simonriat
Topic Author

If you won the lottery

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:08 pm

Hi

Just had a thought while watching criminal minds.

If you had the chance to buy your own private aircraft which would you go for?

The euromillions tonight is approximately £168 million or $220 million.

So lets use that as the budget for your aircraft.

Mine a gulfstream G650

Out of interest and another question, what type of license would I require to fly this with just my family?

Simon

Dutchy

Re: If you won the lottery

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:50 pm

Textron Scorpion sounds nice ;-)

Or more accessible: SIAI-Marchetti S.211

Both sounds a lot of fun.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Aesma

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:07 pm

With that kind of money you could fly a G650 regularly, but buying one would be foolish, it's one third of your money !

Personally I would buy a well used Dassault Falcon 900EX for about 10 mil. Well that would probably not be my only plane, just the most expensive one.

Dutchy is right on the money, some kind of jet trainer would be on the card.

With unlimited money, a demilitarized MIG-25 (Mach 3, baby !) or I would be like Branson or Musk and have a spaceplane built for me.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

TheFlyingDisk

Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:07 am

I'd buy a Cessna 182 and learn how to fly. Long range travel, just fly commercial in Business.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

11725Flyer

Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:27 pm

I would rather buy time on NetJets, Delta Private Jets, or a similar company. All the benefits without the hassle of owning the aircraft.

PC12Fan

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:58 pm

11725Flyer wrote:
I would rather buy time on NetJets, Delta Private Jets, or a similar company. All the benefits without the hassle of owning the aircraft.

Bingo.

However, I would have to seriously consider a PC-12NG (shocker, right?) or buy a C-210T and have it customized to my needs/taste. Anything else would just be gluttonous.
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

Siren

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:56 am

A well used Challenger 604. I don't need more than that...
Siren: 32 year old single white female based @ KLAX. Aviation nerd, political wonk, disability rights activist, German car enthusiast, Californian Independence leader & evangelist

SmithAir747

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:18 am

I wouldn't buy a plane...

But I would fly premium class to the UK, Europe, Australia, Brazil, and other places where my craniofacial colleagues (research and medical) are, as often as possible, to work with them and keep up my professional connections whilst also enjoying where I live or visit. (BA, Norwegian, QF, whoever.)

I would buy a nice little flat in central London as my global "headquarters" as well as whatever city I happen to be living and working in at the time if not living in London at the time. I lived in London before, and yearn to move back one day.

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

CanadaFair

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:27 am

Can nationals of countries with tax waiver agreement with US take full amount tax free? like if the winner of Powerball could take full 758.7 million if she was UK national.

Flighty

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:51 am

Siren wrote:
A well used Challenger 604. I don't need more than that...

Realistically if you get a $200m lottery award, you are clearing $100m.

For me that leaves about $5m for an aviation budget, over my lifetime. Now, most regular people would just get NetJets or something. But you can have a proud owner operated setup indeed on a $5m lifetime budget. I don't know what that would be exactly.

One option is a Cirrus SF50 ($2m). Or a used Phenom 100 ($1.8m). A used Gulfstream IV (~$4m) is very appealing but you really need more money. Its running costs are considerable. You should be a billionaire to feel comfortable running a Gulfstream.

Bostrom

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:22 am

11725Flyer wrote:

I'd probably do the same. But if I were to buy a plane and money is not a problem, I think I'd go for a Beech Starship. I love the strange futuristic look of it.

LMP737

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:25 pm

Bostrom wrote:

I'd probably do the same. But if I were to buy a plane and money is not a problem, I think I'd go for a Beech Starship. I love the strange futuristic look of it.

Good luck finding one.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

bhill

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:33 pm

Flight school....THEN a P-51 Mustang...
Carpe Pices

fallap

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:44 pm

Pilatus PC-21 NG

The rest will be dispersed on Champagne, women and cars.
Grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M

jetwet1

Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:25 pm

SmithAir747 wrote:

I would buy a nice little flat in central London as my global "headquarters" as well as whatever city I happen to be living and working in at the time if not living in London at the time. I lived in London before, and yearn to move back one day.

SmithAir747

Bad idea, you would want your global headquarters to be in a tax friendly environment, which London is certainly not.

Anyways, my choice.....

https://www.boatinternational.com/yacht ... ial--91721

Yes I know it's a yacht and not a plane, but that's the way I would go.

VSMUT

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:30 pm

I would take the flying club Cessna 172 on a very long trip. And upgrade to business class rather than economy whenever I go flying or take the train. And get a helicopter license for fun.

I would never want to own a plane, that stuff is just too messy with all the paperwork and servicing required.

Misterbrown

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:22 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
Bad idea, you would want your global headquarters to be in a tax friendly environment, which London is certainly not.

Why would anyone who just lucked into 220 million care about giving some of it back unless they're infected with the same disease as Donald Trump?

I usually hear about how people would "invest" the money in such circumstance. If all my life consisted of was making more and more money I would just shoot myself and save the rest of the world a problem.

330west

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:26 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
SmithAir747 wrote:

SmithAir747

Anyways, my choice.....

"Tax friendly" cities are generally crappy places to live.
Always fly first class, otherwise your heirs will.

Aesma

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:05 pm

In France you are not taxed on your lottery gains.

Still 200 mil is not enough, but I forgot one plane if I had unliminted money : a Beriev Be-200, to get to my private tropical island without needing an ugly runway on it.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

NoTime

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:22 pm

I'd buy a plane or two for personal use (maybe a Cirrus for short cross country, and a Pitts for the fun stuff). For anything longer than 300 miles, I'd use NetJets or Wheels Up.

Dutchy

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:40 pm

330west wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
SmithAir747 wrote:

SmithAir747

Anyways, my choice.....

Monaco isn't too bad though, or some tropical island, or English channel island, come to think of it, they are rather nice ;)
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

ChrisKen

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:59 pm

Flighty wrote:

Realistically if you get a $200m lottery award, you are clearing $100m.

Lotto/Euromillions wins are not taxed. Unlike the yanks, we get what's advertised and get it in full. None of that we'll give you a bit each year or a lump sum if you take a lower settlement nonsense.

330west

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:19 am

Dutchy wrote:
330west wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

Anyways, my choice.....

Monaco isn't too bad though, or some tropical island, or English channel island, come to think of it, they are rather nice ;)

I'd concur on Monaco but the channel islands are a bit desolate.
Always fly first class, otherwise your heirs will.

Classa64

Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:51 am

Honda Jet I guess, after owning there cars for all of my 30years of driving why break tradition :)
"Freedom is the miles i'm rolling on"

jetwet1

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:41 am

Misterbrown wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

Why would anyone who just lucked into 220 million care about giving some of it back unless they're infected with the same disease as Donald Trump?

I usually hear about how people would "invest" the money in such circumstance. If all my life consisted of was making more and more money I would just shoot myself and save the rest of the world a problem.

I guess you've never written a check for $20m plus, even when it's not your money you stop and think for a second, when it is your money reality would sink in.

If I were to hit the lottery (I would have to play it first) I would be investing it in a very low risk way, give me the 3-4% a year, I can very happily live on $6-8m a year and never have to worry about money again.

Redd

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:47 am

PC-12. Perfect for hopping around Europe, Africa & Asia. Can bring the family, loads of cargo & land in just about any airport. I have a PPL, would love to get some turbine time :)

Bostrom

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:14 pm

LMP737 wrote:
Bostrom wrote:

Good luck finding one.

I'll worry about that after I've won the lottery! :D

LMP737

Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:28 am

I think I would just do Net Jets for domestic and fly first class on international.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

flyingturtle

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:15 am

A Republic RC-3 Seabee for mee.
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

airkas1
Head Screener

Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:02 am

A Beech 35 Bonanza (v-tail) and a P-51 Mustang.

Calder

Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:44 pm

There's something about single turboprops that I really like.

So I'll echo some of those above me and say I'd have either a PC-12, a TBM 930, Cessna Denali (depending on its teething problems), and maybe a Lancair evo (with the Walter) for those trips when it's just me.

Edit: Almost forgot, throw me in for a custom built Scaled Model 158 (Pond Racer), because it's just so damn sexy.
C. T.

JammyBritton27

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm

Gulfstream G650 is a great choice.
If I win a lottery I'd probably want to build my own design, similar to Cessna 510 Mustang :bouncy: