User avatar
mke717spotter
Topic Author
Posts: 2015
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:32 am

2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:15 am

The last round of qualifiers for Russia 2018 are coming up this week and then the play-off round will occur about a month later. How is everyone feeling about their respective countries? Its been an up and down campaign for the US team and they didn't impress the last two games, so now they've got their work cut out for them. The schedule is favorable so I think they should be able to get it done one way or another, but if they don't then obviously its a huge failure. I'm also hoping Poland can make it back to the finals for the first time since 2006. They only need four points from their last two games to guarantee qualification. I know the FIFA rankings are flawed but its kind of amazing that they were able to get up to #5 during the summer, and that high ranking should land them in pot one for the finals draw. I've included the current qualification standings below with teams that have already qualified and those that are still in contention.

AFC:

Iran, South Korea, Japan and Saudi Arabia have qualified. Australia faces Syria in a two-legged playoff and then the winner advances the play the 4th place CONCACAF team in another playoff.

CAF:

Group A
Tunisia 10 pts
DR Congo 7 pts

Group B
Nigeria 10 pts
Zambia 7 pts

Group C
Ivory Coast 7 pts
Morocco 6 pts
Gabon 5 pts
Mali 2 pts

Group D
Burkina Faso 6 pts
Cape Verde 6 pts
Senegal 5 pts
South Africa 1 pt

Group E
Egypt 9 pts
Uganda 7 pts
Ghana 5 pts

CONCACAF:

Mexico 18 pts (qualified)
Costa Rica 15 pts
Panama 10 pts
United States 9 pts
Honduras 9 pts
Trinidad & Tobago 3 pts

CONMEBOL:

Brazil 37 pts (qualified)
Uruguay 27 pts
Colombia 26 pts
Peru 24 pts
Argentina 24 pts
Chile 23 pts
Paraguay 21 pts
Ecuador 20 pts

OFC:

New Zealand will face the 5th placed team from CONMEBOL

UEFA:

Group A
France 17 pts
Sweden 16 pts
Netherlands 13 pts
Bulgaria 12 pts

Group B
Switzerland 24 pts
Portugal 21 pts

Group C
Germany 24 pts
Northern Ireland 19 pts

Group D
Serbia 18 pts
Wales 14 pts
Republic of Ireland 13 pts
Austria 9 pts

Group E
Poland 19 pts
Montenegro 16 pts
Denmark 16 pts

Group F
England 20 pts
Slovakia 15 pts
Slovenia 14 pts
Scotland 14 pts

Group G
Spain 22 pts
Italy 19 pts
Albania 13 pts

Group H
Belgium 22 pts (qualified)
Bosnia & Herzegovina 14 pts
Greece 13 pts
Cyprus 10 pts

Group I
Croatia 16 pts
Iceland 16 pts
Turkey 14 pts
Ukraine 14 pts
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.
 
User avatar
mke717spotter
Topic Author
Posts: 2015
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:32 am

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:26 am

After today's games there's a very real possibility that Argentina will miss out on the World Cup for the first time since 1970.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.
 
User avatar
MrHMSH
Posts: 1999
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:46 pm

mke717spotter wrote:
After today's games there's a very real possibility that Argentina will miss out on the World Cup for the first time since 1970.


That would be an absolute shocker considering the players they have. All teams can have rough spells, but Argentina should be qualifying.

I'm happy that England made it through but they're dire to watch and the tournament is not going to be fun for them. I also hope Scotland make it. The playoffs will have some big names in them.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 3747
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:15 pm

I am pleased to announce the Dutch football team decided to boycott Russia, so they decided to play so bad that they will not have to go ;-)
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
Derico
Posts: 4274
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 1999 9:14 am

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:27 pm

I would assume the pertinent authorities are keeping all eyes on any unusual volume of Rubles or AR pesos mysteriously adding liquidity to the Ecuadorian forex markets...

Argentina deserves to be out for having a bad team and and a worse governing body. All sports from tennis to rugby to basketball have fallen off the cliff because of simultaneous infighting and also a crackdown by the government on the old guard. So the sports situation is chaotic.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down
 
Pampot70
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:01 am

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:39 am

After the humiliating result of Italy versus Macedonia (1-1 in Turin) the failed manager Ventura is happy for having brought Italy to the level of Argentina :banghead:
 
ltbewr
Posts: 12960
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:39 am

USA beat Panama 4-0 Friday night. Still has a chance to be in the WC.
 
User avatar
mke717spotter
Topic Author
Posts: 2015
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:32 am

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:00 am

The US is out and I am at a loss. I can't remember the last time I felt this bad. All they needed to do was tie against Trinidad & Tobago, the last place team in the group, and they completely blew it. What I can't fathom is that the team was completely lifeless for first 45 minutes and didn't even look interested in playing. Are you telling me they somehow forgot that their World Cup spot was on the line? Unbelievable. All that talk about trying to take the next step on the world stage and then this happens.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 3747
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:52 am

And The Netherlands is out. Luckily I am being adopted by Belgium, so I am cool for next year ;)

But what a disgrace for the number 3 of last world cup.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
TheSonntag
Posts: 4386
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:23 pm

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:44 am

As a German, I feel very sorry for the Dutch. I am serious, no Schadenfreude there. It is much funnier to have the rivalry on the field, and I really feel sorry for Robben.

The Dutch didn't lose it this game, though. But I wonder, what has happened to the Netherlands? In the Champions League, the Dutch Teams are nowhere to be seen anymore, and on the national team, there is no real way Forward...

What a shame. Hopefully we will see you around 2020!
 
JJJ
Posts: 2549
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 5:12 pm

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:13 am

TheSonntag wrote:
The Dutch didn't lose it this game, though. But I wonder, what has happened to the Netherlands? In the Champions League, the Dutch Teams are nowhere to be seen anymore, and on the national team, there is no real way Forward...


The CL is a money league. The only way to realistically compete is with a huge budget or a once in a lifetime squad that will be subsequently dismantled by the big spenders.
 
TheSonntag
Posts: 4386
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:23 pm

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:34 pm

JJJ wrote:
TheSonntag wrote:
The Dutch didn't lose it this game, though. But I wonder, what has happened to the Netherlands? In the Champions League, the Dutch Teams are nowhere to be seen anymore, and on the national team, there is no real way Forward...


The CL is a money league. The only way to realistically compete is with a huge budget or a once in a lifetime squad that will be subsequently dismantled by the big spenders.


While that is true and while the salary difference between the different leagues has become too large in the last few years, other countries seem to be a bit more succesful.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 3747
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:05 pm

TheSonntag wrote:
JJJ wrote:
TheSonntag wrote:
The Dutch didn't lose it this game, though. But I wonder, what has happened to the Netherlands? In the Champions League, the Dutch Teams are nowhere to be seen anymore, and on the national team, there is no real way Forward...


The CL is a money league. The only way to realistically compete is with a huge budget or a once in a lifetime squad that will be subsequently dismantled by the big spenders.


While that is true and while the salary difference between the different leagues has become too large in the last few years, other countries seem to be a bit more succesful.


I think players whom are talented are being bought way too early in their carries by English, Spanish or German teams, there they will end up on the bench so they don't develop their skills like they should be doing early in their carriers. They need to have play time to become top notch.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
bhill
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2001 8:28 am

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:35 pm

Well, that SUCKED!!!
Carpe Pices
 
bhill
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2001 8:28 am

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:37 pm

mke717spotter wrote:
The US is out and I am at a loss. I can't remember the last time I felt this bad. All they needed to do was tie against Trinidad & Tobago, the last place team in the group, and they completely blew it. What I can't fathom is that the team was completely lifeless for first 45 minutes and didn't even look interested in playing. Are you telling me they somehow forgot that their World Cup spot was on the line? Unbelievable. All that talk about trying to take the next step on the world stage and then this happens.



Absolutely correct....compared to the last match, they acted drugged....

Trinidad and Tobago....go frikken figgure!!!!!!!!
Carpe Pices
 
tommy1808
Posts: 6615
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:07 pm

TheSonntag wrote:
As a German, I feel very sorry for the Dutch. I am serious, no Schadenfreude there. It is much funnier to have the rivalry


I agree, NL-DE is a classic.

bhill wrote:

Absolutely correct....compared to the last match, they acted drugged....

Trinidad and Tobago....go frikken figgure!!!!!!!!


Well, they found a whole new way to avoid the kneeling or standing issue.

Best regards
Thomas
Times are changing: 70 years ago the USA went to war to defeat the Nazis, now they elect them to run their country.
 
User avatar
GrahamHill
Posts: 3008
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:35 am

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:29 pm

mke717spotter wrote:
The US is out and I am at a loss. I can't remember the last time I felt this bad. All they needed to do was tie against Trinidad & Tobago, the last place team in the group, and they completely blew it. What I can't fathom is that the team was completely lifeless for first 45 minutes and didn't even look interested in playing. Are you telling me they somehow forgot that their World Cup spot was on the line? Unbelievable. All that talk about trying to take the next step on the world stage and then this happens.


Legitimate rant by Taylor Twellman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXcifkgFkho
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 3747
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:33 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
TheSonntag wrote:
As a German, I feel very sorry for the Dutch. I am serious, no Schadenfreude there. It is much funnier to have the rivalry


I agree, NL-DE is a classic.


Thank you, you are too kind. Didn't know Germans where into this classic. 21 juni 1988...... :white:
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 3747
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:49 pm

wingman wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

I agree, NL-DE is a classic.


Thank you, you are too kind. Didn't know Germans where into this classic. 21 juni 1988...... :white:


Note he says "funnier" and not "more fun". I think he's taking this piss and will miss the laughs the Germans get dismantling your team like so much Bratwurst and then burping up a giggling victory cheer.


The current Dutch team will have a problem winning in Andora. So you can take a piss, but the truth will be much worse :lol:
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
wingman
Posts: 3239
Joined: Thu May 27, 1999 4:25 am

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:50 pm

Dutchy wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
TheSonntag wrote:
As a German, I feel very sorry for the Dutch. I am serious, no Schadenfreude there. It is much funnier to have the rivalry


I agree, NL-DE is a classic.


Thank you, you are too kind. Didn't know Germans where into this classic. 21 juni 1988...... :white:


Note he says "funnier" and not "more fun". I think he's taking this piss and will miss the laughs the Germans get dismantling your team like so much Bratwurst and then burping up a giggling victory cheer.
 
Eyad89
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:47 pm

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:59 pm

mke717spotter wrote:
The US is out and I am at a loss. I can't remember the last time I felt this bad. All they needed to do was tie against Trinidad & Tobago, the last place team in the group, and they completely blew it. What I can't fathom is that the team was completely lifeless for first 45 minutes and didn't even look interested in playing. Are you telling me they somehow forgot that their World Cup spot was on the line? Unbelievable. All that talk about trying to take the next step on the world stage and then this happens.


The United States is a big county with a huge pool of talent. In my eye the reason why its football/soccer team fails to be among the top tier is simply because this sport is just not a priority for the vast majority of its people. Most of those with great athletic skills simply choose to pursue other sports. Until the day comes when football is among the top three sports in the states, I can't see the American team reach the level of Brazil, Germany and others.

Having said that, losing to Trinidad & Tobago the way they did is just difficult to justify. They should have made it to Russia.

On another note, I am just glad Argentina qualified just because it would be unfair to not have Messi play next summer. This guy really deserves a world cup. I truly believe he's the greatest of all time, and winning the world cup would just confirm that.
Last edited by Eyad89 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 
wingman
Posts: 3239
Joined: Thu May 27, 1999 4:25 am

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:02 pm

GrahamHill wrote:
Legitimate rant by Taylor Twellman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXcifkgFkho


As much as I dislike Alexi Lalas, his own rant a few weeks back was spot on. These players, Pulisic and Bradley excused, just don't give a shit. And I did like the one comment another reporter made about soccer academies and the seed money needed to attract and finance lower income kids in this country. Unlike the major soccer powers this kind of system just doesn't exist here. So you're left hunting in a pool of Middle Income+ pretty boys going to fine schools and waltzing into practice late in mommy's G500. It takes desire and yearning and need and total family commitment (and a legitimate financial pathway) to produce world class talent. Shit, just look at Cristiano and Messi.

Our whole system is broken. It might be good enough to get junior a full ride to Stanford or UNC, but this is big boy shit. Very disappointing. Anyway, if you haven't seen Lalas tear a new one into these guys a while back here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpYuzrBIy9o
 
tommy1808
Posts: 6615
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:10 am

Dutchy wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
TheSonntag wrote:
As a German, I feel very sorry for the Dutch. I am serious, no Schadenfreude there. It is much funnier to have the rivalry


I agree, NL-DE is a classic.


Thank you, you are too kind. Didn't know Germans where into this classic. 21 juni 1988...... :white:


ah.. those days. I was in summer camp on Texel with my Scout group and watched the game on a 70cm Black and White TV, we had borrowed from a near by farmer, with the ~200 kids and leaders sitting on beer garden benches & tables in a stadium like fashion around it. As several other leader i was actually rooting for the Dutch to get the whole show a bit more emotional and we couldn´t go anywhere for the rest of camp w/o dutch people teasing us with a "twee een".

It was also the first time i had Vla ....

best regards
Thomas
Times are changing: 70 years ago the USA went to war to defeat the Nazis, now they elect them to run their country.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 9327
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:11 am

France is qualified and first of its group, apparently. Usually we barely make it and then have a great run, so getting in "easily" (apparently the performance wasn't very impressive) might not be the greatest thing, we'll see.

I wonder how many billions the winning team will be worth ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 9327
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:14 am

tommy1808 : I was also at a scout camp in a field with a borrowed TV for the 1998 final. I don't care much about football so I can't say it was that important to me, and I didn't learn about the frenzy in Paris etc. until much later. I remember much more the high altitude hike we did, including some pretty hairy situations.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
tommy1808
Posts: 6615
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:23 am

Aesma wrote:
tommy1808 : I was also at a scout camp in a field with a borrowed TV for the 1998 final. .


That was actually one of the best soccer games i ever saw.

best regards
Thomas
Times are changing: 70 years ago the USA went to war to defeat the Nazis, now they elect them to run their country.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 3747
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:16 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

I agree, NL-DE is a classic.


Thank you, you are too kind. Didn't know Germans where into this classic. 21 juni 1988...... :white:


ah.. those days. I was in summer camp on Texel with my Scout group and watched the game on a 70cm Black and White TV, we had borrowed from a near by farmer, with the ~200 kids and leaders sitting on beer garden benches & tables in a stadium like fashion around it. As several other leader i was actually rooting for the Dutch to get the whole show a bit more emotional and we couldn´t go anywhere for the rest of camp w/o dutch people teasing us with a "twee een".

It was also the first time i had Vla ....

best regards
Thomas


Haha, I can imagine that :D

Our attitude towards our friendly neighbor has changed quite a bit, I think. Now it is more of a friendly rivalry, instead of hostility. I was a summer camp leader for a group of underprivileged kids in 2010, I drove 200km to Amsterdam, just to pick up a beamer to watch the game. The leaders watch the Dutch lose the final (3rd time), the kids didn't really care, maybe 5 out of 40 watched :hyper:

Still it is quite amazing that the Dutch truly come together for football matches of the national team. All bars are full, dress code orange and it has a positive effect on the economy as well.

Ah well, we weren't there in 1986, Mexico, and in 1988........... ( I can still dream, can't I :white: )

As said, I will be a Red Devil next year.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
ltbewr
Posts: 12960
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:21 am

The USA's failure to make the Men's WC is very disappointing. Still the USA has an excellent chance for it's Women's team to go to the WWC in the next cycle. At least the USA avoids the diplomatic and political issues with our current President and Russia. :duck:
No doubt Team USA needs a through revamp as to players, coaches and administration. We also need to develop more specialized academies and private schools for young good players, as done in Europe. Soccer has a long history in the USA, starting with immigrants in the later 1800's. Over the last 40 or so years, it has grown in interest and participation due to newer immigrants and growing physical health and other issues as to American football.
That some major soccer powers like The Netherlands are out, Argentina barely made it in and small countries like Iceland are in makes for billions of hours of discussion by fans and a distraction from the daily grind of life.
 
User avatar
777Jet
Posts: 6641
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:29 am

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:45 pm

mke717spotter wrote:
The US is out and I am at a loss.


How hard do you think Mexico tried in that match against Honduras? Maybe the performance was a message to Trump ;)

I would have loved to see the USA finish in 4th and get to play my Socceroos, who are still alive in qualification thanks to the head (x2) of the almost 38 year old Tim Cahill. Now we have to play Honduras twice but whatever happens, the Socceroos don't deserve to qualify for this one...
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90,717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9,306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388
 
User avatar
mke717spotter
Topic Author
Posts: 2015
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:32 am

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:50 pm

Eyad89 wrote:
The United States is a big county with a huge pool of talent. In my eye the reason why its football/soccer team fails to be among the top tier is simply because this sport is just not a priority for the vast majority of its people. Most of those with great athletic skills simply choose to pursue other sports. Until the day comes when football is among the top three sports in the states, I can't see the American team reach the level of Brazil, Germany and others.

I think it can certainly grow more, but I don't think it will ever rival the NFL, MLB, NBA, etc. For that reason I think maybe there just isn't enough pressure on these players. If some of these other countries like Mexico or France failed to qualify then their players would be crucified and unable to show themselves in public. There's been some outrage here over what has happened but there's still a lot of people who don't know or don't care.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.
 
User avatar
mke717spotter
Topic Author
Posts: 2015
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:32 am

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:59 am

Another stunning result today: Italy loses 1-0 on aggregate against Sweden and misses out on the World Cup for the first time since 1958.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.
 
Eyad89
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:47 pm

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:56 am

mke717spotter wrote:
Another stunning result today: Italy loses 1-0 on aggregate against Sweden and misses out on the World Cup for the first time since 1958.



That is a big loss for the world cup. Sure, Italy is not even half good of a team as it was in 2006, but it would add to the competition if a country that had won the tournament four times was part of it.

Gotta respect Sweden though, They came out as second in a group that had Spain and Netherlands only to take Italy out afterwards. That's well deserved.
 
ltbewr
Posts: 12960
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:36 am

A co-worker who is into international soccer/football says that part of the problem for teams like Italy is that their home players cannot get into the pros as many of the top pro teams are going after players from other countries to play for them more out of their greed and competitive need. He also notes for the USA, there is more pressure to go to college, especially if can get an athletic scholarship to pay for it, at a critical time to be able to get into the pros, so few are involved in junior pro-prep soccer. Add in too that some of the best players are on pro leagues so have divided loyalties, more concerned with their obligations to their pro teams and the big bucks they make that they cannot or will not jeopardize that with being on a national team on a full schedule with them to develop a good team.
Still with Italy not making it while some 3rd world countries, it says a lot that the rest of the world is catching up to international standards and have players who still have some loyalties to their countries over money.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 9327
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:25 am

My family is mostly Italian so there is lots of drama going on in our whatsapp mass discussion.

ltbewr almost all the players in the World Cup are employed by pro teams, most of them European teams, so in a way it's no surprise that the level of some countries is increasing, however at this stage you can't make any comparison as the qualifiers are by continent. Furthermore it's a pool thing, not a championship where every team plays every other team.

All the players are paid by their club, usually playing in the national team brings them peanuts in terms of money, however being in the national team can still help the players in several ways, including their image, which these days can mean a lot of money.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
NIKV69
Posts: 11243
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:59 pm

Eyad89 wrote:
mke717spotter wrote:
Another stunning result today: Italy loses 1-0 on aggregate against Sweden and misses out on the World Cup for the first time since 1958.



That is a big loss for the world cup. Sure, Italy is not even half good of a team as it was in 2006, but it would add to the competition if a country that had won the tournament four times was part of it.

Gotta respect Sweden though, They came out as second in a group that had Spain and Netherlands only to take Italy out afterwards. That's well deserved.


Yep Italy in many ways are like the LA Lakers. No stars and very young. With the retirement of Gigi they have an uphill climb.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!
 
User avatar
787Driver
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:14 am

Let's just say it as it is. Ireland got humiliated by Denmark last night.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 3747
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:13 am

787Driver wrote:
Let's just say it as it is. Ireland got humiliated by Denmark last night.


Yup, 1-5 and there gone. Perhaps we could do a mini EC, Ireland, Italy, The Netherlands........ :lol:
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
JJJ
Posts: 2549
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 5:12 pm

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:27 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Eyad89 wrote:
mke717spotter wrote:
Another stunning result today: Italy loses 1-0 on aggregate against Sweden and misses out on the World Cup for the first time since 1958.



That is a big loss for the world cup. Sure, Italy is not even half good of a team as it was in 2006, but it would add to the competition if a country that had won the tournament four times was part of it.

Gotta respect Sweden though, They came out as second in a group that had Spain and Netherlands only to take Italy out afterwards. That's well deserved.


Yep Italy in many ways are like the LA Lakers. No stars and very young. With the retirement of Gigi they have an uphill climb.


They're not especially young. Even accounting for Buffon, Chiellini and Barzagli retiring Bonucci, Candreva, Insigne, Éder, Immobile, etc are veteran players. Yes Donnarumma is very young, but everyone else has been playing pro football at the highest level of competition for long enough.

Italy had a history of doing great with just above average players with the odd world class player, based on some very strong defensive work and determination but every once in a while these things happen. They'll bounce back.
 
Alias1024
Posts: 2330
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:13 am

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:47 pm

Dutchy wrote:
787Driver wrote:
Let's just say it as it is. Ireland got humiliated by Denmark last night.


Yup, 1-5 and there gone. Perhaps we could do a mini EC, Ireland, Italy, The Netherlands........ :lol:


If you need a fourth for your tournament I know a certain former British colony that has nothing going on next summer.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.
 
olle
Posts: 761
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:38 am

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:56 pm

Chile can join as well ;-)

As a swede I must congratulate the Swedish team. Noone believed this special after Zlatan left the team.
 
User avatar
Dahlgardo
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:46 am

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:27 pm

olle wrote:
As a swede I must congratulate the Swedish team. Noone believed this special after Zlatan left the team.


Well, a great player with a big ego doesn't always make well playing collective better.
Zlatan was no great team player.

Well done Denmark.
Christian Eriksen was in a class of his own.

I don't think the world cup will be less interesting without the Irish team. They really lacked offensive quality.
But the Irish supporters will certainly be missed.
leave your nines at home and bring your skills to the battle
 
User avatar
mke717spotter
Topic Author
Posts: 2015
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:32 am

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:07 am

Dutchy wrote:
Perhaps we could do a mini EC, Ireland, Italy, The Netherlands........ :lol:

Apparently the US is actually contemplating holding such a tournament. I have a hard time seeing proud countries like Italy and Netherlands actually getting geared up for something like this, maybe just a series of friendlies would be better.

http://www.espnfc.us/united-states/stor ... ands-Italy
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.
 
Pampot70
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:01 am

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:21 am

mke717spotter wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Perhaps we could do a mini EC, Ireland, Italy, The Netherlands........ :lol:

Apparently the US is actually contemplating holding such a tournament. I have a hard time seeing proud countries like Italy and Netherlands actually getting geared up for something like this, maybe just a series of friendlies would be better.

http://www.espnfc.us/united-states/stor ... ands-Italy



The tifosi in Italy are delivering mixed feelings for this mini tournament of the excluded teams. I think it should happen as a series of friendlies but absolutely out of the WC month. Let's say during the breaks for the international friendlies during spring 2018.

As per the azzurri debacle, :banghead: in Italy everybody agrees that that miserable manager, Gian Piero Ventura, could not instill a drop of optimism nor playing schemes into the team. Instead he changed players and setup in the pitch in every single match. Then after the draw in Milan he abandoned Buffon at the interviews, declared to be one of the best ever and refused to resign. He was officially evicted by the boss of the football federation, who himself is refusing to go.
Overall, the players Italy could provide to the national team were not that bad. Surely not worse than those who beat Spain, Belgium and Sweden and drew vs Germany at Euro16. But at the time there was a competent manager (Conte) on the bench. Now the Federation is investigating some names, such as Ancelotti, Mancini or Conte again. While they declared they might take the role, all require a whole revamp of the governance. Not going to happen...

Stormy waters for the azzurri.
 
olle
Posts: 761
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:38 am

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:08 pm

Dahlgardo wrote:
olle wrote:
As a swede I must congratulate the Swedish team. Noone believed this special after Zlatan left the team.


Well, a great player with a big ego doesn't always make well playing collective better.
Zlatan was no great team player.

Well done Denmark.
Christian Eriksen was in a class of his own.

I don't think the world cup will be less interesting without the Irish team. They really lacked offensive quality.
But the Irish supporters will certainly be missed.


Special considering that both Holland and Italy were victims of Sweden. I still do not believe it!
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 3747
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification

Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:01 pm

olle wrote:
Dahlgardo wrote:
olle wrote:
As a swede I must congratulate the Swedish team. Noone believed this special after Zlatan left the team.


Well, a great player with a big ego doesn't always make well playing collective better.
Zlatan was no great team player.

Well done Denmark.
Christian Eriksen was in a class of his own.

I don't think the world cup will be less interesting without the Irish team. They really lacked offensive quality.
But the Irish supporters will certainly be missed.


Special considering that both Holland and Italy were victims of Sweden. I still do not believe it!


Nope, both victim of their own stupidity and the way their home competition is organized. Sweden was just their executioner, like helping a dying dog in the end.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tommy1808 and 45 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos