Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlyingColours
Topic Author

YouTube's latest Adpocalypse (Revised)

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:38 am

The last thread was deleted due to me not reading the rules recently, my fault and no argument about it.

Youtube announced yesterday that they are changing the rules regarding their partner program, for channels to be eligible for this they need to have both 1,000 subscribers (total) and 4,000 hours of watch time (in the last 12 months). Being part of the partner program offers several benefits, the most notable one being ad-revenue but it also includes simpler things such as custom thumbnails, annotations, end card and other bits and bobs.

While this move will certainly stop the proliferation of the spam channels which steal content and re-upload purely to syphon off some ad-revenue it also has the massive knock on effect for the smaller channels, both those that are trying to grow from scratch and those that have grown enough to get into the program and are trying to flourish as YouTube has decided NOT to grandfather existing channels and has put them all on 30 days notice to reach those targets.

It has created a massive storm to say the least, last night I watched at least 20 videos from channels which I'd never seen before all talking and quite rightly panicking at the repercussions. YouTube's answer of "if you get less than 1 thousand views per month then you're only going to have got $2 per month anyway" is the wrong mentality, every little bit helps and it doesn't help when channels are on the verge of a massive hit which would now at best earn them subscribers but not the sudden boost of revenue.

I have 3 channels, my main one which is all about Railways & Trains in the UK is very popular considering the subject matter, the second channel is not monetized and effectively irrelevant in all this but my third channel is on aviation and has steadily grown over the last year and a bit and has got very popular skiathos videos on there which do actually earn a fair bit, especially when combined with the main channel (not exactly going to be raking it in but it pays for the transport costs), with a massive trip to Skiathos planned for May and New York for August is it worth trying to merge my channels? I don't think that is a great idea as it would alienate my existing subscriber base and also turn off other potential subscribers for the aviation channel, it's not just me asking this question though as there are others who right now are trying to think of ways to keep their channels going and still get their partner program benefits.

Is there anyone else on here who is affected by this?

Phil
FlyingColours

Bostrom

Re: YouTube's latest Adpocalypse (Revised)

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:04 am

I'm affected as well. I have a small youtube channel with some aviation (and a few rail) videos. Given how small my channel still is I won't lose a lot of income from youtube's action, but I will really miss the other benefits, such as custom thumbnails, annotations, end card etc.

FlyingColours
Topic Author

Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:37 pm

Youtube have confirmed that the custom thumbnails, annotations and cards will still be available which is some small consolation at least.

Pity about the money, I'd make some really clickbaity stuff to try and get hits but am above that ;)

Phil
FlyingColours

CCGPV

Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:15 pm

I've not seen an ad on Youtube or any other website in close to a decade. Channels based on advertising and commercial revenue are awful. 10:02 length, crammed with popup boxes and unskippable ads...I refuse to support that.

Channex757

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:50 pm

PewDiePie has posted a video discussing the issue. Worth a look. It's on his channel and gives a neutral opinion on it, but does discuss the point of deterring bad content and content thieves.