User avatar
Dutchy
Topic Author
Posts: 3740
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:47 pm

WASHINGTON — Then there was one.

Syria announced during United Nations climate talks on Tuesday that it would sign the Paris agreement on climate change. The move, which comes on the heels of Nicaragua signing the accord last month, will leave the United States as the only country that has rejected the global pact.

According to several people who were in a plenary session at the climate talks in Bonn, Germany, a Syrian delegate announced that the country was poised to send its ratification of the Paris agreement to the United Nations.

“This is the very last country that actually announced, so everyone has joined and the U.S. is now so isolated,” said Safa Al Jayoussi, executive director of IndyAct, an environmental organization based in Lebanon that works with Arab countries on climate change.

A White House spokeswoman, Kelly Love, pointed reporters to a statement the administration made when Nicaragua joined the pact, noting there had been no change in the United States’ position.



https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/clim ... ement.html

Congratulations Syria for entering the Paris agreement.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 3146
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:43 pm

Big Deal. Lots of countries who will never meet their own targets have signed up for feel-good reasons, and with no fear of penalties for failure to meet their obligations.

The people, cities and businesses of the United States will continue to make solid progress in reducing emissions and increasing the use of renewable energy.

And, we are not out of the accord until 2020, if then.

In the meantime, I expect we will continue to witness your anti-US drumbeat.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
Ken777
Posts: 9412
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:39 am

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:07 am

Trump's refusal to stay on the Paris Accord is simply an embarrassment for those who have a reasonable view of the Accord, but Trump is an embarrassments in so many areas for me. And apparently for others according to tonight's election results.
 
User avatar
WarRI1
Posts: 10298
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:32 am

Ken777 wrote:
Trump's refusal to stay on the Paris Accord is simply an embarrassment for those who have a reasonable view of the Accord, but Trump is an embarrassments in so many areas for me. And apparently for others according to tonight's election results.


I cannot even listen to his speech's, he is an embarrassment of the worst type. I have not listened to the results tonight, but I have sure prayed for the results so I can believe the American People are not all brain damaged.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 3146
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:38 am

WarRI1 wrote:
Ken777 wrote:
Trump's refusal to stay on the Paris Accord is simply an embarrassment for those who have a reasonable view of the Accord, but Trump is an embarrassments in so many areas for me. And apparently for others according to tonight's election results.


I cannot even listen to his speech's, he is an embarrassment of the worst type. I have not listened to the results tonight, but I have sure prayed for the results so I can believe the American People are not all brain damaged.

Are you willing to publish your election prayer? Is there a god of elections?
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
User avatar
WarRI1
Posts: 10298
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:49 am

BobPatterson wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
Ken777 wrote:
Trump's refusal to stay on the Paris Accord is simply an embarrassment for those who have a reasonable view of the Accord, but Trump is an embarrassments in so many areas for me. And apparently for others according to tonight's election results.


I cannot even listen to his speech's, he is an embarrassment of the worst type. I have not listened to the results tonight, but I have sure prayed for the results so I can believe the American People are not all brain damaged.

Are you willing to publish your election prayer? Is there a god of elections?


When thing get to the point that we have arrived at in our country, one will try anything to ask for justice and the return to sanity in our country. I have arrived at that point. I have tried to vote for the best candidate, I have tried to work for workers rights, I have tried to help my fellow man with love and charity. Nothing has worked as we can see with these madmen running our country. I have turned to the Almighty for help. ;) ;)
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 6614
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:11 am

BobPatterson wrote:
and with no fear of penalties for failure to meet their obligations..


without conducting a proper census i am pretty sure that most international treaties are based on good-will, and not on enforcement mechanisms.

In the meantime some 17 countries have above 90% renewable for electricity, 18 more have more than 70%, including North Korea btw, 22 have reached more than 50% and just about the majority of nations has reached 30% or better. The US conservatives favorites, India, Mexico and China have all surpassed the USA in renewable electricity share.

For a hoax and conspiracy against the US economy this whole climate change/energiewende stuff becomes some pretty convincing acting......

best regards
Thomas
Times are changing: 70 years ago the USA went to war to defeat the Nazis, now they elect them to run their country.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Topic Author
Posts: 3740
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:21 am

This isn't America or Trump bashing, with all its flaws, all countries are behind the Paris agreement at the moment. I do not know of any accord which has been signed by all the world's countries. So yes it is historic.

And yes, if Trump did decide to pull out of the agreement, America rightfully should be put to shame for endangering the world as one of the foremost polluters per capita and in absolute numbers. Luckily some states, cities, companies, and individuals do take their responsibility.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
mad99
Posts: 1021
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:33 am

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:08 am

i think this is a mistake for the USA, short term gain but a long term loss. I remember listing to the radio last summer and it was announced that Scotland had generated enough renewable energy that day to power itself. Granted it was a sunny and windy day but that the future most of us want.

It costs money to do this but money can be made as well
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Topic Author
Posts: 3740
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:10 am

mad99 wrote:
i think this is a mistake for the USA, short term gain but a long term loss. I remember listing to the radio last summer and it was announced that Scotland had generated enough renewable energy that day to power itself. Granted it was a sunny and windy day but that the future most of us want.

It costs money to do this but money can be made as well


Denmark produced more green electricity then they used on a particular day, it was a stormy day so that's the reason, but nevertheless interesting.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
tommy1808
Posts: 6614
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:25 am

Dutchy wrote:
Denmark produced more green electricity then they used on a particular day, it was a stormy day so that's the reason, but nevertheless interesting.


Denmark should be somewhere ~60% average and they have 100% more than just once, even Germany with ~40% renewable had its first 100% renewable time sometime last year.

And despite all the money being poured into it, which by GOP logic makes you so utterly noncompetitive in a globalized market, first economy experts in Germany warn of economic overheating .....

Probably just implementing the Kreml´s plan to keep the US as fossil dependent as they can, since that is good for Russia´s Budget.

best regards
Thomas
Times are changing: 70 years ago the USA went to war to defeat the Nazis, now they elect them to run their country.
 
MSPbrandon
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:48 am

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:58 pm

I thought Russia's against it too?
 
User avatar
mad99
Posts: 1021
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:33 am

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:11 pm

Spain is second to Germany in wind power and once solar ramps up we'll be selling it to others! You really can't complain too much about the weather here.

Imagine producing more then you need and all renewable! I hope that day comes soon.
 
StarAC17
Posts: 3455
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:54 am

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:47 pm

mad99 wrote:
i think this is a mistake for the USA, short term gain but a long term loss. I remember listing to the radio last summer and it was announced that Scotland had generated enough renewable energy that day to power itself. Granted it was a sunny and windy day but that the future most of us want.

It costs money to do this but money can be made as well


Costa Rica, by no means a developed country on the level of the US/Canada and the EU was able to run on renewables for 76 straight days.

https://www.sciencealert.com/costa-rica ... s-straight

Granted the goal should be 100% renewable but even if countries would knock 10 to 20% off their emissions it would still have an impact. Let innovation reign as there are more jobs in renewable energy than jobs in the fossil fuel industry.

Another thing that needs to be addressed is our farming practices and the fact that the global demand for beef is a large cause to climate change and that needs to be addressed as well.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!
 
UltimoTiger777
Posts: 306
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:19 pm

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:27 pm

Syria joining this agreement means nothing in the grand scheme of things although given how many people have left the country, they certainly have done their bit to reduce emissions haven't they?
 
WIederling
Posts: 4366
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:47 pm

UltimoTiger777 wrote:
Syria joining this agreement means nothing in the grand scheme of things although given how many people have left the country, they certainly have done their bit to reduce emissions haven't they?


It cements the impression that Syria has higher moral standing than the US.
gestures count.
Murphy is an optimist
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Topic Author
Posts: 3740
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:48 pm

UltimoTiger777 wrote:
Syria joining this agreement means nothing in the grand scheme of things although given how many people have left the country, they certainly have done their bit to reduce emissions haven't they?


You are a bit of a cynic, aren't you?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
tommy1808
Posts: 6614
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:38 am

Dutchy wrote:
UltimoTiger777 wrote:
Syria joining this agreement means nothing in the grand scheme of things although given how many people have left the country, they certainly have done their bit to reduce emissions haven't they?


You are a bit of a cynic, aren't you?


they will need lots of concrete to rebuild, and CO2 wise concrete isn´t all that good.......

best regards
Thomas
Times are changing: 70 years ago the USA went to war to defeat the Nazis, now they elect them to run their country.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Topic Author
Posts: 3740
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:42 pm

And Europe is moving forward.....

https://ec.europa.eu/clima/news/eu-emis ... ers-eus_en

Too little, but it is a step.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 10876
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:46 pm

It must be time to start sanctions against the US. Start hurting US corporations and they will get the govt to change direction.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Topic Author
Posts: 3740
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:48 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
It must be time to start sanctions against the US. Start hurting US corporations and they will get the govt to change direction.


I think in the end this will happen to countries who don't conform to the 2 degrees maximum because they are putting the world in danger. I think under the current administration, there are quite a few nutcases, I am an optimist, so I think America will come to their senses and it doesn't have to come to that.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 3146
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:13 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
It must be time to start sanctions against the US. Start hurting US corporations and they will get the govt to change direction.

Yes, indeed. Let's go after a select group of international traders. That can't hurt YOUR exports or imports, or quality of life.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 6614
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:55 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
It must be time to start sanctions against the US. Start hurting US corporations and they will get the govt to change direction.

Yes, indeed. Let's go after a select group of international traders. That can't hurt YOUR exports or imports, or quality of life.


In the long run it will improve quality of life, regardless of short or mid-term consequences.

And you often like to complain about lacking enforcement mechanisms, what else do you think those would be aside of sanctions?

Best regards
Thomas
Times are changing: 70 years ago the USA went to war to defeat the Nazis, now they elect them to run their country.
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 3146
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:22 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
It must be time to start sanctions against the US. Start hurting US corporations and they will get the govt to change direction.

Yes, indeed. Let's go after a select group of international traders. That can't hurt YOUR exports or imports, or quality of life.


In the long run it will improve quality of life, regardless of short or mid-term consequences.

And you often like to complain about lacking enforcement mechanisms, what else do you think those would be aside of sanctions?

Best regards
Thomas

Any form of penalty can be considered a sanction, whether a ban on product(s), tariffs, monetary fine........whatever.

I have no problem with such sanctions provided that there is a level playing field and sanctions are assessed for failure to meet reasonable contractual obligations.

But first, there needs to be a reasonable international treaty, not the farce that is the Paris accords.

The USA is not signatory to a treaty. I'd love to see us be part of a climate change treaty.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Topic Author
Posts: 3740
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:38 pm

The current US administration will not sign any treaty because the current administration believes in fairy tales. The world needs to act now, so I have no problem with a high import tax on products which aren't produced in accordance with the Paris treaty.

I don't care about your judgment of the Paris accords, the rest of the world moves on and the US is left behind, but the coal miners keep on cheering Trump, but their jobs will never return.............
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 3146
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:59 pm

Dutchy wrote:
The current US administration will not sign any treaty because the current administration believes in fairy tales. The world needs to act now, so I have no problem with a high import tax on products which aren't produced in accordance with the Paris treaty.

I don't care about your judgment of the Paris accords, the rest of the world moves on and the US is left behind, but the coal miners keep on cheering Trump, but their jobs will never return.............

USA administrations may propose treaties, but they do not "sign them" in the sense of bringing them into force. Only the US Senate can do that.

President Obama tried to side step that reality by trying to commit us to an "accord", not a treaty.

Since you don't care about my judgment I suppose it is senseless for me to attempt to debate the issue with you.

The Paris Climate Accord is mere showmanship on the world stage. If it ever evolves into a thing of substance we might have something to talk about.

In the meantime, be comfortable within your "we are doing something" cocoon.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Topic Author
Posts: 3740
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:09 pm

You have a very American nationalistic view. The world is bigger than America and certainly than American politics. Als long as you keep saying the world needs an official treaty with America and done in an exact way America wants, or in your words: reasonable international treaty.

And like I said, I don't care anymore about anyone's opinion who doesn't want to be part of the solution.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 3146
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:18 pm

Dutchy wrote:
You have a very American nationalistic view. The world is bigger than America and certainly than American politics. Als long as you keep saying the world needs an official treaty with America and done in an exact way America wants, or in your words: reasonable international treaty.

And like I said, I don't care anymore about anyone's opinion who doesn't want to be part of the solution.

The United States will always be "part of the solution" with respect to lessening climate change.

Your myopia can't and won't change that.

What you really mean is that you are incapable of dealing with opinions other than your own.

"Your" solution is not the only possible solution.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Topic Author
Posts: 3740
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:24 pm

Nope. calling me names will not change that either. But we have been all over that: ad hominem again from you, so you loose.

And BTW "my solution" is simply the same as academics --> energy transition and energy saving measures, not too hard to understand now is it.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 3146
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:31 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Nope. calling me names will not change that either.

Be so good as to point out the "names" I called you.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Topic Author
Posts: 3740
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:03 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Nope. calling me names will not change that either.

Be so good as to point out the "names" I called you.


*sigh* your normal "debating style, you are an adult of reasonably intelligence, you figure it out yourself.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 3146
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:18 pm

Dutchy wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Nope. calling me names will not change that either.

Be so good as to point out the "names" I called you.


*sigh* your normal "debating style, you are an adult of reasonably intelligence, you figure it out yourself.

There is nothing to figure out. You hurl these false charges with abandon. What you should do is abandon the practice and replace it with honesty.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Topic Author
Posts: 3740
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:21 pm

lol.....
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
UltimoTiger777
Posts: 306
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:19 pm

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:33 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
It must be time to start sanctions against the US. Start hurting US corporations and they will get the govt to change direction.


I doubt that many countries want to pick that kind of a fight against the worlds largest economy given what the consequences might be for themselves.
 
WIederling
Posts: 4366
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:42 am

BobPatterson wrote:
But first, there needs to be a reasonable international treaty, not the farce that is the Paris accords.

The USA is not signatory to a treaty. I'd love to see us be part of a climate change treaty.


The Paris accords were the smallest set of objectives ( mostly tempered down by/for US demands ) that
had a chance of getting signed. Even from that "windelweich" accord the US wants to retreat at the earliest
date possible.
So pray tell me how you envision a "reasonable" treaty that would garner the US as a reliable signatory while still presenting effective measures?

Per carbon and energy trail attached to consumed products the US is really looting the planet and
completely unwilling to change that without hard external force applied.

While China rather silently is making good progress all on its own.
Murphy is an optimist
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Topic Author
Posts: 3740
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:39 am

UltimoTiger777 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
It must be time to start sanctions against the US. Start hurting US corporations and they will get the govt to change direction.


I doubt that many countries want to pick that kind of a fight against the worlds largest economy given what the consequences might be for themselves.


What do you think climate change does for a country, what consequences that has.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
tommy1808
Posts: 6614
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:24 am

BobPatterson wrote:
The USA is not signatory to a treaty. I'd love to see us be part of a climate change treaty.


The beauty of international law is that you don't have to be signatory for it to be binding.

And since pretty much everyone is doing more against climate change than the Trump administration, the farce item is also a fairly non-sensical talking point. If it was a farce, that wouldn't be happening.

Best regards
Thomas
Times are changing: 70 years ago the USA went to war to defeat the Nazis, now they elect them to run their country.
 
UltimoTiger777
Posts: 306
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:19 pm

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:10 pm

Dutchy wrote:

What do you think climate change does for a country, what consequences that has.


The consequences of the former (trading war) are going to be felt before the consequences of the latter.

Good luck though. The Netherlands exports about $19 billion to the US. I'm sure you could easily cope with the shortfall of just cutting that off to force compliance with a treaty they aren't signed up to.
 
Newark727
Posts: 1446
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:14 pm

"We may recklessly murder thousands of our own citizens and set off an international refugee crisis, but at least we're committed to slowing global climate change!" What a time to be alive.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Topic Author
Posts: 3740
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:18 pm

UltimoTiger777 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

What do you think climate change does for a country, what consequences that has.


The consequences of the former (trading war) are going to be felt before the consequences of the latter.

Good luck though. The Netherlands exports about $19 billion to the US. I'm sure you could easily cope with the shortfall of just cutting that off to force compliance with a treaty they aren't signed up to.


It will not be The Netherlands alone, if something is going to happen like that, it will be the EU and China. In the end what is not sustainable, will not continue, so the question is when not if the US will comform.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
UltimoTiger777
Posts: 306
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:19 pm

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:35 pm

Dutchy wrote:

It will not be The Netherlands alone, if something is going to happen like that, it will be the EU and China.


Good luck getting all the EU member states to agree then.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Topic Author
Posts: 3740
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:19 pm

UltimoTiger777 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

It will not be The Netherlands alone, if something is going to happen like that, it will be the EU and China.


Good luck getting all the EU member states to agree then.


So you are ok with America just don't give a damn and you expect the world to, oh ok, no problem.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
UltimoTiger777
Posts: 306
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:19 pm

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:54 pm

You're the one who thinks the whole world is going to join hands, sing "Kumbya" and fight the US.

No problems there at all, it'll all go swimmingly.
 
WIederling
Posts: 4366
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:18 pm

Newark727 wrote:
"We may recklessly murder thousands of our own citizens and set off an international refugee crisis, but at least we're committed to slowing global climate change!" What a time to be alive.


contrast with US achievements:
we've laid waste to a number of nations recently and tomorrow we will work on the full globe.
Murphy is an optimist
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Topic Author
Posts: 3740
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:43 pm

UltimoTiger777 wrote:
You're the one who thinks the whole world is going to join hands, sing "Kumbya" and fight the US.

No problems there at all, it'll all go swimmingly.



Nope, it is a necessity (point).

What I can see happening is that taxes will eventually even it out, damage done by emissions versus normal products.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
windy95
Posts: 2682
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:11 pm

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:42 pm

Let Syria join the rest of the one world lemmings as they jump off the cliff. Oh wait Syria has already gone over the edge.
 
windy95
Posts: 2682
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:11 pm

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:47 pm

Dutchy wrote:
UltimoTiger777 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
It must be time to start sanctions against the US. Start hurting US corporations and they will get the govt to change direction.


I doubt that many countries want to pick that kind of a fight against the worlds largest economy given what the consequences might be for themselves.


What do you think climate change does for a country, what consequences that has.


The climate has always been changing so we know exactly what to do as a country as it continues it's ever changing ways.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Topic Author
Posts: 3740
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:08 pm

windy95 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
UltimoTiger777 wrote:

I doubt that many countries want to pick that kind of a fight against the worlds largest economy given what the consequences might be for themselves.


What do you think climate change does for a country, what consequences that has.


The climate has always been changing so we know exactly what to do as a country as it continues it's ever changing ways.


Selfish and foolish answer.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 10876
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:51 am

BobPatterson wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
It must be time to start sanctions against the US. Start hurting US corporations and they will get the govt to change direction.

Yes, indeed. Let's go after a select group of international traders. That can't hurt YOUR exports or imports, or quality of life.


The US has no problem placing sanctions which cost Europe money so I don’t see why the favour can’t be returned.
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 10876
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Syria Joins Paris Climate Accord, Leaving Only U.S. Opposed

Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:59 am

Dutchy wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Nope. calling me names will not change that either.

Be so good as to point out the "names" I called you.


*sigh* your normal "debating style, you are an adult of reasonably intelligence, you figure it out yourself.


Bob didn’t call you any names.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: flyingturtle, OMP777X and 54 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos