Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

stlgph
Topic Author

TV: officially out of new ideas

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:28 pm

Murphy Brown is coming back.

Full disclosure, I was a huge fan of the original series, and yes, I'll probably watch, but at this rate, when will The Smurfs come to Thursday primetime?

http://deadline.com/2018/01/murphy-brow ... 202267897/

Ken777

Re: TV: officially out of new ideas

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:19 am

Murphy Brown did have some good writers - the best episode I have seen on TV. was when Murphy gave birth.

There have been some really good shows that could do with a re-birth.

At the same time there are potentially great series that are possible. W. E. B. Griffin has several historical fiction series that would be excellent. We have also done a pretty good job of taking successful series from the UK and converting them to the US. This year we have seen a South Korean series converted to the US - it's called The Good Doctor. Bull is also doing well in it's second season.

NIKV69

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:39 am

TV has gone down the crapper. I haven't seen one original show except curb your enthusiasm and that went south so I really don't watch them anymore than just stick to Documentaries and stuff.

einsteinboricua

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:26 am

I think Hollywood is out of ideas with the rehash of superhero movies over and over again. It's only recently that I've begun questioning TV...with remakes like Fuller House coming out or being aired...THAT'S being out of ideas.

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:34 am

The last time TV invested in original content like Arrested Development or Community - nobody watches them. Can you really blame them for rehashing old favourites?

alberchico

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:53 am

Ken777 wrote:
Murphy Brown did have some good writers - the best episode I have seen on TV. was when Murphy gave birth.

There have been some really good shows that could do with a re-birth.

At the same time there are potentially great series that are possible. W. E. B. Griffin has several historical fiction series that would be excellent. We have also done a pretty good job of taking successful series from the UK and converting them to the US. This year we have seen a South Korean series converted to the US - it's called The Good Doctor. Bull is also doing well in it's second season.

Take Ugly Betty for example. It started out as a popular Colombian soap opera, was remade for the Mexican market and later was remade in English for the U.S.

BTW, anyone wish the Love Boat would get a remake ? Hell if Dynasty got one any show could....

seb146

Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:37 am

It could be that historic networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) are trying to revive their viewership. They are probably bringing back classic shows for Gen X and Boomers to get viewers from Netflix and Hulu and such. That said, I do not watch the remakes. The historic networks have some good shows.

dragon-wings

Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:30 am

Discovery channel also brought back Mythbuster with Brian Louden and Jon Lung as the hosts. They even tested a similar myth Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage did. Remember the myth that bullets fired into the air maintain their lethal capability when they eventually fall back down? Well this new Mythbusters did the same thing except they substituted arrows for the bullets.

727LOVER

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:01 pm

Hawaii Five-O
Charlie's Angels
The X Files
Roseanne
American Idol
Dallas
Will & Grace
Dynasty
Melrose Place
Magnum, PI
Murphy Brown

...I'm missing a few, I'm sure

casinterest

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:14 pm

Maybe Dan Quayle can star as a Dad?

cranberrysaus

Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:04 pm

The broadcast networks are out of ideas. Netflix/Hulu/Amazon is where the innovation in TV is these days.

OA412

Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:40 pm

cranberrysaus wrote:
The broadcast networks are out of ideas. Netflix/Hulu/Amazon is where the innovation in TV is these days.

This! I haven't watched a new network show in years because Netflix/Hulu/Amazon are putting out amazing content. In terms of those three, we're in a golden age of television content.

dfwjim1

Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:24 pm

727LOVER wrote:
Hawaii Five-O
Charlie's Angels
The X Files
Roseanne
American Idol
Dallas
Will & Grace
Dynasty
Melrose Place
Magnum, PI
Murphy Brown

ALL IN THE FAMILY my friend

ER757

Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:50 pm

Hollywood has re-hashed countless movies with re-makes and sequels, so TV has joined the fray in recent years as well.
I think it's hard to re-capture what made a good series the first time around with a re-boot, but we'll see.
I can't imagine networks trying to do a series like Cheers or Seinfeld again for example, but others might work.
I'd like to see them try one of my all-time favorites, only with an updated cast as the originals are too old now - WKRP in Cincinnati. I think it could be done and done well with good writers,

geologyrocks

Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:29 am

I'm probably in the minority as a dude but I think "This is Us" is a phenomenal show. Although I paint a broad brush because I can watch that and immediately follow up with Game of Thrones.

I also think Amazon's The Man in the High Castle is incredibly interesting.

With that being said, I too am over remakes in general both TV and movies. Even Spiderman...aren't we on the third reboot in like 15 years?

jetwet1

Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:40 pm

dragon-wings wrote:
Discovery channel also brought back Mythbuster with Brian Louden and Jon Lung as the hosts. They even tested a similar myth Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage did. Remember the myth that bullets fired into the air maintain their lethal capability when they eventually fall back down? Well this new Mythbusters did the same thing except they substituted arrows for the bullets.

And it sucks, no other way of putting it, eith let it die or bring back Jamie and Adam.

OA412 wrote:
cranberrysaus wrote:

This! I haven't watched a new network show in years because Netflix/Hulu/Amazon are putting out amazing content. In terms of those three, we're in a golden age of television content.

I agree, if I am sitting at home bored, I go to Amazon, Netflix or HBO they are putting out the best TV there has been in years.

Channex757

Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:48 pm

The future of TV is On Demand. Scheduled TV is dying. One of the biggest satellite TV companies, Sky in Europe, has just declared it is to transition to a majority on-demand service via the intertubes instead of programmed content via the dish.

Best feature of that? Like Netflix, they won't be forced to source endless filler to pad schedules. It means the money can go to watchable content and higher budget productions. I already subscribe to their Now TV service which costs much less and covers the channels I want. The Orville? I get it at breakfast time on Friday if I want it then.

I'm even glad to see some old ideas getting a new coat of paint thanks to the on-demand services of CBS and Netflix. Why not? Star Trek Discovery is the old Roddenberry idea of the Federation turned upside down and way, way more gritty now it's got into its stride. Screw the canon anoraks, this is taking a dying franchise and ripping it apart to make it watchable.

Over at Amazon the BBC's Top Gear gets reprised with a huge budget as the Grand Tour. The viewer figures can't be argued against.

Kiwirob

Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:51 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
I think Hollywood is out of ideas with the rehash of superhero movies over and over again. It's only recently that I've begun questioning TV...with remakes like Fuller House coming out or being aired...THAT'S being out of ideas.

Fuller House isn’t a remake it’s a continuation. It’s still pretty shitty.

Classa64

Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:15 am

Its the commercial time that's killing it for me watching anything on TV. And there has been nothing interesting come up in years that I even wanted to watch. I still watch MASH, All in the family, Rules of Engagement, Seinfeld, and still a bit of Big bang but its getting old.

As 727LOVER posted a lot of those shows I watched, were is the equivalent now?

einsteinboricua

Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:13 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Fuller House isn’t a remake it’s a continuation. It’s still pretty shitty.

Same concept but further into the future. Raven's Home is not "That's so Raven", yet it follows the same line.

Charmed is apparently getting a reboot. So is Roseanne. Bottom line: series are running out of ideas.

What next? Family Matters with Steve and Laura married?
The Big Bang Theory with all the kids in school?
Heroes 3.0?

727LOVER

Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:27 am

727LOVER wrote:
Hawaii Five-O
Charlie's Angels
The X Files
Roseanne
American Idol
Dallas
Will & Grace
Dynasty
Melrose Place
Magnum, PI
Murphy Brown

I forgot MacGyver

...just heard today, Cagney & Lacey is coming back !

Interestingly, one reboot I'd like to see is M*A*S*H. What it's like in today's army & war.

DIRECTFLT

Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:17 pm

The last time I faithfully watched a TV show as it aired weekly was in the 70's.
I think it was Hawaii Five-O.