Eyad89

Re: Trump about to further destabilize the Middle East?

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:35 pm

LTCM wrote:
This is the single greatest action by any president in the past 50+ years.

Because? And how would Americans benefit from that?

dfwjim1

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:05 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
US will move it's Embassy in Israel to Jerusalem.

Announcement: 1pm ET Wednesday

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-ex ... d=51600561

Why is it necessary for the United States to possibly move its Embassy to Jerusalem? Couldn't it just stay in Israel's largest city, Tel Aviv?

salttee

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:09 pm

Eyad89 wrote:
LTCM wrote:

LTCM's point of view doesn't include "America".

Jalap

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:32 pm

salttee wrote:
Eyad89 wrote:
LTCM wrote:

LTCM's point of view doesn't include "America".

Then how would anybody benefit from that? I find it easy to see how people will be harmed by this stupidity, but to see anybody actually benefit? No.

If a president makes a totally pointless and useless decision like this, knowing what the consequeses will be, then the only way to describe this president is "Pure Evil".

Jalap

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:37 pm

mercure1 wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
When is Netanyahu moving to Jeruselum?

His office is there already. So is Israel's president, its parliament, and most ministries.

US Congress and now Trump officially and openly accept the most obvious fact that Jerusalem is the Israeli capital.

Not sure if you're pointing out a personal opinion. But say somebody steals your car, then people see somebody else driving your car. Would you then say "indeed, it's an obvious fact this thief owns my car, I have no right to claim it back"?

Kiwirob

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:51 pm

seb146 wrote:
The right is all paranoid about "Muslim terrorists" what do they think will happen once their dear leader decides to declare Jerusalem the capital of Israel?

We should start taking bets on which will be the first US embassy to burn in the coming days, it’ll make Benghazi look like a storm in a tea cup.

DocLightning

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:55 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
I REALLY don't understand the Republican obsession with Israel.

1) Jews are white and familiar, Muslims are mostly non-white and alien.
2) In many extreme Christian sects, the Third Temple must be built (which would occupy the site of the Dome of the Rock) in order for Jesus to return. Those extreme Christian sects almost 100% vote Republican.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

salttee

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:15 pm

DocLightning wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

2) In many extreme Christian sects, the Third Temple must be built (which would occupy the site of the Dome of the Rock) in order for Jesus to return. Those extreme Christian sects almost 100% vote Republican.
The right is also smart enough to know which side of the bread has the butter.
This works both in the matter of donations and the delivery of votes re: Paul Findley, Chuck Percy, Pete McCloskey, Earl Hilliard, Cynthia McKenney and others.
And they are unethical enough to sell out their country for AIPAC votes.
Just look at how they've recently flocked to Russia's side as another example of that.

L410Turbolet

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:30 pm

The US has taken a step which will further alienate it from the vast majority of the Islamic world, as well as most of Europe.

Most of EUrope is either already de facto part of the so called Islamic world or very soon will be. Appeasement didn't work in the past, I doubt it will work in the future.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... han-double

the reason why 1 in 6 UN Members don´t recognize Israel at all

is the so called religion of peace. Expect nothing less to be proven in the upcoming days.

salttee

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:56 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
so called Islamic world
You're citing yourself, you're the only one using the term "so called Islamic world".

L410Turbolet wrote:
Appeasement didn't work in the past, I doubt it will work in the future.

Exactly when didn't appeasement work in the past? Do you really know the facts behind the cliche you're slinging?

Mortyman

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:32 pm

No country can alone change the status of Jerusalem, nor the United States

Ine Eriksen Søreide - Current Norwegian Minister of Foreign Affairs

Irresponsible by Donald Trump to acknowledges Jerusalem the capital of Israel. Two people have legitimate demands. Negotiations must be settled. Tragic for the Palestinians. Not good for Israel's security. The US is weakening politically.

Jonas Gahr Støre former Norwegian Minister of Foreign Affairs

moo

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:46 pm

DocLightning wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Israel is one of those weird exceptions (I can think of one other) to the US religion of "American Patriotism", in that you have to show overwhelming support to a foreign nation - in many many districts, US politicians have to show significant and unwavering support for Israel because there is a major Jewish American population in those districts, many of whom consider Israel to be their second nationality even if they are not in actuality dual citizens.

In 2014, there were nearly 30 Senators who held dual Israeli-US citizenship, and more than that in the House. Thats fairly significant...

If it were any other country, you would probably be required to register as a foreign agent...

DIRECTFLT

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:02 am

LTCM wrote:

Beats anything Clinton did.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

einsteinboricua

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:15 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
LTCM wrote:

Still anxious to see how the coal miner in Appalachia or the Rust Belt factory worker benefits from this.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

dtw2hyd

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:53 am

Trump does things just to stir the pot (or) to keep a non-promise promise. Why can't the world ignore for a couple of days to reverse the decision?

It is not that they were living in perfect harmony and he upset the system.

MaverickM11

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:06 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
LTCM wrote:

Still anxious to see how the coal miner in Appalachia or the Rust Belt factory worker benefits from this.

When they die from black lung at 39 with no health insurance and fired by their company because they can't work they can rest in peace knowing the embassy will soon be in the holy land
E pur si muove -Galileo

Aesma

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:17 am

How many religious crazies really care about this ? Was any of them likely to vote (D) ?

Let's not forget the white nationalists, KKK members, conspirationists, and other nice people who are also part of Trump's base, they might not like this, they're antisemitic and always talk about international bankers etc.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

MaverickM11

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:21 am

Aesma wrote:
Let's not forget the white nationalists, KKK members, conspirationists, and other nice people who are also part of Trump's base, they might not like this, they're antisemitic and always talk about international bankers etc.

They want Israel; they don't necessarily want Israel's inhabitants with it.
E pur si muove -Galileo

B0pp0

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:33 am

LTCM wrote:

This action will lead to the end of the US. What point or role does a demoralized US with a decreased standing have in this world? Why bother going on as a single nation?

When this nation is over, I hope that the blame is pit solely on Trump's feet and that Donald is as verboten of a name as Adolph.

salttee

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:36 am

Aesma wrote:
How many religious crazies really care about this ? Was any of them likely to vote (D) ?
If you want to bring yourself up to speed on this subject here's the book for you.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Israe ... ign_Policy

Without the AIPAC seal of approval and support, Jews would be very unlikely to support Donald Trump. But if supporting Trump will help Israel, they will do what they are asked to do.

Aesma wrote:
These jerks also hate anything to do with Muslims which includes Palestinians, so that's a wash. The Zionist POV is that these clowns are powerless and inept, so Trumps courting of the white nationalists and KKK members doesn't cost him any votes from the Israel lobby types.

Channex757

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:44 am

There are also ramifications for the somewhat strange movements in policy between Israel and Saudi Arabia.

The two implacable foes have actually been moving closer together recently, under the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" principle and the de facto Regent of Saudi Arabia. They share intelligence and have a direct, open channel between Governments. Their mutual loathing of Iran is the key factor.

This US action makes it a lot harder for the Saudis to keep that momentum going.

seb146

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:50 am

Kiwirob wrote:
seb146 wrote:
The right is all paranoid about "Muslim terrorists" what do they think will happen once their dear leader decides to declare Jerusalem the capital of Israel?

We should start taking bets on which will be the first US embassy to burn in the coming days, it’ll make Benghazi look like a storm in a tea cup.

I fear it will not be just embassies but attacks by radicals on American soil. Radicals will use this as a recruiting tool. But, not to worry, this will all somehow be Obama and Hillary's fault....
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter

salttee

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:59 am

Channex757 wrote:
There are also ramifications for the somewhat strange movements in policy between Israel and Saudi Arabia.

The two implacable foes have actually been moving closer together recently, under the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" principle and the de facto Regent of Saudi Arabia. They share intelligence and have a direct, open channel between Governments. Their mutual loathing of Iran is the key factor.

This US action makes it a lot harder for the Saudis to keep that momentum going.
The Trump administration has obviously promised SA that the US will assist them in becoming the sole power in the ME and it appears that the Saudis are stupid enough to believe that they won't be betrayed somewhere along the line. Of course Israel fits into the plan like hand and glove because their main goal currently is to generate a fratricidal war of Muslim on Muslim so that they can steal some more land.

This all harkens back to Sykes–Picot, when the Arab leaders were made promises that they would inherit the role as leaders of the Arab world by the British and the French if they would side with them in WW1. Of course the result of that was to set Arab against Arab with the westerners holding the balance of power and being in complete control.

Divide and conquer.

And they're falling for it again.

seb146 wrote:
I fear it will not be just embassies but attacks by radicals on American soil. Radicals will use this as a recruiting tool.

I believe that Trump is intentionally tweaking the Palestinian's nose, trying to generate an attack on the US or US property, so that he can ramrod more militant policies through Congress.

DIRECTFLT

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:10 am

B0pp0 wrote:
LTCM wrote:

This action will lead to the end of the US. What point or role does a demoralized US with a decreased standing have in this world? Why bother going on as a single nation?

When this nation is over, I hope that the blame is pit solely on Trump's feet and that Donald is as verboten of a name as Adolph.

I drink the same cool-aid as you, but on the other end of the spectrum. :lol:
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Ken777

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:44 am

DocLightning wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

:checkmark:

The other odd part is that Trump just handled it to Israel. No "dealing"

Remember how DeadBeat Donald used to verbally shread Obama for just giving away something without getting something in return. DeadBeat just tossed the most valuable deal point in our lives without getting anything in return. He will also be responsible for the deaths from Muslims protesting that ignorant decision.

Dumbest Deal Ever!

jetero

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:58 am

I detest Trump.

I think this is a good idea.

salttee

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:11 am

Ken777 wrote:

Remember how DeadBeat Donald used to verbally shread Obama for just giving away something without getting something in return. DeadBeat just tossed the most valuable deal point in our lives without getting anything in return. He will also be responsible for the deaths from Muslims protesting that ignorant decision.

Dumbest Deal Ever!
Very good point!

tommy1808

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:21 am

L410Turbolet wrote:
the reason why 1 in 6 UN Members don´t recognize Israel at all

is the so called religion of peace. Expect nothing less to be proven in the upcoming days.

i think in a thread regarding a country that exists via land grab only and flies the star of a genocidal, mass murdering, protection racketeering thief on its flag there is no better way to show that your statement is driven by nothing but hate.

best regards
Thomas
NIKV69 wrote:
The race is over. Moore has over 50% of the vote with just about half the votes in. Jones can't overcome that. McConnell has 10am meeting tomorrow so they can get this guy removed. At least the seat stays Republican. That is the important thing.
:D

tommy1808

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:35 am

Ken777 wrote:

Dumbest Deal Ever!

Not just nothing in return, it will cost the US a good deal of money.

best regards
Thomas
NIKV69 wrote:
The race is over. Moore has over 50% of the vote with just about half the votes in. Jones can't overcome that. McConnell has 10am meeting tomorrow so they can get this guy removed. At least the seat stays Republican. That is the important thing.

scbriml

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:36 am

seb146 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I fear it will not be just embassies but attacks by radicals on American soil. Radicals will use this as a recruiting tool. But, not to worry, this will all somehow be Obama and Hillary's fault....

Don't forget Clinton (x 2). :wink2:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Kiwirob

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:57 am

Mortyman wrote:
No country can alone change the status of Jerusalem, nor the United States

Ine Eriksen Søreide - Current Norwegian Minister of Foreign Affairs

Irresponsible by Donald Trump to acknowledges Jerusalem the capital of Israel. Two people have legitimate demands. Negotiations must be settled. Tragic for the Palestinians. Not good for Israel's security. The US is weakening politically.

Jonas Gahr Støre former Norwegian Minister of Foreign Affairs

That's about the most intelligent comment I've ever heard from Jonas.

Kiwirob

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:01 am

moo wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Israel is one of those weird exceptions (I can think of one other) to the US religion of "American Patriotism", in that you have to show overwhelming support to a foreign nation - in many many districts, US politicians have to show significant and unwavering support for Israel because there is a major Jewish American population in those districts, many of whom consider Israel to be their second nationality even if they are not in actuality dual citizens.

In 2014, there were nearly 30 Senators who held dual Israeli-US citizenship, and more than that in the House. Thats fairly significant...

If it were any other country, you would probably be required to register as a foreign agent...

In Australia they would be kicked out of Parliament, even if they had no idea they were dual nationals until someone informed them about it.

I even agree with it, dual nationals should not be allowed in parliament, there sole focus and attention should be on the country they represent.

seb146

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:38 am

Kiwirob wrote:
moo wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

In Australia they would be kicked out of Parliament, even if they had no idea they were dual nationals until someone informed them about it.

I even agree with it, dual nationals should not be allowed in parliament, there sole focus and attention should be on the country they represent.

So no Jews anywhere but Israel? That is a dangerous comment. People leave places for very specific reasons. Like they are tired of seeing their entire country flattened by bombs or they are tired of not having anything but dirt to eat or they are tired of family members being murdered for their religious beliefs or how they were born...

oh, wait...
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter

moo

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:26 am

seb146 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
moo wrote:

So no Jews anywhere but Israel? That is a dangerous comment. People leave places for very specific reasons. Like they are tired of seeing their entire country flattened by bombs or they are tired of not having anything but dirt to eat or they are tired of family members being murdered for their religious beliefs or how they were born...

oh, wait...

"Jew" isn't a nationality, it's a race - stop deliberately conflating the two and trying to inflame the discussion.

Having a significant proportion of your legislative body made up of a specific dual nationality should be an issue in most reasonable people's eyes, but this time it gets a wash because it's Israel, which is somehow special and being loyal to Israel as a foreign country oddly doesn't count as treason...

bennett123

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:52 am

Assuming a two state solution has not been dropped, where would be the capital of the Palestinian state.

Seems that Israel is planning to retain all of Jerusalem.

Problem with the One State solution is that I understand Palestinians have larger families and will ultimately outnumber the Jews in Israel.

MaverickM11

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:52 am

bennett123 wrote:
Assuming a two state solution has not been dropped, where would be the capital of the Palestinian state.

Seems that Israel is planning to retain all of Jerusalem.

Problem with the One State solution is that I understand Palestinians have larger families and will ultimately outnumber the Jews in Israel.

I don't think Palestinians are invited to any version of the solution right now.

Eyad89 wrote:
LTCM wrote:

We'd get to pay a ton of money to move and secure the embassy, and we'd get to face an enormous increase in hostility and outright violence. Trump basically gave it up easier than Melania at a Davos conference, with zero in return for the US. It's not America first; it's Israel First.
E pur si muove -Galileo

readytotaxi

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:25 am

The US should require any future Presidents to sit an exam on the meaning and benefits of world diplomacy before being allowed to take office.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

Kiwirob

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:33 am

moo wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

oh, wait...

"Jew" isn't a nationality, it's a race - stop deliberately conflating the two and trying to inflame the discussion.

Having a significant proportion of your legislative body made up of a specific dual nationality should be an issue in most reasonable people's eyes, but this time it gets a wash because it's Israel, which is somehow special and being loyal to Israel as a foreign country oddly doesn't count as treason...

Is Jewish even a race? I've met black jews from Somalia and ethnically Arab jews from the middles east along with lilly white European jews and then there's American jews like Doc, clearly they are all ethnically different.

tommy1808

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:52 am

bennett123 wrote:

unless you want to suggest segregation by religion that is going to happen in a two state solution just as much as a one state solution.

best regards
Thomas
NIKV69 wrote:

dtw2hyd

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:33 pm

Brits are experts in digging tunnels, correct? Why can't they build a deep underground tunnel connecting Westbank and Gaza? Deep enough they can cause no harm to Isreal and UN observers can monitor tunnel activity.

Palestine can be one state connected by a tunnel.

salttee

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:08 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Brits are experts in digging tunnels, correct? Why can't they build a deep underground tunnel connecting Westbank and Gaza? Deep enough they can cause no harm to Isreal and UN observers can monitor tunnel activity.

You don't get it. The Israelis won't be happy until they drive the Palestinians into the sea.

They don't want peace - peace means no more expansion.

einsteinboricua

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:23 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:

Ten bucks that tunnel will someday be sealed out of security concerns because of reasons.

Because the holy land is not just the surface but ALL the earth underneath as well. Or "we can't have Muslim extremists underneath Israel homes".
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

moo

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:28 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
moo wrote:
seb146 wrote:

oh, wait...

Is Jewish even a race? I've met black jews from Somalia and ethnically Arab jews from the middles east along with lilly white European jews and then there's American jews like Doc, clearly they are all ethnically different.

Yes, Jewish is a race, and a religion separately - people of the Jewish race have distinct traits that can be passed down to their children and be identified by genetic heritage, but do not necessarily have to be religiously Jewish. People can convert to Judaism and become a Jew without being ethnically Jewish.

Yup, it's a bit confusing.

LMP737

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:40 pm

LTCM wrote:

You set the bar real low.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

skyservice_330

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:24 pm

In between golf games and trekking down to Mar-a-Largo I am surprised he had time in his busy schedule to make this decision.

Building a new embassy? Well, if it is like any of Donny's other real estate transactions I am sure it will end in some sort of court case or bankruptcy. Do the Israeli's get to pick the color of the TRUMP sign on the front of the new building? Gotta keep Donny's ego inflated!

Dutchy

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:04 pm

Congrats Trump: 31 people were injured.

In Turkey, Egypt, Jordan and Pakistan, with thousands of people gathering outside of U.S. embassies or consulates. So much winning for the US standing in the world...............

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/is ... ce030070e3
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

dtw2hyd

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:16 pm

salttee wrote:
You don't get it. The Israelis won't be happy until they drive the Palestinians into the sea.

They don't want peace - peace means no more expansion.

So it is a real estate issue. Poor cannot own beachfront property

einsteinboricua wrote:
Ten bucks that tunnel will someday be sealed out of security concerns because of reasons.

Most of the tunnel would be under Israeli farmland. Israel can pick a reasonable depth to make it safe. It wouldn't be a safety risk if UN and even Israel/Palestine joint team monitoring the tunnel.

Trump may have recognized Jerusalem as Israeli capital but he will not spend our money to fight their fight. Netanyahu should know that.

BobPatterson

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:41 pm

Dutchy wrote:

In Turkey, Egypt, Jordan and Pakistan, with thousands of people gathering outside of U.S. embassies or consulates. So much winning for the US standing in the world...............

Congrats Dutchy:

"Palestinian leaders called for three days of rage after Trump’s announcement Wednesday. The president’s decision was harshly criticized by Arab and European leaders, who said it risked sparking violence and would make peace more elusive."

Your friends are fine people. Blame Mr. Trump.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

Dutchy

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:58 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Congrats Dutchy:

"Palestinian leaders called for three days of rage after Trump’s announcement Wednesday. The president’s decision was harshly criticized by Arab and European leaders, who said it risked sparking violence and would make peace more elusive."

*sigh*
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Mortyman

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:51 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Congrats Dutchy:

One can understand that the Palestinians are frustrated and act the way they do after so many years of occupation. What is President Trumps excuse for doing what he did ? There is nothing positive for the US in doing this, nothing positive for the Israelis, nothing positive for the region and nothing positive for the Palestinians. Purely and egoistic and irresponsible act by President Trump and the US government. .