Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Hawaiian Airlines and Hawaii 5-0

Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:17 am

I am a regular watcher of the "new" version of Hawaii 5-0 and I just happened to notice that the HAL A330 that was part of the introduction no longer appears in the intro. I am assuming that HAL no longer wanted to pay for their name to be advertised on 5-0 but if someone could confirm my suspicions I would appreciate it. I miss seeing that big bird peeling off as the theme music for Hawaii 5-0 plays.

Thanks for your responses.

PanzerPowner

Re: Hawaiian Airlines and Hawaii 5-0

Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:40 am

It could be so. HAL has faded in and out of appearances in Hawaii Five O plot wise and background wise. Sometimes when a major or minor character is traveling or even leaving it's with Hawaiian. But In some other cases they use a fictional airline. Let alone their horrendous Honolulu to Heathrow flight in one episode.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

SkyVoice

Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:46 pm

In the original series (CBS, 1968-80), United Airlines was an integral part of each show's intro, as well as in the plots of many episodes, but I do remember an appearance by Hawaiian Airlines. I that episode, Steve and Danny had to fly to Hilo, which they did aboard a Hawaiian Airlines DC-9. Back then, Hilo (ITO/PHTO) was the second busiest airport in the Islands, with international flights and service to the mainland. Now, Hilo has some interisland flights and a lot of empty gates.

United_fan

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:01 pm

SkyVoice wrote:
In the original series (CBS, 1968-80), United Airlines was an integral part of each show's intro, as well as in the plots of many episodes, but I do remember an appearance by Hawaiian Airlines. I that episode, Steve and Danny had to fly to Hilo, which they did aboard a Hawaiian Airlines DC-9. Back then, Hilo (ITO/PHTO) was the second busiest airport in the Islands, with international flights and service to the mainland. Now, Hilo has some interisland flights and a lot of empty gates.

The original series was a treasure trove of classic airplanes & airlines.

azjubilee

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:16 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
I am a regular watcher of the "new" version of Hawaii 5-0 and I just happened to notice that the HAL A330 that was part of the introduction no longer appears in the intro. I am assuming that HAL no longer wanted to pay for their name to be advertised on 5-0 but if someone could confirm my suspicions I would appreciate it. I miss seeing that big bird peeling off as the theme music for Hawaii 5-0 plays.

Thanks for your responses.

I believe an agreement was in place for this promo/sponsorship, but that agreement has come to an end.