Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AA747123
Topic Author

Which aviation museum is better

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:55 pm

I have some holiday time later this month. I am trying to decide between the aviation museum at Le Bourget airport near Paris or the Aviodrone museum near AMS.. Has anyone been to one/both? Which one do you prefer.

petertenthije

Re: Which aviation museum is better

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:41 pm

Le Bourget has a larger and better collection. I don't think anything matches their collection in size and scope, except for the Smithsonian, the USAF museum and Duxford

If you want to make photos I think that the Aviodrome is better. The Aviodrome is a newer museum and this shows in particular with the much better lighting. Also, the planes are not tucked together as closely as they are at Le Bourget.

Maybe something else to consider: if you want to go plane spotting at CDG you will need a permit. At AMS and LEY you are pretty much free to do whatever you want as long as you do not trespass and park your car in designated areas.

AA747123
Topic Author

Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:32 am

Thanks, I was leaning toward Aviodrome, as AMS also has some great opportunities for spotting

Dutchy

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:47 am

Aviodrome is in Lelystad airport, nowadays, not at Schiphol. I think it is a great museum, lot's of Fokker stuff of course and they have the original building form the 1930's from Schiphol. You could combine it with a visit to the Army/Air Force museum in Soesterberg, also a nice collection of airplanes and in a great national park, which used to be Soesterberg Airbase.

Don't know about Le Bourget, never visited the museum, only the airshow ones. ;-)

Don't know where you are located, but if you really want to make a trip, you could do both, just take the train between Amsterdam and Paris.