stratosphere
Topic Author

Puerto Rico corruption run amok

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:39 am

Funny how CNN and liberals in general loves to go to Puerto Rico and try to make it appear like our government doesn't care about Puerto Ricans and tries to show that there is little progress there and that Trump doesn't care about them. I knew all along that corruption runs deep there and they were a mess well before any hurricane came along. My buddy is a lineman getting ready to deploy there he sent me this.

https://theintercept.com/2018/01/10/pue ... 1#comments

einsteinboricua

Re: Puerto Rico corruption run amok

Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:24 pm

Tell me something I don't know. Having been born and raised there, this was the daily bread and it still is.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

JJJ

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:39 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Tell me something I don't know. Having been born and raised there, this was the daily bread and it still is.

Plus Rosselló is from the Puerto Rican analogue to the Republican party anyway, so the liberal conspiracy doesn't really hold.

jetero

Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:52 pm

It’ll all be Ok Strato

(Do you feel as strongly about things that actually affect you?)

mbmbos

Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:59 pm

stratosphere wrote:
Funny how CNN and liberals in general loves to go to Puerto Rico and try to make it appear like our government doesn't care about Puerto Ricans and tries to show that there is little progress there and that Trump doesn't care about them. I knew all along that corruption runs deep there and they were a mess well before any hurricane came along. My buddy is a lineman getting ready to deploy there he sent me this.

https://theintercept.com/2018/01/10/pue ... 1#comments

So what is the point of posting this? To justify not providing relief for hundreds of thousands of American citizens who have seen their island virtually leveled by a hurricane? Their government leaders are corrupt, therefore they don't deserve assistance?

I find it interesting that a strong current of thought among Republicans is to find excuses not to share or show compassion to others.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

c933103

Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:22 pm

Invest no money there => No money being put in public infrastructure => Oh the reason why they have no money must be due to their corruption!

lol

einsteinboricua

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:54 pm

mbmbos wrote:
I find it interesting that a strong current of thought among Republicans is to find excuses not to share or show compassion to others.

It is thanks, in part, to Republicans that the economy is in pretty bad shape to begin with. Corruption is definitely prevalent, no question about it.

Republicans also phased out the tax credits that buoyed the economy for decades: companies were encourage to set up shop and hire locals in exchange for tax credits/benefits. In 1996 these credits were eliminated with a 10-year phase out. Yes, the island had 10 years to prepare itself, but when Congress dictates how the island can boost its economy, it's easier said than done.

In 2006 the credits expired and folks filed unemployment and government assistance. End result is that as spending was diverted to other things, with politicians also lining their pockets and pork barrel spending to ensure votes, less money was invested in infrastructure and other services.

The island's government has been flawed, but to pin the whole blame on it is ridiculous when the island can't even revamp its economy. Tourism only goes so far.

Mir

Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:44 am

mbmbos wrote:
So what is the point of posting this? To justify not providing relief for hundreds of thousands of American citizens who have seen their island virtually leveled by a hurricane? Their government leaders are corrupt, therefore they don't deserve assistance?

It can't just be corruption. Republicans love corruption now, ever since they hitched their horse to someone who lives and breathes corruption. They just can't get enough of it. So there's got to be something else at play here, something that's true about Puerto Rico but not true about other areas of the US struck by hurricanes this year. Hmm...I wonder what it could be... :scratchchin:
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

WarRI1

Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:08 am

Well one outcome of the lagging repair of the infrastructure of Puerto Rico is a national shortage of intravenous bags for medical care. Seems the eggs were all put in one basket as usual and now we the mighty US cannot supply the healthcare facilities. They are using Gatorade and straws to keep patients hydrated especially from this Flu outbreak.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

stratosphere
Topic Author

Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:23 am

WarRI1 wrote:
Well one outcome of the lagging repair of the infrastructure of Puerto Rico is a national shortage of intravenous bags for medical care. Seems the eggs were all put in one basket as usual and now we the mighty US cannot supply the healthcare facilities. They are using Gatorade and straws to keep patients hydrated especially from this Flu outbreak.

Yep the US hospitals are getting their clock cleaned. I don't know if there are any other manufacturers that make IV bags but this is proof that do not put all your eggs in one basket. But in our case I am sure it was the lowest bidder which businesses are notorious for. Well sometimes you learn the hard way.

chepos

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:40 am

What is the point of this garbage?
Fly the Flag!!!!

einsteinboricua

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:41 am

Mir wrote:
So there's got to be something else at play here, something that's true about Puerto Rico but not true about other areas of the US struck by hurricanes this year. Hmm...I wonder what it could be... :scratchchin:

Something? Man I can think of three things right off the bat (two of which go hand in hand).

jetero

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:59 am

Greetings from Puerto Rico, stratosphere!

You seemed to be so concerned about policy and corruption issues here, enough to start a thread after all.

You must be so busy reading about how the best possible ways to solve everything. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

This is my first time visiting. I had not really read the history before. Nor would I say I have as substantive of an understanding about Puerto Rican history to start a thread as to the same.

But, in the spirit of pretending I know as much about Puerto Rican history as you are outraged about the systemic corruption, I'm going to go ahead say that Luiz Munoz Marin (for whom the airport is named) sounds, on balance, like kind of a nutcase. (Why would he marry someone from Oklahoma, after all?! And then they divorced. And then she died in San Juan 30 years later! She probably lived in Puerto Rico more than he did!)

I'm here for 12 hours before I have to go elsewhere in the Caribbean (which, I now understand, is a difficult place to get around!). As a Houstonian after Harvey, I get the same feeling here. This city ain't shutting down.

Anyway, still waiting for your solution, strato. (Other than barring men from women's restrooms.)

(EB I hope your family is still doing well!)