1337Delta764
Topic Author

Thanksgiving - The Forgotten Holiday?

Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:05 pm

With Thanksgiving falling between Halloween and Christmas, it seems that in recent years that many retailers have reduced its prominence after Halloween, going directly to Christmas. Why is this?

I actually consider Thanksgiving to be more important than Halloween, yet Halloween is far more prominent in store promotion. At my house I have even put up orange, yellow, and red light bulbs for Thanksgiving this past weekend instead of going directly to the red and green Christmas bulbs, and will leave them up until Black Friday. I think Thanksgiving needs a little more respect. Christmas is still my #1 holiday, but I don't think Thanksgiving should be sidelined.
Last edited by 1337Delta764 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

flipdewaf

Re: Thanksgiving - The Forgotten Holiday?

Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Well what is there to make money at, what incentive is there for the stores to promote it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:14 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
Well what is there to make money at, what incentive is there for the stores to promote it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkey decorations, autumn leaves, orange/yellow/red lights (with string lights having brown wires).

dtw2hyd

Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:16 pm

Because bean counters did the math and figured out online sales are better than staffing brick and mortar stores by paying employees overtime. While at time spin as if they care about employees, ie., spend time with their families.

BobPatterson

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:55 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
With Thanksgiving falling between Halloween and Christmas, it seems that in recent years that many retailers have reduced its prominence after Halloween, going directly to Christmas. Why is this?

In what way have retailers reduced the prominence of Thanksgiving?

It is essentially a one-meal holiday (with lots of leftovers). No conspicuous consumption, but a huge shot-in-the-arm for the travel/hospitality industry.

Halloween sales of costumes, decorations and candy run to about $9 billion in the USA.

Special Thanksgiving food costs run only to about $3 billion. But the travel costs for 49 million people will be huge.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

ER757

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:40 pm

Grocery stores are the only ones making any signifigant money on Thanksgiving. Kids are dressing up in Thanksgiving costumes, people don't put up Thanksgiving trees decorated with lights and ornaments or give out Thanksgiving presents as a rule. Therefore retailers don't spend a lot of effort promoting it. It's not "forgotten" at all in my opinion, it's just economics

Tugger

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:48 pm

Hey don't forget about "Black Friday" now becoming "Black Thursday". Retailers love that day (well they did before Amazon and online shopping) Couldn't do that without Thanksgiving.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

fr8mech

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:02 am

Thanksgiving remains an important holiday in my home. Not just for its traditional significance, but because we host the family every year, plus a couple of families that would otherwise spend the holiday only with themselves, when they'd rather not. It's basically an open invitation at my home for our friends and family.

Last year the wife and I decided to take the kids to Disney Thanksgiving Week, and it felt wrong while we were there. This year, we're picking up the host duties again, and we are going to continue that so long as we can.

As for retailers opening on Thanksgiving, I won't go out and shop, but some of our family members will. I couldn't care less, either way. I work in an industry where I wind up working Thanksgiving night more times than not, this year included.

We don't decorate, but Halloween decorations are long gone, and Christmas decorations go up that weekend.

It's not forgotten, it's reserved.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

Channex757

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:26 pm

There is also zero export potential in Thanksgiving, so why become invested in it if you are a manufacturer or international retailer?

EA CO AS

Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:07 am

I recently heard someone say that Halloween was the last hurdle before "all the gravy holidays commence," so clearly it's not exactly forgotten. :)
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

BartSimpson

Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:46 am

So, holidays are only about market potential and sales promotions?

scbriml

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:15 am

BartSimpson wrote:

No, there's also deciding what colours to wear on each holiday! Every year.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

BestWestern

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:25 am

Fixed that for you...

scbriml wrote:
BartSimpson wrote:

No, there's also deciding what shade of pink to wear on each holiday! Every year.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:30 am

BestWestern wrote:
Fixed that for you...

scbriml wrote:
BartSimpson wrote:

No, there's also deciding what shade of pink to wear on each holiday! Every year.

I'm wearing Saltwater Red this Thanksgiving, and will probably wear Real Red on Christmas. On St. Patrick's Day I wore Absinthe Green.

geologyrocks

Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:09 am

I don't shop on Thanksgiving or even Black Friday. With that being said, there are people who do and as much as people want to complain about it there is obviously enough people who are willing to shop on those days now. It's no secret that retail doesn't pay very much. So, extra cash should be welcomed especially when so many of the retail employees during this time of year are seasonal. These stores are struggling to survive more and more each year - who could blame them for trying to seize on an opportunity to stay afloat. If you don't want to work Thanksgiving then go find a place that isn't open.