Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dutchy
Topic Author

Who's the booziest?

Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:39 pm

I would have thought that it was to be eastern European countries, my preconception was challenged and put right.

HHScot

Re: Who's the booziest?

Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:21 pm

Is this in the wrong forum? Unless of course you're specifically talking about onboard/in airport drinking.

In that case I'm always amazed at how much alcohol you see getting consumed at 4am at UK airports by those going on 6am flights to holiday destinations. I never see any of that in Germany or the Netherlands.

IPFreely

Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:41 pm

Dutchy wrote:
I would have thought that it was to be eastern European countries, my preconception was challenged and put right.

World Health Organization (WHO) data is completely different: Their top ten in 2016 are:

1. Lithania 18.2 l/year/person
2. Belarus 16.4
3. Moldova 15.9
4. Russia 13.9
5. Romania 13.7
6. Czech Republic 13.7
T7. Croatia 13.6
T7. Bulgaria 13.6
9. Belgium 13.2
10. Ukraine 12.8

http://apps.who.int/gho/data/node.sdg.3-5-viz?lang=en

NIKV69

Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:04 pm

Come on GB you got some catching up to do!

IPFreely

Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:47 pm

Dutchy wrote:

I see the issue. Your chart is results of a survey covering 38 countries. It doesn't say what countries were surveyed but they probably left out most of the eastern European countries. The World Health Organization data covers 140 countries.

Aesma

Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:35 am

These numbers are hard to believe. When they say per capita, it doesn't include children. But still, considering a fair amount of people don't drink at all or don't drink much, it means there are a lot of alcoholics out there to compensate.

If you're in that average it means you're already drinking pretty much a drink a day, or enough drinks on "on" days to compensate for off days.

SheikhDjibouti

Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:31 pm

The "Perils of Perception" survey was all about people's perception, not the actual facts themselves.

For that purpose, it appears that they only invited people from 38 countries to take part, and asked them a variety of questions about their country, and the other 37 countries on the list. The variety of questions included murder rates, terrorism, diabetes, suicide, car ownership, etc, etc. Alcohol was just one area of interest.

It was never about which country was the booziest across the whole world, it was only which country from this selection of 38.

It was also less about which country was the booziest, and more about how you rated your own country.

Example;
Perils of Perception wrote:
Most countries significantly overestimate the number of registered vehicles in their country, although people in the US and Japan underestimate this.
Notice how the actual numbers of registered vehicles, and whether your own country is at the top of the list or at the bottom, is irrelevant. It is your perception that counts.

Having said that, the table provided by Dutchy is still valid, but only as a comparison between... Germany, Great Britain, Russia, Poland, etc.... and Malaysia, Indonesia, and Saudi Arabia (where alcohol is illegal).

bagoldex

Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:37 am

Aesma wrote:
These numbers are hard to believe. When they say per capita, it doesn't include children. But still, considering a fair amount of people don't drink at all or don't drink much, it means there are a lot of alcoholics out there to compensate.

If you're in that average it means you're already drinking pretty much a drink a day, or enough drinks on "on" days to compensate for off days.

A drink a day is within the limits specified by most national health organizations and experts.

Aesma

Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:49 pm

Yes but if the average is that, then considering that many millions are below, it means many millions are above.

Tugger

Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:06 pm

These survey is a lie! Another west attempt to discredit the greatness of Russia! Russia is better with alcohol than any other country! None can top Russia, even with these western spread lies in their lying media.

Signed Scopuious

/humor and sarcasm. : spin :

Tugg

WarRI1

Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:48 pm

Watch the dash-cams from Russia, they win it hands down. Everybody is sloshed. :drunk: :drunk:

jetwet1

Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:16 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Come on GB you got some catching up to do!

I was wondering where the Irish were.

BobPatterson

Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:03 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
The "Perils of Perception" survey was all about people's perception, not the actual facts themselves.

Nothing more need be said.

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Having said that, the table provided by Dutchy is still valid, but only as a comparison between... Germany, Great Britain, Russia, Poland, etc.... and Malaysia, Indonesia, and Saudi Arabia (where alcohol is illegal).

The table can be nothing more than a ranking of perceptions which might be expected to vary wildly for any number of reasons. I can see no reason to consider it "valid" as anything other than a fiction. Perhaps I am missing something.

Scorpius

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:49 am

Dynamics of consumption of alcohol in litres per capita in Russia for the year in terms of pure alcohol. Data from the Ministry of health of Russia, from 2008 to 2017

Scorpius

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:51 am

Tugger wrote:
These survey is a lie! Another west attempt to discredit the greatness of Russia! Russia is better with alcohol than any other country! None can top Russia, even with these western spread lies in their lying media.

Signed Scopuious

/humor and sarcasm. : spin :

Tugg

What a wonderful example of demagoguery to come up with some assertion and give his statement a completely different person.
Are you not ashamed?

WIederling

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:55 am

WarRI1 wrote:
Watch the dash-cams from Russia, they win it hands down. Everybody is sloshed. :drunk: :drunk:

Friend of mine has in most years an intern from Eastern Europe for 2 to 4 month working on his farm.

During a fete the friendly and also fleshy guys from the neighborhood attempted to "fill him up" on snaps rounds offered.
When the night was done the German farm workers were soundly smashed and this skinny guy from Russia still
busy sipping another Wodka.:-)

Russia with for a time an exceptionally low reproduction rate has less people below legal age
than forex a nation like the US or some African nation.

SheikhDjibouti

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:18 am

BobPatterson wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:

Nothing more need be said.

SheikhDjibouti wrote:

The table can be nothing more than a ranking of perceptions which might be expected to vary wildly for any number of reasons. I can see no reason to consider it "valid" as anything other than a fiction. Perhaps I am missing something.

Possibly
The purpose of the survey is about perceptions. However the data behind the survey is real world data.
That is to say, Belgium really does drink an average of 12.60 litres of pure alcohol (equivalent) per annum per capita (*)
However, Belgians quite possibly sincerely believe that it is the United Kingdom that is full of lager louts, not themselves...

(*) "per capita" is written on the table as shown, but WHO data, from which this is derived, refines that to per capita (aged 15 & over), to give a more meaningful average. The fact that 18 is the usual legal lower limit for drinking in most of the civilised world, tells you that the WHO acknowledge the many that begin their careers earlier than that, such as myself starting with wine consumed at Sunday lunch at home with my parents. From the age of 11 I even accompanied my father to the off-licence and volunteered selections, such as Gevrey-Chambertain (before it became horrendously expensive), or Beaujolais-Villages (typically a better bet than the more obvious Beaujolais). In reality my knowledge was very thin at that age, but my father humoured me even so, and with time came a better understanding. All these years later I can honestly say that my "education" has not been wasted. :lol:

Kiwirob

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:41 am

HHScot wrote:
Is this in the wrong forum? Unless of course you're specifically talking about onboard/in airport drinking.

In that case I'm always amazed at how much alcohol you see getting consumed at 4am at UK airports by those going on 6am flights to holiday destinations. I never see any of that in Germany or the Netherlands.

People in the UK binge drink on Friday and Saturday nights, whereas Germans consume more frequently would be my understanding of the issue.

jetero

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:49 am

Roy Moore and his wife must go through a bottle a week.

WIederling

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:56 am

Kiwirob wrote:
HHScot wrote:

People in the UK binge drink on Friday and Saturday nights, whereas Germans consume more frequently would be my understanding of the issue.

The younger Germans do "Vorglühen". i.e. meet at someones home,
consume self bought "alcoholic beverages" to bring up their promille to some acceptable level
and then go to the disco in a group for just enough drinks to not be thrown out.

Historically the Brits started to booze up from 17:00 or ( 16:00 for Scotland ).
With a bit of pressure to "fill up" before "last drinks" at 9:45 :-)
Germans tend to enter the pub for drinking much later 19:00 .. 21:00
open end. much less of a "haste, haste" environment.

Beer bought over the counter wasn't all that much cheaper than in the pub
so there is an established "drink in the pub" culture whereas Germany has more of a "drink at home" way.

WIederling

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:59 am

jetero wrote:
Roy Moore and his wife must go through a bottle a week.

Elderly pair of boat owners I knew ( then too old to go sailing alone anymore ) went through 4+ bottles of wine in summer.

... every day... 8-o

Dutchy
Topic Author

Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:51 pm

Scorpius wrote:
Dynamics of consumption of alcohol in litres per capita in Russia for the year in terms of pure alcohol. Data from the Ministry of health of Russia, from 2008 to 2017

Russian Ministry statistics, they must be right :lol:

I couldn't resist, sorry :white:

WIederling

Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:38 pm

Dutchy wrote:
[

Looks like Russian see less need to wash away their problems with booze. :-)

Bongodog1964

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:11 pm

Not surprised the Belgians are high up the list, they think a 7% beer is weak !!

Scorpius

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:57 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Scorpius wrote:

You want to say that you know best from the Netherlands? You know the situation better in Russia than the Ministry of health of Russia and the Russian statistics service?

Dutchy
Topic Author

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:57 pm

Scorpius wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Scorpius wrote:

You want to say that you know best from the Netherlands? You know the situation better in Russia than the Ministry of health of Russia and the Russian statistics service?

Don't take everything so serious :D

WIederling

Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:25 am

Dutchy wrote:
Don't take everything so serious :D

After having written unending diatribe that his home Russia is the darkest place between Gods hairy ass cheeks?
Difficult to make that jump.