Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Regional popularity of Spring vs. Fall fashion collections

Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:01 am

I was wondering, does the popularity of Spring vs. Fall fashion collections vary by region? I wonder if climate plays a factor. Am I correct to assume that in warmer climates, Spring collections generally outsell Fall collections, while the opposite is true in colder climates?

For IZOD, our local JCPenney stores didn't even carry some of the Fall 2017 products for colder weather; mostly this year they only had the fall-colored polo shirts and button down shirts. And now with IZOD releasing the Spring 2018 collection, the local JCPenney stores are beginning to stock up on those products. The only store that carried the cold weather Fall 2017 products locally this year was Kohl's.

einsteinboricua

Re: Regional popularity of Spring vs. Fall fashion collections

Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:43 am

seb146

Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:34 am

It is a legitimate question.

I live near San Francisco and there are a lot of clothing stores that sell heavy jackets and gloves and scarves and so forth this time of year. It never gets very cold here. I have not seen snow in the six years I have lived here, except for the times we went to Reno. That is really the only reason they sell those things here. People mostly wear shorts and shirts. Although I do see the random hipster wearing a hoodie with skinny jeans and boots when it is 100, so there is that.

But, also, retailers want to be one season ahead, when it comes to fashion. When they put the "spring and summer" collections out, they can charge full price and consumers will say "OMG!!! I would TOTALLY wear that to the beach!!!" or "OMG!!! I would TOTALLY wear that to the Stevenson's barbecue they have every Memorial Day!!!" or whatever and people will buy it at full price because OMG isn't this totally fun shopping for summer things during the Holiday Season?

Conversely, when they put the "fall and winter" collections out in June, they can charge full price and consumers will say "OMG!!! I would TOTALLY wear that at the lodge!!!" or "OMG!!! I would TOTALLY wear that to Janet's Jingle Ball Soiree she has every Solstice!!!" or whatever and people will buy it at full price because OMG isn't this totally fun shopping for winter things in stifling heat?

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:28 am

seb146 wrote:

I live near San Francisco and there are a lot of clothing stores that sell heavy jackets and gloves and scarves and so forth this time of year. It never gets very cold here. I have not seen snow in the six years I have lived here, except for the times we went to Reno. That is really the only reason they sell those things here. People mostly wear shorts and shirts. Although I do see the random hipster wearing a hoodie with skinny jeans and boots when it is 100, so there is that.

But, also, retailers want to be one season ahead, when it comes to fashion. When they put the "spring and summer" collections out, they can charge full price and consumers will say "OMG!!! I would TOTALLY wear that to the beach!!!" or "OMG!!! I would TOTALLY wear that to the Stevenson's barbecue they have every Memorial Day!!!" or whatever and people will buy it at full price because OMG isn't this totally fun shopping for summer things during the Holiday Season?

Conversely, when they put the "fall and winter" collections out in June, they can charge full price and consumers will say "OMG!!! I would TOTALLY wear that at the lodge!!!" or "OMG!!! I would TOTALLY wear that to Janet's Jingle Ball Soiree she has every Solstice!!!" or whatever and people will buy it at full price because OMG isn't this totally fun shopping for winter things in stifling heat?

Note that with higher end women's lines, there are often two additional seasons - Pre-Fall and Resort/Cruise (the latter bridging Fall and Spring late in the year). Pre-Fall is essentially warmer weather clothes in fall colors. Resort/Cruise is for going on holiday vacations to warm weather locales.

For my signature brand IZOD, they have three seasons - Spring, Fall, and Holiday, the latter being the Christmas-themed clothing. Holiday 2017 was actually first released last month, while the first of Spring 2018 was released this past week.

seb146

Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:48 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Note that with higher end women's lines, there are often two additional seasons - Pre-Fall and Resort/Cruise (the latter bridging Fall and Spring late in the year). Pre-Fall is essentially warmer weather clothes in fall colors. Resort/Cruise is for going on holiday vacations to warm weather locales.

For my signature brand IZOD, they have three seasons - Spring, Fall, and Holiday, the latter being the Christmas-themed clothing. Holiday 2017 was actually first released last month, while the first of Spring 2018 was released this past week.

It would make sense that fashion houses start releasing spring and summer fashion around Christmas. I usually find the looks I want on the clearance racks, but I expect to see the spring and summer collections out soon.

BartSimpson

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:19 am

seb146 wrote:
It would make sense that fashion houses start releasing spring and summer fashion around Christmas.

Of course it make sense to have additional relaeses. That way they can squeeze out even more money from their customers.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:59 pm

seb146 wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

It would make sense that fashion houses start releasing spring and summer fashion around Christmas. I usually find the looks I want on the clearance racks, but I expect to see the spring and summer collections out soon.

I know with high-end women's lines, that is typically when Resort/Cruise is released. Such lines are less common in menswear, but some high-end brands are starting to introduce similar lines for men.

seb146

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:30 pm

Many many moons ago, I worked at a local department store called Meier & Frank. I worked at the MFR store. I had been trained in Men's Clothing and they moved me to Housewears just before Christmas. One day, it was slow and I had to go upstairs to the cash register in Women's Sportswear for some reason. It blew me away how many sizes there are for women. And they were all in so many categories. Better Sportswear, Casual Wear, Plus size, Petite size, Woman size (seriously). It gave me yet another reason why I will never ever do drag.

WIederling

Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:11 pm

seb146 wrote:
It gave me yet another reason why I will never ever do drag.

No category : "Schwarzenegger Drag for Casual Wear" :-)