Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bmacleod
Topic Author

MLB Playoffs - World Series predictions

Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:19 pm

So far in ALCS the NY Yankees are up 3-2 against the Houston Astros and in the NLCS the LA Dodgers are up 3-1 against the Chicago Cubs.

Some may be predicting a Yankees-Dodgers Fall Classic which would be colossal since the Dodgers originated in Brooklyn.

Reminding of a 1977 Patsy Gallant tune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TohEJPjyi-U

But history may be against the Yankees as very few teams have come back to win after losing first 2 games. Dodgers vs Astros?

Also after Hurricane Harvey no doubt Houston will be driving hard for a AL pennant.

In NLCS looks like the Dodgers have a lock on a ticket to World Series. But never say never....
Last edited by bmacleod on Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wingman

Re: MLB Playoffs - World Series predictions

Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:42 pm

I would love to see the Yankees-Dodgers, absolutely epic and with massive 6 hour flights and jet lag to add an aviation twist to the whole affair. Kershaw vs. The Judge..come on now!

Moose135

Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:05 pm

wingman wrote:
I would love to see the Yankees-Dodgers...

Yes, and I'll be rooting for a giant fissure to open in the Earth's surface and swallow up both teams!

wingman

Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:08 pm

My equivalent would the Pats-Cowboys in the Superbowl but I digress, this is baseball after all.

cjg225

Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:24 pm

History is against teams coming back from an 0-2 hole... But the Yankees have a 3-2 lead now. So the pressure is all on the 'Stros to avoid elimination in Game 6 and win again in Game 7. Not the usual situation for a team going down 0-2, but not unprecedented.

It'll almost certainly be Dodgers-Yankees at this point. I think the 'Stros won't handle the pressure of having to avoid elimination after breezing through the ALDS and through Games 1 and 2 of the ALCS. The Yankees are peaking at the right time.

It's several days late, but I would like to point out that I called the Indians losing in 5 when they started approaching the AL win streak record. "They'll lose in 5 just like the '02 A's." Sure enough...

csturdiv

Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:20 pm

bmacleod wrote:

In NLCS looks like the Dodgers have a lock on a ticket to World Series. But never say never....

Ask the 2004 Yankees about never saying never. I'm not saying the 2017 Cubs are the 2004 Red Sox, but as a Cubs fan, it would be nice to see.

Although, it would be bad to see. I'd have to be "sick" or take some leave days from work to watch the World Series if the Cubs get back in, and I do not have the leave days to spare, I am taking pretty much all of my leave on a month long trip back to the US over December/January.

bmacleod
Topic Author

Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:05 pm

csturdiv wrote:
bmacleod wrote:

Ask the 2004 Yankees about never saying never. I'm not saying the 2017 Cubs are the 2004 Red Sox, but as a Cubs fan, it would be nice to see.

Although, it would be bad to see. I'd have to be "sick" or take some leave days from work to watch the World Series if the Cubs get back in, and I do not have the leave days to spare, I am taking pretty much all of my leave on a month long trip back to the US over December/January.

Unfortunately not this year ....though you have to give Cubs credit for what they accomplished.....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-cubs-face-big-challenge-haugh-spt-1020-20171019-column.html

ER757

Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:30 pm

As a life-long White Sox fan (yes, we do exist), all I can say is "thank you Dodgers" ;)

Super80Fan

Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:43 pm

Moose135 wrote:
wingman wrote:
I would love to see the Yankees-Dodgers...

Yes, and I'll be rooting for a giant fissure to open in the Earth's surface and swallow up both teams!

Amen! Usually I can root for one team but this time I won't.

jetero

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:45 am

Astros all the way

cjg225

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:48 am

Good on the 'Stros for getting back on track at home. This'll be an interesting series for the east coast since both teams are outside the Eastern time zone. Dodgers home games are going to start ultra-late on the east coast.

B777LRF

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:36 am

I predict the world champions will be an American team. Just like every other year, the international competition is somewhat lacking. Go Hodgers!

thomasphoto60

Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:41 pm

I can see the execs at FOX Sports with their heads in their hands, shaking.......Nooooooo....not the Astros! Probably will not be the ratings monster that a Yankees/Dodgers matchup would have been.

HOMER71

Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:50 pm

cjg225 wrote:
Good on the 'Stros for getting back on track at home. This'll be an interesting series for the east coast since both teams are outside the Eastern time zone. Dodgers home games are going to start ultra-late on the east coast.

All games will start at around 8pm ET

cjg225

Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:58 pm

thomasphoto60 wrote:
I can see the execs at FOX Sports with their heads in their hands, shaking.......Nooooooo....not the Astros! Probably will not be the ratings monster that a Yankees/Dodgers matchup would have been.

Yeah, Dodgers/Yankees would've been insane for ratings.

I heard the other day that the LCS' were like a seeded match-up of the biggest US cities:

#1 New York vs. #4 Houston
#2 Los Angeles vs. #3 Chicago

At least it's still two major-market teams, just not what it could've been, since the Yankees are the kind of team you tune in to watch lose just as much as you tune in to watch them win.

thomasphoto60

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:10 pm

cjg225 wrote:
thomasphoto60 wrote:

Yeah, Dodgers/Yankees would've been insane for ratings.

I heard the other day that the LCS' were like a seeded match-up of the biggest US cities:

#1 New York vs. #4 Houston
#2 Los Angeles vs. #3 Chicago

At least it's still two major-market teams, just not what it could've been, since the Yankees are the kind of team you tune in to watch lose just as much as you tune in to watch them win.

Yep I agree and I live in Houston. While elated to see the "good guys" get another shot at the series (hopefully not ending up like the embarrassing sweep against the White Sox in '05'). Still, NY/LA World Series was a dream for a lot of folks and not just those two markets, much of the country, never mind FOX Sports and
the advertisers.

maortega15

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:29 pm

The last LA/NY series in the postseason was the Yankees and Angels in the ALCS back in 2009. The last championship series was the Rangers and Kings a few years ago. I'm not sure about the ratings.

I doubt we'll see NY/LA basketball and football championship anytime soon.

bmacleod
Topic Author

Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:06 pm

LA maybe stronger team but I hope Houston wins; the city has really come together after Hurricane Harvey and a World Series win would be icing on the cake...

jetero

Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:04 am

Astros

LittleFokker

Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:54 am

Game 5 might have been one of the best playoff games of all time. I can't think of the last time I was that emotionally invested in a baseball game when I wasn't a fan of either team (though I would prefer to see an Astros win). All 5 games have been good so far, and could be ranked among the best World Series. Deserves to go 7, but we'll see how valuable Verlander is Tuesday night.

seb146

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:24 am

I have a wall I just painted and I have to time the exact second it dries. That is much more interesting to me than baseball. I was happy the Cubs finally won and I was happy when the Blue Jays won twice. Nearly being beaten by lumberjacks was almost worth it. But, overall, I need to get back to my underwater basket weaving.

flyingclrs727

Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:47 pm

I predict game 6 will be close.

TWA772LR

Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:42 pm

It's down to the wire now! This is killing me and all the other Houstonians!

The city can really use this boost. After the oil slump and Harvey, winning the World Series would be tremendous for morale in Southeast Texas.

Let's go 'Stros!

LittleFokker

Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:46 pm

I would rather see Houston win, but I won't be mad if the Dodgers pull it out. Just a well played, entertaining series, and I'm thankful for the opportunity to watch it. Both teams should be proud of the effort they've given, and it's a shame one of them will be the runner up after the end of tonight's game.

ER757

Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:17 pm

First time since 2001/2002 that there were back to back seven-game World Series. I don't watch a lot of baseball as it moves at too slow a pace for me, but there's nothing like a Game 7 in any major sports playoff. Win or go home - pull out all the stops. Should be fun

bmacleod
Topic Author

Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:08 pm

Astros win the World Series!!!!

https://www.mlb.com/astros

jetero

Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:00 pm

Astros

BobPatterson

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:35 pm

I missed the first two games while in the hospital, watched the last five at home.

In 70 years of playing, listening to and watching baseball games, I have seen no finer example of the sport than game 5 of this series. Fantastic.

Jose Altuve won my heart. I might attend some Oriole's games just to watch him play.

maortega15

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:14 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
I missed the first two games while in the hospital, watched the last five at home.

In 70 years of playing, listening to and watching baseball games, I have seen no finer example of the sport than game 5 of this series. Fantastic.

Jose Altuve won my heart. I might attend some Oriole's games just to watch him play.

I hope you're feeling better.

BobPatterson

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:53 pm

maortega15 wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:

I hope you're feeling better.

Thank you.

I had two separate bouts of intestinal bleeding (a first for me) and ended up receiving 9 units of other people's blood.

It is humbling to ponder who these unknown donors were, and what percentage of humanity now flows within my veins.

Over the years I donated gallons of blood and many units of platelets. I suppose I never fully appreciated what I was doing.

Anyway, many thanks to O-positive donors, whomever you are.