Topic Author

Amtrak unveils new Acela Replacement livery

Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:52 am

Words cannot describe this..................... :shock: :shock: :o :o

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2017/10/0 ... allery-2-3

Dutchy

Re: Amtrak unveils new Acela Replacement livery

Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:57 am

Nice, similar to the TGV I guess since they will be produced by French train producer Alstom.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

WIederling

Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:42 pm

william wrote:

What's your beef ? .. :-)
Murphy is an optimist

af773atmsp

Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:40 pm

Its good to see new rolling stock for the Acela, but it seems Amtrak focuses a lot on new locomotives and rolling stock and less on track infrastructure, which is the real determinant of maximum allowable speed. Yes infrastructure upgrades are more challenging from a cost and political standpoint, but in the long run it'll make trains have higher average speeds.

Yes I know most track Amtrak uses is owned by freight companies, but Amtrak can still get the funds to upgrade those tracks too.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72

SY, DL, FI, FL, BA, EI, NW, MG, DY, EZY, F9, WN

MSP, BOS, JFK, DCA, LAX, SAN, MCO, RSW, PIE, ATL, DTW, PSP, ORD, MDW, MKE, MCI, IND, NAS, KEF, LHR, MUC, OSL, BOO, CPH, HEL, BUD, AMS, EDI, DUB

william
Topic Author

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:32 pm

WIederling wrote:
william wrote:

IMO, the livery is overly busy, but I guess that par for the course these days to stand out.

On the positive side using tried and true rail tech (TGV) should yield better reliable trainsets from Alstom than the overweight present Acela trains from BBD.

KLDC10

Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:10 pm

That train strikes me as looking very Spanish. Well, just European in general I suppose.
The color scheme itself will become dated very quickly I imagine, not to mention dirty in a matter of days - white is a poor choice here. I much prefer the scheme they used when they announced their intention to purchase new trains. Far more professional in my opinion. It can be seen here: https://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/amtrak ... s-upgrade/

I wonder why they didn't just stick with that?
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190

WIederling

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:06 am

william wrote:
WIederling wrote:
william wrote:

IMO, the livery is overly busy, but I guess that par for the course these days to stand out.

On the positive side using tried and true rail tech (TGV) should yield better reliable trainsets from Alstom than the overweight present Acela trains from BBD.

(existing) Acela has TGV traction while having individual bogies per car. ( not the jacobs design the TGV sports.)
The then new crash proving of the construction obviously increased weight further.
Individual cars weigh up to 55% more than TGV ones.
At the time they weren't really "overweight" ( as in "carrying useless excess weight".)
But technology moves on.
Murphy is an optimist

WIederling

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:16 am

KLDC10 wrote:
I wonder why they didn't just stick with that?

What is "professional" in a more or less flashy color scheme?
( America seems to be rather hung up on appearances in lieu of performance :-)

Trains have a tendency to look dirty independent of the colors chosen.
the most dirt resilient layout ( beyond matte black ) I remember are the DB "Silberlinge"
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-Wagen#/ ... ndezug.jpg
( Even if you got dirty just from walking near by they still resembled the
original appearance :: rotating brush pattern polished stainless steel.)
Murphy is an optimist

johns624

Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:14 pm

af773atmsp wrote:
Yes I know most track Amtrak uses is owned by freight companies, but Amtrak can still get the funds to upgrade those tracks too.
Do you know how many billions that would take? Freight trains beat up on track. A track good for 100mph costs many times what a track good for 60mph does. It needs more constant maintenance, also. Acelas are electric so it's a moot point anyways, since only the NEC has catenary.

KLDC10

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:28 pm

WIederling wrote:
What is "professional" in a more or less flashy color scheme?
( America seems to be rather hung up on appearances in lieu of performance :-)

Trains have a tendency to look dirty independent of the colors chosen.
the most dirt resilient layout ( beyond matte black ) I remember are the DB "Silberlinge"
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-Wagen#/ ... ndezug.jpg
( Even if you got dirty just from walking near by they still resembled the
original appearance :: rotating brush pattern polished stainless steel.)

Wasn't London Underground stock also similarly out-shopped during the 70s and 80s? I believe they changed to the now-iconic red, white and blue scheme because the trains kept getting vandalized.

As for the Acela scheme - I don't know, it just looks a bit cheap, and very nineties. It actually reminds me of the color scheme used on the Amtrak 'Cascades' service between Vancouver and Eugene, OR. That isn't much to shout about either.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190

VSMUT

Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:10 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
not to mention dirty in a matter of days - white is a poor choice here.

The Germans seem to manage pretty well regardless:

KLDC10

Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:53 pm

VSMUT wrote:

The front of that train is filthy. Zooming in, it doesn't look like the rest of it is much better.

stlgph

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:38 am

The ACELA, like the Titanic, was built for "comfort, rather than speed."
All in all, it's nice, but it's desperately time for an overhaul of the on board cafe.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Flighty

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:42 am

Would better without the red. JMO

WarRI1

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:44 am

WIederling wrote:
william wrote:

A rather dull color scheme to me.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

WIederling

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:54 am

WarRI1 wrote:
WIederling wrote:
william wrote:

A rather dull color scheme to me.

you need flashy outfits when you are one lackluster provider of services from a bunch of similarly lackluster service providers
to at least keep the customers that are "corporate image trained".

Deutsche Bahn more or less is a monopoly. flashy outfit would a flash in the pan without investment value.
Murphy is an optimist

william
Topic Author

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:57 pm

WIederling wrote:
william wrote:

Simpler livery is better. The mostly silver or aluminum livery (strike a bell in the airline world) is classy. And we are talking about Amtrak here, it needs all the class it can get.

It started with the Amfleet Metroliners and with the present Acelas, Amtrak owns the markshare and has relegated the famed DCA-LGA air shuttles to history. Amtrak does not need a livery that looks a LCC.

af773atmsp

Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:51 pm

johns624 wrote:
af773atmsp wrote:
Do you know how many billions that would take? Freight trains beat up on track. A track good for 100mph costs many times what a track good for 60mph does. It needs more constant maintenance, also. Acelas are electric so it's a moot point anyways, since only the NEC has catenary.

If we're talking upgrading all the trackage that Amtrak uses then yes it would be a high cost for little benefit. However corridor routes (LA-San Diego, Seattle-Portland, MSP-Chicago, Dallas-Houston, etc.) would greatly benefit from upgrading track to 110 mph speeds (or at the very least have a higher average speed on the entire route). Doesn't need to be electric as there are already 110 mile per hour trains operating between St. Louis and Chicago.

MSP, BOS, JFK, DCA, LAX, SAN, MCO, RSW, PIE, ATL, DTW, PSP, ORD, MDW, MKE, MCI, IND, NAS, KEF, LHR, MUC, OSL, BOO, CPH, HEL, BUD, AMS, EDI, DUB

tommy1808

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:01 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
The front of that train is filthy. Zooming in, it doesn't look like the rest of it is much better.

There is no color that keeps looking tidy when you smack insects into them at 300km/h, or 280 for the one in the picture, all day long.
That being said, the ICE train was supposed to be metal silver, because that is the cleanest looking color on a train, but for the proof of concept train, the ICE-V, experts still worried about making such large areas silver without it looking cloudy and hence the prototype got a an experimental color. White, no one in their right minds paints a train white, is OK for an experimental train after all.
That design happened to be so popular that they wanted to keep it for marketing reasons. And once in operation they found out that white ain't so bad and doesn't look more of less dirty than other colors, sans silver, and kept them white. I dont think there are long distance trains here anymore that aren't white with a red stripe.

Best regards
Thomas
NIKV69 wrote:
The race is over. Moore has over 50% of the vote with just about half the votes in. Jones can't overcome that. McConnell has 10am meeting tomorrow so they can get this guy removed. At least the seat stays Republican. That is the important thing.
:D

bhill

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:46 pm

Well, at least it LOOKS fast......
Carpe Pices

stlgph

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:36 pm

af773atmsp wrote:
johns624 wrote:
af773atmsp wrote:

If we're talking upgrading all the trackage that Amtrak uses then yes it would be a high cost for little benefit. However corridor routes (LA-San Diego, Seattle-Portland, MSP-Chicago, Dallas-Houston, etc.) would greatly benefit from upgrading track to 110 mph speeds (or at the very least have a higher average speed on the entire route). Doesn't need to be electric as there are already 110 mile per hour trains operating between St. Louis and Chicago.

It's not a matter of just upgrading the track. The Northeast Corridor is loaded with too many curves and too many local commuter lines all sharing the same space. For high speed service, all the curves would have to go back and be re-banked, and anything which is not high speed equipment would tip over.

william
Topic Author

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:08 pm

william wrote:
WIederling wrote:
william wrote:

Simpler livery is better. The mostly silver or aluminum livery (strike a bell in the airline world) is classy. And we are talking about Amtrak here, it needs all the class it can get.

It started with the Amfleet Metroliners and with the present Acelas, Amtrak owns the markshare and has relegated the famed DCA-LGA air shuttles to history. Amtrak does not need a livery that looks a LCC.

Can anyone else the images I posted? Is there a limit on pics or something?

petertenthije

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:06 pm

william wrote:
Can anyone else the images I posted? Is there a limit on pics or something?

No, probably hot-linking is not allowed. If you do see them, then that's probably because you still have these photos in your cache memory.
Attamottamotta!

af773atmsp

Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:04 am

stlgph wrote:
af773atmsp wrote:
johns624 wrote:

It's not a matter of just upgrading the track. The Northeast Corridor is loaded with too many curves and too many local commuter lines all sharing the same space. For high speed service, all the curves would have to go back and be re-banked, and anything which is not high speed equipment would tip over.

I should have specified upgrading tracks outside the Northeast Corridor. Not to high speed standards, but higher speed (110 mph maximum).

tommy1808

Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:52 am

stlgph wrote:
For high speed service, all the curves would have to go back and be re-banked, and anything which is not high speed equipment would tip over.

Tilting trains gives you some wiggle room for that. And they won´t tip over in any case, at least here trains have to be able to stop on any stretch of track without tipping over.

best regards
Thomas
NIKV69 wrote:
The race is over. Moore has over 50% of the vote with just about half the votes in. Jones can't overcome that. McConnell has 10am meeting tomorrow so they can get this guy removed. At least the seat stays Republican. That is the important thing.
:D

WIederling

Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:05 am

tommy1808 wrote:
stlgph wrote:
For high speed service, all the curves would have to go back and be re-banked, and anything which is not high speed equipment would tip over.

Tilting trains gives you some wiggle room for that. And they won´t tip over in any case, at least here trains have to be able to stop on any stretch of track without tipping over.

Trains at the "right" speed roll on the double cone that is formed by the treads.
Too slow or too fast and you start to take load on the flanges.
That increases wear significantly. ( and is an undesirable load case. )

There is a limit to how wide the speed spectrum on a line can be.
( all the fully for high speed designed rail runs are not for shared use.)

How much sense would it make to move some of the curvier
line segments into straighter tunnels?
( ref: http://www.cinqueterre.eu.com/en/cinque-terre-timetable )
Murphy is an optimist

KLDC10

Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:43 am

bhill wrote:
Well, at least it LOOKS fast......

You can think about that when you're sitting on one that is either
a) Stuck behind a freight or local service
b) Meandering slowly through a "temporary" speed limit, which has been in place a suspiciously long time
;)

william
Topic Author

Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:28 pm

william wrote:
WIederling wrote:
william wrote:

Let's try this posting pics thing again.

stlgph

Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:07 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
stlgph wrote:

best regards
Thomas

I'm not talking about the main "high speed" trains, I'm talking about the regional commuter rails which also run on the Northeast Corridor on the Metro North, Shoreline East, etc.. They'd fall over.

The Northeast Regional equipment wouldn't fare too good, either.

stlgph

Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:09 pm

af773atmsp wrote:
stlgph wrote:
af773atmsp wrote:

I should have specified upgrading tracks outside the Northeast Corridor. Not to high speed standards, but higher speed (110 mph maximum).

Which is a lovely idea but many railroads just don't want to play. Trust me, I'm on your side on this, I'd love to see a massive overhaul and re-dedication of resources to train travel.

max999

Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:32 pm

af773atmsp wrote:
Its good to see new rolling stock for the Acela, but it seems Amtrak focuses a lot on new locomotives and rolling stock and less on track infrastructure, which is the real determinant of maximum allowable speed. Yes infrastructure upgrades are more challenging from a cost and political standpoint, but in the long run it'll make trains have higher average speeds.

I've traveled extensively on Amtrak along the Northeast Corridor where Amtrak owns and maintains the tracks. I've also had many train trips throughout Europe. My experience is that Amtrak-owned tracks seem not as well maintained or seem poorly laid compared to the European counterparts (this includes Europe's regular non-high speed tracks). Amtrak tracks are noticeably bumpier, rockier, and louder. My point is proven after everyone learned about the dismal state of track maintenance in New York Penn Station which led to several derailments earlier this year.

I'm not sure if the poor track quality is due to lack of funding or low quality construction work; it could be a combination of both.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

Frenchify

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:47 pm

Amtrak is a great way to travel, it just has to be taken seriously. No one wants to pay for it and the freight companies seem to just make life difficult for them. Amtrak itself has had a really *bad* week with a new website. It's barely been functioning, and only in small pieces, at best.

Gemuser

Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:27 pm

VSMUT wrote:
KLDC10 wrote:
not to mention dirty in a matter of days - white is a poor choice here.

Those ICE trains are grey, not white and look dirty when freshly painted. Which is a good idea actually.

Gemuser

VSMUT

Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:58 pm

Gemuser wrote:
Those ICE trains are grey, not white and look dirty when freshly painted. Which is a good idea actually.

Gemuser

They are white, not grey. I ride on them several times a week.

WIederling

Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:32 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Gemuser wrote:

Gemuser

They are "RAL 7035 :: Lichtgrau" *
ref: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAL-Eisen ... en_Bahn_AG
not plain white and not "Porsche Weiß" ( that has a stipple of blue added for brilliance )

* Lichtgrau ~= VW beetle color "sperma weiß" :-)
Murphy is an optimist

Gemuser

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:43 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Gemuser wrote:

Gemuser

The ones I rode 3 days ago were gray, not white. I saw some white ones last year but not this year.

Gemuser

KLDC10

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:52 pm

Gemuser wrote:
The ones I rode 3 days ago were gray, not white. I saw some white ones last year but not this year.

Gemuser

I'll have the opportunity to ride on one myself next month for the very first time. I'm very much looking forward to the experience, though I'm not sure exactly which ICE Variant it will be. I can check whether it is white or gray through ;)

readytotaxi

Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:02 pm

Curious, what sort of catering is there onboard? Anything like in UK/Europe ?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

VSMUT

Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:10 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
I'll have the opportunity to ride on one myself next month for the very first time. I'm very much looking forward to the experience, though I'm not sure exactly which ICE Variant it will be.

Where are you travelling to/from, and what is the number of your train?

readytotaxi wrote:
Curious, what sort of catering is there onboard? Anything like in UK/Europe ?

On the ICE? You have to pay, but there is a bar+bistro and a restaurant. For first class they will also take orders from your seat. In first class they will serve packages of winegums after departing each station before noon, and mars bars after each stop after noon. First class pax also get access to the DB lounges, where you get free drinks and food. Free wifi and an online entertainment portal with films is also available.

Dfthu

Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:59 pm

Oh that is ugly, there is too much stuff going on. The other livery they use on the big diesel trains and the double deck cars look great.

jfklganyc

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:05 pm

In fairness, the TSA and ATC Edcts becoming the norm on a daily basis and NYC ballooning traffic killed the shuttle.

1.5 new million people in NYC since 1980 without any meaningful infastructure investment will do that.

Try to imagine quick TSA in early am in BOS or DCA, 35 min flight, landing at LGA and immediately walking into a cab for a quick 15 min ride to midtown. Sounds like fantasy? Up until the late 90s, that was reality.

Acela just provided a viable alternative to the madness.

KLDC10

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:47 pm

VSMUT wrote:
KLDC10 wrote:
I'll have the opportunity to ride on one myself next month for the very first time. I'm very much looking forward to the experience, though I'm not sure exactly which ICE Variant it will be.

Stuttgart HBF to Frankfurt Flughafen. ICE 618. It leaves at a ridiculous time in the morning, but it is what it is.

VSMUT

Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:54 am

KLDC10 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
KLDC10 wrote:

Stuttgart HBF to Frankfurt Flughafen. ICE 618. It leaves at a ridiculous time in the morning, but it is what it is.

It should be an ICE 3 ;) The restaurant and bar will be closed :(

WIederling

Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:15 pm

KLDC10 wrote:

It is a "night train" going from Munich ( departure 00:01 ) to Essen ( arrival 8:01 )
( and the reason why it takes forever to cover those 671 km is "sleeping to your job" :-)

used to take the København - Flensburg - Hamburg .... Köln - Aachen regular night train on occasion.
Go to sleep near your home, wake up were you are set to work the next morning.
( to fit the sleep window these trains get parked here and there over the night. They are rather slow.)

But rather useful. Just like "Kurswagen".
Murphy is an optimist

KLDC10

Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:38 pm

VSMUT wrote:
KLDC10 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Oh, nice! Thanks for the information - I'm really excited about it!

WIederling wrote:
KLDC10 wrote:

It is a "night train" going from Munich ( departure 00:01 ) to Essen ( arrival 8:01 )
( and the reason why it takes forever to cover those 671 km is "sleeping to your job" :-)

used to take the København - Flensburg - Hamburg .... Köln - Aachen regular night train on occasion.
( to fit the sleep window these trains get parked here and there over the night. They are rather slow.)

Well, the whole reason for this trip was because I realized I'd be in Germany when Lufthansa is flying the 747 from Frankfurt to Berlin. In a fit of ill-conceived spontaneity, I booked a flight straight away. Turned out that actually getting to the airport is more difficult than anticipated ;) I'd prefer a proper night train to be honest - one which takes the whole night and on which one can sleep.

KLDC10

Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:39 pm

VSMUT wrote:
KLDC10 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Oh, nice! Thanks for the information - I'm really excited about it!

WIederling wrote:
KLDC10 wrote:

Well, the whole reason for this trip was because I realized I'd be in Germany when Lufthansa is flying the 747 from Frankfurt to Berlin. In a fit of ill-conceived spontaneity, I booked a flight straight away. Turned out that actually getting to the airport is more difficult than anticipated ;) I'd prefer a proper night train to be honest - one which takes the whole night and on which one can sleep.

BartSimpson

Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:55 pm

In unrelated news, Sweden beat the UK in the humour section:

Swedish rail company MTR Express named a new train "Trainy McTrainface" after this name was proposed in an online vote and won it.

See here:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jul/19/trainy-mctrainface-boaty-mcboatface-legacy-lives-on-in-swedish-train

WIederling

Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:32 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
I'd prefer a proper night train to be honest - one which takes the whole night and on which one can sleep.

I you can accept arrival 2 hours later you can reduce the transit time to 1h31. :-)
Murphy is an optimist