Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Kiwirob

Re: Russia banned from Winter Olympics 2018

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:26 am

Dutchy wrote:
anrec80 wrote:
Russia should also do more of what USA (and China mostly for this reason) does - be in organizations they either can control (NATO, our Olympic movement falls into this bucket), or in organizations they aren't constrained by (UN, WTO, Pacific regional ones really), where nothing is impacted by decisions made there. If you aren't treated equally and fairly - there is nothing wrong with not taking part in such events.

Russia isn't a superpower, so that would not work. I guess you say Russia should just stay away from organizations altogether.

There nuclear arsenal pretty much guarantee that they are despite what you would like to think.

Dutchy

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:38 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
anrec80 wrote:
Russia should also do more of what USA (and China mostly for this reason) does - be in organizations they either can control (NATO, our Olympic movement falls into this bucket), or in organizations they aren't constrained by (UN, WTO, Pacific regional ones really), where nothing is impacted by decisions made there. If you aren't treated equally and fairly - there is nothing wrong with not taking part in such events.

Russia isn't a superpower, so that would not work. I guess you say Russia should just stay away from organizations altogether.

There nuclear arsenal pretty much guarantee that they are despite what you would like to think.

And what are they going to do with those? Defensive weapons at its core.

Dutchy

Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:24 pm

Russia's Olympic membership restored by IOC after doping ban

- Ban lifted after no further negative drugs test in Pyeongchang
- Head of Russia’s Olympic Committee hails ‘important decision’

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... llegations

The optimist in me says: well done, welcome back in the womb of mother earth, keep it up Russia.

The skeptic in me says: how much money has been exchanged for this? Since both Russia and the IOC are corrupt to the bone.

I choose to be the optimist and hope that Russia indeed has relinquished the state-controlled doping system. Well see if Russia is going to prove if they are worth this kind of optimism.

ltbewr

Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:44 pm

I figure the ban was lifted as only 2 got caught in the recent games and the IOC knows that excluding one of the biggest participants in the Olympics is not good for business or competition. Also these games were not in Russia and I suspect much better drug testing systems, security and protocols were in place to make it more difficult to cheat with PED's. Still, in events with minimal issues with performance enhancing drugs Russia had medal winners - Gold and Silver in Woman's figure skating being the best known, and without them, the games would have denied some of the best performances.