Airstud
Topic Author

Borderoid crossing (i.e., national subdivisions)

Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:59 am

Several times now I have driven from Minneapolis to Santa Fe y back. When you drive into Colorado from Nebraska on U.S. Highway 34, there ain't no sign welcoming you to Colorado or, for that matter, informing you that you are entering Colorado, whether you are welcome there or not.

On Minnesota Highway 60, which becomes Iowa Highway 60 (that was nice of them) there's a big ol' sign saying "The People of Iowa Welcome You" (only that just makes me wonder if they put installing that particular sign up to a plebiscite vote).

When I drove back from Massachusetts a coupla Thanksgivings ago, the sign as you enter New York state on I-90 said "You are now leaving Massachusetts - Come Back Soon." And this moved Kansas ahead of Massachusetts on my States To Return To List. Do you know why? Because when you drive up Kansas Highway 161 and cross the border into Benkelman, Nebraska, the sign says that you are leaving Kansas and adds, "Please Come Back Soon."

It would kill Massachusetts to say "please?"

I don't have opinions about the signage in other countries, since the U.S. is the only country whose subdivisions I have ever crossed by road (unless we drove across "shire" lines in the U.K. in 1985. Do they have signs in the U.K. telling you you are now entering, say, Leicestershire from... somewhere that borders Leicestershire? Is there fairly thorough signage in the UK for this sort of thing, or do they take more of a Colorado-on-US-34-type approach? :irked: )

¿Hay letreras en México que te dicen cuando estás entrando Chihuahua desde Durango?

What about France? (I thought France was divided into "départments" but I just checked Wiki and it says "regions." :boggled: )

I think South Africa has nine provinces now.
Pancakes are delicious.

ryan78

Re: Borderoid crossing (i.e., national subdivisions)

Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:11 am

Airstud wrote:
When I drove back from Massachusetts a coupla Thanksgivings ago, the sign as you enter New York state on I-90 said "You are now leaving Massachusetts - Come Back Soon." And this moved Kansas ahead of Massachusetts on my States To Return To List. Do you know why? Because when you drive up Kansas Highway 161 and cross the border into Benkelman, Nebraska, the sign says that you are leaving Kansas and adds, "Please Come Back Soon."

What the hell is the point of this thread?? This is an aviation forum, not a forum to discuss your hatred for impolite road signs... Grow up.

Airstud
Topic Author

Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:56 am

ryan78 wrote:
Airstud wrote:

What the hell is the point of this thread?? This is an aviation forum, not a forum to discuss your hatred for impolite road signs... Grow up.

Forum title says "Travel Polls," not aviation.

And the thread is about road travel, not "hatred" for impolite signs. Jeez.
Pancakes are delicious.

Bostrom

Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:56 am

Airstud wrote:
ryan78 wrote:
Airstud wrote:

No, it says "Travel, Polls & Preferences". And this thread should have been in Non Aviation.

However, to answer your question, yes the signs exist in the UK, at least at major roads. An example from the border between Fife and Perth & Kinross.

Airstud
Topic Author

Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:14 am

Bostrom wrote:
Airstud wrote:
ryan78 wrote:

No, it says "Travel, Polls & Preferences". And this thread should have been in Non Aviation.

However, to answer your question, yes the signs exist in the UK, at least at major roads. An example from the border between Fife and Perth & Kinross.

Gracias for the reply. (But "Kingdom" of Fife? I thought there was only one "kingdom" over there, after 1606... :scratchchin: )
Pancakes are delicious.

Bostrom

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:52 pm

Airstud wrote:

Gracias for the reply. (But "Kingdom" of Fife? I thought there was only one "kingdom" over there, after 1606... :scratchchin: )

Log story, but basically because the old Pictish Kingdom Fib was located where the modern day Fife is.

And regarding France, Metropolitan France and the Départements d'Outre Mer are divided into départements, which are grouped in regions. The départements are also subdivided into arrondissement. And yes, there are border signs between the départements. Google street view is a great way to explore, here is an example from South Africa.

zkojq

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:46 pm

Alpes-Maritimes. The best department.

https://www.google.co.nz/maps/@43.53373 ... l=en&hl=en
Most recent planes I've been in: A318 F-GUGQ, A319 F-GRHR, A320ceo D-AIZH, A320neo D-AINE, A330-300 VH-QPD, A350-900 B-LRA, A380-800 D-AIMH, 737-600 LN-RPA, 737-700 OY-JTY, 737-800 LN-NGA, 767-300 ZK-NCI, 777-200 ZK-OKD, 787-9 ZK-NZH PW94

vikkyvik

Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:21 pm

Airstud wrote:

Yes.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Aesma

Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:05 pm

Border signs between French départements are fairly standardized, as shown by the examples provided.

There are also signs between régions, those are less standard, and can include things like "welcome to this région" or "you are in région something, famous for this or that".

I haven't paid much attention to these lately, a lot of them had to be changed because the régions were remade a couple years ago, from 22 régions to 13. Mine didn't change (Ile-de-France, around Paris), and the one where I'm vacationing most often (Bretagne) didn't either.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams