1337Delta764
Topic Author

When do you plan to take your Christmas lights down?

Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:48 pm

Now that Christmas Day is past, I was wondering, when do you plan to take your Christmas lights down?

We plan to take ours down on January 6. We will take down our Star Showers and the lights wrapping the tree in our front yard. Our icicle lights on our back fence will remain up, but we won't turn them on except for parties. The red and green bulbs in our front light fixtures will be changed to red and pink for Valentine's Day.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

dtw2hyd

Re: When do you plan to take your Christmas lights down?

Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:34 pm

The ones easily accessible sometime in January, rest depends on old man winter. If it is unsafe I leave those until March.

geologyrocks

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:08 pm

I took mine down yesterday along with the tree. I always try to get everything done by New Years. It's just a personal thing as I see it as things to do and rather just get it over with.

fr8mech

Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:31 am

Always the first weekend after New Year's Day. If we happen to have a real tree, it goes down right after Christmas. I'm really not that comfortable with a tinder box in the house.
When seconds count...the authorities are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.

Channex757

Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:42 am

Always before the 6th of January as Twelfth Night is a tradition here.

jovelson

Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:43 am

Same here. The first weekend of January.

Okie

Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:46 am

I do Christmas with family on Christmas Eve, so the tree came down on Christmas day because the cleaning service was coming on Tuesday to pick up after the destruction.

The outside lights might come down tomorrow because it is suppose to be warm. However, it is the last work day of the year probably means they will just get disconnected and taken down on a warm day next week as the weekend weather is predicted to be subzero wind chill and snow.

I have two oak trees out front that I wrapped the trunks with some size 6 LED's and have had to replace them several times already this year. The squirrels keep gnawing the wires and bulbs and there is quite a pile of wire and bulbs around the trunk on the ground as we speak. I may just have to wait an extra week and all I will have to do is take a rake an bag the lights up.

I have several neighbors who appear to be descendants of the Griswold's and I just do not have the time to keep up.
I usually put up a some lights. This year I bought some strings of LED's on line that were of different colors than the Griswold's usually purchase at the local venues for a little one up man ship.
I got strings of Pink (did not want to have 1337Delta764 feelings hurt), Aqua, Purple, and Orange (Oklahoma State) instead of red, green, yellow and blue. They were quite impressive I must say.

Okie

Edited to add we finally have snow on the homepage.

Ken777

Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:26 am

was 3 weeks late putting up the lights outside - and only put up about a third of the normal amount - so I'll probably be late taking them down. The tree is still in the storage shed and I really didn't miss it as we have a few small ones that the better half put up. n

Painful to admit, but that lung surgery has really knocked me on my butt. The Doc said it would take a yer to recover so next year I'll try to do better. Actually next year I'll get the grandkids to take care of that task. :old:

dragon-wings

Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:02 am

We used to take the light and tree down around January 3rd. But now they want to take the stuff down the day after Christmas. I don't like it. I like to keep it up until after New Years because I consider that the holidays.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

MikeKelly

Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:07 am

January 7th after the 12 days of Christmas,
I love Christmas!!

einsteinboricua

Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:36 pm

My parents typically stow away the tree after the 6th, though they have been known to stow it earlier. They never decorate outside (save for one year where we put on a nice display).

As for me, I have a cat so Christmas tree and lights were off the table. I only had a wreath hung on my door which will come down after the 6th or when it gets too brown...whichever comes first.

Christmas back home starts Black Friday and doesn't end until January 14th (unofficially). It culminates with an artisan festival in Old San Juan (which has been turned into a January version of Oktoberfest).
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

EA CO AS

Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:05 am

Years ago, I'd noticed some people down the block who kept their lights up - and on - well past the "usual" first weekend after New Year's Day. So Valentine's Day came and went, and the lights remained up, and on. Then St. Patrick's Day. Then Memorial Day. Independence Day. All year long, the lights remained up, and on each night.

And then, on Christmas Eve, they went off. And stayed off on Christmas Day.

Then, on December 26th, they went back on again!!

It was like the homeowner was engaged in a year-long psychological warfare battle with himself, and it was awesome.

And yes, the lights came down the first weekend after New Year's the next year.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

BobPatterson

Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:51 am

I procrastinate in putting them up and in taking them down. Just a single strand of lights on the inside of our porch, looping at each of 9 windows. Twenty minute job when I get to it. I get nagged about getting them up but not about taking them down. Also one wreath on the outside of the front door. It the lights aren't turned on no one (outside) knows they are there.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

CitizenJustin

Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:10 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
Now that Christmas Day is past, I was wondering, when do you plan to take your Christmas lights down?

We plan to take ours down on January 6. We will take down our Star Showers and the lights wrapping the tree in our front yard. Our icicle lights on our back fence will remain up, but we won't turn them on except for parties. The red and green bulbs in our front light fixtures will be changed to red and pink for Valentine's Day.

We’re experiencing record cold with wind chills forecasted to be -30. I’m certainly not going to take them down when it’s that cold, so I have an excuse to keep stalling ;). But I typically take them down January 1.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:21 pm

Note that this year after Valentine's Day, since Easter falls on an early date, we will be skipping our green St. Patrick's Day lights and going straight to yellow and pink Easter lights.

flyingclrs727

Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:25 pm

Since my wife is Orthodox Christian, we keep up Christmas decorations till at least after Orthodox Christmas which is January 7.

frmrCapCadet

Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:18 pm

Before bedtime on the 6th of January
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

seb146

Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:41 pm

A meme that was shared on social media went something like:

I don't believe it. 364 days until Christmas and my jerk of a neighbor already has his Christmas lights up!

We were in the middle of moving, so we didn't even get them up. No need to take them down! When we had put them up, we usually take them down sometime in early January, when we get around to it.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Flighty

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:17 pm

Probably March. I should put a kill-a-watt out there and see how many watts are being drawn.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:58 am

As of today, I have taken our outdoor decorations down and have replaced the red and green bulbs with red and pink bulbs for Valentine's Day. I also put away my miniature pink Christmas tree that was in my bedroom. However, my mother just came back from Puerto Rico and she was very tired from her overnight trip, so we will probably take down our main indoor tree tomorrow.

Classa64

Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:40 pm

Its been close to around -20c every day since before Christmas , Last night -26c Night before -34c high yesterday was -22. Everything cords and all is frozen into the ice and snow but its going to be +5c and rain by Thursday I guess I will give it a try that day :)
"Freedom is the miles i'm rolling on"

fr8mech

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:19 pm

Well, the Christmas lights are down, even though it was a balmy 17f, -8c. Needed to get it done today, because, even though it will be in the mid 30’s tomorrow, we will be dealing with a “wintry-mix” precipitation type of day.
When seconds count...the authorities are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:18 am

Well, we took down our indoor tree today. It was a great holiday season.

One thing though is that I wonder what would be some good Valentine's Day decorations to put inside or outside. Sure we have our red and pink bulbs, but perhaps something in addition to that would be nice.

WarRI1

Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:43 am

This could be a record this year for being up and out longer, frozen snow has all my cords and timers buried, a warm up coming this week. Unusual cold last fourteen days. Record is eighteen days strsight here.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

aerorobnz

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:41 am

I didn't put any lights or a Christmas tree up. It saves a lot of needless time and effort.
Flown to 128 Airports in 48 Countries on 81 Operators. Visited 56 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

frmrCapCadet

Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:15 pm

aerorobnz wrote:
I didn't put any lights or a Christmas tree up. It saves a lot of needless time and effort.

Bah Humbug! LOL
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

kellyon

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:14 pm

After 15th January