atcsundevil
Topic Author

Cruise Ship Thread 2017

Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:11 pm

This will be a continuation from Cruise Ship Part 4. Even though there isn't much left of 2017, this thread will only run through the remainder of the year to fit our restructuring of long-running threads to a calendar schedule, rather than post count or page length. A new thread will be opened at the start of 2018 to replace this one, and will remain open for the entire year.

Previous thread: viewtopic.php?p=18631105#p18631105

Happy sailing!

OA260

Re: Cruise Ship 2017

Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:23 pm

Thanks for the new thread and will be great to have a new one at start of 2018 :).
---

Just in response to the last few posts :

na

My favourite name proposals in historical order:
Queen Anne (ruling Queen 300 years ago)
Queen Charlotte (wife of George III)
Queen Alexandra (wife of Edward VII)
Aquitania
Caronia

I am not sure really what I would like it to be called. Out of those Queen Alexandra is ok. That is of course if they stick with tradition and it actually is named after a Queen .

-----

einsteinboricua

Not sure if I'm a big fan of the outdoor promenade. That runs the risk of lost business if it's extremely windy, rainy, or rough seas, all of which can happen at any time.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

I was thinking the same. Ok in good climates but not sure I would want to spend time out there unless it was ideal conditions. Nothing better then breakfast Al Fresco usually at the Aft of the ship but sometimes I have been on ships where it was only open 50% of the time due to winds etc...

na

Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:29 pm

Looking at the oversized "forehead" of the new Cunard project I would say "Queen Charlotte" would fit best. This queen of the second half of the 18th century was wearing the then ruling towering wigs, which were looking just as odd :lol:

OA260

Re: Cruise Ship Thread 2017

Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:39 pm

Cunard, P&O UK and Princess to offer same-sex marriages at sea

While Australia grapples with the same-sex marriage debate, cruise ships registered in Bermuda can now offer same-sex wedding ceremonies for couples who want to get married at sea. Three cruise lines under the Carnival Corporation umbrella – Cunard, P&O UK and Princess – are planning to offer same-sex weddings from next year, with the first ceremony taking place on board P&O UK's Azura in January. Princess has 13 ships registered in Bermuda and P&O UK has seven. Over the past five years, more than 250 couples have been married by the ship's captain on Cunard's three ships, Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth. "Cunard is proud to become among the first cruise lines to offer same-sex marriages at sea," said Josh Leibowitz, senior vice president, Cunard North America.

http://www.traveller.com.au/cruise-news ... tor-gyjh5k

OA260

Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:40 am

Royal Caribbean sends cruise ship to help Puerto Rico

Royal Caribbean is using a cruise ship to help evacuate people from Puerto Rico and deliver needed supplies to Caribbean islands.

The cruise line announced on Tuesday that it is canceling its September 30 Adventure of the Seas trip so it can use the ship to help victims of Hurricane Maria.

The 3,800 passenger vessel will bring aid to San Juan, as well as St. Croix and St. Thomas, which were hit by both Maria and Hurricane Irma. Adventure arrives in San Juan on Wednesday and will take evacuees to Fort Lauderdale before returning to Puerto Rico next week.

The evacuations come as people remain stranded inside Puerto Rico's main airport, which is running on fumes. Only ten flights made it in and out of the San Juan airport on Tuesday, and just 18 are scheduled for Wednesday. Security checks are being done by hand because TSA equipment was damaged in the storm and airlines are having a hard time printing boarding passes.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/27/news/ro ... erto-rico/

Anyone have an idea when San Juan cruise port will be open for business again?

jetwet1

Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:47 pm

OA260 wrote:
Thanks for the new thread and will be great to have a new one at start of 2018 :).
---

Just in response to the last few posts :

na

My favourite name proposals in historical order:
Queen Anne (ruling Queen 300 years ago)
Queen Charlotte (wife of George III)
Queen Alexandra (wife of Edward VII)
Aquitania
Caronia

I am not sure really what I would like it to be called. Out of those Queen Alexandra is ok. That is of course if they stick with tradition and it actually is named after a Queen .

-----

einsteinboricua

Not sure if I'm a big fan of the outdoor promenade. That runs the risk of lost business if it's extremely windy, rainy, or rough seas, all of which can happen at any time.

I was thinking the same. Ok in good climates but not sure I would want to spend time out there unless it was ideal conditions. Nothing better then breakfast Al Fresco usually at the Aft of the ship but sometimes I have been on ships where it was only open 50% of the time due to winds etc...

I can't remember what I posted, but I would be more than happy with Caronia, though to me I don't think the name is fitting for this ship, the Coronia name is something special IMHO and there is nothing special about this upcoming ship....Save she may be the ugliest Cunard ship ever.

Kiwirob

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:07 am

The number of new vessels on order is really crazy.

The rapid pace of new construction is continuing for the cruise industry. In recent weeks, five orders were announced, construction began on three new cruise ships and four others were floated or nearer to delivery.

90 new cruise ships are on order, representing a investment of more than $60 billion and a 50 percent increase in the industry’s total berths. Deliveries are scheduled out to 2026, but the largest group of new ships will be introduced in 2019. That year alone 23 new cruise ships with more than 42,000 berths are due.

According to industry analysts, increasing global demand for the cruises is coming from all parts of the industry and will be spread out globally. One of the largest growth segments will be in expeditions with 20 new ships on order and scheduled to begin entering service in mid-2018. In the deluxe segments, three ships were delivered this year and another 13 are on order, including Marriott International’s recently announced entry into cruising with The Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection. Eight additional ships are also on order dedicated to the Chinese market, but after three ships deployed this year, the next new ship for China is not scheduled until 2019.

Among the recently-announced orders was the first new ship in seven years for Cunard Line ordered from Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri and expected to be delivered in 2022. This will also be the first time since 1998, and the acquisition by Carnival Corporation, that Cunard Line operates four ships. The 113,000 gross ton ship with accommodations for up to 3,000 guests, is based on the Koningsdam design for Holland America Line, and will be the 249th in Cunard’s history.

Saga Cruises has exercised its option for a sister ship to its 58,250 gross ton Spirit of Discovery whichis currently under construction at Meyer Werft, while Disney Cruise Line added a third ship to its current contract with Meyer Werft for two 135,000 gross ton ships.

Following the launch earlier this year of the 40,600 gross ton Silver Muse, Silversea Cruises ordered a sister ship from Fincantieri and signed a contract to lengthen one of its luxury ships, the Silver Spirit. Starting in March 2018, Fincantieri’s Palermo shipyard will insert a 49-foot-long midsection with 34 new suites into the nine-year-old ship.

These new contracts are a continuation of the cruise industry’s current growth. So far, in 2017, nine new ships have been delivered, including the Majestic Princess (Princess Cruises) and the Norwegian Joy (Norwegian Cruise Line) dedicated to the Chinese market, as well as new ships in Europe for TUI, AIDA Cruises, and MSC Cruises. Viking Ocean Cruises also took delivery of its fourth new ship on September 25, its second new ship this year.

Deliveries are pending in the coming weeks for both Dream Cruises’ World Dream, which will enter the Asian market, and MSC Cruises’ MSC Seaside, which is due in Miami in December.

In September, the first keel blocks were laid at Meyer Werft for the AIDAnova, the industry’s first LNG-powered cruise ship, while at Meyer Turku steel cutting began for the Costa Smeralda, another LNG-powered ship. Fincantieri began construction in Monfalcone on Princess Cruises’ next new ship while the launch of the Seabourn Ovation was celebrated at Sestri, and the MSC Seaview was floated out at Monfalcone.

There is no sign that the pace will slow. With consumer demand continuing to grow and the cruise lines still seeking to expand their market share, the outlook for new orders remains strong.

I struggle to see how the industry can sustain such growth.

SmithAir747

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:57 pm

On Tuesday 19 September, whilst I was in London, I was up in the Shard observatory. Looking down on the Thames, I saw this small cruise ship moored next to HMS Belfast.

What ship is this, and why was it there?

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

jetwet1

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:10 pm

Ocean Majesty

It is there pretty much every year, has been for a while.

2707200X

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:29 am

I saw a documentary of the MV Ocean Princess ship on the Smithsonian Channel about a week ago. It went from London to Saint Petersburg, Russia then back.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

OA260

Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:50 pm

jetwet1

Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:35 pm

ChrisKen wrote:
Crossing N. Atlantic in December sounds unappealing but you swap a purpose built TATL liner for an oversized gin palace that's still crossing the North Atlantic in December.....seems logical. :?

Well you will be happy to hear, Mrs Jetwet1 went behind my back and set up a family reunion on my side of the family, with the time off already booked we will be heading back to the QM 2 for the Trans Atlantic.

OA260

Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:45 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
ChrisKen wrote:
Crossing N. Atlantic in December sounds unappealing but you swap a purpose built TATL liner for an oversized gin palace that's still crossing the North Atlantic in December.....seems logical. :?

Well you will be happy to hear, Mrs Jetwet1 went behind my back and set up a family reunion on my side of the family, with the time off already booked we will be heading back to the QM 2 for the Trans Atlantic.

Cool what month are you sailing? Nice surprise. :)

jetwet1

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:00 am

Dec 2018

Kiwirob

Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:12 am

The keel was laid for the first Virgin Voyages ship yesterday. If the renders are accurate these will be pretty distinctive vessels.

910A

Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:07 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
The keel was laid for the first Virgin Voyages ship yesterday. If the renders are accurate these will be pretty distinctive vessels.

Adults only cruising..
Virgin Voyages has a message for parents thinking of booking one of its first sailings: Leave the kids at home.

The first ship in development for the start-up cruise line will be for adults only, president and CEO Tom McAlpin revealed Tuesday during an event at the shipyard in Italy that is building it.

Appearing alongside Virgin Group founder Richard Branson at the Fincantieri shipyard in Genoa, Italy, McAlpin said the minimum age to sail on the 2,860-passenger vessel will be 18 — a cut-off he said was influenced by feedback from the public and travel sellers.

McAlpin said 86% of the cabins on the ship will have balconies, which he's calling sea terraces.

Virgin's first vessel is scheduled to debut in 2020 with two more arriving in 2021 and 2022.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/c ... 817927001/

Ken777

Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:30 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
The number of new vessels on order is really crazy.

I struggle to see how the industry can sustain such growth.

The big fear I have is the impact on a recession, which some are projecting in a year or two. If that happens then us poor folks on Social Security might be able to get in a cruise or two each year.

Even if there is no recession I can see competition gaining strength, with fares falling significantly, especially for lower status staterooms. Like airlines the fleet owners are going to be closely monitoring and managing fares. The wife and I have (hopefully) finished with cancers and can start looking for deals again.

jetwet1

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:43 pm

Semi related, but I am hearing down the grapevine that the QE2 will open next month as a hotel, it seems that work restarted on her a while back but reports really have been no existent.

Edit : Found these two links

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaZfcrslcV9/

https://www.thenational.ae/uae/governme ... s-1.630638

OA260

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:05 pm

I recently returned from a 2 week Transatlantic cruise with RCI on the lovely Jewel of the Seas. It started out at Rome with stops at Valencia,Lisbon,Ponta Delgada ( Azores ) , 6 days at sea which were bliss and ending in San Juan PR. The ship was great and so were my fellow passengers. Loved all the places I visited. Some for the 2nd / 3rd time. Staff onboard were brilliant and food decent quality. The sea days were great to just unwind and relax. The two weeks flew by.

Here are a few pics to sum up the trip.

Nice balcony cabin on deck 9

Adults only Solarium

Gala night
Lazy days at sea warm with calm seas.

Strait of Gibraltar

Sailing under the bridge in Lisbon

Jewel of the Seas had the honor of docking on the day the new cruise terminal opened. Only 15 mins walk from the main city centre. Lots of media and VIPs that day.

Due to the larger than normal number of top tier members onboard RCI added some nice perks. Free unlimited speciality coffee from Lattitudes ( Cafe ) and two nightly private venues for free drinks and hot buffet/sweets every night. Those were nice perks.

Azores always an interesting stop

Arrival at San Juan and some of the hurricane damage opposite the cruise terminal .

Govenor out jogging

Aid workers from Mainland USA restoring power which was knocked out across the Island and still majority relying on generators.

I had been nervous about going to San Juan as the Island was very badly damaged and without power. Airlines were cancelling flights at short notice and hundreds were stranded for weeks at the Airport sleeping on the floor. Thankfully when we arrived things had got back to some sort of normality and the airport was running on generators even though they had regular power cuts. It turned out fine though. San Juan is pretty much back to normal.

The cruise was great and already looking at my next TATL. I certainly recommend it.

einsteinboricua

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:21 pm

I was on the fence as to whether I wanted to go to Europe for New Years or take a Transatlantic cruise next year. Seeing these pictures convinced me I should go for the cruise (and go for a long one...starting in Rome, maybe).

I need a vacation where all I do is unwind. No school, no work, no worries other than to relax and enjoy myself.

OA260

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:24 am

I certainly recommend it. I don’t like port intensive itineraries that much. One port then two sea days are my ideal over a two week period. Thinking of TATL in 2018 and 2019 maybe on some varied itineraries. I’ve done Europe and the Caribbean 10 x over at this stage. South America , Alaska are on my to do list.

This cruise was somewhat different in demography due to the hurricane in PR. Wealthier Puerto Rican’s who had no power at home decided to pack up and take holidays in Europe then cruise back. The fares were quite good value so it made sense. I was talking to a few of them and that’s what they told me. I’d say over 500 were in this category.