Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

precure787
Topic Author

Lexus RX becomes a 7-seater

Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:36 am

Lexus' best selling SUV, the RX, now comes with stretched variant with 3rd row seats (modeled as RX L). It will also include the optional F-sport, AWD, and Hybrid variant.
With the RX L, will Lexus send their gas-guzzling GX460 to the chop shop?

jetwet1

Re: Lexus RX becomes a 7-seater

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:57 am

I don't think so, the GX is really a couple of sizes up for the RX, what it may hurt sale of is the Highlander.

The wife is trying to decide what her new car will be, it's pretty much down to an RX or a Merc ML350, I was amazed at how nice the Lexus was compared to the Merc, though the Lexus was a little bit noisy inside.

Olddog

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:04 am

A friend own a 40 RH (?). While it is a nice SUV, I was disappointed by le lack of inside space.

EA CO AS

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:17 pm

precure787 wrote:
Lexus' best selling SUV, the RX, now comes with stretched variant with 3rd row seats (modeled as RX L). It will also include the optional F-sport, AWD, and Hybrid variant.
With the RX L, will Lexus send their gas-guzzling GX460 to the chop shop?

They'd better not! I love my 2007 GX470 and will be replacing it with a new GX460 when the time comes to upgrade.

EA CO AS

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:18 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
I don't think so, the GX is really a couple of sizes up for the RX, what it may hurt sale of is the Highlander.

The wife is trying to decide what her new car will be, it's pretty much down to an RX or a Merc ML350, I was amazed at how nice the Lexus was compared to the Merc, though the Lexus was a little bit noisy inside.

The new RX is really nice, and while I really like the ML and GL, it's hard to argue with the reliability of Lexus, even though they nickel and dime you on routine maintenance, unlike Mercedes.

LockheedBBD

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:22 pm

The old (2003-2014) RX used to be the defacto "soccer mom car" around my hometown. After the redesign in 2015, I've seen maybe one Lexus RX on the road. The polarizing design has caused everyone to shift to Acura/BMW/Mercedes/Audi.

Flighty

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:38 am

my coworker bought a GX. Seems kind of expensive to me, but they are cool cars.

The Lexus RX defined the crossover segment 20 years ago and really defined the Lexus brand as it is today, after the LS400 became irrelevant. I think this was because of the RX300's ingenious styling in 1998. It wasn't a truck, it was just a.... Lexus. A thing for rich moms to have. I can remember how striking it was in parking lots. It just made people want to buy it.

Getting a signature car right like that is worth billions and billions of dollars.

EA CO AS

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:00 am

LockheedBBD wrote:
The old (2003-2014) RX used to be the defacto "soccer mom car" around my hometown. After the redesign in 2015, I've seen maybe one Lexus RX on the road. The polarizing design has caused everyone to shift to Acura/BMW/Mercedes/Audi.

The de-facto "soccer mom car" here in Scottsdale is the Cadillac Escalade; they're everywhere.

af773atmsp

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:54 am

I assume third row seats in SUVs are intended for children because I've tried to squeeze into plenty of third row seats and I'm packed in like a sardine. I'd rather get a minivan because an adult can usually fit in the third row (there may be exceptions, I'm basing off the Dodge/Chrysler minivans). I also couldn't care less about style and being part of the trend that is SUVs and CUVs.

wingman

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:34 am

IMO the RX is the Pontiac Aztec of cross-over SUVs, the polar opposite extreme in styling from the Volvo XC90. It looks like it's designed by a video game addict on crack. To me the XC90, GMC Yukon and MB GLS series are the design leaders in the space. Once the GLS gets the E and S-class interior with that bonkers cockpit it'll cement itself as the class leader. Crazy as it sounds even Hyundai has better styling than Lexus these days. I have a feeling Toyota faked the marketing data on their spindle grill because that design theme is brutal. All I can think of is a whale sucking on plankton.

Channex757

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:42 am

Have any of you lot seen that new 2018 Lincoln Navigator?

Wow. Now that's a huge leap again for the Ford-owned brand. European premium quality interior but retains that American gloss finish that lets you know it's a Lincoln. If I lived Stateside and had the cash, I'd be all over that.

precure787
Topic Author

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:09 am

LockheedBBD wrote:

Not exactly. Minivans are actually soccer mom vehicles, mainly taking kids to and from school, both academic and extracurricular. Because of the soccer mom stigma associated with minivans, many families has switched to SUVs and crossovers, of which the Lexus RX is one of them. Even my family replaced a minivan Mercury Villager (a knockoff of a Nissan Quest) with a truck-based Toyota 4Runner , and now replaced with a Mercedes Benz Gelandewagen Luxus models (GLK, GLE).

jovelson

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:28 am

I don't think so, though I prefer compact SUV's.