LittleFokker
Posts: 832
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:25 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:45 am

"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 5830
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:10 am

Another tragic mass shooting. My condolences to the family and friends that were killed and injured in this senseless slaughter.

I don't know the motivations of the shooter at this time, but even if I did, I doubt I could understand that thought path, as the people that perpetrate these crimes are mentally broken from reality. The killer is dead, and now everyone will have to pick up the pieces and figure out what happened.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 2756
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:18 am

bgm wrote:
How about a little less 'thoughts and prayers' and a little more 'gun control'?

The former clearly isn't working, perhaps, maybe, the latter will (of course, we have no idea because gun control is a totally new concept that has never been tried anywhere else in the world...)

Nice thought, but let's face it - if 20+little kids at Sandy Hook, a bunch of people out having a good time at a nightclub in Orlando and almost 60 people attending a concert in Las Vegas being mowed down didn't get any meaningful legislation on sensible gun control, 26 more at a church service ain't gonna change anything either. This is just another day in 'Murica. It's not even shocking anymore..........
 
User avatar
maortega15
Posts: 348
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:52 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:24 am

You're not safe anywhere in the U.S. Not school, not church, Target or Walmart, not a sporting event or concert. The only place you're safe really is the comforts of your own home.

How long till some nut shoots up a neighborhood block, an apartment complex, a hospital or a retirement home?!

Third world countries don't even have this problem.
 
socalgeo
Posts: 408
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:56 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:31 am

scbriml wrote:
socalgeo wrote:
Whatever - you know exactly who you are. Only a small minded troll like you would enjoy a mass shooting and use the rotfl emoji.


Swing and a miss, champ. The :rotfl: was aimed at you, not the shooting or the victims (for whom I have nothing but sympathy).

My ire and sarcasm is aimed at those that jump up to offer "thoughts and prayers"™(thanks, salttee), yet do nothing about the insanity.

So, what do you want to do to fix this insanity? Assuming you think it needs fixing.

Only a small minded troll like you would think it appropriate to laugh at the victims in a thread about a mass shooting. To find any humor in this situation is sick. I'm glad that I'll never meet you in person because I'm sure that you would nauseate me.
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 3199
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:33 am

maortega15 wrote:
You're not safe anywhere in the U.S. Not school, not church, Target or Walmart, not a sporting event or concert. The only place you're safe really is the comforts of your own home.

How long till some nut shoots up a neighborhood block, an apartment complex, a hospital or a retirement home?!

Third world countries don't even have this problem.

Try Googling "Suicide Bombers" on their way to paradise.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 3199
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:40 am

socalgeo wrote:
Only a small minded troll like you .......

Calling others "a vile human being" and "a small minded troll" is usually recognized as an act of desperation by one who has already lost the argument.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
User avatar
OA412
Moderator
Posts: 4273
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2000 6:22 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:40 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
Oh yawn. Please, Ken Paxton literally that morning posted something to the effect of "you reap what you sew". Well kids, Ken and NRA puppets everywhere are reaping today for sure.

Actually it was Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, but since we're talking about TX politicians, I can see how you'd be confused. :lol: Anywho, this is the gem of a tweet he posted the morning of the Pulse shooting:

Image
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West
 
NoTime
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:21 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:44 am

seb146 wrote:
A white Christian guy with a gun, so we can not politicize this and we can not make laws or have executive orders. Go back to normal, everyone. Nothing to see here. Move along.


Much like after a Muslim immigrant killed a bunch of people with his truck.
 
johns624
Posts: 1548
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:45 am

Carrying a gun in church is illegal in most states. In some states, you can but must have the written permission of the pastor.
 
greasespot
Posts: 2959
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:48 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:11 am

THe department of thoughts and prayers(TAP) will be activated and that is all they will do. The USA just doesn't care about this and guns are more important than lives.
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 6993
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:13 am

socalgeo wrote:
Wow - you actually wrote that how I have taken what you have said is

"likely more a reflection of how you think and feel (the old adage: we hate most in others what we dislike about ourselves) than anything else. "

So you are saying that my reaction is because I hate Christians? How friggin ridiculous is that? WTF

What a vile human being you are.

Predictable. And of course not what I said ("hate Christians" you are the one saying that, not me. Honestly, read the post again.).

My question to you: What happened to just being a decent person?

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner
 
socalgeo
Posts: 408
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:56 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:24 am

BobPatterson wrote:
socalgeo wrote:
Only a small minded troll like you .......

Calling others "a vile human being" and "a small minded troll" is usually recognized as an act of desperation by one who has already lost the argument.

There is no argument to lose. I'm not having an argument, and I'm certainly not desperate. Making fun of the victims of any tragedy is vile, small minded, and in the case of some here, simple trolling. Just because the victims are Christians doesn't make is OK. This behavior wouldn't have been tolerated on this forum after the Pulse tragedy, and its not acceptable now.
 
socalgeo
Posts: 408
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:56 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:27 am

Tugger wrote:

My question to you: What happened to just being a decent person?


Whatever dude. Go ahead and proceed with making fun of the victims beliefs. You will hear no more from me on it. Enjoy it. i hope that it satisfies whatever need you are trying to fill.
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 6993
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:37 am

socalgeo wrote:
Tugger wrote:

My question to you: What happened to just being a decent person?


Whatever dude. Go ahead and proceed with making fun of the victims beliefs. You will hear no more from me on it. Enjoy it. i hope that it satisfies whatever need you are trying to fill.

I can't stop you from making things up or lying so it will be good to hear no more from you on it. You are lashing out vigorously at people who do and did nothing to these people. I wish you well.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner
 
salttee
Posts: 1558
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:26 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:45 am

socalgeo wrote:
Tugger wrote:
Most importantly, you must remember this is all part of God's plan! He has a purpose, he wants people to die in church for the purpose of... the purpose of... well it's a higher purpose and you cannot think that you could know God's min. Just know that He is good, and this had a purpose, and is part of His plan.

My thoughts and condolences to the victims in this attack and their families.

Tugg

You are a vile human being. You and others here are making light of the fact that these victims are christians. You would not have tolerated this kind of gleeful sarcasm after the Pulse nightclub shooting, yet it's ok just because you despise the beliefs of the victims.

Disgusting

Socalgeo aren't you paused by the irony that comes to the surface when one reflects that the people who "trust in God" are the same ones who want the people to have unlimited access to guns, while it is the athiests who by and large (statistically) want some sort of gun control?

Do you understand that Tugger is referring to that dichotomy?
 
salttee
Posts: 1558
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:26 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:50 am

NoTime wrote:
[Nowhere in the Bible does it say that Christians, however devout, will be spared suffering and/or death. If anything, suffering, persecution and death are to be expected.

My aren't you the devout Old Testament kind of guy.

I realize there are other kinds out there, but all the Christians I know gloss over that kind of dogma and see the Christian Religion as a healing entity.
 
Ken777
Topic Author
Posts: 9413
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:39 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:04 am

KLDC10 wrote:
You could just cover the facts for now as the situation unfolds, rather than jumping to conclusions and rushing to make uninformed statements (and yes, your statements are uninformed because we barely have any information about what has happened). "Another Seconds Amendment" doesn't even make sense as a statement.

The only information at the time of writing is as follows:
- There are multiple casualties, number unconfirmed.
- The gunman is dead
- The police are in control of the scene

We do not know anything about motivation, which you have for some reason chosen to link immediately to the Second Amendment.


First, I use "Second Amendment Event" for shooter events with multiple injuries and/or deaths. Today's "event" clearly meets that standard.

At the time of my opening post all the information available was 15 or more wounded and multiple deaths.

There was no information on the shooter at the time I posted.

While there was no discussion of the police being in control I have no doubts that the Sheriff's office, area police and other emergency services were moving towards the area but, again, I posted the facts as CNN & MSNBC.

As for the NRA comment, have they made any major statements yet?
 
usflyer msp
Posts: 2693
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:09 am

This further confirms my desire to raise my children outside of the US. I refuse to let them grow up feeling that nowhere is safe. My condo in Colombia is looking better every day - I might get shot there but at least it would be for a reason like robbery not just because some dude is mad at the world and has unfetterd access to military grade weapons...
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 15922
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:17 am

OA412 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Oh yawn. Please, Ken Paxton literally that morning posted something to the effect of "you reap what you sew". Well kids, Ken and NRA puppets everywhere are reaping today for sure.

Actually it was Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, but since we're talking about TX politicians, I can see how you'd be confused. :lol: Anywho, this is the gem of a tweet he posted the morning of the Pulse shooting:

Image

Ugh all the crazies are starting to look the same. Ken Paxton/Dan Patrick/Greg Abbott...tomato/tomahto/Jim Jones

NoTime wrote:
seb146 wrote:
A white Christian guy with a gun, so we can not politicize this and we can not make laws or have executive orders. Go back to normal, everyone. Nothing to see here. Move along.


Much like after a Muslim immigrant killed a bunch of people with his truck.

We should be so lucky as to have a proportionate response to this shooting as we did to that Muslim running people over in NYC
E pur si muove -Galileo
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 14231
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:33 am

Awful, just awful. What the hell is the matter with people?

Interesting to note that someone who was ineligible to own a firearm somehow had one, a designated “gun free zone” only protected the shooter, and yes, he was ultimately stopped by a good guy with a gun.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
NoTime
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:21 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:35 am

salttee wrote:
NoTime wrote:
[Nowhere in the Bible does it say that Christians, however devout, will be spared suffering and/or death. If anything, suffering, persecution and death are to be expected.

My aren't you the devout Old Testament kind of guy.

I realize there are other kinds out there, but all the Christians I know gloss over that kind of dogma and see the Christian Religion as a healing entity.


It's not Old Testament at all, you'll find plenty of verses in the New Testament warning of persecution and suffering for Christians... and I'm not particularly devout.
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 3199
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:40 am

usflyer msp wrote:
This further confirms my desire to raise my children outside of the US. I refuse to let them grow up feeling that nowhere is safe. My condo in Colombia is looking better every day - I might get shot there but at least it would be for a reason like robbery not just because some dude is mad at the world and has unfetterd access to military grade weapons...

If I'm not mistaken, gun violence is 2.5 times as frequent in Colombia than in the United States (per 100,000 population). Of course, there are areas in each country that are much safer than others.

To suggest that nowhere is safe in the USA ignores reality.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
NoTime
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:21 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:12 am

Mir wrote:
NoTime wrote:
Initial reports indicate that an armed citizen engaged the killer and helped end the rampage.


Not really. The killer was only engaged after he was leaving the church. Damage was done at that point.


"Authorities said the armed neighbor may have saved countless lives by opening fire on Kelley and forcing him to flee the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs during his 11:30 a.m. massacre." - http://nypost.com/2017/11/05/hero-neigh ... ch-gunman/
 
seb146
Posts: 15556
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:00 am

Are we just going to ignore the fact that this happened in a state that has next to no gun laws? Why did the shooter have a gun? One word: Texas.
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 5714
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:51 am

And a guy with a gun seems to have stopped the shooter. So this is a case for more guns.
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 10883
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:53 am

NoTime wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
As the NRA mantra goes citizens with guns are the best defence against citizens with guns, being a Baptist church it was surely full of second admendment types armed to the teeth?


Initial reports indicate that an armed citizen engaged the killer and helped end the rampage. Not that I would expect that to stop you from bathing in the blood of the dead in an attempt to score political points.


After he had left the church, which was after he killed 27 people, the citizen with a gun was too late to the party and stopped nothing.

I have no political points to score, I’m not American, you people can murder each other in ever increasing numbers, and none of your politicians have the balls to do anything about it because of some silly scrap of paper.

Don’t you get it the rest of the world it laughing at you, you can’t sort out gun control and you don’t have universal healthcare, every other first world country beats you in those key points.
Last edited by Kiwirob on Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 10883
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:57 am

SOBHI51 wrote:
Devin Patrick Kelley seems to be the name of the shooter, so not a Muslim, just a crazy guy.


He’s got one of those Muslim looking beards, he could have been a convert ;)
 
User avatar
SOBHI51
Posts: 3910
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:32 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:18 am

Kiwirob wrote:
SOBHI51 wrote:
Devin Patrick Kelley seems to be the name of the shooter, so not a Muslim, just a crazy guy.


He’s got one of those Muslim looking beards, he could have been a convert ;)


We have enough crazy people of our own we don't need any new one's. Thank but no thanks. :roll:
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam
 
User avatar
notaxonrotax
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:49 am

seahawk wrote:
And a guy with a gun seems to have stopped the shooter.


If indeed this is the case, it would be a huge exception looking at the other large mass shootings of late.

I don't have enough evidence that the "good guy" did save lives with his gun though. If he did, good for him! But that would make an argument that will be milked by the NRA, Trump and other bullet-buddies for years and years to come.
Oh my....

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 824
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:03 am

na wrote:
Here we go (so soon) again.

Wild West gun laws = Wild West results.

Wonder how long the US can still afford to stay back in 19th century Dodge City.


Reality Check....

Sometime after Trump wins his 2nd term, and the House & Senate are full of mid-term Trumpers... The SCOTUS will be loaded up with textual originalists, and we will be going back to the 1950's, minus the racism and sexism...

:checkeredflag:
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
User avatar
Thunderboltdrgn
Posts: 1856
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:39 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:20 am

Mir wrote:
socalgeo wrote:

Calling it "Gods plan" as a sarcastic way to make fun of the victims is anything but factual. It's vile.


It's the same logic the GOP has been using for more than a decade when they offer 'thoughts and prayers' and nothing else. Are they making fun of them?

Let's not lie to ourselves: the system is functioning as it was designed. You get to have ever-loosening gun laws, and every so often a bunch of people get sacrificed on the altar of the NRA. That's the way we've decided things should go. And lo and behold, they do. Even calling them 'victims' is kind of dishonest - their deaths are features, not bugs. Just a cost of doing business.

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
Kelley is a former U.S. Air Force member who served from 2010 to 2014. He received a dishonorable discharge and was court martialed in May 2014, CBS News has learned."


I'm pretty sure a dishonorable discharge is disqualifying from purchasing a gun. I'm curious to know how he got his.


It's seems now that it was a "bad conduct discharge".:
"Kelley was court-martialed in 2012 for assault on his spouse and assault on their child, according to Stefanek. Kelley served a year in prison and received

a bad conduct discharge in 2014, the spokeswoman said. His rank was also reduced, she said"



as for how he,a man with a known history of violence, could buy a weapon despite being discharged for bad conduct AND serving prison time: no background checks.

"In April 2016, Kelley purchased the Ruger AR-556 rifle he used in the shooting from an Academy Sports & Outdoors store in San Antonio, Texas,
a law enforcement official said. He indicated he didn't have a disqualifying criminal history when he filled out the background check paperwork at the store,
the official said. Kelley listed a Colorado Springs, Colorado, address when he bought the gun. "


http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/05/us/te ... index.html
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente
 
User avatar
DarkSnowyNight
Posts: 1896
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:25 am

Mir wrote:
Hey, the God of Guns has to get his sacrifices somehow, right?

Anyway, the Giants are really sucking today. I mean, the season is over already, but they're just embarrassing themselves. Who would have ever thought that the Jets would be the best NFL team in NYC, and that it wouldn't be particularly close?


I heard they had a bye week last week. And still lost. I'm just happy the Cowboys beat KC. It's nice knowing we beat the team that beat the Pats.


ER757 wrote:
bgm wrote:
How about a little less 'thoughts and prayers' and a little more 'gun control'?

The former clearly isn't working, perhaps, maybe, the latter will (of course, we have no idea because gun control is a totally new concept that has never been tried anywhere else in the world...)

Nice thought, but let's face it - if 20+little kids at Sandy Hook, a bunch of people out having a good time at a nightclub in Orlando and almost 60 people attending a concert in Las Vegas being mowed down didn't get any meaningful legislation on sensible gun control, 26 more at a church service ain't gonna change anything either. This is just another day in 'Murica. It's not even shocking anymore..........



Couldn't agree more. Pray to a god that's ok with this (all 'mysterious ways' horseshit aside)? No thanks.
Much like a GE90, I'm a huge fan of Big Twins...
 
WIederling
Posts: 4391
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:47 am

socalgeo wrote:
Only a small minded troll like you would think it appropriate to laugh at the victims in a thread about a mass shooting. To find any humor in this situation is sick. I'm glad that I'll never meet you in person because I'm sure that you would nauseate me.


you are wagging the dog.

Just like "Our soldiers are heroes by defnition. What heroes do must be valiant and good".
( Laying waste to foreign countries is therefor a good deed?)

Putting the question to the surrounding society why they allowed making these people victims is not making fun of victims.
quite the contrary.
Murphy is an optimist
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 14776
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:32 am

socalgeo wrote:
Only a small minded troll like you would think it appropriate to laugh at the victims in a thread about a mass shooting. To find any humor in this situation is sick. I'm glad that I'll never meet you in person because I'm sure that you would nauseate me.


Another swing, another miss!

I laughed at you, not the victims. I made that obvious, but you still managed to miss it. :sarcastic:

So again, what do you want to do to fix the mass shooting insanity?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
Derico
Posts: 4274
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 1999 9:14 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:41 am

The US is Fd-up.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 5822
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:13 am

NoTime wrote:
For someone with such a limited understanding of the Christian faith to attempt to make this type of argument would be laughable if it wasn't so sad. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that Christians, however devout, will be spared suffering and/or death. If anything, suffering, persecution and death are to be expected.

Oh, so that means the being called God may decide it's in his Divine Plan to have people die, right? How wonderful he is to us. He wants me (and/or loved ones) to suffer losses because he cares and wants me to love him back (or else be thrown to the fires of Hell).

And for the record, having gone to Catholic school and having put up with 12 years of religious teachings probably makes me better informed to point out hypocrisies from and within the Christian religion. There's a reason I became an atheist.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
WIederling
Posts: 4391
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:21 am

scbriml wrote:
So again, what do you want to do to fix the mass shooting insanity?


The final word is out ( Trump from East Asia) :

"This is not about guns!"
"Just a demented individual!"
Murphy is an optimist
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 1937
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:41 am

WIederling wrote:
scbriml wrote:
So again, what do you want to do to fix the mass shooting insanity?


The final word is out ( Trump from East Asia) :

"This is not about guns!"
"Just a demented individual!"

It is a huge amount about the demented individual, but now the demented individual is president what is he going to do about the gun problem?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image
 
WIederling
Posts: 4391
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:07 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
but now the demented individual is president what is he going to do about the gun problem?


Images of Trump wielding a gun ( beyond some historic/ceremonial muzzleloader piece ) seem to all be photo shopped fakes.
Murphy is an optimist
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 5822
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:21 pm

I wonder if this could turn the tide a bit in AL's senate race.

Sure, Roy Moore is a pure advocate of guns (pulling one out at an event), but Doug Jones can hammer him by saying that having a gun is not enough and that mental health assessments need to be made. What good is having access to guns if it means mentally impaired individuals can get one just as easily?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
User avatar
bgm
Posts: 1316
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:21 pm

Time to break out the handy "Mass shooting in US checklist":

1. Send thoughts & prayers but not actually do anything useful :checkmark:

2. Argue over semantics of the term "assault rifle" :checkmark:

3. Argue over semantics of the term "terrorist" - if Muslim use it, if Christian/white use term "lone wolf" "mentally ill" "troubled past" :checkmark:

4. Congress does nothing but NRA increases donations just in case :checkmark:

5. Wait for next one, rinse, repeat :checkmark:
"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." -George Carlin
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 4658
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:12 pm

A fair assessment, unfortunately.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
 
User avatar
SheikhDjibouti
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:12 pm

WIederling wrote:
Images of Trump wielding a gun ( beyond some historic/ceremonial muzzleloader piece ) seem to all be photo shopped fakes.


There is so much dirt on my screen, all I got was

.....Trump ...is a historic/ceremonial muzzleloader piece ....that seems to be all fake.

Does that about cover it?
There are two things that happen when you get old.
1. You start to lose your memory.
2. What was I saying again?
 
WIederling
Posts: 4391
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:32 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
There is so much dirt on my screen, all I got was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arDQqWr ... u.be&t=173
Murphy is an optimist
 
Vladex
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:44 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:04 pm

Ban all the guns starting with those that celebrate it , Army, Police, Movies and Video Games. Let's see how that goes.
 
DiamondFlyer
Posts: 2644
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:24 pm

Vladex wrote:
Ban all the guns starting with those that celebrate it , Army, Police, Movies and Video Games. Let's see how that goes.


About as well as the war on drugs or the banning of alcohol did. I find it funny that those that are so vocal for the banning of all guns are the same that are so vocal about how the absolute ban on drugs is a total failure...
From my cold, dead hands
 
seb146
Posts: 15556
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:36 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
Vladex wrote:
Ban all the guns starting with those that celebrate it , Army, Police, Movies and Video Games. Let's see how that goes.


About as well as the war on drugs or the banning of alcohol did. I find it funny that those that are so vocal for the banning of all guns are the same that are so vocal about how the absolute ban on drugs is a total failure...


Or, we could do what a majority of Americans want and have better regulation. Like with alcohol, cars, marijuana.

And, again, it is the right screaming about banning guns. Save that one quote from one Senator 30 years ago the right loves to dig up to "prove" that "all liberals" want to ban guns. You know: one person speaks for the group.... :roll:
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter
 
NoTime
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:21 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:46 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
NoTime wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
As the NRA mantra goes citizens with guns are the best defence against citizens with guns, being a Baptist church it was surely full of second admendment types armed to the teeth?


Initial reports indicate that an armed citizen engaged the killer and helped end the rampage. Not that I would expect that to stop you from bathing in the blood of the dead in an attempt to score political points.


After he had left the church, which was after he killed 27 people, the citizen with a gun was too late to the party and stopped nothing.


Accounts currently vary. But, regardless of the church, who's to say this lunatic wasn't heading elsewhere to kill more people? Or going back to his car to get more weapons?Police reports indicate the "good guy with a gun" hit the killer with one of his shots, and then pursued him... and that the killer had more guns and ammo in his car.

It appears that the flippant "where was the good guy with a gun" statements on this forum are misplaced. There was a "good guy with a gun" and, according to police, he helped the situation.
 
NoTime
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:21 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:55 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
NoTime wrote:
For someone with such a limited understanding of the Christian faith to attempt to make this type of argument would be laughable if it wasn't so sad. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that Christians, however devout, will be spared suffering and/or death. If anything, suffering, persecution and death are to be expected.

Oh, so that means the being called God may decide it's in his Divine Plan to have people die, right? How wonderful he is to us. He wants me (and/or loved ones) to suffer losses because he cares and wants me to love him back (or else be thrown to the fires of Hell).

And for the record, having gone to Catholic school and having put up with 12 years of religious teachings probably makes me better informed to point out hypocrisies from and within the Christian religion. There's a reason I became an atheist.


"For the record," the complete misunderstanding of the Christian faith that you display in your first paragraph pretty much shows that your second paragraph is false. That, or you didn't pay much attention during those 12 years you were in school.

But, hey, the killer was apparently a Christian turned atheist who was always talking about how people who believe in God were stupid. If his understanding and expecttations of the Christian faith were as flawed as yours, you guys probably would've been besties in a different life.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Airstud, Google [Bot], wunala and 9 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos