariff.

“Leaving the Customs Union would not necessarily directly result in any savings on cigarettes and not £4.54 as stated.

“Savings on cherry tomatoes was given as 21p, but almost all EU imports of tomatoes come from Morocco, which has a preferential arrangement with the EU…

“The tariff on mozzarella is €1.85/kg, so the saving on a 125g packet would be about 20p, not 69p.”

The newspaper added:

“The article also stated that we [currently] pay trade charges on more than 13,000 items from outside the EU… In fact, for many of these goods, no tariffs or charges are payable.”

Richard28

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:44 pm

reminds me of the lady from a fishing port last week who phoned a radio show to boast that South Korea will buy their whelks and they do not need the EU - she even had a container load of whelks ready to ship out to Seoul that day....

.... not realising the fact that it is an EU trade deal that allows those whelks to go to South Korea tariff free (a trade deal that would of course be lost on leaving the EU)

Too much misinformation and too many misinformed people :(

Dutchy

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:10 pm

Richard28 wrote:
reminds me of the lady from a fishing port last week who phoned a radio show to boast that South Korea will buy their whelks and they do not need the EU - she even had a container load of whelks ready to ship out to Seoul that day....

.... not realising the fact that it is an EU trade deal that allows those whelks to go to South Korea tariff free (a trade deal that would of course be lost on leaving the EU)

The general public makes quite often these kinds of mistakes. Unfortunately after decades of bashing the EU - Dutch politicians are also guilty as charged (trump because of them, a failure because of the EU) - this is the results. The EU has a terrible PR machine.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

GDB

Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:12 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Richard28 wrote:

The general public makes quite often these kinds of mistakes. Unfortunately after decades of bashing the EU - Dutch politicians are also guilty as charged (trump because of them, a failure because of the EU) - this is the results. The EU has a terrible PR machine.

Or more like elements of the British press are BS spouting, near comics. That successive UK governments have often blamed the EU for their own mistakes, when as often happens, those mistakes come back to bite them.

Those passports? That they got so hot and heavy about? Never was an EU policy to say what colour they should be, purely a UK move.
Just one example of so many. Boris Johnson, 20 years ago, was sacked from a very EU sceptic but broadsheet paper, after even they could no longer stand his constantly making up story after story to denigrate the EU.

Those fishermen who believed Farage? Out of over 40 meetings to set policy in this area in the time he was a MEP, he attended just one. Claimed the expenses though, probably spent them in the bar.
Maybe it's harsh, but anyone who was clueless enough, regardless of your general politics, to believe these charlatans, well you deserve what's coming, however it's not just you who will suffer, given what the most optimistic assessments, independent of political parties, sees as the likely costs to the whole economy, all of us.

As for The Sun and it's 'honest mistake', never going to happen, never has. Ask the city of Liverpool.

par13del

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:24 pm

Richard28 wrote:
LAH1 wrote:

I agree with some of your sentiment, however we must not confuse conviction politicians with populist politicians.

Over the years there have been some great conviction politicians on both sides, however with Brexit we are in the age of populism.

This is a very different beast, with the arguments and policy changing with the wind. I don’t think its the same thing.

I think I have to agree with LAH1 on this one, all the confusion that is taking place now is because you have a government and political structure who support Remain and are now tasked with implementing Leave. If a clean break was chosen and article 50 filed immediately, this would all be over and a path to a new vote would have been settled by now, all that this confusion will do is to prolong the pain and suffering for the nation for a number of years, and let's not confuse suffering of the nation with suffering of the politicians.
If you believe in a vote and you give one to the people the political structure is duty bound to implement the result, funny thing is, the integrity that ensured that article 50 had to be filed does not extend to implementing the decision, go figure. Note that we are talking about the UK in this regard.

bananaboy

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:42 pm

Richard28 wrote:

I heard that call too. It was requested that the presenter "stop using facts."

Pretty typical pro-Brexit argument really.

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/j ... ing-facts/

#brexitatanycost

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

Richard28

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:15 pm

par13del wrote:
I think I have to agree with LAH1 on this one, all the confusion that is taking place now is because you have a government and political structure who support Remain and are now tasked with implementing Leave. If a clean break was chosen and article 50 filed immediately, this would all be over and a path to a new vote would have been settled by now, all that this confusion will do is to prolong the pain and suffering for the nation for a number of years, and let's not confuse suffering of the nation with suffering of the politicians.
If you believe in a vote and you give one to the people the political structure is duty bound to implement the result, funny thing is, the integrity that ensured that article 50 had to be filed does not extend to implementing the decision, go figure. Note that we are talking about the UK in this regard.

The problem here I think is that in my view there was no democratic mandate for a hard Brexit. The referendum was fought on the basis that the EU needs us more than we need them, the French need to sell us wine, the Germans need to sell us BMW’s etc and that a trade was easily possible giving us the benefits of the single market without the bits Brexiters don’t like.

Had the referendum been on the basis of no deals and hard borders then fair play, but it explicitly was not. Therefore there was in my view a democratic requirement to negotiate with the EU.

Such negotiations were always going to be long and complex with the example of Greenland often discussed before the vote (for those that would listen), so an idea of complexities and length of time was known.

That Theresa May did not have a thorough plan before triggering article 50 and still does not is in my view the genesis of the problem - not helped by the fringe of her party who want out whatever the cost, and believe they have a legitimate mandate for that.

LAH1

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:32 am

Richard28 wrote:
par13del wrote:

The problem here I think is that in my view there was no democratic mandate for a hard Brexit. The referendum was fought on the basis that the EU needs us more than we need them, the French need to sell us wine, the Germans need to sell us BMW’s etc and that a trade was easily possible giving us the benefits of the single market without the bits Brexiters don’t like.

Had the referendum been on the basis of no deals and hard borders then fair play, but it explicitly was not. Therefore there was in my view a democratic requirement to negotiate with the EU.

Such negotiations were always going to be long and complex with the example of Greenland often discussed before the vote (for those that would listen), so an idea of complexities and length of time was known.

That Theresa May did not have a thorough plan before triggering article 50 and still does not is in my view the genesis of the problem - not helped by the fringe of her party who want out whatever the cost, and believe they have a legitimate mandate for that.

The basis for the referendum was, in my opinion, that DC convinced himself he would walk away with a STAY vote and continue happily as PM with the UK in the EU. He was both foolhardy and negligent. He walked off leaving the mess we are now in. You can read here from different posters about the xenophobic, racist, small minded Englanders, all sorts of insults, but basically the UK is the essentially the same now as it was before the ref. it's just the low life raise their heads now and again to the joy of the gutter press. I've travelled throughout Europe enough over the years and dealt with people and firms to know that we're not alone in having the same wide selection of opinions on "foreigners", right wing/left wing fanatics, so in most cases it's those commentators living in glass houses and throwing stones. I think a clean break, if it had to happen, would negate the "cake and eat it" scenario. The trouble is, of course, the matter is so huge that everyone has an opinion which is "right" but which turns out to be far from it.

par13del

Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:18 am

Richard28 wrote:
The problem here I think is that in my view there was no democratic mandate for a hard Brexit.

What was given to the people was a simply question, the people did not select nor word the question, their part of the mandate was to say either Yes or No.
I refuse to believe that those who worded the question were incapable of being more explicit in what they wanted the people to vote on.

seahawk

Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:29 am

The problem is the the remainers do not accept defeat. The cut should have been fast and clear. And it should have meant no further relationship with the EU outside of basic WTO rules.

Dutchy

Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:38 am

seahawk wrote:
The problem is the the remainers do not accept defeat. The cut should have been fast and clear. And it should have meant no further relationship with the EU outside of basic WTO rules.

That is your interpretation of things.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

seahawk

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:32 am

I think considering the infighting in the UK and the lame duck government, a clear cut would be better. It would at least force every involved party to reach results and not leave the time to follow fantasies.