bmacleod
Topic Author

New Star Trek: Discovery

Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:46 pm

First impression of new series Star Trek Discovery - well it's different.

First - the Klingons look entirely different - more like the Uruk-Hai in Lord of the Rings.

And their ships look nothing like in the movies but maybe that was the idea.

Good to finally see a woman as captain - Janeway in Voyager was OK but not really great.

Thoughts - better than previous Trek series - or not?
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

Kiwirob

Re: New Star Trek: Discovery

Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:09 pm

Have to see a few more before I form a solid opinion.

vrbarreto

Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:15 pm

Spoiler

She ends up as captain sushi. I quite liked it but still early days. Also getting used to girls name of Michael.

fortytwoeyes

Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:59 pm

Very unhappy, I can't get over the visuals - I know it can't look like TOS, but then why do they have to set it at that particular point in time? Go into the future, post TNG, and have some new aliens instead of changing the Klingons into something unrecognizable.

At this point The Orville is the better Trek show.

petertenthije

Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:03 pm

It’s too early to decide. Going on the pilot only, all I can say it’s a lot better then TNG’s Encounter at Farpoint.

I liked the Klingons a lot, though I suspect Trekkies will not like the redesign... tough luck for them.

I did not care for the telepathic link between Michael (since when is that a girlname???) and Sarek. Hopefully this is not used to death like the communication stones in Stargate Universe were.

The captain was probably the most wooden acting since Michael o’Hare in Babylon 5 (cmdr Jeffrey Sinclair).
Attamottamotta!

tommy1808

Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:51 pm

bmacleod wrote:
First impression of new series Star Trek Discovery - well it's different.

It starts pretty cool. In terms of pilot i have a hard time decided if it was the best or not. Next Generation sucked, Enterprise sucked, Voyager sucked. All of those shows turned out to be at least very entertaining.

First - the Klingons look entirely different - more like the Uruk-Hai in Lord of the Rings.

And suddenly they love gold, i wonder who they where thinking about when they made evil love gold....

Constitution class isn´t around yet, i don´tthink we have seen ships of that generation before.

petertenthije wrote:
I did not care for the telepathic link between Michael (since when is that a girlname???) and Sarek..

Was it a telepathic link, or was it a part of his consciousness left behind from a mind melt?

Anyhow, this is the future, and names can change. Just like Tony or Elliot, they may just become unisex names.

fortytwoeyes wrote:
Very unhappy, I can't get over the visuals - I know it can't look like TOS, but then why do they have to set it at that particular point in time? Go into the future, post TNG, and have some new aliens instead of changing the Klingons into something unrecognizable..

They plan to set each season in a different time frame. While the visual design is a bit over the top, i like all those tiny little references to the old show and older movies (the rocket backpack scene from the first Star Trek Movie, the more informal way people talk on the bridge just like in TOS.....

At least it seems like they thought about the changes they´ve made. Only problem i see, spoiler, is that i don´t really think life imprisonment would still be in the books, about 30 countries have done away with that, so a society that has already bestowed full rights on, ok sentient, farm animals would probably have a fairly advanced system.

best regards
Thomas
Times are changing: 70 years ago the USA went to war to defeat the Nazis, now they elect them to run their country.

bmacleod
Topic Author

Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:26 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
bmacleod wrote:

Constitution class isn´t around yet, I don´t think we have seen ships of that generation before.

Sorry not to be more specific but I was referring to Klingon ships.
https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/e20144f92ccc9c32fd2eb56fedc9888a04ef6c47bd196094395207c08b5e32f7.jpg

tommy1808

Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:44 pm

Ah.. ok. Well, I guess someone on the team really likes Warhammer.
Times are changing: 70 years ago the USA went to war to defeat the Nazis, now they elect them to run their country.

william

Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:30 pm

Why does it have a Mature Audience ranking? Is the captain getting freaky with aliens like old Captain Kirk?

Zkpilot

Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:09 am

Not a huge fan of the Klingon redesign. Bit too Orc like as mentioned.
Also agree that Capt and Michael (why Michael rather than Michelle by the way?) acting are quite wooden/forced and irritating. Mulgrew was a much better actress.
57 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

bmacleod
Topic Author

Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:45 pm

As far as pilots go I find the pilot episode for Voyager - The Caretaker to be the best.

Agree pilot for ST: The Next Generation - Encounter at Farpoint seemed "wooden"

TOS - Man Trap seemed OK but I found "Where no man has gone before" much better....

flyingturtle

Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:26 pm

Funnily, some keen watchers have found Windows program code in one episode. Specifically, it was the reverse-engineered source code of the Stuxnet worm...

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2017/10/3 ... mmand-line

David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

Siren

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:18 pm

Discovery is a bleeping tragedy, considering what they had the opportunity and potential to do... gods.

First off, the Enterprise is already around at this point in time. By the time Kirk was in command, the Enterprise had been in service for 15 years, first under Captain Robert April, then Captain Christopher Pike. So, if this is 10 years prior to the events of TOS, there should be plenty of Constitution Class ships running around. But nevermind me, I'm just a pissed off fan upset at the complete lack of continuity.

And I also hate the redefinition of the Klingons. C'mon. Couldn't they have just invented a new species instead of destroying a fan favorite? And... it is so tiresome to watch those Klingon scenes, with endless subtitles. Now I'll watch a 3 hour long French New Wave epic - just illustrating the point that I don't mind subtitles, or torturing myself for a few hours.. But the point of Star Trek isn't to get a lesson in Klingon, it's to watch thought provoking science fiction. I don't want to watch Starfleet officers stabbing each other in the back.

I'm supposedly the epitome of social justice warrior demographic these guys are hoping to rope in with this show. Ugh. I'll stick to The Orville, and reruns of DS9 and Battlestar Galactica (the new one... which is 10 years old by now... god I'm getting old...)....
Siren: 32 year old single white female based @ KLAX. Aviation nerd, political wonk, disability rights activist, German car enthusiast, Californian Independence leader & evangelist

Channex757

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:48 am

Been watching this over the weekend. I ended up giving up and going back to The Expanse on Netflix.

I really can't get a lock on Discovery. The visuals suggest it's Kelvin timeline but allegedly it's supposed to be in the Prime one. So where do these Klingons come from? More than a few JJ Abrams lens flares too. It also seems just a bit too dark to me; certainly not in the general vein of Roddenberry's vision of Star Trek.

I can now understand the stories concerning the launch of the series. Apparently there were comings and goings on the production staff, and showrunners arriving and departing. The order came down from upon high (head of CBS) that stuff like canon was to be dispensed with and a show made as if it was brand new with little in the way of ties to existing Trek.

That alone killed it for me. I wouldn't have Netflix turned on just for Discovery. It really isn't that good (so far).

tommy1808

Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:31 pm

Siren wrote:
Battlestar Galactica (the new one... which is 10 years old by now... god I'm getting old...)....

Well, I hate to break it to you, but the way Star Trek Discovery turns out to be if your fault. And mine, and everybody else's that watched and loved BSG:2005.

Star Trek Discovery copies exactly BSG2005s playbook.

Redefine shis and their looks? Check
Change drive to jumpdrive? Check
More action? Check
Darker tone? Check
Less happy family and friends to more band of brothers like relations? Check
Rougher tone? Frag and fu*king Check
Completely reinvent beloved enemy? Check

This is basically is Star Trek reimagined series. And to be honest, the BSG mini series didn't wow me nearly as much as the later full run. So, I guess there is a chance that Discovery may grow into something likable still, and hopefully will gain some philosophical debth too.

And I have the feeling that people on both times had liked Space: Above and Beyond alot...

Best regards
Thomas