Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tommy1808

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:07 am

Pyrex wrote:
The link you yourself quoted says, on top, that taxable income equals gross income less allowable tax deductions...

"allowable deductions" and costs isn´t exactly the same.

I mean, even the IRS itself calls it double taxation...

Well, i guess the IRS hasn´t gotten the message from the supreme court yet. If companies are people, no person has been taxed twice. Also, if companies are people, then shareholder are slave-owners ......

Given the amount of free time you have to constantly spew anti-American crap on this site, I would guess some sort of Russian troll farm operative.

Well, from what you are posting one would assume you have no education whatsoever, so it is always difficult to judge from postings.

and would thus necessitate an increase in prices.

So? Marco-economically you can also expect available income to increase for everybody else, as the average taxation on all non-cooperations would shrink accordingly. Usually that would of cause screw over low income families, but it would be entirely possible to set up a tax/tax credit system that is neutral in purchasing power, yet taxes Wall-Mart at 20%.

And of course if a commodity vendor like Walmart can have a profit margin of almost 5%, then the US market is seriously lacking competition, unless that was an outstanding successful year.

best regards
Thomas

flipdewaf

Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:15 am

zkojq wrote:
NoTime wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
2. The ever powerful and loving being known as God is neither all powerful nor all loving and caring. A supreme being, which loves and protects his followers, would not have allowed such a thing to happen and such a being, with the capability to control how events unfold (his Divine Plan) would have made it so that the gunman was never able to fire a single shot. But still, the gunman killed people. So that leads me to conclude the following:

God is not all powerful or merciful; if he is either one, this even would have not happened. If he is neither, he does not deserve the title of "God"...and if he is both (and this is just part of the Divine Plan), then he is a sadistic being who enjoys torturing his worshippers.

3. Christian conservatives work harder than the liberal atheist. However, they must not be thinking and praying hard enough or correctly; otherwise these events would never even happen...I mean, that's what happens when you ask someone else to do the job for you.

For someone with such a limited understanding of the Christian faith to attempt to make this type of argument would be laughable if it wasn't so sad. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that Christians, however devout, will be spared suffering and/or death. If anything, suffering, persecution and death are to be expected.

:checkmark: So much this. The bible makes it quite clear that those who choose to follow Christ are not in for an easy ride.

What is gods role then? If he isn't removing the worst kinds of suffering from the world then we should assume he has no power over the lives in earth (surely suffering is the first bit to solve) why would one bother to pray?

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zkojq

Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:43 am

[quote="flipdewaf"][/quote]
What does it matter to you? Nothing I say is going to change your mind. The hurt, pain, suffering and brokenness here (both in the literal sense of the shooting and in the wider sense where the US's culture is so broken that gun ownership is so easy, common etc, even for nutjobs) is man's doing, not god's.

tommy1808

Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:51 am

zkojq wrote:
is man's doing, not god's.

of course it is. In the same sense Gaius Baltar is not responsible for people living on earth.

best regards
Thomas

flipdewaf

Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:04 am

zkojq wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:

What does it matter to you? Nothing I say is going to change your mind. The hurt, pain, suffering and brokenness here (both in the literal sense of the shooting and in the wider sense where the US's culture is so broken that gun ownership is so easy, common etc, even for nutjobs) is man's doing, not god's.

Every thing that man does is mans doing. Nothing that happens is gods doing. Humans waste such a lot of time and resources into religion, imagine the good that could be achieved in the world if we spent those resources on something useful.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pyrex

Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:09 pm

seb146 wrote:
And they can both claim that those profits and margins came from other countries so they pay even less in taxes.

Or they legitimately have sizable operations in foreign countries (as Wal-Mart does). Their effective tax rate is 30.3%, but remember, they have plenty of actual physical stores throughout the world. Apple's case is a bit more iffy, as there is a lot more playing around they can do with patents, intellectual property, etc., and their effective tax rate (24.6%) lower.

In any case, if that is a concern for you, you should be all over the new Republican tax plan, which will impose a one-time deemed repatriation of foreign income and crack down on the patent / IP loophole that big Tech and Pharma companies use.

seb146 wrote:
Still has zero to do with the murder of church goers.

Totally agree with you there - I was not the one who brought taxation into this thread, but could not allow your friend Tommy Boy to spew his usual nonsense about taxation on something completely unrelated in the hopes someone naive enough would believe him.

Pyrex

Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:31 pm

tommy1808 wrote:

"allowable deductions" and costs isn´t exactly the same.

Of course they are not. Neither are the "costs" companies can deduct from their income. In the end of the day, whether taxed at the personal or corporate level, there has to be an actual justification that an expense was legitimately incurred in the general course of business for it to qualify. On top of that, there are all sorts of distortions politicians introduce to the tax code, whether on the recognition of revenue side or on the expense side, to promote certain types of behaviors and punish others, or simply to acknowledge an economic reality (an insurance payout is not "income" because if my house burns down and it costs $100k to repair, I am not better off than I was before just because I received a $90k payout, after my $10k deductible). But the fact that, in certain circumstances, a corporation can elect to be treated as a pass-through level, and thus have all its income and expenses taxed at the personal level, shows how the basic rules and principles on recognition of income and expenses are the same for individuals and corporations.

tommy1808 wrote:
Well, i guess the IRS hasn´t gotten the message from the supreme court yet. If companies are people, no person has been taxed twice.

Ah, so now we get to the crux of it. I knew this is where we would end up eventually - your basic lack of understanding of Citizens United, which is dwarfed only by your basic lack of understanding of how taxation works. Certain corporations in the U.S. have always been allowed to spend as much money as they wanted on campaigns - the New York Times, CNN, Washington Post, MSNBC and Fox News, for instance, did just that. All Citizens United did was extend that concept to all other corporations. This is obviously the correct position, as the U.S. Constitution does not give government the right to define who / what is considered "the press" and who is not.

As a German citizen / Russian troll masquerading as a German, you have no concept of freedom of speech, so you naturally think it is perfectly normal for a Government to have the power to arbitrarily determine who is the "press" and who is not. Fortunately, in their wisdom, the writers of the U.S. Constitution understood the huge potential negative implications of that, and never gave the government the power to do that.

tommy1808

Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:35 pm

Pyrex wrote:
which is dwarfed only by your basic lack of understanding of how taxation works.

Considering the other threat this coming from you was at least good for a laugh.

best regards
Thomas

BobPatterson

Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:37 pm

Pyrex wrote:
As a German citizen / Russian troll masquerading as a German, you have no concept of freedom of speech, ..........

Tommy1808 surely requires no support from me in holding up his end of debate, especially when economics is involved.

I have, on occasion, differed with him on issues, and have always found him to be honorable in opposition (even when being somewhat sly and crafty about it :-) ).

I wish that I could say the same thing for you who, I assume, is not masquerading as an American, but is merely a poor representation of one.

Russian troll, indeed.

MaverickM11

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:25 pm

Another mass shooting, including kids at an elementary school. Hopefully there are enough thoughts and prayers left since the last two
http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/14/us/califo ... index.html

bgm

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:33 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Another mass shooting, including kids at an elementary school. Hopefully there are enough thoughts and prayers left since the last two

America's civil war continues unabated.

seb146

Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:03 am

MaverickM11 wrote:

The part of California where this Christian terror attack... oops... I mean "lone wolf attack" (he was White) happened is a part where Christianity and guns are most important. Far right wing tRump supporters.