Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:05 am

The New York Times wrote:
Roy Moore, a former State Supreme Court chief justice, defeated Senator Luther Strange on Tuesday in the Republican runoff to fill the United States Senate seat vacated by Jeff Sessions, now the attorney general. Mr. Moore will face the Democratic nominee, Doug Jones, a former United States attorney, in the general election on Dec. 12.

Source

So what now? Given AL's solid red leanings, it's likely that Moore is the newest US Senator come December. However, is it possible that some Alabamians may be put off by Moore enough to not show up to the polls or defect and vote for the Democrat candidate (who will have to face voters again in 2018)?

And what does this mean for Trump, who suffered a big blow by losing his first race (he supported Strange so even though he retains a red senator, it's not HIS red senator)?

Needless to say, McConnell's days as leader of the GOP caucus in the Senate could be numbered: two defeats in one day (ACA and now Moore), not counting the many attempts in the year for ACA repeal. With Bob Corker from TN announcing his retirement, the floodgates are open for more Moore-like candidates to primary out incumbent establishment members.

Does this mean the Senate could turn into the House (where a segment of the GOP caucus becomes unruly)?

WarRI1

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:09 am

As was said about Hillary, we held our nose and voted for her because there was no other choice. I think I said that by the way. Now we have the same here, vote for a radical extremist or vote for Trumps man. The people have spoken.

Francoflier

Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:23 am

The radicalisation of flyover USA is progressing nicely, I see. Move over, Saudi Arabia, Alabama wants to teach you a thing or two.

Just when I thought Trump's popularity was done shattering my faith in humanity...

:sigh:

LittleFokker

Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:24 am

How dumb are Alabama voters that a man who was twice kicked off the State Supreme Court for flagrant Constitutional violations continue to vote this man into public office? This guy should be in prison for the rest of his life and yet stupid Alabama voters keep rewarding him with employment. (Yes, I know this is a primary, but it might as well have been the actual election, given their penchant for voting for Republican everything).

I'll advocate for taking away Moore's voters' right to vote until they can pass a literacy test.

Francoflier

Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:30 am

LittleFokker wrote:
I'll advocate for taking away Moore's voters' right to vote until they can pass a literacy test.

You might be facetious, but the far right's war on literacy is quite an instrumental part of their strategy... and it seems to be working.

It is a tactic that has been used by countless 'successful' dictators and autocrats.

Ken777

Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:30 am

The vote today can in no way bring comfort to reasonable, moderate individuals. Maybe Alabama is unable to elect an outstanding man or woman to serve them at the Federal level, but there is no excuse for the illiterate holy roller they have voted in

Hopefully the voters in this country will be so sick of Deadbeat Donald by November '18 that the right wing extremists will be voted out in the House and all running in the Senate.

jetero

Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:48 am

What's next is Trump's spin.

MaverickM11

Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:54 am

The GOP's mad cow disease is accelerating with Moore. Not particularly surprising for AL, but I don't think this helps Trump or the GOP at a national level since Moore is a) insane b) dumb as dirt and c) a lunatic christian, even by Trumpian standards. He's going to be a grenade in the Senate and things like tax reform will go from a slim chance of passing to zero.

DocLightning

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:08 am

LittleFokker wrote:
How dumb are Alabama voters that a man who was twice kicked off the State Supreme Court for flagrant Constitutional violations continue to vote this man into public office?

Try "treacherous," rather than "dumb." These voters know exactly what they are doing. They want the Constitution gone, save the parts that favor them.

apodino

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:11 am

If you thought Ted Cruz is out there, you haven't seen anything yet. Roy Moore is so far out there he makes Cruz look like Jeremy Corbyn. I don't mind social conservatives but this guy is a theocrat who believes that the Alabama State Constitution establishes Christianity as the state religion and that all state institutions must adhere to Christianity. This is a dangerous man.

Tugger

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:15 am

If he wins the general election, and that appears fairly guaranteed, he will really jus cause even more problems for congressional Republicans. You think it is fractious and divided and unable to come to effective compromises for the whole to function, just wait until an absolutist like him arrives.

Tugg

LittleFokker

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:24 am

I'm thoroughly convinced that someone could rip off a charity for $5 million, be on the 3rd wife, and be a known child molester, but as long as he runs as a Republican in Alabama, he'll win the election. They've been programmed to hate liberals that much. Moore makes Louie freaking Gohmert look normal and I thought that was impossible.

Super80Fan

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:29 am

Looks like the Dixiecrats are trying for a reboot. The DemoKKKrats just don't realize it's 2017 and we should be well beyond their bigotry and hatred of those they disagree with. Despicable.

Tugger

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:35 am

Super80Fan wrote:
Looks like the Dixiecrats are trying for a reboot. The DemoKKKrats just don't realize it's 2017 and we should be well beyond their bigotry and hatred of those they disagree with. Despicable.

But now it is a "Republicrats" version with Republican's voting in Moore. It is a bit despicable, I am just surprised to here you voicing such toward him too.

Tugg

jetero

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:43 am

Tugger wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

But now it is a "Republicrats" version with Republican's voting in Moore. It is a bit despicable, I am just surprised to here you voicing such toward him too.

Tugg

I'd like to create a Hall of Fame thread. S8F and his "DemoKKKrats" would get top billing. But it really is becoming a tight competition for the Village Idiot.
Last edited by jetero on Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

BobPatterson

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:43 am

LittleFokker wrote:
I'm thoroughly convinced that someone could rip off a charity for $5 million, be on the 3rd wife, and be a known child molester, but as long as he runs as a Republican in Alabama, he'll win the election. They've been programmed to hate liberals that much. Moore makes Louie freaking Gohmert look normal and I thought that was impossible.

Until you mentioned running in Alabama I thought you were talking about Mr. Trump.

jetero

Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:40 am

Wow Bozo has already deleted his Big Luther tweets.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... imary-loss

But, as cataloged by the site Factba.se, tweets with the following thoughts no longer do.

“Big election tomorrow in the Great State of Alabama. Vote for Senator Luther Strange, tough on crime & border – will never let you down!”

“Luther Strange has been shooting up in the Alabama polls since my endorsement. Finish the job – vote today for ‘Big Luther.'”

“ALABAMA, get out and vote for Luther Strange – he has proven to me that he will never let you down! #MAGA”

All gone.

#Winning

DIRECTFLT

Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:20 am

Roy Moore said (and I'm paraphrasing) "If you think just because the President supported the other guy in this race, that I will not now support his Administration, you are wrong! As long as it's Constitutional, and lines up with the Bible, I'm all for it !!"

The President has already said he will come out and support Moore for the Dec. Election.

The R voters of Alabama voted Trumpism over Trump, McConnell, and the $30 Million Strange campaign ads...

Not only Liberal tears over this, but Establishment tears too, as this is a Bellwether for other upcoming R Primaries.

Roy Moore's Victory Speech
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUbZeZ3hrXo

#WINNING

Francoflier

Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:14 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
The R voters of Alabama voted Trumpism over Trump, McConnell, and the $30 Million Strange campaign ads...

Well at least you have one thing right.

Trump has really only been riding a movement that appears to be bigger than him. It is the movement of the repressed anger, hatred, racism and nihilism that has unfortunately always existed but has never had a chance to become prominent since the loss of the civil war.

The genie is now out of the bottle, and the bigots, bible bashers, the 2nd amendment freaks and other among the low-education white trash are now free to spew their bile and sound the horns every time the nut jobs they idolize push inflammatory, divise and hate-mongering statements or actions.

Forget about ideals of peace, dialogue, progressive thinking, scientific reasoning and general humane behavior, and welcome to the age of illiteracy, radical theological values and blind adoration for repressive authoritarian figures who directly profit from this general gullibility.

The weak of mind really are easy to manipulate.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:10 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Not only Liberal tears over this, but Establishment tears too,

Don't see why there are "liberal tears" over this. This was a GOP primary runoff. And the Democrats are not even bothering to invest in the race anyway. They have bigger fish to fry. Besides, you can't fix stupid. Moore is the perfect embodiment of what Alabama is: a theological-driven state. Not that different from Iran in that aspect, but they would never admit it.

Ask an Alabamian to explain why Alabama is different from Iran and they'll probably say that there's freedom of religion in AL, but try to open a mosque down there and see how fast it moves to impede or shut it down.

DIRECTFLT wrote:
as this is a Bellwether for other upcoming R Primaries.

Yes...and no. There's a reason AL has a special place in GOP politics. It COULD lead the way for more anti-establishment candidates to primary out GOP incumbents. In states like AL, MS, TX (borderline case), NE, and WY, that will be all the rage. In states like MO, MT, ND, and IN, that could end up giving the Democrats an advantage. Todd Aitkins 2.0?

jetero

Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:49 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
Not only Liberal tears over this, but Establishment tears too,

Don't see why there are "liberal tears" over this.

Part of their ideology and myth. They're so under attack, remember, we must be crying in our Cheerios, so they have to go one above and rub it all in. Very Christian! Thanks for witnessing, DF!!!!

330west

Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:09 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Roy Moore said (and I'm paraphrasing) "If you think just because the President supported the other guy in this race, that I will not now support his Administration, you are wrong! As long as it's Constitutional, and lines up with the Bible, I'm all for it !!"

Roy Moore has said, among other things, that homosexual conduct should be illegal. Do you agree with this sentiment and if so, how would society as a whole be improved with such legislation?

wingman

Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:27 pm

Trump and Fox have now fully let the genie of White supremacy and racism out of the bottle. As long as that crazy shit stays 2500 miles from the West Coast I'll just laugh my ass off as the collective stupidity and backwardness of that state. Trump now deleting tweets supporting Strange, the guy reaches new heights of assholiness on a daily basis.

Tugger

Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:40 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
tears over this,
[...]
#WINNING

No tears over it, just annoyance. The thing Moore and his supporters do no understand is that the USA daily does not "line up with the bible", just as it does not line up with the koran or talmud. It never will because the USA is not defined by the bible nor does it follow it. So you have a player coming into the game stating the goal posts are not in the endzone but rather on the sideline, or that it should be 4 strikes and you are out, not three. So the player will do little to help the team and in fact will harm the team.

I have always been against the Republican penchant for pandering to religious folks and allowing a religious belief to set law. The ten commandments are near meaningless in US law and in fact the number "law" of the commandments is specifically against the USA as it is established. How do you reconcile that?

So the #winning thing you throw out is you saying "it is four strikes not three strikes", you are not playing to win the same game so that team will only lose. It is frustrating when there are important things that truly need to be addressed.

Tugg

OA412

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:31 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Don't see why there are "liberal tears" over this. This was a GOP primary runoff. And the Democrats are not even bothering to invest in the race anyway.

Yeah I don't see it. A failed state continues to take steps and make choices that will ensure its continued failure. Bottom rung in education, healthcare, human development; the list goes on. Moore just ensures they'll remain at the bottom as the brain drain continues. The only tears I'm shedding over this relate to my tax dollars having to prop up these failed Southern theocracies just because I live in a successful state.

910A

Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:08 pm

It's also dumb that the new governor called for a special election. Talking about wasting tax $$, when the winner has to immediately gear up to run again next year.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:23 pm

910A wrote:
It's also dumb that the new governor called for a special election. Talking about wasting tax $$, when the winner has to immediately gear up to run again next year.

Actually, Session's seat is not up for grabs until 2020 (class 2). Had the governor not called for the special election, Strange would have served until (at least) January 2019. Better to invest in the race now instead of spending money every other year until 2022 (when Shelby's seat is up for election).

apodino

Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:04 pm

To expand on what I said earlier, I am glad I don't live in Alabama because I would have a really awful choice come election time. I hate the establishment and want to drain the swamp like everyone else does. That being said, I do not want a thelogical nutcase like Moore to be the anti establishment candidate and I am regretful Mo Brooks didn't do better. I honestly would be tempted to vote Blue in this election if I lived in Alabama just to send a message to the GOP, even though I don't agree with much of what the Democratic party stands for.

Just be grateful this is a senate election and not a supreme court nomination. Can you imagine Roy Moore on the US Supreme Court? I sure as hell cannot.

This election is one that makes me question the 17th amendment to the constitution. I don't object to people getting to choose their senators, but the problem is instead of senators being picked by legislators to represent the state in a more thoughtful manner, nowadays you get political parties nominating lunatics on both sides and because of the nominating process and the way bases work the only people on ballots anymore are said lunatics who often do get elected. We see this likely with Moore this year, we have seen it in the past with Al Franken, Thom Tillis, etc and in many cases Lunatic Nominations have cost the party what should be good seats. (Think Todd Akin, Richard Mourduck, Christine O'Donnell, Sharon Angle, Charlie Crist, and Martha Coakley)

scbriml

Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:48 pm

It seems Trump's ego is so fragile that he's deleted the Twitter posts where he backed a loser. Seriously? :rotfl:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41417279
US President Donald Trump has deleted several tweets endorsing a candidate he backed in an Alabama election after he crashed to defeat on Tuesday.

"Luther Strange has been shooting up in the Alabama polls since my endorsement," Mr Trump wrote in one now-removed post.

He campaigned for Mr Strange, but could not save him from defeat by ultraconservative firebrand Roy Moore. The underdog's victory has sent shockwaves through Washington.

In one now-deleted Tweet, the president said Mr Strange "will never let you down!" according to news website ProPublica, which documents Mr Trump's posts. In another, the president said "vote today for 'Big Luther'".

#somuchwinning

socalgeo

Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:29 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

Ask an Alabamian to explain why Alabama is different from Iran and they'll probably say that there's freedom of religion in AL, but try to open a mosque down there and see how fast it moves to impede or shut it down.

https://m.facebook.com/permalink.php?st ... 6598351825

Over 60 mosques in Alabama according to this site.

jetero

Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:29 am

socalgeo wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

https://m.facebook.com/permalink.php?st ... 6598351825

Over 60 mosques in Alabama according to this site.

Definitely thanks to Roy Moore.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.a ... se_rel.amp

It's Ok, I'm sure he's a uniter, not a divider, just like Bozo.

tommy1808

Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:38 am

jetero wrote:
Definitely thanks to Roy Moore.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.a ... se_rel.amp

It's Ok, I'm sure he's a uniter, not a divider, just like Bozo.

Well, he is right in his headline assessment. Same is true for all religions though....

best regards
Thomas

Mir

Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:12 pm

If the GOP were smart, they'd run far away from Moore and help get his opponent elected, just like they did when David Duke was running for a Senate seat, even at temporary cost to them. If they start helping him, they're going to be associated with his brand of madness and bigotry for a long time.

Tugger

Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:35 pm

Mir wrote:
If the GOP were smart, they'd run far away from Moore and help get his opponent elected, just like they did when David Duke was running for a Senate seat, even at temporary cost to them. If they start helping him, they're going to be associated with his brand of madness and bigotry for a long time.

The key thing is that he does not and won't (can't, I suppose) support the United States Constitution. He has stated that.

Tugg

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:39 pm

Tugger wrote:
The key thing is that he does not and won't (can't, I suppose) support the United States Constitution. He has stated that.

Tugg

We'll see what happens if he gets elected. The bottom line is that the fact that you're elected doesn't mean you can serve immediately. You're sworn in; if you can't agree to uphold the Constitution, then that seat remains vacant until someone agrees to accept the duty.

But of course, our conservative friends always make exceptions: the Constitution is perfect and must be preserved, except if it's convenient to say it's flawed and can be ignored.

MaverickM11

Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:23 pm

Mir wrote:

That ship has sailed. The GOP bovine spongiform encephalopathy is complete: madness and bigotry are the two pillars for which it stands now.

WarRI1

Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:36 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
Mir wrote:

That ship has sailed. The GOP bovine spongiform encephalopathy is complete: madness and bigotry are the two pillars for which it stands now.

I agree. Let us face it, he is a wacko who will fit in nicely with the rest of the far right. Religion above all. A sure vote for anything Republican, including Health Care. Death before any Liberal cause for this man. They are all waiting for the Death of John McCain before trying again to (reform) really destroy Obamacare.

LAX772LR

Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:17 am

WarRI1 wrote:
They are all waiting for the Death of John McCain before trying again to (reform) really destroy Obamacare.

Not sure why. If you look, Graham-Cassidy had 6 no votes before McConnell put it to rest, not just the three that the media harped over.

And they can't wait too long, as there's a fairly decent chance that the Dems take back the Senate in 13mo or so.

2Holer4Longhaul

Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:59 pm

There's only one way to react to this. The Democrats need to send their own version of Roy Moore to the senate.
By which of course I mean:
The entire PETA leadership
Rachel Dolezal
The UC Berkeley student body
And, lastly, the ghost of Barack Hussein Obama, Sr. (the actual Kenyan-born muslim).

BobPatterson

Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:45 pm

2Holer4Longhaul wrote:
There's only one way to react to this. The Democrats need to send their own version of Roy Moore to the senate.
Rachel Dolezal
And, lastly, the ghost of Barack Hussein Obama, Sr. (the actual Kenyan-born muslim).

No, even the lunatic fringe can come up with more nonsense than you can.

I have difficulty even imagining a Democratic version of Roy Moore.

Can you propose names of a few people to start building a list?

2Holer4Longhaul

Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:07 am

BobPatterson wrote:
2Holer4Longhaul wrote:
Rachel Dolezal

Can't think of any names. The Democrats so far have had the sense to not nominate anyone crazier than Bernie to important positions.

BobPatterson

Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:27 am

2Holer4Longhaul wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
2Holer4Longhaul wrote:
Rachel Dolezal

Can't think of any names. The Democrats so far have had the sense to not nominate anyone crazier than Bernie to important positions.

Well, you have already proposed two names:

Rachel Dolezal
The ghost of Barack Hussein Obama, Sr.

Dead people have managed to get elected, but they must still be citizens.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:15 am

Seems the race could be more competitive than previously thought. Just like we saw in Louisiana in 2015, if the right Democrat is nominated against a polarizing Republican, the race suddenly could become a pure tossup. Moore still holds a 5+point lead over Jones, but the fact that this is deep-red Alabama means that such a lead should be even larger. Two months and change before the special election. Anything goes but AL seems to be lighter than usual.

jetero

Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:11 pm

2Holer4Longhaul wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
2Holer4Longhaul wrote:
Rachel Dolezal

Um, (1) he's not a Democrat, and (2) he wasn't nominated.

2Holer4Longhaul

Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:30 pm

jetero wrote:
2Holer4Longhaul wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:

Um, (1) he's not a Democrat, and (2) he wasn't nominated.

He was actually offered their nomination in the VT Sent a couple of times.

treetreeseven

Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:44 am

wingman wrote:
Trump and Fox have now fully let the genie of White supremacy and racism out of the bottle. As long as that crazy shit stays 2500 miles from the West Coast I'll just laugh my ass off as the collective stupidity and backwardness of that state. Trump now deleting tweets supporting Strange, the guy reaches new heights of assholiness on a daily basis.

"That crazy shit" has always been a lot closer to home than 2500 miles. To wit: https://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtow ... convention

Francoflier wrote:
The genie is now out of the bottle, and the bigots, bible bashers, the 2nd amendment freaks and other among the low-education white trash are now free to spew their bile and sound the horns every time the nut jobs they idolize push inflammatory, divise and hate-mongering statements or actions.

It is far from only the uneducated. See above.

OA412 wrote:
A failed state continues to take steps and make choices that will ensure its continued failure. Bottom rung in education, healthcare, human development; the list goes on. Moore just ensures they'll remain at the bottom as the brain drain continues. The only tears I'm shedding over this relate to my tax dollars having to prop up these failed Southern theocracies just because I live in a successful state.

I shed tears for friends there who don't have the means to escape.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:33 am

I like how the Democrat's message is "I won't embarrass the state"; this due to the high profile scandals in AL politics where Moore was essentially removed from the bench, the AL Speaker resigned due to corruption, and AL governor resigned due to a sex scandal (and some corruption on the side). I wonder if it will be enough to sway voters who would otherwise be turned off by Moore.

Unfortunately, in the South, you may be the most decorated veteran and pro-2nd amendment guy around, but to have (D) after your name is fatal.

jetero

Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:54 am

treetreeseven wrote:

Hey, it’s home, torturous at times, sure. But nothing to escape from for the sake of escaping. S-Town is well worth listening to.

treetreeseven

Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:05 pm

jetero wrote:
treetreeseven wrote:

Hey, it’s home, torturous at times, sure. But nothing to escape from for the sake of escaping. S-Town is well worth listening to.

Yeah, I'm talking about drastically inadequate social services and medical care, and cops who won't haul somebody in for beating their kids if it's "disciplinary."

tommy1808

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:44 am

And, what a surprise, Mr. Christian Moral Superhero is funneling Money into his own and his families pockets without the foundation declaring it...

Being a Christian fundamentalist is much better that joining ISIS, no thread of Hellfire missiles and 15k USD/Month "compensation" for just being a part time extremist.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investig ... caf2f812d1

best regards
Thomas