Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Max Q
Topic Author

Anyone bought an I phone 8 ?

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:50 am

I’ve been using an i phone SE for some
time and I’m happy with it for the most
part (especially the battery life) and I like the compactness with easy one handed
operation.

But, a bigger screen would be nice so I’m considering the I p 7 or 8 (the plus is too big)

Since I don’t plan to upgrade every year
I would probably go for the latest model
and get the-8, I’ve played with it a bit
and it’s a nice product but I have two concerns, how is the real world battery
life ? and i’m concerned about the glass
back.

It seems it could be quite fragile, I intend
to use a Tendlin soft case which has been
fine for my current SE but not so sure
if it would be adequate for the-8

The other alternative is the -7 which is not
the latest and greatest of course but it
does have a metal back eliminating
those concerns.

Dutchy

Re: Anyone bought an I phone 8 ?

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:58 am

The IPhone X is the latest and the greatest. I would save a few hundred bucks and get the 7 if your choice is between the 7 and 8. As far as I have read the 8 offers too little of a leap to warrant the premium. I think the X is too much money, 1.300euro's. The 7 should be available with a discount or you could get a refurbished example :D

Max Q
Topic Author

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:48 am

Not interested in the X, not available yet anyway

Dutchy

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:42 am

Why aren't you interested in the X? I am thinking about it, but I think it is a bit too expensive

OA260

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:11 am

Im on the iPhone 7 at present but do not have any interest in the 8. The X I will want to see it in the store and try it out to see if I will bite.

VonRichtofen

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:13 am

I have an iPhone 8.

If you're upgrading from an SE then I'd say you should go for the 8 and not the 7. The 8 has the same internal specs as the X, so it will be just as future proof and relevant for years. If you already had an iPhone 7 then I wouldn't recommend getting an 8.

My real world battery life has been excellent. Off charger for about 9 hours while I'm at work and I usually get home with about 60%-70% battery after moderate use. If work was busy and the phone was in my pocket for more time then I've come home with over 80%. Standby time is also excellent. Only losing a few percent after an 8 hour sleep.

Like you, I'm not interested in the X. Way too high of price for what's basically Apple's Samsung reactionary device. Plus I personally would rather use Touch ID over face ID. Not worth the huge price difference. I can live without Animojis haha.

As far as fragility with the glass back: I think it will handle wear and tear quite well. It's way stronger glass than what was on the iPhone 4S back and I managed to keep that intact despite not using a case. For my iPhone 8 I'm just using an Apple silicone case.

maortega15

Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:14 am

IMO, the design of the 8 is kinda boring for me. It's been the same design since 6. They just made the phone thinner, removed the headphone jack and called it the 7. Changed the back housing to glass, added wireless charging and called it the 8.

As for the X, the "notch" on the top of the screen kinda looks awkward. They should've at least made it a full strip so it's a full screen.

But from what I've heard, it's faster than an i5 Macbook Pro so it'll be good for years to come.

Max Q
Topic Author

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:21 pm

Thanks Vr for your detailed reply, you sound like you’re pretty happy with your

Couple more questions, how much memory did you get ? I see you’re using a soft case
Do you have a screen protector of any kind?

How are wireless headphones ?

Does the notch at the top of the screen cause any issues?

Do you have iOS 11 and any glitches ?

What was your last phone and how does it compare ?

Anything at all you DONT like about the -8 ?

dtw2hyd

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:39 pm

My suggestion is to wait until the new year and decide if you want 8 or X. Right now 7 is your best bet.

SE still is a current model, It has the same A9/M8 processor as with 6s without 3D.
8 is the shortest lived iPhone
X is the first generation and will have teething problems. Face id without Touch id is not the most brilliant idea.

From 6 to 8 only thing changed is 3D, gaming and camera capabilities.
Initial production batches will have quality issues, learned the hard way after buying every iPhone on release date.
IMHO If you wait 6 months after release date, you will get a better-built phone.

iOS 11 allows you to delete a lot of apps and offload apps not frequently used. It will give better battery performance for older models.

X weighs 179g vs SE at 113g. While you may enjoy the bigger screen size, you will feel the high-density brick in your pocket.

mmo

Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:52 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
a.

From 6 to 8 only thing changed is 3D, gaming and camera capabilities..

Not true. The IPhone has an A-10 which is 40% faster processing than the A-9 in the IPhone 6. The IPhone 8 has the A-11 which is a 6 core chip.

dtw2hyd

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:03 pm

mmo wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
a.

Not true. The IPhone has an A-10 which is 40% faster processing than the A-9 in the IPhone 6. The IPhone 8 has the A-11 which is a 6 core chip.

If you parse my whole sentence, it implies if you don't need "3D, gaming, and camera" you don't need more processing power.

casinterest

Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:11 pm

My Iphone 7 is wicked fast on IOS 11, so I won't be upgrading even though I have the Apple plan.

I see nothing revolutionary in the 8 or X that piques my interest.

The wireless charging of the 8 and the faster processor would be the upgrade reason for those on a 6+ or lower that are ready for a new phone.

IOS 11 is not my favorite OS at this point, but i just recently started using it. It may be my adjustment period at this point. The fact that a few nice apps are disabled is a bit of a pain.

mmo

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:07 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
mmo wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
a.

If you parse my whole sentence, it implies if you don't need "3D, gaming, and camera" you don't need more processing power.

I beg to differ, the A-10 is significantly faster than the A-9. Your statement implies the the 7 had no improvement over the 6. Perhaps restructuring the sentence would be a better option than having people guess.

dtw2hyd

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:02 pm

mmo wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
mmo wrote:

I beg to differ, the A-10 is significantly faster than the A-9. Your statement implies the the 7 had no improvement over the 6. Perhaps restructuring the sentence would be a better option than having people guess.

If you use smart phone to talk, text and e-mail like most business users, A9/A10/A11 performance improvement is irrelevant.

If you want to play 3D video games, or take/edit high quality pics/videos or want to send unicorn/turd animojis, sure you need X.

For a SE owner (which is better than 6 and meets/beats 6s) 7 gives best value.

If you are on 6/6s you dont need an upgrade unless you have issues with your current.

BTW, I have SE, 6, 6s and 7. Just sold 5s. No plans to jump on 8 or X.

With stipped down iOS 11, SE is more responsive than 6s.

VonRichtofen

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:24 pm

Max Q wrote:
Thanks Vr for your detailed reply, you sound like you’re pretty happy with your

Couple more questions, how much memory did you get ? I see you’re using a soft case
Do you have a screen protector of any kind?

How are wireless headphones ?

Does the notch at the top of the screen cause any issues?

Do you have iOS 11 and any glitches ?

What was your last phone and how does it compare ?

Anything at all you DONT like about the -8 ?

- I got the 64GB. I find that adequate for my needs.

- No screen protector. I haven't bothered with those for a couple of years now as I find the glass is strong enough on modern phones.

- I actually don't have any wireless headphones. I'm using my Sennheiser earbuds with the headphone jack adapter that comes with the phone. Kind of annoying to use that but I've gotten used to it. The sound quality from the iPhone 8 is excellent.

- There is no notch at the top of the screen on the iPhone 8.

- Yes the 8 comes with iOS 11 out of the box. There was a glitch when I first got the phone where apps just stopped downloading from the app store but the next day iOS 11.01 came out and it fixed it. Haven't had any issues since.

- My last phone was actually two phones. Google Pixel and LG G6. Hard to compare as they're two different OS each with their own pros and cons. I'd say the iPhone is def a smoother experience than the LG G6, but equal to the Pixel. The battery life on iPhone beats both quite handily, but I'd say the camera is slightly better on the Pixel.

- Being a guy who's used high end Android devices, my biggest gripe with the iPhone 8 isn't about the phone itself but more iOS lack of customization and odd little things which to me don't make any sense. For example why can't you access camera settings from within the camera app??

Overall I'm very happy with it. I'm actually really enjoying Touch ID, 3D touch and the haptic feedback of the haptic engine. Once you use it a lot it really makes a difference. I also used Apple Pay for the first time yesterday. Very convenient and more secure than a card.

Hope this helps.

Max Q
Topic Author

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:03 pm

Thanks Vr for that information, I confused the X with the -8 as concerns the ‘notch’

If I decide to upgrade I will go for the-8, might as well have the latest

I don’t think I’d like the X with no home button

Still a bit torn about upgrading, I really like the SE, it is a great little
phone, better battery life than my Sons -7 and maybe the -8 ? and it’s very fast, I also have the 128 memory which gives me a lot of storage

The larger screen is much easier to read however and I like the better, louder sound, Is the audio when you’re using the phone itself louder and clearer ?

My eyes and hearing are not what they used to be

In particular I find reading A.net on my SE impossible without my reading glasses, wonder if that would be different with the -8 larger screen ?

Thanks everyone for your very useful information, FYI four months ago I was using a Nokia flip phone
so this is a whole new world for me

Ken777

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:10 pm

I have a 7 and haven't moved to iOS 11 because I have to go through all apps to see which ones won't work. iOS is a 64 bit OS and does not support older. 32 Bit so I have to go through all apps (mostly for the grandkids) and clear out a lot of old apps.

I have read that iOS 11 drains batteries rather fast, and spotted the following article:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/col ... 721040001/

Being on USAToday it's not going to be the most technical article, but it does present basic steps that can help. It'll probably help users of older iPhones as well.

When the dust clears I'll be looking at a new iPhone next year. The 8 and future iPhones seem to me to be a giant step on smart phones. This basic thought came from reading that the new A 11 Bionic chip actually out performs the I 5 processor in my 6 month old MacBook Pro! That is going to open a lot of doors for more demanding apps in the iPhone and iPad areas.

Max Q
Topic Author

Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:24 am

The first day after I downloaded iOS 11 my battery went from 100 to 40% in 10 minutes of use but that was a one time occurrence and the only issue I’ve had since then is not being able to log on wi fi at my gym

But it’s always been glitchy there anyway, not a problem anywhere else

VonRichtofen

Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:58 am

Max Q wrote:

The larger screen is much easier to read however and I like the better, louder sound, Is the audio when you’re using the phone itself louder and clearer ?

With earphones I find the 8 to be much louder than my Android phones. My Android phones I'd have to have on near max volume.

The speakers on the phone are an improvement as well. The 8 has stereo speaks which I believe are supposed to be significantly louder than on the 7.

Max Q
Topic Author

Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:06 am

Understand but is the phone speaker at the top of the phone (that you actually hold to your ear)
any louder on the -8 than the -SE or the -7 ?

maortega15

Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:09 am

Max Q wrote:
Understand but is the phone speaker at the top of the phone (that you actually hold to your ear)

Around 3:30 in the video should give a good answer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld5H2L4j6LE

VonRichtofen

Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:33 am

Max Q wrote:

That I'm not sure. I've never used an iPhone 7 or SE to make a phone call.

EA CO AS

Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:36 am

I currently own an iPhone 6 Plus, and I'm debating getting either the 7 Plus or 8 Plus. Love the idea of going up to 256GB of storage, love the faster processor, not loving the lack of a headphone jack (yes, I'm one of those people!), and just don't see the need for the iPhone X at this point.

I may go with saving a buck or three and getting the 7 Plus instead, but aren't sold on that idea either.

Max Q
Topic Author

Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:00 am

maortega15 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

Around 3:30 in the video should give a good answer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld5H2L4j6LE

Well thanks but that doesn't answer my question, he demonstrates the volume level of the speakers but did
not make any comment about the separate phone speaker volume.

Flighty

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:50 am

I'm thinking of buying a 6S. I am not interested in the ones without headphone jack. Kind of like a computer with one USB port like Apple sells now. That's like selling a refrigerator that holds one ice cube or something like that. - strictly for the rich and clueless. And if you're more clueless than me, you've got problems. Only my opinion.

11725Flyer

Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:04 am

Just went yesterday to buy the 8 because my wife's phone died. My only complaint is that Verizon didn't have the style I wanted in stock. They blamed Apple.

Max Q
Topic Author

Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:10 am

Any I p 7 or 8 user found a good solution to the lack of a headphone
jack if you want to plug in to an ‘aux’ connector and charge simultaneously in your car ?

Ken777

Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:52 am

Max Q wrote:
Any I p 7 or 8 user found a good solution to the lack of a headphone
jack if you want to plug in to an ‘aux’ connector and charge simultaneously in your car ?

Like this one?

https://i7adapter.myshopify.com/product ... gIhrPD_BwE

Max Q
Topic Author

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:29 am

That looks like it would work

I notice it says ‘compatible with iOS 10’
wonder how it does with updates, we’re on
iOS 11 now

dtw2hyd

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:08 am

If you don't have USB car adapter and lightning cable

You definitely need, 3.5mm Audio + Charger Rockstar

and based on where you are plugging into you need
(or)

You should look into a Bluetooth option, it may be cheaper to replace your car radio unit than buying all these components.

edmaircraft

Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:31 am

I personally found the iPhone 8 extraordinarily underwhelming. Same basic design of the iPhone 7, which is the same as the 6, with technology that is called "state of the art" but has been in Android phones for years. iOS 11 is underwhelming too...a few nice changes, of course, but no real upgrade. All of this costs a minimum of $929 CAD. I personally would use that money on a Google Pixel 2.

I'm an Android guy, if it wasn't showing. Lol. I use a Oneplus X.

seabiscuit

Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:23 am

I have the IOS 11, Iphone 6. I really liked the price for about $200 through Cricket Wireless. The size is perfect for my hand. The IOS 11 is nice because it turns off the notifications while I am driving.

I use to be an Android fan. However, I got irritated whenever a new major version came out and my phone model was not eligible for the upgrade.

Dutchy

Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:03 am

Just wait a few years and your iPhone will not be upgraded either.

Klaus

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:56 am

Dutchy wrote:

Sure, there's just a difference between that happening right away or after one or two years as with Android or only after five years as with an iPhone.

My three years old iPhone 6 got iOS11 on the same day as all the newer models, and it will get at least iOS12 next year, too.

OA260

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:13 am

Dutchy wrote:

That is just the way technology is. Its moving ahead all the time. For those less tech geek people they still get plenty of years with a phone upgradable within its average shelf live. A mate of mine has a 5S on IOS 11 and working much better then before.

Aeroflot777

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:58 am

Klaus wrote:
My three years old iPhone 6 got iOS11 on the same day as all the newer models, and it will get at least iOS12 next year, too.

:checkmark:

EA CO AS wrote:
I currently own an iPhone 6 Plus, and I'm debating getting either the 7 Plus or 8 Plus.

Why? I too have a three-year old iPhone 6 Plus, currently running iOS11. I will admit, my phone has slowed down quite drastically, tons of lag. However, doesn't seem like either the 7 Plus or the 8 Plus will offer a huge bump from what I already have in my pocket. When I was Stateside a few weeks ago, a friend in Austria asked me to buy him an 8 Plus and bring back when I return, so I had a few weeks to play around with the upgrade. Apart from the camera and speed stuff, can't say it's worth anything special, definitely not the added $800+ you'd pay to ditch your 6 Plus. Perhaps something exciting will come along our way next year. :crossfingers:

Klaus

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:04 am

Ken777 wrote:
I have a 7 and haven't moved to iOS 11 because I have to go through all apps to see which ones won't work. iOS is a 64 bit OS and does not support older. 32 Bit so I have to go through all apps (mostly for the grandkids) and clear out a lot of old apps.

You can go to Settings > General > About > Applications to see only the 32 bit ones which won't work right away with iOS 11. Many of mine have been updated to 64 bit recently and some are now coming in after the switch, so it's good that iOS 11 still preserves them and just won't start them any more until they're updated. When such an update comes in later, the new 64 bit version of the app will continue to use the existing settings and data, so it's a good idea to still keep the more important ones around for a while.

Important: iOS 11 will only keep the 32 bit apps if it is updated over the air on the device itself, not via iTunes!

I have read that iOS 11 drains batteries rather fast, and spotted the following article:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/col ... 721040001/

Being on USAToday it's not going to be the most technical article, but it does present basic steps that can help. It'll probably help users of older iPhones as well.

The article seems to have some good hints, just be aware of one thing:
Directly after the upgrade iOS will rebuild its Spotlight search index which will both slow down the device for a while and which can cause some significant battery drain. So it's a good idea to make the upgrade in the evening and then charge it overnight. Then the next day battery life should be perfectly normal again.

On my iPhone 6 battery life is at least the same under iOS 11 as before under iOS 10. But if you have some apps which consume more power under iOS 11 they and iOS itself will most probably receive efficiency updates soon.

When the dust clears I'll be looking at a new iPhone next year. The 8 and future iPhones seem to me to be a giant step on smart phones. This basic thought came from reading that the new A 11 Bionic chip actually out performs the I 5 processor in my 6 month old MacBook Pro! That is going to open a lot of doors for more demanding apps in the iPhone and iPad areas.

The performance progression there is quite remarkable indeed. I guess I'll have a closer look at next year's models again, but my "old" iPhone 6 still works perfectly fine under iOS 11 so far.

Klaus

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:11 am

Aeroflot777 wrote:
I too have a three-year old iPhone 6 Plus, currently running iOS11. I will admit, my phone has slowed down quite drastically, tons of lag.

Doesn't feel like that to me, but to a certain degree some slowdown can happen with a new feature upgrade because for that stability of the newly added features and other changes is usually prioritized over performance, and then performance gets improved with later minor updates again (performance updates).

Dutchy

Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:36 am

OA260 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

That is just the way technology is. Its moving ahead all the time. For those less tech geek people they still get plenty of years with a phone upgradable within its average shelf live. A mate of mine has a 5S on IOS 11 and working much better then before.

thanks, I need to update my 5s as well.

Aeroflot777

Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:24 pm

Klaus wrote:
Doesn't feel like that to me, but to a certain degree some slowdown can happen with a new feature upgrade

Some slowdown is definitely expected. But I conduct a lot of my work via mobile and the difference is significant. Plus all the instabilities and bugs of the new OS, I just wish there was some easy way to revert back to iOS 10, I should have never upgraded.

dtw2hyd

Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:18 pm

Aeroflot777 wrote:
Klaus wrote:
Doesn't feel like that to me, but to a certain degree some slowdown can happen with a new feature upgrade

Some slowdown is definitely expected. But I conduct a lot of my work via mobile and the difference is significant. Plus all the instabilities and bugs of the new OS, I just wish there was some easy way to revert back to iOS 10, I should have never upgraded.

Interesting, 11 didn't slow down my 6/7 or SE. Though SE has a faster processor than 6 with a smaller screen. Did you update to 11.0.2??

Aeroflot777

Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:09 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Did you update to 11.0.2??

I'm on 11.0.3. Apps take a while to load after pressed. Siri takes 3 or 4 times longer to respond.

EA CO AS

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:04 am

Aeroflot777 wrote:
Klaus wrote:

:checkmark:

EA CO AS wrote:
I currently own an iPhone 6 Plus, and I'm debating getting either the 7 Plus or 8 Plus.

Why? I too have a three-year old iPhone 6 Plus, currently running iOS11. I will admit, my phone has slowed down quite drastically, tons of lag. However, doesn't seem like either the 7 Plus or the 8 Plus will offer a huge bump from what I already have in my pocket. When I was Stateside a few weeks ago, a friend in Austria asked me to buy him an 8 Plus and bring back when I return, so I had a few weeks to play around with the upgrade. Apart from the camera and speed stuff, can't say it's worth anything special, definitely not the added $800+ you'd pay to ditch your 6 Plus. Perhaps something exciting will come along our way next year. :crossfingers:

Unless I’m mistaken, the iPhone 7 Plus and 8 Plus offer either twice or triple the RAM than my current iPhone 6 Plus. And again, I’m finding I’m coming up against the 128GB limit of my 6 Plus and would upgrade to 256GB.

To me, those are all compelling reasons.

Max Q
Topic Author

Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:33 am

Decided to stay with my SE for now

My biggest issue with the 7$8 is the home button, really dislike the
‘Haptic feedback’

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:46 am

Max Q wrote:
Decided to stay with my SE for now

My biggest issue with the 7$8 is the home button, really dislike the
‘Haptic feedback’

Why not upgrade to an Android - either the Google Pixel 2 or the Galaxy S8?

With the Galaxy S8 you'll get iPhone X features for iPhone 8 prices. I've made the switch & have not looked back since.

Max Q
Topic Author

Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:45 am

No Androids for me !

Seriously, a few months ago I was using a Nokia flip phone, still learning the I phone, although I find it very user friendly and intuitive I certainly don’t want to change to a whole different system at this point