johns624

Re: Kate Steinle shooting: illegal immigrant acquitted

Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:37 pm

seb146 wrote:
I see a lot of people very angry over an accident.
An accident? It was illegal for him to have the gun (any gun). The gun was stolen. Guns just don't go off by themselves. The trigger has to be pulled. He may have not intended to shoot her, but he was acting in a reckless manner. I compare it to someone without a drivers license, driving a stolen car, speeding down a residential street at 80 mph and then when a little kid runs out in the street and gets run over, claiming he didn't mean to kill anyone.

NIKV69

Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:54 pm

salttee wrote:

the point I was making is that NIKV69 is completely backwards in his claim that California is soft on crime. California is currently holding a prison population of 218,800; they are not soft on crime at all.

What does that number mean? CA is the biggest state in the union of course they will have a number like that. Doesn't mean they are tough on crime.

Airstud wrote:

In consideration of the fact that I lived in San Francisco for thirteen years, and sat on two juries during that time, I have to ask what compels you to say, with regard to the question of whether I've sat on a jury in San Francisco, that I "haven't."

Doc usually doesn't take these things into consideration when making his comments don't take it personally. It's basic bomb throwing, nothing more.

johns624 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
An accident? It was illegal for him to have the gun (any gun). The gun was stolen. Guns just don't go off by themselves. The trigger has to be pulled. He may have not intended to shoot her, but he was acting in a reckless manner. I compare it to someone without a drivers license, driving a stolen car, speeding down a residential street at 80 mph and then when a little kid runs out in the street and gets run over, claiming he didn't mean to kill anyone.

Did we miss the part of how he kept sneaking into the country illegally after he was deported? Of course in CA they don't worry about those things. It's lunacy.
SPOILER ALERT! Hillary Won!

Aesma

Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:13 pm

There are 69 375 prisoners for a population of 67 millions in my country, so more than 200 000 prisoners for 40 millions inhabitants doesn't seem soft on crime. Some european countries have even better looking ratios.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

WIederling

Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:25 pm

johns624 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Now take away the "illegal immigrant" property and
everybody would be too tooo ting the parents
that this could happen anywhere. nothing to do with guns. just an accident.
Murphy is an optimist

seb146

Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:48 am

johns624 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Ah, but, see... the difference is we can not regulate guns at all period. And, as the gun nuts keep pointing out, comparing driving to guns is apples to oranges. Two year olds do not intend to murder their siblings, they were just acting in a reckless manner.

I still don't see why this is so much worse than Trayvon Martin's murder. George Zimmerman was not supposed to have a gun, either. The biggest difference is, in the Steinle murder, he did not act with malice and forethought. He at least had the good sense to point the gun down.
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter

seb146

Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:53 am

NIKV69 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Did we miss the part of how he kept sneaking into the country illegally after he was deported? Of course in CA they don't worry about those things. It's lunacy.

Nik, since you claim to be the expert on "liberal" San Francisco, you obviously know that ONLY San Francisco is responsible for immigration and the southern border, right? Obviously, as you know, they called down to the border and said "Of course you can let that upstanding citizen in!" right?

It could not be any of this:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/house-re ... d=12965031
https://www.politico.com/story/2014/07/ ... cut-109490
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/1 ... nforcement

Nope. It is only them "librulz" in San Francisco....

johns624

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:46 am

seb146 wrote:
Ah, but, see... the difference is we can not regulate guns at all period. And, as the gun nuts keep pointing out, comparing driving to guns is apples to oranges. Two year olds do not intend to murder their siblings, they were just acting in a reckless manner.

I still don't see why this is so much worse than Trayvon Martin's murder. George Zimmerman was not supposed to have a gun, either. The biggest difference is, in the Steinle murder, he did not act with malice and forethought. He at least had the good sense to point the gun down.
But guns are regulated. Convicted felons aren't allowed to own them. I disagreed with the Zimmerman verdict but why wasn't he supposed to have a gun? Where the gun was pointed was irrelevant. He wasn't supposed to be in possession of it in the first place.

MaverickM11

Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:42 am

This seems like a pretty solid summary of what went wrong/right depending on who you ask. The administration clearly wanted to make this case an example to frighten voters who've never seen an immigrant, and it turned out the case was not clean cut.

"So was Steinle’s killing an accident? Maybe. The defense put forward a plausible explanation that it was, and that was enough for the jury to find reasonable doubt after six days of deliberation, and that’s enough for a not guilty verdict.

What’s not an accident: the many political figures and media personalities who have distorted this case for various reasons. These misrepresentations are a disservice to our justice system, and to Kate Steinle’s family as well."

https://www.redstate.com/sarah-rumpf/20 ... inle-case/
E pur si muove -Galileo

tommy1808

Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:52 am

johns624 wrote:
He wasn't supposed to be in possession of it in the first place.

he wasn´t acquitted of having an illegal gun iirc, an no matter what you do to another person illegally, where the "tools" you used are legal or not should be irrelevant, in fact has to be irrelevant, because otherwise he´d be convicted for the same crime twice.

best regards
Thomas
NIKV69 wrote:
The race is over. Moore has over 50% of the vote with just about half the votes in. Jones can't overcome that. McConnell has 10am meeting tomorrow so they can get this guy removed. At least the seat stays Republican. That is the important thing.
:D

stratosphere

Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:26 pm

seb146 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Well for one Trayvon Martin was giving a beat down to Zimmerman hence the self defense argument while Steinle was hanging out with her dad on the pier enjoying the day and a man who had been deported multiple times was in this country AGAIN thanks to San Francisco and their liberal insanity and had a stolen gun from a BLM agent. Now whether he stole the gun from the BLM guys car remains to be proven. My understanding was the BLM guys car was unlocked as well so he bears some blame in all this as well.

casinterest

Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:39 pm

stratosphere wrote:

Well for one Trayvon Martin was giving a beat down to Zimmerman hence the self defense argument while Steinle was hanging out with her dad on the pier enjoying the day and a man who had been deported multiple times was in this country AGAIN thanks to San Francisco and their liberal insanity and had a stolen gun from a BLM agent. Now whether he stole the gun from the BLM guys car remains to be proven. My understanding was the BLM guys car was unlocked as well so he bears some blame in all this as well.

Go read about the case and come back to us. it seems you haven't actually read or heard what happened in the trial at all. All of these items were addressed at the trial.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

seb146

Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:51 pm

stratosphere wrote:
seb146 wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Trayvon was walking through an apartment complex. He did not seek out Zimmerman to beat him down. Zimmerman saw someone he thought was suspicious. Trayvon was the victim. He had no idea why he was being chased or beaten or shot. Wouldn't you fight back?

What does the "sanctuary city" law have to do with border security? How does San Francisco and other "sanctuary cities" dictate laws and rules for border security and how many border guards work the southern border?

seb146

Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:57 pm

johns624 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

But guns are regulated. Convicted felons aren't allowed to own them. I disagreed with the Zimmerman verdict but why wasn't he supposed to have a gun? Where the gun was pointed was irrelevant. He wasn't supposed to be in possession of it in the first place.

According to the terms of his neighborhood watch agreement, he was not supposed to have a gun on him. The 911 operator even told him to stop following Trayvon.

Here is another problem with gun nuts: they don't care about guns just laying around. How many people have been murdered because a gun was just laying around?

johns624

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:57 am

seb146 wrote:
According to the terms of his neighborhood watch agreement, he was not supposed to have a gun on him. The 911 operator even told him to stop following Trayvon.

Here is another problem with gun nuts: they don't care about guns just laying around. How many people have been murdered because a gun was just laying around?

1. A neighborhood watch rule and a federal law are two entirely different things.
2. Nice deflection but it has nothing to do with this thread.

stratosphere

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:54 am

seb146 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Trayvon was walking through an apartment complex. He did not seek out Zimmerman to beat him down. Zimmerman saw someone he thought was suspicious. Trayvon was the victim. He had no idea why he was being chased or beaten or shot. Wouldn't you fight back?

What does the "sanctuary city" law have to do with border security? How does San Francisco and other "sanctuary cities" dictate laws and rules for border security and how many border guards work the southern border?

What does a "sanctuary city" have to do with border security are you really serious? How bout people maybe would not come here if there was not an incentive? I have the perfect answer for illegal immigration fine the hell out of anyone who employs illegals and who doesn't use E verify like Trump has said they will self deport. You F'ng liberals drive me insane. I understand the politicians they want the vote and that's all they care about. You hate guns but no one has said anything about the illegal who killed Kate Steinle with a stolen gun from a BLM agent.

seb146

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:08 am

stratosphere wrote:
seb146 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

What does a "sanctuary city" have to do with border security are you really serious? How bout people maybe would not come here if there was not an incentive? I have the perfect answer for illegal immigration fine the hell out of anyone who employs illegals and who doesn't use E verify like Trump has said they will self deport. You F'ng liberals drive me insane. I understand the politicians they want the vote and that's all they care about. You hate guns but no one has said anything about the illegal who killed Kate Steinle with a stolen gun from a BLM agent.

No one knows how the BLM gun got there.

"Liberals" want E-Verify to be strengthened but you righties say it does not work because Obama or something.

I have been asking since this verdict was handed down what "sanctuary city" has to do with anything but none of you righties have answered.

The "incentive" to come here is making $5 an hour here as opposed to whatever the employer feels like giving in their home country. Let's not forget that there are illegals from Kahzakstan and China and Australia and Japan in the United States as well. But, as long as we can hate Mexicans, everything is fine, right?

seb146

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:12 am

johns624 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

1. A neighborhood watch rule and a federal law are two entirely different things.
2. Nice deflection but it has nothing to do with this thread.

1. I agree. Neighborhood Watch with the Trayvon murder is very different. There were actual rules in place that said Zimmerman could not carry a gun.
2. Finding a random gun has something to do with this case. If you find a gun just sitting and you are a felon with nothing to lose, what are you going to do? If you find a gun just sitting and you are an average citizen, what are you going to do?

johns624

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:49 pm

seb146 wrote:
1. I agree. Neighborhood Watch with the Trayvon murder is very different. There were actual rules in place that said Zimmerman could not carry a gun.
2. Finding a random gun has something to do with this case. If you find a gun just sitting and you are a felon with nothing to lose, what are you going to do? If you find a gun just sitting and you are an average citizen, what are you going to do?
So Neighborhood Watch rules trump federal and state felonies? Gotcha! I doubt if he just "found" the gun. That only happens in the movies.

WIederling

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:03 pm

seb146 wrote:
No one knows how the BLM gun got there.

With all the armed law enforcement subdivisons of some authority or other
I am really surprised that there seem to be few "blue on blue" shootings happening.
( Or are they kept out of the public eye with care?)
Murphy is an optimist

seb146

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:19 pm

johns624 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
So Neighborhood Watch rules trump federal and state felonies? Gotcha! I doubt if he just "found" the gun. That only happens in the movies.

I never said Neighborhood Watch rules trump federal and state laws. I said NW had rules against him carrying a gun. Rules are not laws. In this case the rule not being law caused a teen to be murdered for no good reason.

And, yes, people find things all the time they were not meant to find. Hypodermic needles, corpses, wallets, guns...

Since you seem to know, why didn't you go to the police with the information about how the gun got there?

johns624

Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:09 pm

seb146 wrote:

Since you seem to know, why didn't you go to the police with the information about how the gun got there?
It doesn't matter how it got there. It was illegal for him to be in possession of it.

casinterest

Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:09 pm

johns624 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
It doesn't matter how it got there. It was illegal for him to be in possession of it.

Yes it does. It is evidence of intent, and the Prosecution couldn't prove how it got there.
I still don't get how manslaughter was not passed down, but either way, the Prosecutor blew this case, and don't be surprised when the Feds don't take it up, or the Feds take it up and drop it.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

MaverickM11

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:57 pm

casinterest wrote:
johns624 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Yes it does. It is evidence of intent, and the Prosecution couldn't prove how it got there.
I still don't get how manslaughter was not passed down, but either way, the Prosecutor blew this case, and don't be surprised when the Feds don't take it up, or the Feds take it up and drop it.

:checkmark: the feds wanted an example for their immigrants R evYl crusade, and they picked a bad one. ...which is a little surprising since there are clear, slam-dunk cases out there
E pur si muove -Galileo

seb146

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:11 am

casinterest wrote:
johns624 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

We all agree that the gun was in his hand when it went off. He did not point it at Kate. He did not seek out anyone to murder. It was not even established that he knew the gun was there.

There are plenty of cases where people find a gun at a friend's house or under a car seat or just laying around and the gun goes off and hurts or kills someone. They have precedent for the verdict.

That is was here illegally is irrelevant. Anyone could have found that gun and anyone could have pulled that trigger. Immigration status had nothing to do with anything.

MaverickM11

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:16 am

seb146 wrote:
There are plenty of cases where people find a gun at a friend's house or under a car seat or just laying around and the gun goes off and hurts or kills someone. They have precedent for the verdict.

:checkmark: About 1-150 minors per year are killed accidentally by guns alone
E pur si muove -Galileo

johns624

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:27 pm

seb146 wrote:
It was not even established that he knew the gun was there.

He didn't know the gun was in his hand? Also, guns just don't "go off" by themselves. Please educate yourself on the subject.

wingman

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:40 pm

Here's an interesting piece from one of the alternate jurors. Based on his profession I would characterize him as a fact-driven individual prone to interpret evidence in a logical manner. Justice is a definitely not easy and this young woman will likely get none, but the jury clearly went through their deliberations in a very methodical manner.
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... tch-216016

seb146

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:35 pm

johns624 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
It was not even established that he knew the gun was there.

He didn't know the gun was in his hand? Also, guns just don't "go off" by themselves. Please educate yourself on the subject.

way to stretch my post, man. Go back and read what I wrote about things like hypodermic needles and finding a car with keys in it. A person may not know how to drive or what had been in the needle before.

Go read about how many people maim or kill someone because "I didn't know the gun was loaded" or "I didn't think the gun would go off" or "I thought the safety was on" or some similar BS response. Please educate yourself on the subject.

Besides, the point of the trial was: did he intend to murder her or was it a random accident? Her attorneys probably found it impossible to prove he set out to murder her and that is was simply a terrible and tragic accident.

NIKV69

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:41 pm

seb146 wrote:
Nik, since you claim to be the expert on "liberal" San Francisco, you obviously know that ONLY San Francisco is responsible for immigration and the southern border, right? Obviously, as you know, they called down to the border and said "Of course you can let that upstanding citizen in!" right?

Of course they are not responsible for the southern border but they are responsible for enforcing immigration laws in their own city. Maybe if they did that instead of harboring illegals we wouldn't have these problems.
SPOILER ALERT! Hillary Won!

seb146

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:44 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Of course they are not responsible for the southern border but they are responsible for enforcing immigration laws in their own city. Maybe if they did that instead of harboring illegals we wouldn't have these problems.

Maybe you should educate yourself on "sanctuary cities" before commenting on them. GIYF

johns624

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:41 pm

wingman wrote:
Here's an interesting piece from one of the alternate jurors. Based on his profession I would characterize him as a fact-driven individual prone to interpret evidence in a logical manner. Justice is a definitely not easy and this young woman will likely get none, but the jury clearly went through their deliberations in a very methodical manner.
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... tch-216016

I'm surprised that the assumption that the P239 has a light trigger wasn't refuted and the jury wasn't allowed to check it, like they requested.

wingman

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:50 pm

I don't know anything about guns but reading that piece it sounds like the prosecution made critical errors from start to finish. It's impossible to understand an outcome you don't agree with when your opinion is formed by ongoing press reports/editorials and social media posting. People forget these juries live in a strict bubble and are carefully vetted to make sure they have no ingrained bias one way or the other. They might be influenced by intentional antics in the courtroom that are stricken by the judge, but they will go by the transcript.

The best example I can give to support the above is watching that crazy OJ documentary from ESPN. I'll never forget that trial as long as I live but my opinions during it and my reaction to the verdict were formed by my exposure to the coverage of it (and no question my inherent racial biases). However, watching that documentary reminded me just how badly the prosecution botched its work from beginning to end. This is the story here, not one that SF is nothing but a liberal pro-murder, pro immigrant, anti white person metropolis. That's a just a pathetic crutch for seriously stupid and ignorant people.

salttee

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:22 pm

We shouldn't forget that the prosecution also lives in a bubble. IMO these prosecutors were so certain that this was the guy who stole the gun in the first place (not without good reason) that they couldn't imagine a jury seeing it any other way.