Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

StarAC17

Re: EWR Barack H Obama Airport

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:48 pm

dmg626 wrote:
Newarks a disaster, who would want their name attached to it ?

So with the complaints about LGA and EWR then it should be named Donald J. Trump International Airport. :stirthepot: :stirthepot:

AAvgeek744 wrote:
blockski wrote:
As a general rule, we shouldn't name things for people who are still living.

I agree. never for a living person. While I think it's relatively minor, Houston putting George H.W. Bush is a little embarrassing right now.

If any airport were to be named after Obama, seems like it would be in Chicago or Illinois.

Glad we followed that rule.

Singed,

DCA and IAH

United787 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Oh boy, someone in Washington D.C. is going to have a heart attack if that ever happens during his Presidency. :rotfl:

That is all the reason I need!

HNL makes the most sense but that was just named after a former Senator.
MDW was named after the Battle of Midway, can't see anyone touching that with a 10' pole.
ORD was named after a WWII hero, Edward Henry "Butch" O'Hare, again don't see anyone going near that. Anything named after something related to the military seems to be sacred in this country.
GYY is named for anything yet...

I am thinking something in Hawaii would suffice if not HNL, or lets piss off the conservatives and rename NBO. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

DIRECTFLT

Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:15 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
Flighty wrote:
You know that ISP will be Billy Joel Field. Newark may become Newark Ice-T Airport.

Does that mean we can rename LAX after Tupac?

I think we should prostitute the names of all airports, to be named to the highest bidder, to get much needed extra funds to our airports.

Let LAX be changed to BHO. To honor the Golden State's support of all things Obama.

slider

Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:18 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Name Meigs Field in Chicago after him. Both are monuments to the Chicago way of politics.

GF

That would be appropriate.

Or a closed airstrip in the middle of BFE nowhere that has grass growing up through the cracks of the pavement.

EA CO AS

Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:35 am

How about naming a segment of the El for him instead?

BobPatterson

Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:53 am

EA CO AS wrote:
How about naming a segment of the El for him instead?

That's an 'ell of an idea.

vrbarreto

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:38 am

Surely they should rename Jomo Kenyatta International Airport to Barack Obama International Airport... You know...the country of his birth! :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot:

Airstud

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:39 pm

Barack Obama has had a fairly easy life. That a major international airport should be named for him when there still aren't any named for Martin Luther King, Jr. would be a genuine travesty,

sevenair

Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:35 am

Ill be sticking with JFK. He’ll id even trail all the way to Stewart. I will not fly to an airport whose namesake is an anti British xenophobe who stoked up a lot of bad feeling toward us during his reign. From the Deep Water Horizon disaster to Brexit. Frankly I’d rather fly to Trump Intercontinental airport if such a thing existed.

EA CO AS

Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:56 am

Airstud wrote:
Barack Obama has had a fairly easy life. That a major international airport should be named for him when there still aren't any named for Martin Luther King, Jr. would be a genuine travesty,

Well-said.

lugie

Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:33 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
Airstud wrote:

Well-said.

I'm not against naming an airport after Obama at all, but I agree that it's about time an airport be named after MLK. I'm just not sure where this could be, because I believe if anything it should be a rather major airport and not some provincial field served only by regionals.

ATL would be the obvious choice but already has two namesakes.
IAD or DCA would be a great way to honor his March on Washington and some of the most famous words anybody ever spoke.
MEM would probably be a bit macabre, or what do you think?

NoTime

Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:27 pm

Curiousflyer wrote:
...isn’t it time to come up with a bold move and rename the airport with the name of the best president we have had in a long time?

He's already got one named after him - DCA.

Airstud

Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:50 pm

lugie wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
Airstud wrote:

Well-said.

I'm not against naming an airport after Obama at all, but I agree that it's about time an airport be named after MLK. I'm just not sure where this could be, because I believe if anything it should be a rather major airport and not some provincial field served only by regionals.

ATL would be the obvious choice but already has two namesakes.
IAD or DCA would be a great way to honor his March on Washington and some of the most famous words anybody ever spoke.
MEM would probably be a bit macabre, or what do you think?

I agree ATL is the best fit; but I don't think MEM is macabre. In fact if they put up an exhibit in the main entrance hall honoring his life and accomplishments, it would be most fitting.

Sometimes people leave flowers at the site of an accident that claimed a loved one...

BobPatterson

Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:58 pm

Airstud wrote:
I agree ATL is the best fit; but I don't think MEM is macabre. In fact if they put up an exhibit in the main entrance hall honoring his life and accomplishments, it would be most fitting.

Sometimes people leave flowers at the site of an accident that claimed a loved one...

Mr. Obama has no natural relationship with Atlanta.

If the Atlanta airport is ever renamed, the only logical honoree would be Martin Luther King, Jr.

Airstud

Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:28 am

BobPatterson wrote:
Airstud wrote:

If the Atlanta airport is ever renamed, the only logical honoree would be Martin Luther King, Jr.

MLK is whom my and lugie's posts were about.

Flaps

Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:43 am

Just one more reason to avoid EWR like the plague.

jetero

Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:33 am

cokepopper wrote:
EWR had a name change after 9/11
Let’s leave it at that!
Newark Liberty International Airport.

How are these threads even allowed?

Thank you. EWR was already renamed for a very good reason.

akiss20

Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:47 am

jetero wrote:
cokepopper wrote:
EWR had a name change after 9/11
Let’s leave it at that!
Newark Liberty International Airport.

How are these threads even allowed?

Thank you. EWR was already renamed for a very good reason.

The first re-name was stupid as well. It's Newark Airport, no more or less needed.

stratosphere

Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:04 am

EWR is a hell hole naming it after Obummer would be totally fitting

DaveFly

Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:13 am

While we’re on the subject — why was IAD named after John Foster Dulles, Eisenhower’s Secy of State?? I can’t think of any great political or diplomatic achievements in his career. He wasn’t well liked by anyone. Even Carol Burnett, in her early years, sang a song mocking him.

BobPatterson

Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:48 am

DaveFly wrote:
While we’re on the subject — why was IAD named after John Foster Dulles, Eisenhower’s Secy of State?? I can’t think of any great political or diplomatic achievements in his career. He wasn’t well liked by anyone. Even Carol Burnett, in her early years, sang a song mocking him.

He wasn't well liked by anyone? You took a poll back in the 40s and 50s?

TIME liked him well enough to name him Man of the Year in 1954.

He had at least a minor hand in the establishment or building up of the State of Israel, the United Nations, NATO, SEATO and other treaties.

His time at State was an active period for the USA involvement in a number of beneficial international programs.

The name for Dulles Airport was chosen by the Eisenhower administration, shortly after Mr. Dulles died.

seb146

Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:51 am

BobPatterson wrote:
DaveFly wrote:

He wasn't well liked by anyone? You took a poll back in the 40s and 50s?

TIME liked him well enough to name him Man of the Year in 1954.

He had at least a minor hand in the establishment or building up of the State of Israel, the United Nations, NATO, SEATO and other treaties.

His time at State was an active period for the USA involvement in a number of beneficial international programs.

The name for Dulles Airport was chosen by the Eisenhower administration, shortly after Mr. Dulles died.

I had heard he was known to be very dull. That was the comedy in Carol Burnett's song. I had never heard of him being controversial.

DaveFly

Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:44 pm

That’s correct — he wasn’t controversial. He didn’t have any major legacies either. As Mr Patterson pointed out above, he had a minor role in some of the post-WWII issues of the era. I can’t imagine why a major airport was named for him. There have been a lot of ‘Time Men of the Year’ before and after. The only thing that comes to mind is the Republican penchant for sticking a finger in the eye of Democrats, similar to the change of name from Boulder Dam to Hoover Dam. Hoover had a minor role in clearing the government bureaucracy for approval of the dam, but nothing to do with its design or construction. FDR was mortified by the switcharoo, and that made his political enemies very happy. So we have a Hoover Dam and a Dulles Airport.

DaveFly

Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:50 pm

Let me add that I’m not a great fan of Ronald Reagan, although I voted for him nonetheless. Yes, National Airport was named for him. That doesn’t bother me at all — I might disagree with his policies and legacy, but there’s no doubt he had a major influence on domestic and international events. But Dulles? I just don’t see it.

seb146

Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:54 pm

This may shed some light on why Dulles

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/wh ... a7294bb8a6

The last paragraph states:

"...biographer Stephen Ambrose weighed in: “I think Eisenhower named the airport for Dulles because he was the most prominent recently dead Republican. Who else was there? He sure couldn’t name it after Thomas Dewey or Herbert Hoover.”

DaveFly

Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:05 pm

seb146 wrote:

Thanks for the link. I’m obviously not the only one who’s stumped. Perhaps at this point, the airport should be renamed for Eisenhower.

flyingclrs727

Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:30 pm

blockski wrote:
As a general rule, we shouldn't name things for people who are still living.

I wholeheartedly agree. Prior to WWII that was pretty much the rule. After the City of Houston bought what is now "Hobby Airport" they renamed it to "Howard R. Hughes Airport." They reverted to the name of "Houston Municipal Airport," because federal law prohibited spending federal money on facilities named after living people.

The site was acquired by the city of Houston and was named Houston Municipal Airport in 1937. The airport was renamed Howard R. Hughes Airport in 1938. Howard Hughes was responsible for several improvements to the airport, including its first control tower, built in 1938. The airport's name changed back to Houston Municipal because Hughes was still alive at the time and regulations did not allow federal improvement funds for an airport named after a living person.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William ... prov=sfla1

Flighty

Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:43 pm

DaveFly wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Thanks for the link. I’m obviously not the only one who’s stumped. Perhaps at this point, the airport should be renamed for Eisenhower.

Ladies and gentlemen, we will be departing Eisenhower International, lifting off through the Barack Obama airspace, hallowed be his name, landing at LAX - Snowden International in six hours.

flyingclrs727

Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:28 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
Airstud wrote:

ATL is already named after two people which is already awkward. Adding a third name would be ridiculous. Perhaps Martin Luther King, Jr. could have a new terminal named after him?

flyingclrs727

Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:53 pm

Dutchy wrote:
sw733 wrote:
What possible connection does Obama have to New Jersey or NYC?

An honest question, why has JFK been named after John F. Kennedy, I have visited the Kennedy library - nice - which was located in Boston.

Lots of facilities all over the US were renamed in honor of the late President John F. Kennedy in the aftermath of his assassination in November 1963. At the time Idlewild was the most important US airport for transatlantic traffic. BOS in JFK's hometown of Boston, was already named after a WWI general.

Moose135

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:17 pm

crownvic wrote:
And why would we name any airport after the WORST President this country ever had?

We are talking about naming an airport for Barack Obama, not Donald Trump...

slider

Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:15 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
Airstud wrote:

ATL is already named after two people which is already awkward. Adding a third name would be ridiculous. Perhaps Martin Luther King, Jr. could have a new terminal named after him?

To clarify, though, the correct name for ATL is Atlanta Hartsfield Latoya Jackson Galactic Spaceport and Nail Salon. So sayeth the famous Facebook check-in locale. :)

It shall always be referred to as such.