User avatar
par13del
Posts: 7719
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:15 pm

...and this chart is done knowing exactly how much money the UK will pay into the EU budget which at present is the only thing that is certain...so it is most likely accurate in reflecting where the EU members economies will be, as for the UK, it may be a guess on the low side, as based on the history of the negotiations, we can expect the
UK to loose as much as it can while leaving the EU but remaining in the EU influence, ergo having their cake and eating it too.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 5208
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:05 pm

par13del wrote:
...and this chart is done knowing exactly how much money the UK will pay into the EU budget which at present is the only thing that is certain...so it is most likely accurate in reflecting where the EU members economies will be, as for the UK, it may be a guess on the low side, as based on the history of the negotiations, we can expect the
UK to loose as much as it can while leaving the EU but remaining in the EU influence, ergo having their cake and eating it too.


The projection is for 2018, the year the UK is still within the EU.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
tommy1808
Posts: 7569
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:26 am

Dutchy wrote:
The projection is for 2018, the year the UK is still within the EU.


and all the numbers have trended up pretty much in lockstep since it was made.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 15398
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:50 am

sevenair wrote:
Wages up
Employment up
Inflation settling

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43482886

How very sad for you all.


You do realise nothing has changed, we haven't actually left the EU yet? :rotfl:

Get back to us in 2022 after we've been out for a couple of years.



In other Brexit related news, the post-Brexit Blue UK passport to be made in France!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43489462
The new UK passport to be issued after Brexit will be made in France, according to the current British manufacturer.


You couldn't make this shit up! #AnotherBrexitWin
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 5208
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:54 am

scbriml wrote:
In other Brexit related news, the post-Brexit Blue UK passport to be made in France!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43489462
The new UK passport to be issued after Brexit will be made in France, according to the current British manufacturer.


You couldn't make this shit up! #AnotherBrexitWin


That is objectively funny.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
Olddog
Topic Author
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:41 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:14 am

While French Passport are made in France by a public agency, l'Imprimerie Nationale :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imprimerie_nationale
 
User avatar
Richard28
Posts: 1908
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:42 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:34 am

Olddog wrote:
While French Passport are made in France by a public agency, l'Imprimerie Nationale :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imprimerie_nationale


Wow, you mean that France have sovereignty and control whilst also being part of the EU!? :D
 
sabenapilot
Posts: 2475
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2000 6:18 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:24 pm

The UK needs to respect all of the rules of the Single Market for as long as it has no final FTA with the EU, meaning that if a government has no government agency for a certain job and wants to outsource it to the private sector like the UK does, it has to work via a public tender.
Every such tender is open to all EU based companies, including one as iconic as that of the new passport.
Not surprisingly a niche company from within a huge market of several hundred million customers has the advantage of scale over a UK company which faces uncertainty over continued access to most of its market, hence the EU company could offer the best price.
It's something which will happen more often as time goes by and the consequences of not being in the EU are starting to be felt by export oriented UK businesses.
The UK could theoretically limit these kind of symbolic government tenders to just UK firms post Brexit, but guess what? A FTA will only be considered by the EU if it allows for continued EU wide access to these UK government tenders, just as now...
Totally unacceptable for the UK of course, until the moment it will have no choice but to roll over on that red line too, just like with pretty much everything else so far.
Oh well, at least the UK regains the exclusive fishing rights in its own waters... euh... wait a second...
 
ElPistolero
Posts: 1460
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:44 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:28 pm

I'm just going to leave this gem of a tweet from the Institute of Directors here:

"A politician* who has put so much overt stock in the benefits of free mkts and open competition calls a decision based on blind tenders + non-discrimination (bedrock of modern trade agreements/liberalisation) "disgraceful, perverse, a national humiliation"?"

* Priti Patel, the arch-Brexiteer

Quality stuff. Doesn't say much for her intellect. Or the intelligence of the people in her camp.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 15398
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:26 pm

ElPistolero wrote:
I'm just going to leave this gem of a tweet from the Institute of Directors here:

"A politician* who has put so much overt stock in the benefits of free mkts and open competition calls a decision based on blind tenders + non-discrimination (bedrock of modern trade agreements/liberalisation) "disgraceful, perverse, a national humiliation"?"

* Priti Patel, the arch-Brexiteer

Quality stuff. Doesn't say much for her intellect. Or the intelligence of the people in her camp.


I wonder if Jacob Rees Mogg will thow passports at Parliament as well as fish?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
ElPistolero
Posts: 1460
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:44 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:36 pm

scbriml wrote:
ElPistolero wrote:
I'm just going to leave this gem of a tweet from the Institute of Directors here:

"A politician* who has put so much overt stock in the benefits of free mkts and open competition calls a decision based on blind tenders + non-discrimination (bedrock of modern trade agreements/liberalisation) "disgraceful, perverse, a national humiliation"?"

* Priti Patel, the arch-Brexiteer

Quality stuff. Doesn't say much for her intellect. Or the intelligence of the people in her camp.


I wonder if Jacob Rees Mogg will thow passports at Parliament as well as fish?


Heh - he's not quite there yet. Doing his best not to step in it, though judging by his "odd" reaction... well, sounds like he is no longer as keen on the "free trade puts consumers first and lowers prices for all" bit.

Either that, or he's realized that the hypernationalism driving a good chunk of his supporters is bound to seep into their economics too.

This passport issue reveals the continuing tension between the global Britain Brexit favoured by the London-based Leave Elites, and the Bannonbart Brexit favoured by the disenchanted/disenfranchised/UKIP folk.
 
Olddog
Topic Author
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:41 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:51 am

To me it seems that with Brexit in mind De La Rue was a bit greedy and tried to overcharge thinking they will win anyway, being british.

New blue UK passports will be £120m cheaper if made in Europe


https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/mar/22/contract-to-print-uk-passports-abroad-will-save-120m
 
sevenair
Posts: 2167
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:18 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:30 am

I see Question Time didn't go quite how the biased Brussels broadcasting company had planned to. This time they were going with the 'young people had their future stolen' or 'young people voted remain' as they had engineered an under 30s audience as they're more likely to have the same opinion as the biased broadcaster. They didn't! So for all of their engineering of the panel and now the audience they still simply don't get it do they!?

We're still leaving. No matter how much the EU puppets try and stop it.
If diversity really is our strength, why do you have such a fear of hearing diverse opinions or those who are differently opinionated?
 
tommy1808
Posts: 7569
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:32 am

sevenair wrote:
They didn't! So for all of their engineering of the panel and now the audience they still simply don't get it do they!?


Can you at least try to be logically be consistent? A representative panel would have been majority remain, any "engineered one" would have been drastically so. So either it was engineered, or it was pro remain. Can´t be both at the same time. They just failed to pick a representative panel, which is hard statistical proof they didn´t even try to engineer it.

But hey, you just celebrated that the UK is dead last in real wage development, so more power to you. ......

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
sevenair
Posts: 2167
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:18 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:12 am

Slot allocations for S18

'Oh but people will stop travelling'
'Yes, but people will need a visa to go to france'
'You'll need to pay to leave the UK'

Heathrow = 63,205,851 up 3.0%
Dublin = 25,057,920 up 9.1%
Manchester = 22,915,590 up 1.0%
Stansted = 21,682,068 up 12.9%
Bristol = 6,887,325 up 7.7%

Must be 'because we haven't left yet'. Or maybe it's a last push before 'the planes won't be able to fly'?
If diversity really is our strength, why do you have such a fear of hearing diverse opinions or those who are differently opinionated?
 
sabenapilot
Posts: 2475
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2000 6:18 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:29 am

The blue passport saga is getting more hilarious every day:
as a future export product of the EU, these passports should actually feature an CE mark in the UK: just imagine how nice those gold letters and the 12 stars will look on the blue background. I'd propose to program the chip so as to have the new British passport play the European anthem when opening too! ;)

Seriously, I wonder if these 'symbol over substance' Brexiteers have already checked their Union Jacks they are proudly waving?
Not so sure they're manufactured in the UK either.... How unpatriotic of them! ;-)
 
sevenair
Posts: 2167
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:18 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:40 am

If diversity really is our strength, why do you have such a fear of hearing diverse opinions or those who are differently opinionated?
 
tommy1808
Posts: 7569
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:52 am

sevenair wrote:
Heathrow = 63,205,851 up 3.0%
Dublin = 25,057,920 up 9.1%
Manchester = 22,915,590 up 1.0%
Stansted = 21,682,068 up 12.9%
Bristol = 6,887,325 up 7.7%


last time i checked Dublin wasn´t in the UK .... and seems to outshine most UK airports by quite a margin. I mean i like that you are so open with numbers disproving your own point, but that is somewhat unusual.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
sabenapilot
Posts: 2475
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2000 6:18 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:57 am

sevenair wrote:


Indicative of the fact the reduction in EU nationals working in the UK is going to be filled with extra immigration from other non-EU countries, maybe?
Nice and hard working people, those Ukrainians: until recently they filled most of the jobs left open in Poland, and soon they'll be coming over straight away to the UK: much more efficient indeed, and cheaper too.
 
JJJ
Posts: 2727
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 5:12 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:04 am

sabenapilot wrote:
sevenair wrote:


Indicative of the fact the reduction in EU nationals working in the UK is going to be filled with extra immigration from other non-EU countries, maybe?
Nice and hard working people, those Ukrainians: until recently they filled most of the jobs left open in Poland, and soon they'll be doing the same in the UK.


More like Ryanair needs to move their planes around after not getting their way with Romania.

Usual MOL stuff.
 
User avatar
Richard28
Posts: 1908
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:42 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:11 am

sevenair wrote:
'Oh but people will stop travelling'
'Yes, but people will need a visa to go to france'
'You'll need to pay to leave the UK'


Sevenair, it’s not difficult to answer your strange points:

- we are still in the EU
- we are still in the EU
- we are still in the EU
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 15398
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:12 am

sevenair wrote:
Slot allocations for S18

'Oh but people will stop travelling'
'Yes, but people will need a visa to go to france'
'You'll need to pay to leave the UK'

Heathrow = 63,205,851 up 3.0%
Dublin = 25,057,920 up 9.1%
Manchester = 22,915,590 up 1.0%
Stansted = 21,682,068 up 12.9%
Bristol = 6,887,325 up 7.7%

Must be 'because we haven't left yet'. Or maybe it's a last push before 'the planes won't be able to fly'?


Your desperate trolling is quite amusing. Claiming all these huge wins for Brexit is marvelous (yay, blue passports [made in France]), but let's see how things are in 2022 once we've actually been out of the EU for a couple of years, eh? :wave:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
sevenair
Posts: 2167
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:18 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:27 am

Richard28 wrote:
sevenair wrote:
'Oh but people will stop travelling'
'Yes, but people will need a visa to go to france'
'You'll need to pay to leave the UK'


Sevenair, it’s not difficult to answer your strange points:

- we are still in the EU
- we are still in the EU
- we are still in the EU


Yeah that's was kinda covered when I paraphrased the classic remoaner line: ' because we haven't left yet'. I'm glad you agree that they are strange points. It is indeed to strange to claim that we will need a visa to go to the EU that people will stop travelling here and that we will need to pay to get into the EU but these were all genuine remoaner claims. Strange indeed.
If diversity really is our strength, why do you have such a fear of hearing diverse opinions or those who are differently opinionated?
 
sevenair
Posts: 2167
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:18 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:34 am

scbriml wrote:
sevenair wrote:
Slot allocations for S18

'Oh but people will stop travelling'
'Yes, but people will need a visa to go to france'
'You'll need to pay to leave the UK'

Heathrow = 63,205,851 up 3.0%
Dublin = 25,057,920 up 9.1%
Manchester = 22,915,590 up 1.0%
Stansted = 21,682,068 up 12.9%
Bristol = 6,887,325 up 7.7%

Must be 'because we haven't left yet'. Or maybe it's a last push before 'the planes won't be able to fly'?


Your desperate trolling is quite amusing. Claiming all these huge wins for Brexit is marvelous (yay, blue passports [made in France]), but let's see how things are in 2022 once we've actually been out of the EU for a couple of years, eh? :wave:


It seems you remoaners the ones obsessed with blue passports. It seems your project fear is dead in the water, your big red bus whining is tedious in the extreme and now you've moved onto blue passports.

In reality nobody voted to leave so that they can have blue passports as you can technically have whatever colour passport you want whilst still being in the EU as Croatia have. If we wanted blue passports whilst remaining in the EU we could have. EU passport standards aren't applied to all members such as fingerprint information which the UK and Ireland don't have so we could have easily switched to blue passports. I wasn't even aware that we has blue passports until a few months ago and I'd imagine most people of my vintage didn't know about blue passports.

So we have to wait for 2022 for doomsday now do we? You've all moved on from an immediate Armageddon the day after we voted to the leave. In reality the poundwas right valued. Everything else has pretty much continued. House prices have increased, the economy has grown and we are attracting a net 100,000 newcomers to these wonderful windswept isles.

I suppose when 2022 comes and things are pretty much as they are now it'll be a matter of 'wait until 2030' or 'we won't know the impact until 2050' or 'all of the people who voted to leave will be dead so let's rejoin the EU' as some disgusting remoaners have advocated.

If you keep moving the goalposts you'll never be proven wrong. Nice logic.
Last edited by sevenair on Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
If diversity really is our strength, why do you have such a fear of hearing diverse opinions or those who are differently opinionated?
 
sevenair
Posts: 2167
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:18 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:36 am

sabenapilot wrote:
sevenair wrote:


Indicative of the fact the reduction in EU nationals working in the UK is going to be filled with extra immigration from other non-EU countries, maybe?
Nice and hard working people, those Ukrainians: until recently they filled most of the jobs left open in Poland, and soon they'll be coming over straight away to the UK: much more efficient indeed, and cheaper too.


How do you explain the growth in UK-EU routes, frequencies and capacities by Ryanair and other airlines? I suppose it's just until the day we leave, then they'll all stop? I should imagine the new/increased capacity EU routes are to cope with the increased number of new entrant NHS clinical employees and trainees which have increased since the vote for independence?
If diversity really is our strength, why do you have such a fear of hearing diverse opinions or those who are differently opinionated?
 
tommy1808
Posts: 7569
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:50 am

[quote="sevenair“]
So we have to wait for 2022 for doomsday now do we? [/quote]

Nah...you are already left behind, it just takes a bitfor people to notice it. That is basically like compound interest.
People cebrating being dead last in real wage development will of course take longer to notice.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
sevenair
Posts: 2167
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:18 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:56 am

tommy1808 wrote:
[quote="sevenair“]
So we have to wait for 2022 for doomsday now do we? [/quote]

Nah...you are already left behind, it just takes a bitfor people to notice it. That is basically like compound interest.
People cebrating being dead last in real wage development will of course take longer to notice.

Best regards
Thomas[/quote]


Well, if a growing economy, record employment, steady house price growth, growing wages with interest rates slightly higher than we'd hoped is doomsday then that's just great!
If diversity really is our strength, why do you have such a fear of hearing diverse opinions or those who are differently opinionated?
 
tommy1808
Posts: 7569
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:00 pm

sevenair wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
[quote="sevenair“]
So we have to wait for 2022 for doomsday now do we? [/quote]

Nah...you are already left behind, it just takes a bitfor people to notice it. That is basically like compound interest.
People cebrating being dead last in real wage development will of course take longer to notice.

Best regards
Thomas[/quote][/quote]

Well, if a growing economy, record employment, steady house price growth, growing wages with interest rates slightly higher than we'd hoped is doomsday then that's just great![/quote]


When everyone else is doing better, that is doomsday. One % less growth per year makes a rather large difference over 10 years.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
JJJ
Posts: 2727
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 5:12 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:01 pm

sevenair wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
[quote="sevenair“]
So we have to wait for 2022 for doomsday now do we? [/quote]

Nah...you are already left behind, it just takes a bitfor people to notice it. That is basically like compound interest.
People cebrating being dead last in real wage development will of course take longer to notice.

Best regards
Thomas[/quote][/quote]

Well, if a growing economy, record employment, steady house price growth, growing wages with interest rates slightly higher than we'd hoped is doomsday then that's just great![/quote]


Again, wages are contracting in real terms.

But such is the nature of mobile goalposts. If that makes you happy so be it.
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 3105
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:05 pm

sevenair wrote:
steady house price growth

:rotfl: A stupid pillar of Anglo-Saxonism is that people like you think that this is a good thing.
Most recent planes I've been in: A318 F-GUGQ, A319 F-GRHR, A320ceo D-AIZH, A320neo D-AINE, A330-300 VH-QPD, A350-900 B-LRA, A380-800 D-AIMH, B737-600 LN-RPA, B737-700 OY-JTY, B737-800 LN-NGA, B767-300 ZK-NCI, B777-300 ZK-OKN, B787-9 VH-ZNA, CS100 HB-JBG
 
sabenapilot
Posts: 2475
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2000 6:18 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:22 pm

Meanwhile, the EU signed off on their opening bid for the final agreement.
Knowing how the EU's opening bid turned out to be pretty much the final result in any other phase 'after negotiations' (sic), it's interesting to take a close look at it:
- zero tariffs on goods
- no market access for services
- reciprocal access to fishing waters
- continued cooperation in defense and foreign affairs

European diplomats also noticed that the EU can't complete and then ratify a full association agreement with just 21 months, so the EU is to offer the UK a provision in the withdrawal agreement to extend the recently agreed transition beyond 2020, but is currently calculating the price the UK will have to pay for that much needed provision.

Exactly as expected, while the 'price' for yet another extension is actually known too if you think about it: the same pro capita tariff as Norway. ;)
As from 2021, the UK will no longer have a vote and loose its steep rebate: other than that, nothing will change but the color of French.. eh British passports.
 
ElPistolero
Posts: 1460
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:44 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:05 pm

sevenair wrote:

It seems you remoaners the ones obsessed with blue passports. It seems your project fear is dead in the water, your big red bus whining is tedious in the extreme and now you've moved onto blue passports.

In reality nobody voted to leave so that they can have blue passports as you can technically have whatever colour passport you want whilst still being in the EU as Croatia have. If we wanted blue passports whilst remaining in the EU we could have. EU passport standards aren't applied to all members such as fingerprint information which the UK and Ireland don't have so we could have easily switched to blue passports. I wasn't even aware that we has blue passports until a few months ago and I'd imagine most people of my vintage didn't know about blue passports.

So we have to wait for 2022 for doomsday now do we? You've all moved on from an immediate Armageddon the day after we voted to the leave. In reality the poundwas right valued. Everything else has pretty much continued. House prices have increased, the economy has grown and we are attracting a net 100,000 newcomers to these wonderful windswept isles.

I suppose when 2022 comes and things are pretty much as they are now it'll be a matter of 'wait until 2030' or 'we won't know the impact until 2050' or 'all of the people who voted to leave will be dead so let's rejoin the EU' as some disgusting remoaners have advocated.

If you keep moving the goalposts you'll never be proven wrong. Nice logic.


Yeah, no.

- Priti Patel and the Brexiteers turned the Passport thing into a big deal. Why lie about it?

- If the economic trends are so good, why did the UK just adopt the Norwegian model for 2 years (all the obligations, no say, and a bunch of very upset fishermen to boot)?

- If current economic conditions have nothing to do with being in the EU, insofar as you claim that they won't change after leaving the EU, why bother with a transition period at all?

Go ahead, tell us what's really happening. I'm not holding my breath. In fairness, the logical gymnastics required to square your circle would challenge anyone.

That aside, I don't see how there's anything disgusting about reversing Brexit in a few decades. Democracies have a long history of overturning stupid decisions made by previous generations. Suffrage, LGBTQ rights, racial equality etc come to mind. Perhaps Brexit will join that list. Perhaps it won't. Between the little passport issue (reported around the world), and the Norway-style transition arrangement, you're already losing control of the Brexit narrative.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 15398
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:35 pm

sevenair wrote:
It seems you remoaners the ones obsessed with blue passports.


No, it was all the brexiteers-in-chief who claimed it as a great day for Britain, taking back control, Johnny foreigner will bow before our mighty blue passport, blah-blah-blah. :sarcastic:

sevenair wrote:
So we have to wait for 2022 for doomsday now do we?


Claiming every minor piece of good news as a "victory for Brexit" before we've even left the EU is laughable. Reviewing the situation in 2022 would be sensible, but probably still too early to judge the long-term effects accurately.

However, if you want to claim Brexit has won when you're 1-0 up in the first couple of minutes of the game, be my guest.

sevenair wrote:
If you keep moving the goalposts you'll never be proven wrong. Nice logic.


Claiming victory before we've even left the EU, so you can't be proven wrong? Perverse logic.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
Richard28
Posts: 1908
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:42 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:00 pm

sevenair wrote:
Strange indeed


What is stranger sevenair is your using future events that have not happened yet to justify current aIrport slot allocations.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 9898
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:18 pm

scbriml wrote:
In other Brexit related news, the post-Brexit Blue UK passport to be made in France!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43489462
The new UK passport to be issued after Brexit will be made in France, according to the current British manufacturer.


You couldn't make this shit up! #AnotherBrexitWin


Apparently Gemalto already manufactures UK Driving licenses so it's not that surprising.

For passports somebody should have tweaked the tender a bit to make sure the UK company should win.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
Richard28
Posts: 1908
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:42 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:45 pm

Aesma wrote:
For passports somebody should have tweaked the tender a bit to make sure the UK company should win.


Why, so the UK taxpayer pays more than they should?

For me the interesting part in this is the apparent sudden realisation that free trade agreements apply to imports as well as exports.

For these reasons you have to be careful who you strike a deal with. The EU already has a large number of good agreements in place and is working on many others.

In addition to these (which we will lose on leaving the Customs Union/Single Market) there are not that many left that would be worthwhile, which begs the question what Brexit is really all about....
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 15398
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:35 pm

Richard28 wrote:
In addition to these (which we will lose on leaving the Customs Union/Single Market) there are not that many left that would be worthwhile, which begs the question what Brexit is really all about....


It would be nice if the Brexiteers could tell us instead of talking in slogans.

Take back control(tm)
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 9898
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:42 pm

Richard28 wrote:
Aesma wrote:
For passports somebody should have tweaked the tender a bit to make sure the UK company should win.


Why, so the UK taxpayer pays more than they should?


Yes, for symbolic things it might be worth it. You might end up with the right results during elections and referendums if you proceed that way.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
ElPistolero
Posts: 1460
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:44 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:05 pm

Aesma wrote:
Yes, for symbolic things it might be worth it. You might end up with the right results during elections and referendums if you proceed that way.


Not if you're trying to tell some tall tale about how Brexit Britain will emerge as a champion of free trade after leaving the "protectionist" EU. Its a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. Whatever makes the domestic audience happy will make the international audience sceptical, and vice versa. The fundamental disconnect between "global" Britain and Farage/UKIP/Bannonbart "nationalist" Britain once again.

Granted, it's a question of emotion over reason. Rephrase the question as: "Should the Government spend an additional 120 million GBP to produce passports in Britain, or use that money to fund the NHS/teachers/nurses/schools instead?", and some of the anger will dissipate.

Really just a question of thinking things through instead of falling for the most emotionally appealing narrative.
 
LJ
Posts: 4439
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 1999 8:28 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:43 pm

sevenair wrote:
steady house price growth!


Not in London. Everything ex-London is catching up, but in London house prices decrease.
 
User avatar
Richard28
Posts: 1908
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:42 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:54 pm

scbriml wrote:
sevenair wrote:
It seems you remoaners the ones obsessed with blue passports.


No, it was all the brexiteers-in-chief who claimed it as a great day for Britain, taking back control, Johnny foreigner will bow before our mighty blue passport, blah-blah-blah. :


The daily mail even has a petition now to try to overturn the passport decsision so that they continue to be made in the UK....

....So the Arch-Brexit newspaper is now advocating trade restrictions. Anyone who thinks Brexit is about free trade has a screw loose.
 
LJ
Posts: 4439
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 1999 8:28 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:09 am

Richard28 wrote:
The daily mail even has a petition now to try to overturn the passport decsision so that they continue to be made in the UK....
....So the Arch-Brexit newspaper is now advocating trade restrictions. Anyone who thinks Brexit is about free trade has a screw loose.


Which would be very costly as not only in their price much higher, they also need to compensate the real winner as it will undoubtly go to court. The UK must remember that they're still in the EU and will be subject to EU law until January 2021.
 
JJJ
Posts: 2727
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 5:12 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:21 am

LJ wrote:
Richard28 wrote:
The daily mail even has a petition now to try to overturn the passport decsision so that they continue to be made in the UK....
....So the Arch-Brexit newspaper is now advocating trade restrictions. Anyone who thinks Brexit is about free trade has a screw loose.


Which would be very costly as not only in their price much higher, they also need to compensate the real winner as it will undoubtly go to court. The UK must remember that they're still in the EU and will be subject to EU law until January 2021.


Not that it would matter in or out the EU. The WTO also has quite extensive tender rules, and its own court the UK would be taken to.
 
sevenair
Posts: 2167
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:18 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:48 am

zkojq wrote:
sevenair wrote:
steady house price growth

:rotfl: A stupid pillar of Anglo-Saxonism is that people like you think that this is a good thing.


Indeed I do. I invest hundreds of thousands of pounds into something that doesn’t depreciate in value. Pretty sound reasoning.

If not then why were we promised house price crashes by the remain side? Sure that’s a good thing in their warped minds?
If diversity really is our strength, why do you have such a fear of hearing diverse opinions or those who are differently opinionated?
 
sevenair
Posts: 2167
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:18 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:56 am

Richard28 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
sevenair wrote:
It seems you remoaners the ones obsessed with blue passports.


No, it was all the brexiteers-in-chief who claimed it as a great day for Britain, taking back control, Johnny foreigner will bow before our mighty blue passport, blah-blah-blah. :


The daily mail even has a petition now to try to overturn the passport decsision so that they continue to be made in the UK....

....So the Arch-Brexit newspaper is now advocating trade restrictions. Anyone who thinks Brexit is about free trade has a screw loose.


Funny you remoaners have tried and failed again and again to overturn the ‘will of the people’ because the result wasn’t as you liked and have tried to overturn Brexit and now you’re all triggered because the DM wants to overturn the decision to make blue passports on the mainland? You’re all actually beyond parody now! Trade restrictions are what the EU is all about my friend.
If diversity really is our strength, why do you have such a fear of hearing diverse opinions or those who are differently opinionated?
 
User avatar
Richard28
Posts: 1908
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:42 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:03 am

We are not ‘triggered’ by the passports sevenair, thats the position of Farage, Patel and the Daily Mail - we are simply pointing out and laughing at the hypocrisy
 
User avatar
Richard28
Posts: 1908
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:42 am

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:17 am

sevenair wrote:
Trade restrictions are what the EU is all about my friend.


How on earth can the planets largest single market be all about trade restrictions? Bizarre analysis.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 15398
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:49 am

sevenair wrote:
Funny you remoaners have tried and failed again and again to overturn the ‘will of the people’ because the result wasn’t as you liked and have tried to overturn Brexit and now you’re all triggered because the DM wants to overturn the decision to make blue passports on the mainland?


I've fully accepted the referendum result. Show me one post where I've called for a second referendum, or for the government to not implement the result. :sarcastic:

I really couldn't care less where our passports are made, but I'm sure even the most bitter person can see the hilarious irony that they're going to be made in France! As for the Daily Fail, it's a marvelous reflection of the Little Britain brexiteers. :rotfl:

So tell us, sevenair, it's your choice - do you want our marvelous new blue passports made in Britain, or do you want an extra £120 million that could be spent on the NHS? :scratchchin:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
GDB
Posts: 12967
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:24 am

Just watched an old Alan Partridge Mid Morning Matters episode, something was bothering me, then it struck me, this fictional character, with all his petty small mindedness, obsessions with a very narrow version of some history, preening, jealousy, has become a parody of the Brexit loons, though the character has been around for 25 years.
We are living in Partridge Britain, reading sevenair's posts (please tell me they/he is a parody too) just brings that realisation home.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 15398
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:15 am

GDB wrote:
Just watched an old Alan Partridge Mid Morning Matters episode, something was bothering me, then it struck me, this fictional character, with all his petty small mindedness, obsessions with a very narrow version of some history, preening, jealousy, has become a parody of the Brexit loons, though the character has been around for 25 years.
We are living in Partridge Britain, reading sevenair's posts (please tell me they/he is a parody too) just brings that realisation home.


I wouldn't call it a parody, it's really a pretty accurate reflection of many Brexiteers.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: B777LRF, bagoldex, BartSimpson, moo, sevenair, SOBHI51, TheF15Ace and 35 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos