eastafspot
Topic Author

Because of you: hotel occupancy rate in Burundi is only 10%

Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:31 am

That's another disaster in (East ) Africa!!!

After 2 visits this year, I can conclude without any problem that is safe to go to Burundi :)

One of the many reasons to go fly in to Bujumbura (BJM) is that Burundi owns the very official source of the Nile river :smile:

What prevents you from going there, honestly?

Pierre Claver Nduwumwami, Director General of Burundi Business Incubator, says the hotel occupancy rate is very low as the number of tourists who come to Burundi is very low. “The purchasing power of domestic customers who occupy rooms in hotels is low,” he says.

The number of tourists who come to Burundi is very low The number of tourists who come to Burundi is very low
He also says the tourism sector in Burundi is faced with serious problems. In order to cope with this, BBIN presented on Tuesday, 7 November, a strategic plan to promote it. It was validated by various partners in tourism industry.

Mpundu Marie José, Director of the Department of Hotels and Tourism, says this five- year validated strategic plan aims to provide professional training to hoteliers, rehabilitate tourist sites and make known Burundian tourism worldwide.

Hotel owners say the major problem they are faced with is the lack of customers. The average hotel occupancy rate is 10%, says Isaac Budabuda, owner of Marta Hotel.

“We invested in high class hotels. We expected to gain from foreign customers. Unfortunately, the number of tourists coming to Burundi is very low, “says Budabuda.

He says granting a Burundian visa is very difficult, which prevents tourists from coming to Burundi.

Some tourists canceled their trips to Burundi because they were refused a visa. “Every time we meet with government officials, we ask them to facilitate the issuance of Burundi visa to attract tourists,” says Budabuda adding that tourism can bring a lot of foreign currencies to the country.

Source:
http://www.iwacu-burundi.org/englishnew ... ndi-is-10/
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Air Uganda, Kenya Airways and Rwandair...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki

BobPatterson

Re: Because of you: hotel occupancy rate in Burundi is only 10%

Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:59 am

Browsing the IWACU reveals an assortment of problems in Burundi that are not conducive to tourism.

Tourists have many choices when deciding where to spend their money.

Comfort, ease of travel, and safety are among them.

Burundi does not (based on information on the IWACU site) appear to be doing much to instill confidence in tourists.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

ual747den

Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:28 am

eastafspot wrote:
After 2 visits this year, I can conclude without any problem that is safe to go to Burundi :)

I am glad that you were able to learn so much from your 2 visits into the country however the fact remains that it is no a safe country to travel to and there are a great deal of problems in the country which people should be very aware of before considering traveling there. The US State Department just issued a travel advisory 4 days ago advising against travel into the country.
/// UNITED AIRLINES

P1aneMad

Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:46 am

Dude I fail to see how it is mine or anyone else's fault that Burundi has so low hotel occupancy rates.
Nobody has any responsibility to visit Burundi and spend their hard earned dollars there.
It is Burundi that needs to become an attractive destination for travelers and especially business investors.
And while browsing the news site you provided (thanks for that) at the top of it main page was this piece of news:

Minister of Justice Aimée Laurentine says Burundi will never, in any case, cooperate with the ICC (International Criminal Court ) in the implementation of the decision to open investigation into the crimes committed in Burundi.

http://www.iwacu-burundi.org/englishnews/burundi-will-never-cooperate-with-icc-says-justice-minister/

Visiting a country whose government flatly refuses to investigate some of the biggest atrocities ever committed in an African country is more than enough reason for me not only to visit it but slap sanctions on it too!
In fact I would question your decision to visit that country and indirectly support a regime that has conducted such heinus acts against its citizens.
https://www.hrw.org/news/2017/11/09/icc-new-burundi-investigation

WIederling

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:57 am

ual747den wrote:
The US State Department just issued a travel advisory 4 days ago advising against travel into the country.

What kind of advisories would the US State Department publish when the US were a foreign state i.e. reporting on itself using the same rationale they use for other countries ? :-)
Murphy is an optimist

LJ

Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:52 am

eastafspot wrote:
That's another disaster in (East ) Africa!!!
One of the many reasons to go fly in to Bujumbura (BJM) is that Burundi owns the very official source of the Nile river :smile:

You already give a good one when you quote the article:

He says granting a Burundian visa is very difficult, which prevents tourists from coming to Burundi.

Why would one go to a country for which one needs a visa when there are enough countries for which one doesn't need a visa. Next is the lack of good connections with Europe (AFAIK only options are via Brussels, Nairobi or Addis Ababa).

ual747den wrote:
The US State Department just issued a travel advisory 4 days ago advising against travel into the country.

Not only the US. Most (if not all) European countries give a similar advice.

ual747den

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:11 am

WIederling wrote:
ual747den wrote:

What kind of advisories would the US State Department publish when the US were a foreign state i.e. reporting on itself using the same rationale they use for other countries ? :-)

I would imagine it would look something like an advisory for going to the UK. Are you trying to say that the US is unsafe for tourists?
/// UNITED AIRLINES

Aesma

Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:16 am

Mainly tourists died the other day in the terrorist attack in NYC.

The USA doesn't cooperate with the ICC either.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

WIederling

Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:53 am

Aesma wrote:
Mainly tourists died the other day in the terrorist attack in NYC.

The USA doesn't cooperate with the ICC either.

Quite the contrary actually.
They are going for immunity clauses in various treaties.
Murphy is an optimist

einsteinboricua

Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:21 pm

eastafspot wrote:

Your inability to pay my expenses there, because I sure as hell won't be spending my money to visit. There are far more places deserving of my tourism money.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

VSMUT

Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:34 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
Browsing the IWACU reveals an assortment of problems in Burundi that are not conducive to tourism.

Tourists have many choices when deciding where to spend their money.

Comfort, ease of travel, and safety are among them.

Burundi does not (based on information on the IWACU site) appear to be doing much to instill confidence in tourists.

Not to mention that if you absolutely want to spend a fortune visiting East Africa, Tanzania and Kenya offer so much more when it comes to Safari parks and beach holidays. Browsing through travel and airline magazines, they don't seem to be terribly busy promoting themselves either.