Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Bicentenary of the Birth of Bahá'u'lláh

Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:10 pm

Dear friends, as a Bahá'í I would like to share with you all something which is very special to me. This weekend (October 21st/22nd) marks the Bicentenary of the Birth of Bahá'u'lláh, a divine educator who brought a message of peace and unity for all mankind.

Bahá'u'lláh was born in Tehran, Persia, in 1817, the son of a government minister and to a noble family which traced its lineage back to the old dynasties of Persia. From a young age Bahá'u'lláh showed signs of greatness, demonstrating an innate wisdom and intelligence which was not learned in a school. Although He could have followed in His father's footsteps in a prestigious position in government, He chose instead to dedicate Himself to the poor and needy.

In 1844 a new Faith swept through Iran, its messenger a young man from Shiraz who took the title "Báb", meaning the gate, and who proclaimed the advent of an even greater messenger to follow, whom He described as "Him whom God shall make manifest", the Promised One of all ages who would herald in a new age of peace and prosperity. Bahá'u'lláh readily accepted the station of the Báb when He heard of this movement, and because one of its great supporters. Alas, fearing for their positions in the fervour for a new era which the Revelation of the Báb had created, the government and clergy of Persia brutally suppressed the Báb's followers. Thousands were murdered, and countless more made to suffer cruelties and punishments. The Báb Himself was put to death by firing squad in 1850, yet His movement survived, and the persecutions of it continued. In 1853, Bahá'u'lláh was among those imprisoned in a dungeon in Tehran known as the Síyáh-Chál (black pit) which had once been a water cistern. It was during this period of captivity that a heavenly maiden appeared to Bahá'u'lláh, revealing to Him His divine mission, in a scene which reminds us of Moses and the burning bush, the Transfiguration of Jesus, and the appearance of the angel Gabriel to Muhammad.

Upon being freed from captivity, Bahá'u'lláh and His family were exiled to Baghdad. During this time Bahá'u'lláh and His followers were made to endure hardships, but even so the words which flowed from His pen were a source of joy and consolation. In Iraq His renown grew and people came to respect and admire His teachings. This only served to inflame the fears of the clergy in Persia, who agitated the government to have something more done. Eventually the Persian government was able to convince the government of the Ottoman Empire that Bahá'u'lláh was a threat to them, and He was further exiled to Constantinople and then Adrianople. After some years there, He was then sent on a final exile to 'Akká, a desolate prison city on the east coast of the Mediterranean Sea in what is present-day Israel. Bahá'u'lláh remained a captive for the rest of His earthly life, but even in the bleak setting of 'Akká people eventually came to love Him, and the leaders of that town were able to arrange an easing of the conditions He faced, such that followers of the Faith He proclaimed were finally able to attain His presence again. Bahá'u'lláh left this world in May of 1892, and today His followers in all parts of the world turn towards His resting place when making their daily prayers.

Bahá'u'lláh’s teachings include:
  • There is one God, who is unknowable in His essence, and who created all the universe through a process that can be understood scientifically
  • Too enable mankind to know Him, God has sent messengers and prophets (who Bahá'u'lláh referred to as "Manifestations of God"). These manifestations are divine educators who bring teachings of both an eternal spiritual nature, and a social nature suited to the time and place in which They come. All the world's major religions have come from these Manifestations, whose names include Abraham, Moses, Zoroaster, Krishna, Buddha, Jesus, Muhammad, the Báb and Bahá'u'lláh, not to mention many others whose names and missions have been lost to history. Bahá'u'lláh said that there will continue to be more Manifestations of God in the future as mankind continues to grow and develop, and the next may appear in as little as a thousand years' time.
  • All mankind regardless of race, religion, class, or political belief should be regarded as one family, and should strive for peace and unity. Essential to this is the elimination all forms of prejudice, as well as refraining from gossip, backbiting, and contention with one-another. Instead of conflict, differences of opinion should be explored through consultation until the truth of the matter can be discovered.
  • Women and men are, and always have been, equal in the sight of God, and it is not possible for humanity to truly progress until both male and female are equally able to participate and progress in society.
  • Mankind has both a spiritual and a material nature, and science and religion can be seen as complementary systems of knowledge which allow us to understand these natures, rather than two competing forces in opposition to one another. Where science is pursued without religion, it gives rise to materialism, and where religion is pursued without science it gives rise to superstition; neither of these are conducive to the advancement of the human race.
  • In looking to solve economic problems, we must consider the spiritual nature of mankind, and not just its material nature. While there will always be some people with more material possessions than others, the extremes of wealth and poverty must be eliminated, and the poor are a sacred trust which cannot be neglected.
  • There must be universal education, and at the very least should it not prove possible for a family to educate all their children, it is of the utmost importance that the girls are educated since they will be the mothers and first teachers of their children in the future.

Today all around the world people alive to Bahá'u'lláh's vision of a spiritually and materially prosperous civilisation are striving to put His Revelation into action, focusing on serving their local communities and empowering everyone to be an active agent of the intellectual, material, and spiritual advancement. This weekend all have been celebrating His birth, in a worldwide festival which has touched many thousands of souls. Some glimpses of these celebrations have been shared on a dedicated website produced by the Bahá'í International Community: http://bicentenary.bahai.org/, which also has more details of His life and Revelation, as well as 60 minute film which has been produced at the Bahá'í World Centre, detailing His life, and the impact His teachings are having in every corner of the globe. I warmly encourage you to have a look to get more of a sense of what Bahá'u'lláh's revelation is all about.

For me personally, the teachings of Bahá'u'lláh, which I first encountered nearly a decade ago, have helped me to see the possibility of a future which is not blighted by war and prejudice, but where all of us can come together and work for the betterment of the world. As a pilot and a lover of aviation, I feel that this particular industry has its own special part to play by being a tool whereby mankind can be brought closer together, and people can truly feel the whole world as one place. In turn, I believe that the more that peace, unity, and prosperity can take root around the world, the more that our industry will be able to grow and develop itself.

I would like to leave you with a small selection of some of my favourite pieces of Bahá'u'lláh's Writings which we are so fortunate to be able to access easily:

O Son of Spirit! My first counsel is this: Possess a pure, kindly and radiant heart, that thine may be a sovereignty ancient, imperishable and everlasting.

O Son of Spirit! The best beloved of all things in My sight is Justice; turn not away therefrom if thou desirest Me, and neglect it not that I may confide in thee. By its aid thou shalt see with thine own eyes and not through the eyes of others, and shalt know of thine own knowledge and not through the knowledge of thy neighbor. Ponder this in thy heart; how it behooveth thee to be. Verily justice is My gift to thee and the sign of My loving-kindness. Set it then before thine eyes.

The betterment of the world can be achieved through pure and goodly deeds, through commendable and seemly conduct.

The tabernacle of unity hath been raised; regard ye not one another as strangers. Ye are the fruits of one tree, and the leaves of one branch. We cherish the hope that the light of justice may shine upon the world and sanctify it from tyranny.

This is the Day in which God’s most excellent favours have been poured out upon men, the Day in which His most mighty grace hath been infused into all created things. It is incumbent upon all the peoples of the world to reconcile their differences, and, with perfect unity and peace, abide beneath the shadow of the Tree of His care and loving-kindness.

The All-Knowing Physician hath His finger on the pulse of mankind. He perceiveth the disease, and prescribeth, in His unerring wisdom, the remedy. Every age hath its own problem, and every soul its particular aspiration. The remedy the world needeth in its present-day afflictions can never be the same as that which a subsequent age may require. Be anxiously concerned with the needs of the age ye live in, and centre your deliberations on its exigencies and requirements.

Regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value. Education can, alone, cause it to reveal its treasures, and enable mankind to benefit therefrom.

Ye are the fruits of one tree, and the leaves of one branch. Deal ye one with another with the utmost love and harmony, with friendliness and fellowship. He Who is the Daystar of Truth beareth Me witness! So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth.

It is permitted that the peoples and kindreds of the world associate with one another with joy and radiance. O people! Consort with the followers of all religions in a spirit of friendliness and fellowship.

Blessed and happy is he that ariseth to promote the best interests of the peoples and kindreds of the earth... It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens.

V/F

BestWestern

Re: Bicentenary of the Birth of Bahá'u'lláh

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:03 pm

Thank you for the summary. A lot of work went into this post.

Growing up I had Baha’i friends, so was aware of the religion, if not knowledgeable about it.

One of your writing extracts caught my eye.

‘O people! Consort with the followers of all religions in a spirit of friendliness and fellowship.’

Now, if we could all follow this, the world would be a more peaceful place.

Iran / Persia has seen the birth of many religions, such as Parsi and Baha’i.

speedbird52

Re: Bicentenary of the Birth of Bahá'u'lláh

Sun May 27, 2018 8:41 am

Late reply I know, but I have never known much about your religion. Thank you for sharing with us!