Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

metalinyoni
Topic Author

Whats your Uber rating?

Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:25 am

About a year ago I started to notice that more and more Uber drivers were initially accepting my requests and then cancelling. I mentioned this to a mate who said it was probably because my Uber rating was low (below 4.5). I didn't even know drivers rated the passengers but I found out that my rating was 4.25. I was horrified and then started to obsess with why it was low - I don't drink, never told a driver which way to go, never eaten in the car, don't slam doors and I always tip. I can't think why I have been rated low. So I thought stuff it I'll just use normal taxi's and forget about Uber. For point of reference, I'm a 41-year-old married chartered accountant - I'm not much of a party goer who is barfing in taxies with a group of hoochi mama's. I am almost the perfect characterization of a dull accountant.

However yesterday I was in London with a client who was trying to organise an Uber and couldn't get the app to work so I said we could use mine. Before we got into the car I explained to them the whole rating issue and said I wanted to get mine better so explained the rules. We were waiting for him when he arrived, we put our own bags in the boot/trunk, no one spoke much as we were tired from the conference, no one slammed doors, no one gave the driver any directions, we said thank-you at our destination and I tipped him 20% of the fare.

After making all that effort to be decent and pleasant customers, my rating is now even lower at 4.11. which means the driver must have rated me 3.

I don't understand why the driver would intentionally give me such a bad rating which makes it more difficult for me to use the service in the future. I would love to hear from an Uber driver what I could possibly be doing wrong. It really bugs me because I do try to be a pleasant person and obviously, it's not working at least in the world of Uber.

Dutchy

Re: Whats your Uber rating?

Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:06 am

Simple, never use Uber again, f*ck that company.

metalinyoni
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:15 am

Dutchy wrote:
Simple, never use Uber again, f*ck that company.

I have to be honest, that's a pretty good reflection of the way I feel at the moment.

Kiwirob

Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:21 am

If you're using taxis in London you should use GETT, I wouldn't touch UBER with a bargepole.

metalinyoni
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:23 am

Kiwirob wrote:
If you're using taxis in London you should use GETT, I wouldn't touch UBER with a bargepole.

Thanks, I have just downloaded it and will use it in future.

Dutchy

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:05 pm

Good, problem solved ;-)

metalinyoni
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:15 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Good, problem solved ;-)

well, at least until I get bad ratings on that app as well!!!

BestWestern

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:34 pm

Why would you tip an Uber driver? I’ve a rating of 4.85 and have never tipped one.

I too have grown wary of uber of late. In saying that... In HK they are still better the octogenarian red Taxi drivers who are working for the Taxi mafia plate owners, in Bangkok you don’t have to plead with them to put the meter on. In Manila, i don’t have a ‘no change’ scam pulled every time and in KL I don’t have a Taxi made (and last cleaned) some time in the early 1980’s.

Actually In poorer countries, the uber drivers tend to be really interesting people. It’s in wealthier cities, they tend to act like unemployed drug dealers. The drIvers in Malayisa are the best!

notaxonrotax

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:03 pm

Never sat in an Uber my whole life......

No Tax On Rotax

B777LRF

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:13 pm

Tax dodging, employee scamming, non-licensed, uninsured fraudsters. Never have, never will under their current way of operating.

Frenchify

Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:23 pm

I'm 4.9 :)
yay. Life achievements.

af773atmsp

Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:50 pm

One late night going home from the airport my Uber driver took a very strange routing to get to my house. At first I thought he was lost, then looking at my bill I realized they charge by distance so he made the trip unnecessarily long to get more money out of me. Thankfully on the Uber website there is a way to dispute it and I got money back. Just a heads up to any other less than experienced Uber users.

I only use Uber when there is absolutely no other option.

TWA772LR

Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:57 pm

I just got into this game last month. I was going to a club and didn't want to drive because I knew I was gonna drink and saw Lyft was the cheaper option on Google so I download Lyft instead of Uber. I always keep an eye on the drivers GPS when I take one to make sure there's nothing sketchy happening.

VapourTrails

Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:50 am

Mine is currently 4.86. I am not sure how I was marked down, but it is good to know if cancellations happen, what the reason might be. Don't use Uber often, few half dozen times a year. My main issue with them so far is some violate the road rules. :sarcastic:

WarRI1

Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:09 am

I assume mine is zero and will stay that way. ;)

usflyer msp

Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:24 am

I have a 4.84. I only use Uber when I am travelling in non-English speaking countries - since I don't have to attempt to explain my destination in a language that I don't speak or subject myself to the taxi scams. The drivers I have had in Asia and Latin America have been cool. I NEVER use Uber in the US/Canada/Europe - I cannot stand how the drivers seem to think that they are doing you a favor by choosing to drive you. F*** them...

apodino

Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:34 am

I am about 4.9 or so. I don't use them very often, but they have been great when I do. What I do like is it provides people an easy way to earn extra money and set their own schedule, in an era where it's needed with the way corporate America is holding back wages. I personally also tip the drivers well too,

melpax

Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:06 pm

4.69 here, would love to know how they rate passengers, I've always rated my drivers 5 stars, have never had a bad Uber driver yet, unlike some taxi rides I've had here. The Melbourne cabbies have been very vocal in their opposition to Uber, even to the point of blockading the airport on a couple of occasions. They don't help their cause by refusing 'short' fares (not unusual for a cab to refuse a fare at the airport if your destination is anything up to 10-15kms away), and my worst bugbear, talking on their phones (while using an earpiece) in a foreign language while driving passengers. If I'm paying you up to 100 bucks to drive me home from a night out in town, then I expect you to concentrate on the road, not talk on the phone to your friends/family overseas. Uber has proved popular here for these reasons...

787Driver

Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:47 pm

My rating is still 5.0 after around 25 trips. And a few times i even got a bit irritated when they called me and asked me where I was going.. I guess i was lucky

787Driver

Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:04 pm

melpax wrote:
They don't help their cause by refusing 'short' fares

As mentioned above, I experienced a few times (especially in the UK) that they (the UBER drivers) call to ask me where I'm going because they can't see it on the uber app before they actually pick up the passenger. And a few times after I told them, they hung up on me and cancelled the ride.

Calder

Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:28 pm

No Uber/Lyft drivers up where I live.

Local taxi businesses still reign king, which is nice because they're extremely inexpensive.

kabq737

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:53 pm

For me Uber depends on the city I’m in. I have had no issues with cabs in places like Seattle however, I am DONE with NYC cabs. I think instead of complaining the traditional taxi companies just need to step up their game. In many US cities the experience tends to be more pleasant on Uber. I think it’s good for the cab companies to get some competition. In the end it SHOULD result in better customer experience on either end however, we’ll see how that works out.

As for ratings me and people from my company have found that many Uber drivers like to talk aviation. When they ask us who we work for and why we’re in town they’re almost always interested in hearing about our aviation experience. I think if you talk to Uber drivers and treat them like nice people they tend to rate higher. This all comes from US experience as when I travel internationally I still tend to use a traditional cab.

melpax

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:57 am

Heard this on the radio the other morning, how to keep your passenger rating up from an Uber driver....

https://www.3aw.com.au/uber-driver-reve ... ar-rating/

VapourTrails

Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:52 am

melpax wrote:
Heard this on the radio the other morning, how to keep your passenger rating up from an Uber driver....

https://www.3aw.com.au/uber-driver-reve ... ar-rating/

Thanks - interesting. Ah, Melbourne talkback radio, that takes me back. :cloudnine:

From listening to this, one thing that could have applied to me is that one time I was not waiting right at the pick up point and the driver had to get out of the car and come look for me (not far).

With regard to eating and drinking, I have only had water, and when it was my own and not offered I remember asking first before drinking it, but not every time. No harm in drinking water though as said.

I thought not talking enough, or too much might be an issue. Where does one draw the line LOL. I do compliment them on their car usually, as compared to taxis they are much more pleasant.

I may ask my next Uber driver about the ratings system.. :scratchchin:

einsteinboricua

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:59 am

I just noticed that I'm down to 4.71, but I don't use Uber that much and frankly, 4.7 is still rather high.

Tugger

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:54 pm

melpax wrote:
If I'm paying you up to 100 bucks to drive me home from a night out in town, then I expect you to concentrate on the road, not talk on the phone to your friends/family overseas.

Of course the issue is that generally the cab driver is not the owner of the vehicle and not the one getting paid $100. He is probably making a minimum wage and then has to rent or lease the cab and its medallion (or whatever term is used in various places) to do his job. Some cabbie make good money, many are good straightforward people but it has long been a difficult business as the medallions became to valuable for many drivers to own and it became better smarter for the medallion owners to simply let others do the work and have the medallion in use 24/7.

It is basically Business 101 but I think the best success comes when the owner is the driver (in general) and that is what Uber reconnected when it started (it may be too big now).

Tugg

CrimsonNL

Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:49 pm

Wow, this sounds just like that episode "Nosedive" of the series Black Mirror. I suggest you go watch it! And after that stop worrying about a rating a freaking taxi company gives YOU. What's next, the cashier at the store will give me a rating when I buy a carton of milk?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nosedive

Martijn

DLFREEBIRD

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:24 am

4.9 I should have a horrible rating.

my last fair was 8.00 so i gave a 5.00 tip. one before that was 11.00 and they got a 5.00 tip. I don't see how they make any money the fares are so cheap. It usually takes them 20 minutes to take me home.

That said i have so many issues with the uber ap. I live in a gated community, and uber ap tells my drivers to pull up behind my house outside my gated community. Where i would have to climb over a 7 foot wall to just get inside my community. So. i always tell them their uber aps wrong and i will tell them how to get to my house. I've been waiting for three years for them to correct this. I can never arrange for uber to pick me up in front of my house because sadly most drivers are helpless at trying to find a address without rely on their ap meaning they will be sitting out in the middle of the street behind my house wait for me to climb over my wall Not going to happen. So i have to call a taxi when i need to be picked up at home.

metalinyoni
Topic Author

Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:35 pm

CrimsonNL wrote:
Wow, this sounds just like that episode "Nosedive" of the series Black Mirror. I suggest you go watch it! And after that stop worrying about a rating a freaking taxi company gives YOU. What's next, the cashier at the store will give me a rating when I buy a carton of milk?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nosedive

Martijn

Whilst I agree with your sentiments, the rating you receive affects your chances of picking up a ride so its not simply a random indication of whether some random person likes you or not. So when I go out of my way to be a good passenger so I can keep giving them money it's mildly irritating to keep getting low ratings.

I was in London last weekend and was telling a mate about the Uber rating issue, so he ordered an Uber to take us home - he broke every rule - we weren't at the pickup point, changed the destination three times and he told the driver which way to go, and had bought some very smelly cheese that funked out the car big time, and his ratings went UP!. I had to laugh.

Its a lottery I tell you.

ojjunior

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:13 am

I'm 5 and what do i earn?

11725Flyer

Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:50 pm

Based on all the issues Uber has, I won't use it. Lyft has been good for me in the limited situations I've needed it.

jovelson

Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:54 am

4.97 here. Higher than I'd expected.

mdonato545

Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:29 pm

I read an article that most people are at a 4.8 average and if you are under a 4.5 that is significantly low. I always try to say good morning/good afternoon and thank them when i'm done. I always have headphones in during my uber commutes and never talk to the drivers unless i'm getting in or getting out, and i'm still at a 4.63. I

frmrCapCadet

Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:48 pm

The rating system suffers from 'grade inflation'. To misuse Buber, a driver and passenger are not looking for a best friend relationship. Promptness, courtesy, cleanliness are expected from both sides. Such a ride maybe could be called an 'uber'. If special needs are met, things go wrong, etc they should be noted in just a few words. The current system is almost a kind of blackmailing, anything less than five is a slam.

mdonato545

Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:50 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
The rating system suffers from 'grade inflation'. To misuse Buber, a driver and passenger are not looking for a best friend relationship. Promptness, courtesy, cleanliness are expected from both sides. Such a ride maybe could be called an 'uber'. If special needs are met, things go wrong, etc they should be noted in just a few words. The current system is almost a kind of blackmailing, anything less than five is a slam.

Yeah totally see this... And it's not fair because some drivers will try to chat you up and expect you to engage with them in a less than professional manner. If you don't play ball and be extra then up they could very well give you a poor rating. This is a problem for women passengers with male drivers especially.

ojjunior

Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:48 pm

Is that true that Uber was banned in London??

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:20 pm

Double post. Argh.
Last edited by 45272455674 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:22 pm

Don't use Uber. Also don't use taxis much either. I've had bad experiences with drivers trying to scam me.

So I only pay them with cash or I use public transport (buses/trains).

kellyon

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:15 pm

I heard a lot about Uber but I haven't try it yet

OA260

Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:43 pm

I was nervous about using Uber but in November I was in Florida and decided to give it a try. I have to say I was impressed with it. A few times I had requested a Uber and after a few mins it got cancelled but then I just requested again and one turned up. All drivers were friendly and had some good conversations with them. Always tipped a few $$ and left them feedback. I guess I took around 9-10 during my time there. I have a rating of 5*

Super80Fan

Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:12 am

I have a 4.93, don't tip and don't use Uber too much but it's nice to have it around.

alaturka

Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:38 am

This story sounds like "black mirrors" episodes.

SM-G950F cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

Kent350787

Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:56 am

5. Small tips in the USA, no tipping in Australia