Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Kidde Fire Extinguisher recall for Plastic Handles

Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:47 am

For any Kidde Fire Extinguishers you have made since 1973 that have a plastic handle or a plastic push button spray nozzle.

Their web site has specifics, depending the model of Kidde Fire Extinguisher you have.

In all cases, besides the Model #, you'll need the Serial #, and for some models, the date code. But the site explains all of that in detail.

Just be sure to press Submit after you list the extinguishers to get your recall ID # for reference.

The web site for the US is https://inmarmarketaction.com/kidde/Kidde284US/

At the Bottom of that page are links to forms for the "Plastic Handle" Fire Extinguishers, and for the "Push Button" Fire Extinguishers. They are submitted separately.

You can also call 855-271-0773 to handle filing a claim over the phone 7:30am-4:00pm CT M-F.

They are gong to ship you the replacement Fire Extinguishers. You keep the ones you have.

https://inmarmarketaction.com/kidde/

DL_Mech

Re: Kidde Fire Extinguisher recall for Plastic Handles

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:37 am

Thanks, I had three. 1992,1997 and 2016

WarRI1

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:11 am

Thanks, I have one.

WarRI1

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:38 am

WarRI1 wrote:
Thanks, I have one.

I submitted a claim for one . It was accepted, 15 to 20 days to receive a replacement. Thanks once again.

dtw2hyd

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:53 am

Thanks for the post. Checked mine they are First Alert not Kiddie. Although I bought both together one had 2007 and another 2009 date code.

On a separate note, where do you guys refill, or just buy new ones? Read somewhere you can go to a local fire station.

fr8mech

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:05 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
On a separate note, where do you guys refill, or just buy new ones? Read somewhere you can go to a local fire station.

Whether you can refill them or not, will depend on the extinguisher type. I doubt any of those affected by, or similar to those affected by, the recall are refillable. As for a fire department refilling them...I doubt it. I suspect some specialized equipment is required. I know the department I served on doesn't refill them, in fact, we sent any extinguisher we used out to be refilled, except for the pressurized water types. Those we did in house.

I have 4 extinguishers that need replacement.

dtw2hyd

Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:13 pm

fr8mech wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

Whether you can refill them or not, will depend on the extinguisher type. I doubt any of those affected by, or similar to those affected by, the recall are refillable. As for a fire department refilling them...I doubt it. I suspect some specialized equipment is required. I know the department I served on doesn't refill them, in fact, we sent any extinguisher we used out to be refilled, except for the pressurized water types. Those we did in house.

I have 4 extinguishers that need replacement.

Thanks fr8 for the info. Instructions suggest getting it serviced every year by a certified facility and mine are eight years old. I think it is too much hassle and more expensive to service than buying new ones.

fr8mech

Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:20 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Thanks fr8 for the info. Instructions suggest getting it serviced every year by a certified facility and mine are eight years old. I think it is too much hassle and more expensive to service than buying new ones.

That all depends on the extinguisher. If the extinguisher says it should be serviced every year, chances are that itis designed to be easily serviced, with the right equipment. It's likely you have a commercial extinguisher, which tend to be fairly expensive to replace, since the guts are probably made of metal vs. plastic, but that's a guess.

Look up fire extinguisher service or inspection for your area. It's probably cheaper than you think, especially if you sign a contract. Or, call your local fire department headquarters, NOT 911, and ask if they can recommend someone.

dtw2hyd

Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:18 pm

fr8mech wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

That all depends on the extinguisher. If the extinguisher says it should be serviced every year, chances are that itis designed to be easily serviced, with the right equipment. It's likely you have a commercial extinguisher, which tend to be fairly expensive to replace, since the guts are probably made of metal vs. plastic, but that's a guess.

Look up fire extinguisher service or inspection for your area. It's probably cheaper than you think, especially if you sign a contract. Or, call your local fire department headquarters, NOT 911, and ask if they can recommend someone.

You are correct, I didn't know they are a commercial grade extinguishers. I found a couple of service centers, will call them to get them serviced. Apart from an annual check, there is a six-year detailed service.

fr8mech

Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:46 am

Just received my new extinguishers. Kiddie does want the old ones back. They send a label, and you just use the same packing to return.

WarRI1

Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:16 am

fr8mech wrote:
Just received my new extinguishers. Kiddie does want the old ones back. They send a label, and you just use the same packing to return.

Ok, thanks.

DL_Mech

Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:57 pm

Received my replacement extinguishers today. Took about a month.