Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Non Av Pic Thread, Q1 2018

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:53 pm

New Year+January boredom=time for new thread . . . although most of these pics were taken in December:

WarRI1

Re: Non Av Pic Thread, Q1 2018

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:42 am

Braybuddy.

Happy New Year to you. Good shots. The guy embracing the young lady looks like an actor from the past.

The two young ladies make me yearn to be young again. ;)

The guy in the last photo somehow reminds me of you in your site photo, my wife say no.

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:57 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

Happy New Year to you. Good shots. The guy embracing the young lady looks like an actor from the past.

The guy in the last photo somehow reminds me of you in your site photo, my wife say no.

And a Happy New Year to you, WarRI1, and your good wife!

Have to say, I agree with her on the last pic, but I'm not complaining, given that he must be 20+ years younger!

I put other guy's pic into Google image search, and it threw up Patrick Swayze :shock: , Clint Eastwood :shock: :shock: , and Rosemary Clooney :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:. Other than that, I'm stumped . . .

WarRI1

Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:26 am

Braybuddy wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

And a Happy New Year to you, WarRI1, and your good wife!

Have to say, I agree with her on the last pic, but I'm not complaining, given that he must be 20+ years younger!

I put other guy's pic into Google image search, and it threw up Patrick Swayze :shock: , Clint Eastwood :shock: :shock: , and Rosemary Clooney :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:. Other than that, I'm stumped . . .

Darn it, I will never learn to not challege my wife on looks and pictures, she defeats me everytime. A bitter pill, not easily swallowed. I am afraid that I must suffer the same fate on the guy that reminds me of an actor, I always do. What I see, she does not. :white:

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:04 pm

I always struggle with photography this time of year, but it has it's compensations with the beautiful light. And there's always the fallback of nature, even if it is a bit bleak in January, but that has it's own stark attraction, I suppose:

WarRI1

Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:57 am

Braybuddy.

Once again thanks for the pictures. Is that an Incinerator in the photo of the smoke stacks? A most unusual building attached. I like the solar powered light.

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:00 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

Once again thanks for the pictures. Is that an Incinerator in the photo of the smoke stacks? A most unusual building attached. I like the solar powered light.

:checkmark: Well spotted WarRI1, your eagle-eye hasn't deserted you . . . and the building is all part of the complex. It must have been working at peak capacity that day as I had never seen so much steam emanating from it, which is what caught my eye. And it contrasted nicely with the dark smoke in the background, which was emanating from a recycling depot in the distance which was on fire. :eek:

WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

You know I had never, ever, noticed that before, but now that you point it out it's quite obvious . . . :idea:

WarRI1

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:09 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

:checkmark: Well spotted WarRI1, your eagle-eye hasn't deserted you . . . and the building is all part of the complex. It must have been working at peak capacity that day as I had never seen so much steam emanating from it, which is what caught my eye. And it contrasted nicely with the dark smoke in the background, which was emanating from a recycling depot in the distance which was on fire. :eek:

WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

You know I had never, ever, noticed that before, but now that you point it out it's quite obvious . . . :idea:

Keep em coming, I will see what I can find. ;)

VapourTrails

Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:12 am

Another set of great shots. :thumbsup: I normally dwell on the scenery ones more, but the people in these and their expressions are very well portrayed here. I like the effects you have used in your photography also, and greyscale is always my personal favourite. :profile:

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:52 pm

VapourTrails wrote:
Another set of great shots. :thumbsup: I normally dwell on the scenery ones more, but the people in these and their expressions are very well portrayed here. I like the effects you have used in your photography also, and greyscale is always my personal favourite. :profile:

Thanks, VapourTrails :smile:! Funny, I'm not really a landscape photographer at all, I only do them when there's something interesting (such as snow) or I'm stuck for ideas. But I do admire the patience of landscape photographers who get up at unearthly hours to catch the beautiful morning light, and drive around scouting locations, hanging around for hours and hours waiting for the right conditions. I just don't have the patience for that, and even if I did, whatever pics I take would have been taken before by someone else, and no doubt better, so I leave all that to the experts! I much prefer taking pictures of people, whether it's portraits or street photography. But each to their own, and as I say, I admire them greatly. There are so many programs available now with every effect imaginable, so they're definitely worth checking out -- and they can really transform an image. Greyscale or black and white can be very classy when used properly, and it really comes into its own with street photography :yes:

Oh and, I just might have some pics you'll find interesting over the next couple months . . . :wink2:

vikkyvik

Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:41 pm

Haven't taken much in the way of non-av photos recently. About all I can share is one of the thinnest crescent moons I can remember seeing:

WarRI1

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:08 am

vikkyvik wrote:
Haven't taken much in the way of non-av photos recently. About all I can share is one of the thinnest crescent moons I can remember seeing:

Better than I have ever seen, good timing.

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:15 pm

A few pics from a recent trip around northern France. An great time to visit, as there were few tourists. One thing I love about France is how smartly women dress, which is great for photography:

WarRI1

Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:05 am

Thanks for the pictures once again. The young ladies do look well dressed and it does not surprise me from the image I have of French Style. I like the well dressed roller blade girl. The grid picture almost looks like iron or steel rails and must be very old and deteriorated from salt water by the condition. I wonder what they were used for? They almost look like a type of shipway for boats.

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:26 am

WarRI1 wrote:
Thanks for the pictures once again. The young ladies do look well dressed and it does not surprise me from the image I have of French Style. I like the well dressed roller blade girl. The grid picture almost looks like iron or steel rails and must be very old and deteriorated from salt water by the condition. I wonder what they were used for? They almost look like a type of shipway for boats.

It doesn't serve any function at all, WarRI1, as far as I can tell, apart from stopping people falling into the water! It's on the pier in Dieppe (circled in pic below), between the breakwater (strip of concrete on left) and the actual pier (wider strip of concrete on right). The areas where the water is visible are surrounded by low walls, but for some reason that area isn't behind a wall at all, so I presume it's there purely for safety reasons: :smile:

WarRI1

Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:03 am

I bow to the designer. Thanks for the aerial view. I must confess to being still confused on that design. The name Dieppe sure jogged the memory banks. Not a good day for British and Canadian forces.

http://www.culture24.org.uk/history-and ... o/tra13494

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:56 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
The name Dieppe sure jogged the memory banks. Not a good day for British and Canadian forces.

I have to confess my knowlege of WWII is very sketchy, so knew nothing of the Dieppe Raid. Thanks for that! Funnily enough, I did notice Canadian flags in various places around the town, so there's obviously a strong connection there still, which is nice.

WarRI1

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:39 am

Braybuddy wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
The name Dieppe sure jogged the memory banks. Not a good day for British and Canadian forces.

I have to confess my knowlege of WWII is very sketchy, so knew nothing of the Dieppe Raid. Thanks for that! Funnily enough, I did notice Canadian flags in various places around the town, so there's obviously a strong connection there still, which is nice.

You are welcome. A guy my age remembers things you young kids do not. ;)

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:17 pm

Great to see the days getting longer, with more opportunities for getting out and about with the camera. Some pics taken locally and around the capital:

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:49 pm

Aussies don't need ANY excuse for partying, and Mardi Gras is a great time to take a trip Down Under:

WarRI1

Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:06 am

Braybuddy. I do not know how I missed this set of pictures. I am curious as to the make of the auto in the pictures. The large hood badge looks similar to the Cadillac badge from US. The grill has similarities to a model of Cadillac and Lincoln way back.

WarRI1

Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:26 am

Braybuddy.

I noticed in picture 4, the girl at the wall also appears in picture 12. I recognized the socks. I almost did not see them with that shocking pink dress in 12.

VapourTrails

Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:39 am

Oh, I didn’t know Kylie had a new album out in April. :profile:

The photo with the new and old architecture contrast, wondering where that is...

WarRI1

Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:45 am

VapourTrails wrote:
Oh, I didn’t know Kylie had a new album out in April. :profile:

The photo with the new and old architecture contrast, wondering where that is...

I was going to ask about that tower myself and I forgot. :shakehead:

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:52 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy. I do not know how I missed this set of pictures. I am curious as to the make of the auto in the pictures. The large hood badge looks similar to the Cadillac badge from US. The grill has similarities to a model of Cadillac and Lincoln way back.

It's a Nash Ambassador WarRI1, and going by the Wikipedia entry, would seem to be the post-war model:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nash_Ambassador
If you're wondering what it was doing here, it was being used as a prop on a film set. I'm more surprised that you didn't notice the strange field of poppies in the middle of winter: they're all fake, and part of the set. It's a film about the aftermath of a nuclear war, apparently (hence the strange structure made out of freight containers).

WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.
I noticed in picture 4, the girl at the wall also appears in picture 12..

Well spotted! I hadn't noticed that at all.:checkmark:

WarRI1 wrote:
I recognized the socks..

I believe you . . . : :D

VapourTrails wrote:
Oh, I didn’t know Kylie had a new album out in April.

It's amazing the things you learn on a.net :yes:. I assume it's called Golden because she turns 50 this year.

VapourTrails wrote:

WarRI1 wrote:
I was going to ask about that tower myself and I forgot. :shakehead:

I think you both might be talking about different pics, as VapourTrails would no doubt instantly recognise the Sydney Tower, one of the well-known symbols of the city:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Tower
The buiding in the foreground is the David Jones department store. I'm not sure exactly where the second pic was taken, but probably somewhere around the Surry Hills area of the city. The coloured panels caught my eye and made a nice contrast to the Victorian streescape below.

WarRI1

Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:12 am

Braybuddy.

I almost mentioned the Poppies, but did not have a clue about the time of year. The Nash Ambassador, I knew there was something American with that design, yet did not have a clue as to the make. I looked up the 46 Ambassador, and there it was. We were heavy on grills and chrome in those days here. So picture number one is the Sydney Tower? How long was the flight to Australia by the way?

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:13 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
The Nash Ambassador, I knew there was something American with that design, yet did not have a clue as to the make. I looked up the 46 Ambassador, and there it was. We were heavy on grills and chrome in those days here.

And all the better for it too! Such a beautiful and stylish looking vehicle, and one I'd never come across before. It's a pity it's not in better condition, but it still looks magnificent.

WarRI1 wrote:
How long was the flight to Australia by the way?

Longer than expected! The Beast from the East brought the country to a standstill with snow, and we were flying out the morning it arrived, so with delays we missed our connection in Abu Dhabi. What should have been a 22-hour journey actually took 31 :melting: . But we were lucky, had we booked to fly a day or more later the delays would have been much worse. We're not great at dealing with snow here . . . :shakehead:

WarRI1

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:36 am

Braybuddy wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
The Nash Ambassador, I knew there was something American with that design, yet did not have a clue as to the make. I looked up the 46 Ambassador, and there it was. We were heavy on grills and chrome in those days here.

And all the better for it too! Such a beautiful and stylish looking vehicle, and one I'd never come across before. It's a pity it's not in better condition, but it still looks magnificent.

WarRI1 wrote:
How long was the flight to Australia by the way?

Longer than expected! The Beast from the East brought the country to a standstill with snow, and we were flying out the morning it arrived, so with delays we missed our connection in Abu Dhabi. What should have been a 22-hour journey actually took 31 :melting: . But we were lucky, had we booked to fly a day or more later the delays would have been much worse. We're not great at dealing with snow here . . . :shakehead:

Now that is a long time. I have never even thought of a flight of that length. 5 or six hours is about it before I start climbing the walls. I cannot sleep. I sure hope you were able to. As the old saying goes "Timing is everything" You had some good and some bad, and bad weather can change it all. I appreciate the pictures more so now that I know the price you paid to get there. :crowded: