zkojq
Topic Author

Ferry McFerryface

Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:43 am

The people of Sydney have chosen to name a new Sydney ferry "Ferry McFerryface"

Ferry McFerryface has only just been christened but it's already polarising maritime staff who have taken a stand against the vessel's name and refused to work on it.

Maritime Union of Australia spokesman Paul Garrett today told 2GB Mornings he was furious with the decision to christen the last of a new fleet of Sydney Harbour ferries Ferry McFerryface. "The Transport Minister is demonstrating here that he treats public transport as a joke," Garrett said. The assistant secretary of the Sydney branch said staff will refuse to work on the newly named ferry.

Ferry McFerryface was Sydney's second most popular choice after the now famous jokey Mc-moniker, Boaty McBoatface, the state government said on Tuesday.

Officials overruled the trendsetting favourite name. "Given 'Boaty' was already taken by another vessel, we've gone with the next most popular name nominated by Sydneysiders," Constance said in a statement. "Ferry McFerryface will be the harbour's newest icon and I hope it brings a smile to the faces of visitors and locals alike," he said.

More than 15,000 suggestions were made in the Name Your Ferry competition and three of the six new ferries have already been picked by voters: Victor Chang (Australian heart surgeon), Fred Hollows (ophthalmologist) and Catherine Hamlin (obstetrician).

The suggested names were considered by a four-person panel comprising of Australian National Maritime Museum director and chief executive Kevin Sumption, former NSW Volunteer of the Year Patrick Dodd, NSW Young Australian of the Year Melissa Abu-Gazaleh and Australian Museum director and chief executive Kim McKay. When voting opened Mr Constance urged the public: "Let's really generate some of the best names possible."

The new fleet has capacity for about 400 customers, improved accessibility for people with disabilities, wi-fi access, luggage and bicycle storage areas and charging stations for electronic devices.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/ar ... d=11944042
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-13/s ... ce/9146446

What a time to be alive! Personally, I think the name should go ahead - the people have spoken and if they want to make it a meme, why shouldn't they?
Most recent planes I've been in: A318 F-GUGQ, A319 F-GRHR, A320ceo D-AIZH, A320neo D-AINE, A330-300 VH-QPD, A350-900 B-LRA, A380-800 D-AIMH, B737-600 LN-RPA, B737-700 OY-JTY, B737-800 LN-NGA, B767-300 ZK-NCI, B777-200 ZK-OKD, B787-9 ZK-NZH, CS100 HB-JBG

BartSimpson

Re: Ferry McFerryface

Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:23 am

Francoflier

Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:38 am

Yeah, that was funny the first time around... Now it's just a bit cringe-worthy, to be honest.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Flighty

Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:41 pm

As a fan of cringe-worthy humor I think it could go far, far further and far longer. Schooly McSchoolface, Coppy McCopface, and how about the new sewage plant. When people are sick of it, that's when it starts to become really funny. JMO

EstherLouise

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:32 am

When Bill O'Reilly was still on Fox News, he frequently had internet polls and voting opportunities and always seemed surprised when silliness resulted. It's the internet, O'Reilly. How dare you take it seriously?

TWA772LR

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:13 am

Flighty wrote:
As a fan of cringe-worthy humor I think it could go far, far further and far longer. Schooly McSchoolface, Coppy McCopface, and how about the new sewage plant. When people are sick of it, that's when it starts to become really funny. JMO

President McPressyface, Qantas McQantyface...
"It's not getting to the land of the nonrev that's the problem, it's getting back." ~~Captain Hector Barbossa
The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and don't necessarily reflect those of my employer.

GDB

Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:41 pm

Even local authority road clearing vehicles now;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-so ... e-42026485