Braybuddy
Topic Author

Non-Av Pic Thread, Q4 2017

Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:42 pm

We're nearly halfway into October, so time again for a new thread. I'll start the ball rolling with a mixed bag: some still lifes, some car fun and a couple of quirky pics:

vikkyvik

Re: Non-Av Pic Thread, Q4 2017

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:20 pm

A rather large mantis hanging out over our front door:

I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

airkas1
Head Screener

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:20 pm

Nice shots gents!

WarRI1

Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:21 am

airkas1 wrote:
Nice shots gents!

I agree. The Praying Mantis was once common around here in my younger days, not so much anymore along with many other species. Keep the pictures coming.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

airkas1
Head Screener

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:16 am

A couple photos from a recent holiday in Malta.

On our way to the beach, we passed by this nice looking church. A quick stop for photos was in order. The church pictured here is the Parish Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary into Heaven.

During our last few days, we had some thunderstorms in the night. I couldn't sleep and decided to take photos through my bedroom window. After lots of missed attempts, I finally captured a lightning strike.

Every day, there are 2 firing sessions at the saluting battery. We were a bit lucky, as we didn't know this beforehand and found out when we got there. You can watch the firing froma balcony terrace above the battery, but the area level with the battery is a museum and for 3 Euries, you could get access. This is what we did and I took position at the front. This resulted in this nicely timed photo (if I may say so myself).

My favorite area of the Sea Aquarium on Malta. Not only mine, but also that of others, as getting a relatively clear photo involved quite some waiting time.

WarRI1

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:08 am

Very good on the lightening shot and even better on the cannon firing. I sure hope the soldier pulling the lanyard used ear plugs.

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:54 am

Great timing there with both the lightning and canon shots, airkas. I hope you were wearing earplugs! I note the different times on the two clocks on the church. If I remember correctly, this is a deliberate ploy to fool the devil so he won't know when the service starts. Mind you, there's nothing to stop him hanging round for an hour, I suppose . . . :D

There was time for one last weekend away this year, and it was a great time to visit Barcelona with the colourful protests, not so great with the French ATC strikes though:

WarRI1

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:07 am

Braybuddy.

It looks like exciting times there in Barcelona. Good shots. That looks like the largest bird house in the world in the next to last shot. Is that guy for real? Is that real hair? I also see the logo for the much hated New York Yankees baseball team in the group shot.

VapourTrails

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:34 am

The Barcelona protests and the one with the marble and the steps are my favourites! :thumbsup:

Thanks as always for contributing all of these to the thread. :thumbsup:
Time now to spread your wings, to take to flight, the life endeavour - Savage Garden

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:13 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

It looks like exciting times there in Barcelona. Good shots. That looks like the largest bird house in the world in the next to last shot. Is that guy for real? Is that real hair? I also see the logo for the much hated New York Yankees baseball team in the group shot.

That, WarRI1, is actually a chimney, believe it or not, though I'm sure it's confused a few birds over the years! It's on the roof of the Guell Palace, a house designed by the famous architect Antoni Gaudi who lived in Barcelona, and built some of the city's most famous buildings, inculding the spectacular cathedral, which was started in 1882 and is due to be completed around 2026. The two previous pics were taken inside:
https://spainattractions.es/palau-guell/

I do believe that guy's hair is real. I'd say he has never cut it. Must take a hell of an effort to live with, and maintain, but, I suppose, whatever floats your boat! I had to go looking for the New York Yankees logo in the other pic, and I have seen it before, but didn't know what it was. I thought it might have been a university or school logo. I never realised they were much-hated, may I ask why?

VapourTrails wrote:
The Barcelona protests and the one with the marble and the steps are my favourites! :thumbsup:

Thank you, and no prob!

WarRI1

Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:49 am

Braybuddy wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

That, WarRI1, is actually a chimney, believe it or not, though I'm sure it's confused a few birds over the years! It's on the roof of the Guell Palace, a house designed by the famous architect Antoni Gaudi who lived in Barcelona, and built some of the city's most famous buildings, inculding the spectacular cathedral, which was started in 1882 and is due to be completed around 2026. The two previous pics were taken inside:
https://spainattractions.es/palau-guell/

I do believe that guy's hair is real. I'd say he has never cut it. Must take a hell of an effort to live with, and maintain, but, I suppose, whatever floats your boat! I had to go looking for the New York Yankees logo in the other pic, and I have seen it before, but didn't know what it was. I thought it might have been a university or school logo. I never realised they were much-hated, may I ask why?

VapourTrails wrote:

Thank you, and no prob!

A chimney, and a very different one for sure. I am familiar with the Cathedral through photos and I did not know it was near completion, in fact I did not know it was not finished. As far as the New York Yankees and them being hated, it is regional. I live in the Boston Area. The Yankees are our most close and toughest foe in Pro Baseball. They have foiled us many, many times. It is like a blood sport when we compete. Many years ago, the Red Sox let Babe Ruth go to the Yankees and Boston was cursed for many years trying to win the World Series of baseball. It was so bad and so long that the trade became known as the curse of the Bambino. ( Ruths nickname). That hat jumped right out at me in your photo with that hated logo. ;) ;)

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:58 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
As far as the New York Yankees and them being hated, it is regional. I live in the Boston Area. The Yankees are our most close and toughest foe in Pro Baseball. They have foiled us many, many times. It is like a blood sport when we compete. Many years ago, the Red Sox let Babe Ruth go to the Yankees and Boston was cursed for many years trying to win the World Series of baseball. It was so bad and so long that the trade became known as the curse of the Bambino. ( Ruths nickname). That hat jumped right out at me in your photo with that hated logo. ;) ;)

There's nothing like the rivalry of near neighbours! I'd heard of Babe Ruth but knew nothing of the bad blood between the teams. You never know what you're going to learn on this site. :yes:

WarRI1

Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:28 am

Braybuddy wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
As far as the New York Yankees and them being hated, it is regional. I live in the Boston Area. The Yankees are our most close and toughest foe in Pro Baseball. They have foiled us many, many times. It is like a blood sport when we compete. Many years ago, the Red Sox let Babe Ruth go to the Yankees and Boston was cursed for many years trying to win the World Series of baseball. It was so bad and so long that the trade became known as the curse of the Bambino. ( Ruths nickname). That hat jumped right out at me in your photo with that hated logo. ;) ;)

There's nothing like the rivalry of near neighbours! I'd heard of Babe Ruth but knew nothing of the bad blood between the teams. You never know what you're going to learn on this site. :yes:

I agree, much to learn on here, some good, some bad and that is why I check in most days. :)

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:20 pm

Hallowe'en is a great time for interesting and fun pics. This year didn't disappoint:

WarRI1

Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:34 am

Looks like Halloween is serious business there.

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:28 pm

WarRI1 wrote:

For sure, seeing that we more-or-less invented it! Hallowe'en has it's origins in the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain. I'm always amused when vistiors ask "Do you have Hallowe'en in Ireland? :boggled: :sarcastic:

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:49 pm

I love taking a trip to the city for the day just to wander round, take pics, have coffee, take pics, have lunch, take pics, go for a drink and take pics, then head home. So I suppose this week's effort could simply be called "A Day in Dublin":

WarRI1

Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:04 am

Braybuddy.

Once again, your photos make me want to go there and have a coffee with you, it looks Delicious. It is good to escape the political madness here by looking at your pictures. A touch of serenity among our chaos. I must say the pigeon man has escaped the fate of James Joyce so far that is. What is the significance of the Door mans Lapel Pin if I might ask?

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:35 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

Once again, your photos make me want to go there and have a coffee with you, it looks Delicious. It is good to escape the political madness here by looking at your pictures. A touch of serenity among our chaos. I must say the pigeon man has escaped the fate of James Joyce so far that is. What is the significance of the Door mans Lapel Pin if I might ask?

My smpathies, WarRI1, and would be delighted to go for coffee and tour around the city if you and your wife were ever over this way. Nothing like a local guide to show you a place! Funny you should mention the pigeon man, as he's actually American, but living here. I was talking to him briefly and he was standing there for at least half an hour with the birds. They're obviously used to him and when I approached some of them flew over and landed on me for some reason. The lapel pin is the Remembrance Poppy, worn around this time. originally to commemorate Irish soldiers who died in World War I, which ended on 11/11/18. It's been a fairly controversial symbol over the years due to its association with the British Army, but some older people still wear them. See the Republic of Ireland section in the piece below:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_poppy

WarRI1

Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:55 am

Braybuddy wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

My smpathies, WarRI1, and would be delighted to go for coffee and tour around the city if you and your wife were ever over this way. Nothing like a local guide to show you a place! Funny you should mention the pigeon man, as he's actually American, but living here. I was talking to him briefly and he was standing there for at least half an hour with the birds. They're obviously used to him and when I approached some of them flew over and landed on me for some reason. The lapel pin is the Remembrance Poppy, worn around this time. originally to commemorate Irish soldiers who died in World War I, which ended on 11/11/18. It's been a fairly controversial symbol over the years due to its association with the British Army, but some older people still wear them. See the Republic of Ireland section in the piece below:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_poppy

I thought it maybe that, but the color green threw me off. I did read the article also. Thanks. An Expatriate American Pigeon Man in Ireland, interesting. Thanks for the offer if I get over there. I appreciate it. Now if I can get my wife back on an airplane, which she has been reluctant to do lately. Grandmother duty calls to her incessantly. She is a Professional at that. ;)

ual747den

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:35 am

Braybuddy wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

For sure, seeing that we more-or-less invented it! Hallowe'en has it's origins in the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain. I'm always amused when vistiors ask "Do you have Hallowe'en in Ireland? :boggled: :sarcastic:

I have a question, the girl from the Halloween pictures with the black and black gun holsters, is that the same girl wrapped in the flag from your Barcelona pix?
/// UNITED AIRLINES

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:26 pm

ual747den wrote:
I have a question, the girl from the Halloween pictures with the black and black gun holsters, is that the same girl wrapped in the flag from your Barcelona pix?

I can see where you're coming from, as they are very alike, but I really think it very unlikely. If you look at the hairline the first girl has a definite widow's peak, whereas the second girl's hairline is pretty much a normal curve. Well spotted though!

ual747den

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:41 am

Braybuddy wrote:
ual747den wrote:

I can see where you're coming from, as they are very alike, but I really think it very unlikely. If you look at the hairline the first girl has a definite widow's peak, whereas the second girl's hairline is pretty much a normal curve. Well spotted though!

I was hoping that maybe it was a friend of yours and I was going to be able to get a number or something!! The two do look very much alike though!
/// UNITED AIRLINES

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:14 pm

ual747den wrote:
I was hoping that maybe it was a friend of yours and I was going to be able to get a number or something!! The two do look very much alike though!

Ah right, I was wondering why you thought the same girl would be in the two very different locations. Sorry, can't help you there! But the upside, I suppose, is that there are now two girls whose number you'd like . . . :D

WarRI1

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:31 am

Braybuddy.

That is amazing, I never saw the pistols or the holsters. I looked and looked too! :hypnotized: ;)

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:57 am

WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

That is amazing, I never saw the pistols or the holsters. I looked and looked too! :hypnotized: ;)

You were tricked out of a treat . . . :D