Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NoTime
Topic Author

The media's Russia probe meltdown: 3 screw-ups in one week

Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:32 pm

Given these continued screw-ups, plus things like deliberately editing video and misconstruing transcripts to make Trump look foolish (such as the Koi feeding nonsense, and the Japanese car nonsense), is it any wonder that no one takes the news media seriously these days?

The media is having a rough week when it comes to reporting on the federal government's multiple ongoing Russia investigations. Three stories in the past seven days have crumbled under greater scrutiny.

Why it matters: In today's hyperpolarized world, "fake news" has become a refrain to describe stories that observers on both sides of the spectrum decide that they don't like. These reporting issues by esteemed media organizations give credence to that ignorance, which further damages the value of insightful, impactful reporting — especially when it comes to one of the biggest, most polarizing stories of our political age: the Russia probe.

The misses

1) Flynn's testimony: Last Friday, ABC News reported that former national security advisor Michael Flynn was prepared to testify that President Trump, while still a candidate, directed him to contact Russian officials. But later in the day, the network issued a "clarification" that...

https://www.axios.com/the-medias-russia ... m=politics

Brick

Re: The media's Russia probe meltdown: 3 screw-ups in one week

Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:54 pm

Here are the 7 times so far in 2017 that CNN has ran "fake news": http://dailycaller.com/2017/12/08/7-tim ... s-in-2017/

It bothers me that many people in the United States as well as outside of the United States still get their news from a single source: Fake CNN news. In order to be truly informed, you need to tapping into several different news sources....but since that requires effort, most people won't do that.

WIederling

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:05 pm

"Here are his remarks in full."
ref: http://dailycaller.com/2017/11/06/cnn-s ... -in-japan/

Does Trump think in the same unhinged way that he talks?

That stuff can start wars!

windy95

Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:32 pm

The Russian investigation along with Mueller has jumped the tracks and heading for disaster. What a disaster for the Dems and a waste of tax payer dollars. Hillary the real Russian conspiracy...#MAGA

seb146

Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:08 pm

Right wing sites saying how they think CNN is fake.

wow.... just... wow...

bgm

Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:20 pm

I guess the right wing loonies prefer Breitbart/Fox News/Russia Today as more reliable sources of news? :rotfl:

NoTime
Topic Author

Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:24 pm

seb146 wrote:

wow.... just... wow...

I'm not sure why you would think Axios is a "right wing site," but are you saying their examples are wrong?

NIKV69

Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:25 pm

The night of the election when Trump and his family walked out signaled the ending of politics as we know it. I think this was a good thing but many are mentally unable to handle it. I for one don't think CNN is totally fake news but they have not done themselves any favors and have continued to try to make the world believe it was Russia's fault that Hillary didn't get the votes needed to win.
This of course is nonsense but makes the left feel better believing Trump will be removed from office and Hillary installed so all can be right with the world.

The DNC better rethink their position or it will be a long 7 more years.

Dutchy

Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:28 pm

NoTime wrote:
seb146 wrote:

wow.... just... wow...

I'm not sure why you would think Axios is a "right wing site," but are you saying their examples are wrong?

Interesting list of launch partners: https://www.axios.com/sp/about/#launch-partners

Koch --> Koch Brothers, I think it will not be left winged site ;-)

Dutchy

Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:31 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
The night of the election when Trump and his family walked out signaled the ending of politics as we know it. I think this was a good thing but many are mentally unable to handle it. I for one don't think CNN is totally fake news but they have not done themselves any favors and have continued to try to make the world believe it was Russia's fault that Hillary didn't get the votes needed to win.
This of course is nonsense but makes the left feel better believing Trump will be removed from office and Hillary installed so all can be right with the world.

The DNC better rethink their position or it will be a long 7 more years.

You seriously think Trump will be there for the 2020 race? Of do you think Pence 2020 will win?

Hillary Clinton is gone.

NoTime
Topic Author

Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:58 pm

Dutchy wrote:
NoTime wrote:
seb146 wrote:

wow.... just... wow...

Interesting list of launch partners: https://www.axios.com/sp/about/#launch-partners

Oh, you live in that world, huh? Do you also wear a tinfoil hat?

Would you like for me to collect similar stores from sources you consider reputable? (Huffington Post, no doubt?) Each of the instances mentioned have been apologized for (or at least recognized/corrected) by the offending groups. I'm sure you know this, of course.

ltbewr

Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:36 pm

Modern news media has number of issues that cause mistakes and problems. Reduced revenues has meant less quality work, less editing, less proofreading and less fact checking. There is that all of media wants the 'gotcha' or be first to get the attention and thus ratings for a breaking story. Yes, there are some biases in those that work for the news media of the full range from left to right, far less neutrality but also the massive corporate ownership that wants to push pro-corporate policies, lower corporate taxes, less regulation and the biases of key owners like Rupert Murdoch. The internet with many sites without any filters, no real qualifications as to who and how to report news, that false and incorrect stories can be put out instantly and challenged in nano-seconds also are factors. We also have a lot more people willing to speak out about bias, if someone is objecting to their world view. Much of news media is far behind the curve as to technology changes. Meanwhile credibility declines and fewer will watch news programs, becoming less knowledgeable of the world leading to believing massive lairs controlling our politics.

seb146

Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:14 pm

NoTime wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
NoTime wrote:

Oh, you live in that world, huh? Do you also wear a tinfoil hat?

Would you like for me to collect similar stores from sources you consider reputable? (Huffington Post, no doubt?) Each of the instances mentioned have been apologized for (or at least recognized/corrected) by the offending groups. I'm sure you know this, of course.

This post can not be serious. Koch Bros. are one of, if not THE, biggest right wing supporters in the United States.

And I would rather trust an outlet who says "we made a mistake and here is the correct account" than trust "but... but... CROOKED HILLARY!!!"

Do your homework, man. Do your homework.

Aesma

Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:19 pm

NoTime wrote:
(Huffington Post, no doubt?) Each of the instances mentioned have been apologized for (or at least recognized/corrected) by the offending groups. I'm sure you know this, of course.

Which makes them 10 times better than Fox and company. It's a proof of integrity. Of course, you must first understand that concept before choosing to apply it.

NIKV69

Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:46 am

Dutchy wrote:
You seriously think Trump will be there for the 2020 race? Of do you think Pence 2020 will win?

Hillary Clinton is gone.

It's hard to say whether Trump can win a second term at this point. The midterms will tell us a lot and Trump has to stop with the stupid tweets and get more done in congress. As for Pence I am not a fan. If Trump can't secure a second term I am going to go with Andrew Cuomo. Who this country badly needs.

stratosphere

Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:26 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Hillary Clinton is gone.

It's hard to say whether Trump can win a second term at this point. The midterms will tell us a lot and Trump has to stop with the stupid tweets and get more done in congress. As for Pence I am not a fan. If Trump can't secure a second term I am going to go with Andrew Cuomo. Who this country badly needs.

Last thing this country needs is any 'Cuomo" I vividly remember daddy Mario the apples don't fall far from the tree. Typical liberals.

NIKV69

Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:48 am

stratosphere wrote:

Last thing this country needs is any 'Cuomo" I vividly remember daddy Mario the apples don't fall far from the tree. Typical liberals.

Don't know many liberals that have tax free zones for businesses or raise the retirement age. Andrew is socially liberal and fiscally conservative it's where we should be. He is the next up and coming for the DNC for it isn't Warren or Harris. They can't be pulled any further left. They would lose worst than they did last year.

stl07

Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:44 am

So Fox News/Breitbart have never made a mistake, like when they were so sure Obama was an illegal Muslim immigrant who wire-tapped into Trump Tower. I even saw an "episode" of Fox in which viewers were being told that "God will send you to hell if you vote for Clinton." How has this nation gotten so divided? Why are we the first to blame the other side and their "shadow" techniques to get what they want? Everyone makes mistakes in order to promote what they agree with. I love the statements like "typical liberals" or "liars", for these are the people that ruin the country, not CNN, FOX or anyone else. The ones that take these mistakes and make them into an attack on the other side are.

DIRECTFLT

Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:21 am

bgm wrote:
I guess the right wing loonies prefer Breitbart/Fox News/Russia Today as more reliable sources of news? :rotfl:

Are you Kidding ??

If I could ONLY have one source of News, it would be Breitbart. :checkmark: :checkmark:

bgm

Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:20 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
bgm wrote:

Are you Kidding ??

If I could ONLY have one source of News, it would be Breitbart. :checkmark: :checkmark:

The final piece of the puzzle, makes perfect sense now.

Dutchy

Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:07 am

stl07 wrote:
So Fox News/Breitbart have never made a mistake, like when they were so sure Obama was an illegal Muslim immigrant who wire-tapped into Trump Tower. I even saw an "episode" of Fox in which viewers were being told that "God will send you to hell if you vote for Clinton." How has this nation gotten so divided? Why are we the first to blame the other side and their "shadow" techniques to get what they want? Everyone makes mistakes in order to promote what they agree with. I love the statements like "typical liberals" or "liars", for these are the people that ruin the country, not CNN, FOX or anyone else. The ones that take these mistakes and make them into an attack on the other side are.

Yes, everyone will make mistakes, it is the reaction to it that matters. Apparently, some were corrected by the news media who wrote it in the first place. So no problem there.

As for your second part, serious media will bring you the facts (could be supportive of your view of the world, or it couldn't) and then places it into context. First part: facts, no room for personal views, second part yes there is room for an opinion and that is ok.

Breightpart, Russia Today, Fox news (don't really know, I do not watch it, but from what I have seen, more opinion than fact, this was fun though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotatio ... pU0NxPhA78).

NoTime
Topic Author

Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:49 pm

Over the weekend, a Washington Post reporter shared a misleading photo suggesting that a Trump rally was half-empty. That was incorrect, of course, and was taken well before everyone was in the stadium. Trump called him out, and he apologized, but it's this slow trickle of anti-Trump stuff that has to be constantly retracted or apologized for or corrected that is doing much more damage to the media than it is to Trump.

If, as some say, these are all just honest mistakes, then why do they all show Trump in an unfavorable light? (all jokes aside) If it was just honest mistakes, then shouldn't at least a few of them cast Trump in a favorable light?

Additionally, things like the koi feeding in Japan - that doesn't happen by accident. The video was selectively edited.

This all leads credence to Trump's statement that the media is out to get him. (Which, I think everyone knew anyways... but why give him ammunition to feed his base?)

DIRECTFLT

Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:28 pm

bgm wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
bgm wrote:

Are you Kidding ??

makes perfect sense

Indeed it Does !!

dmg626

Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:04 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

Don't know many liberals that have tax free zones for businesses or raise the retirement age. Andrew is socially liberal and fiscally conservative it's where we should be. He is the next up and coming for the DNC for it isn't Warren or Harris. They can't be pulled any further left. They would lose worst than they did last year.

You obviously don’t have the privilege of living in Ny state

NIKV69

Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:23 pm

dmg626 wrote:

Actually I do.

dmg626

Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:47 am

NIKV69 wrote:
dmg626 wrote:

Actually I do.

Downstate?

seb146

Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:19 am

NoTime wrote:
Over the weekend, a Washington Post reporter shared a misleading photo suggesting that a Trump rally was half-empty. That was incorrect, of course, and was taken well before everyone was in the stadium. Trump called him out, and he apologized, but it's this slow trickle of anti-Trump stuff that has to be constantly retracted or apologized for or corrected that is doing much more damage to the media than it is to Trump.

If, as some say, these are all just honest mistakes, then why do they all show Trump in an unfavorable light? (all jokes aside) If it was just honest mistakes, then shouldn't at least a few of them cast Trump in a favorable light?

Additionally, things like the koi feeding in Japan - that doesn't happen by accident. The video was selectively edited.

This all leads credence to Trump's statement that the media is out to get him. (Which, I think everyone knew anyways... but why give him ammunition to feed his base?)

I am just curious: Where is the corrected picture? Where is a picture of DURING the rally? Just to compare.

tommy1808

Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:23 am

NoTime wrote:
Given these continued screw-ups, plus things like deliberately editing video and misconstruing transcripts to make Trump look foolish

I am trying to find equal outrage from you over Project Veritas to see if you are genuine of just making making another lame attempt at defending your rapist in chief....

I couldn´t find any, can you point me to one?

best rgards
Thomas

zkojq

Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:29 am

The saltiness here is hilarious.

bgm wrote:

The final piece of the puzzle, makes perfect sense now.

At this point he has to be trolling. It's probably a liberal running the account, trying to support the stereotype of Trump supporters being stupid and unable to think critically.

Dutchy

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:02 am

tommy1808 wrote:
NoTime wrote:
Given these continued screw-ups, plus things like deliberately editing video and misconstruing transcripts to make Trump look foolish

I am trying to find equal outrage from you over Project Veritas to see if you are genuine of just making making another lame attempt at defending your rapist in chief....

best rgards
Thomas

Or the outrage for the many blatant lies told bt president Trump on a daily basis. But there is no excuse for deliberate framing by the media, they need to present the facts and then give their opinion on these facts. And there is no need to, president Trump does inexcusable things on a daily basis, just present the facts, they are worse enough.

tommy1808

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:10 am

Dutchy wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
NoTime wrote:

best rgards
Thomas

Or the outrage for the many blatant lies told bt president Trump on a daily basis. But there is no excuse for deliberate framing by the media, they need to present the facts and then give their opinion on these facts. And there is no need to, president Trump does inexcusable things on a daily basis, just present the facts, they are worse enough.

Well, thanks to the WP we know that here is a quite organized effort to feed media plausible fake stories to later expose them as "fake news"...... so, it makes sense to assume that all wrong information they report wrongly has been fed to them including forged evidence or honest mistakes, as there truly is enough despicable stuff about him to tell....

best regards
Thomas

Dutchy

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:30 am

Sure, Thomas, but given those warning, I would, as a journalist, check a few times more before I believe such a story.

NIKV69

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:32 am

dmg626 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
dmg626 wrote:

Actually I do.

Downstate?

Yep Suffolk county.

tommy1808

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:55 am

Dutchy wrote:
Sure, Thomas, but given those warning, I would, as a journalist, check a few times more before I believe such a story.

Of course they do. But if the goal is to deliberately mislead a journalist, you can cook up all sorts of supporting evidence. You will never catch them all before printing...

best regards
Thomas

WIederling

Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:59 pm

Dutchy wrote:
I would, as a journalist, check a few times more before I believe such a story.

Journalists _make_ stories. Completely moot if they believe something or not.

casinterest

Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:11 pm

Brick wrote:
Here are the 7 times so far in 2017 that CNN has ran "fake news": http://dailycaller.com/2017/12/08/7-tim ... s-in-2017/

It bothers me that many people in the United States as well as outside of the United States still get their news from a single source: Fake CNN news. In order to be truly informed, you need to tapping into several different news sources....but since that requires effort, most people won't do that.

7 vs 1628?

I'll take CNN for the win Alex.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fac ... e97725cee7

Dutchy

Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:13 pm

WIederling wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

I don't understand what you are saying here.

NoTime
Topic Author

Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:46 pm

seb146 wrote:
NoTime wrote:

I am just curious: Where is the corrected picture? Where is a picture of DURING the rally? Just to compare.

Google and Twitter are your friend.

tommy1808 wrote:
NoTime wrote:

I'm not sure I understand the comparison, here. Project Veritas, for all their foolishness, appear to have been trying to highlight this very problem - that the media will run with anything that is anti-Trump, regardless of the facts. Kudos to the Washington Post for, at least that one time, sensing that something was amiss. It's a shame that other organizations appear to have not taken journalism 101.

Regardless, it still doesn't account for the deliberate misconstruing of transcripts and/or video, like we saw during the President's trip to Japan.

seb146

Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:07 pm

NoTime wrote:
seb146 wrote:
NoTime wrote:

In other words: you can't find any proof. You are the one making claims so you should post links, at least.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fo ... mg00000313

NoTime
Topic Author

Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:32 pm

seb146 wrote:
NoTime wrote:
seb146 wrote:

In other words: you can't find any proof. You are the one making claims so you should post links, at least.

lol... what are you even talking about? Are you that far ensconced in your bubble that you haven't seen the photo comparisons? Why should I spoon feed you when your response is just going to be dismissive? If you're interested, you'll find it... it's pretty easy... you just have to venture off of the liberal plantation for a few minutes.

Flighty

Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:10 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Modern news media has number of issues that cause mistakes and problems. Reduced revenues has meant less quality work, less editing, less proofreading and less fact checking. There is that all of media wants the 'gotcha' or be first to get the attention and thus ratings for a breaking story. Yes, there are some biases in those that work for the news media of the full range from left to right, far less neutrality but also the massive corporate ownership that wants to push pro-corporate policies, lower corporate taxes, less regulation and the biases of key owners like Rupert Murdoch. The internet with many sites without any filters, no real qualifications as to who and how to report news, that false and incorrect stories can be put out instantly and challenged in nano-seconds also are factors. We also have a lot more people willing to speak out about bias, if someone is objecting to their world view. Much of news media is far behind the curve as to technology changes. Meanwhile credibility declines and fewer will watch news programs, becoming less knowledgeable of the world leading to believing massive lairs controlling our politics.

Exactly. No matter what we may agree or disagree about, there is such a thing as professional and responsible journalism. It is NEVER perfect, much as medicine can never be perfect. Lawyering is subject to opinion too. But it can be professional.

Professional standards have fallen. Some articles today by all media outlets, including CNN, including the New York Times, are unprofessionally written. They use phrases that should never be used in journalism. Half of the "news" isn't news, it is rhetorical questions posed by editors as if it were news, or jury-rigged analysis by hand-picked "expert" friends of the editor or writer, etc. And that's sometimes legitimate, if it is done in the spirit of fairness. But people now totally disagree about what the spirit of fairness is. Is it, as a prominent journalist told me, "social justice?" Is it, as I believed, "truth?" Is it country and tradition? Is it tech worship, finance worship, celebrity worship? The purported grey area of journalism is no longer grey, it reeks of opinion.

I call it "conclusion-based journalism." First, you write your conclusion. Then, you start researching for facts and quotes to support the conclusory opinion that you started with. Around 11PM, you are done and you click Submit.

seb146

Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:29 pm

NoTime wrote:
seb146 wrote:
NoTime wrote:

lol... what are you even talking about? Are you that far ensconced in your bubble that you haven't seen the photo comparisons? Why should I spoon feed you when your response is just going to be dismissive? If you're interested, you'll find it... it's pretty easy... you just have to venture off of the liberal plantation for a few minutes.

You really want to go down this road? Fine. I did your job and found that, out of a 5000 seat arena, about 2500 seats had people in them at some point. The upper decks were closed off. They (tRump minions) wanted hair fuhrer to be pleased at the "large" crowd, but, as with everything tRump, his happiness is the top priority.

Not to mention PENSACOLA IS NOT IN ALABAMA!!! I say this because this tRump ego stroking was supposed to show support for pedophile Roy Moore.

tommy1808

Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:47 am

NoTime wrote:
seb146 wrote:
NoTime wrote:

Why should I spoon feed you when your response is just going to be dismissive? If you're interested, you'll find it... .

Well, there are forum rules and they clearly state that you have to provide sources for your claims. No one has to look for sources to back you up.

But you probably know that your "correct" Media is the one faking it and you don´t want anyone point that out to you, hence you provide no sources.

best regards
Thomas

WIederling

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:44 am

Dutchy wrote:
WIederling wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Journalism today is not about checking facts but about selling copy.
( That is not difficult, is it? )

Dutchy

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:17 pm

WIederling wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
WIederling wrote:

Journalism today is not about checking facts but about selling copy.
( That is not difficult, is it? )

Sure, or to put it in another way, the pressure is on to be first, so there is less and less time to check sources.

(well why don't you say that in the first place, that is not difficult to understand, what you said, is)