Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

stratosphere
Topic Author

Bee Gees one night only

Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:13 am

Ok a break from politics for a minute. My neighbor had the CD Bee Gees one night only on. I have been a Bee Gees fan I grew up on their music but never saw this CD. It was filmed at the MGM grand in Las Vegas in 1997 figuring that this would be their last concert together since Barry Gibb had such bad arthritis. I watched their performance I know it was probably special made as well as the audience they were all dressed to the hilt. I have to say that concert was awesome I wish I could have seen them live. Such incredible talent so sad that Barry is the only survivor. I know not everyone loved their music but I just think they were such a class act. My neighbor was the biggest surprise Iv'e only seen him listen to country music.

VapourTrails

Re: Bee Gees one night only

Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:23 am

I have the DVD of the same. :thumbsup: It is very special, as were Barry’s performances at the Glastonbury Festival this year, courtesy of YouTube for moi. :profile: The song/s he performed with his son were great as was a favourite, the song Stayin’ Alive. :hyper:

WarRI1

Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:31 am

VapourTrails wrote:
I have the DVD of the same. :thumbsup: It is very special, as were Barry’s performances at the Glastonbury Festival this year, courtesy of YouTube for moi. :profile: The song/s he performed with his son were great as was a favourite, the song Stayin’ Alive. :hyper:

Staying alive, my favorite song by them.

TheFlyingDisk

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:44 pm

I remembered watching the concert video when I was 12. Every time I rewatch it I get transported back to the 90s when things were much simpler back then.

johns624

Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:50 pm

The pre-disco Bee Gees were many times better, I Started A Joke, Holiday, I Can't See Nobody, I Gotta Get A Message To You and Words are all better songs.

grozzy

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:41 pm

I attended their Sydney concert in March 1999. The first event for the Olympic stadium.
At that stage of my life I wouldn't have been able to name many of their songs but all those songs were familiar to me. A testament to their writing abilities.

Flighty

Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:52 pm

Yeah I sort of got interested in the Bee Gees a couple years ago because of a podcast called great stories in music. The song To Love Somebody reached an intimidating height, showing young Barry Gibb had a great talent. The bizarre Robin Gibb wrote some very memorable songs, himself a cracked genius. He wrote like ten great songs - ten more than most pop stars. Barry wrote dozens. Maurice co-wrote a lot of it too. I thought the BGs were just cheesy disco men. Popular in the post-baby boomer era in Asia and very briefly popular in the US. And that's true. But, they were more than that. I think I have Spirits Having Flown on vinyl - honestly it's a horrible record IMO, but they were talented.

Ken777

Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:41 pm

Stayin’ Alive has a special place as it is the tempo for compressing the heart in CPR. Think about it second and the song naturally comes to mind.