• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 7
 
stratosphere
Topic Author
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:45 pm

Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:00 am

Well looks like Stevie Wonder is the latest one to take a knee. This time at the Global Citizen Festival in NYC. You know I am not huge USA cheerleader or flag waver. I do think we have problems. We stick our nose in too many others affairs and I am more than tired being the worlds policeman. Our cops a lot of them abuse the badge but a lot of them are good too. However, I do have a problem with mutli million dollar celebrities and athletes who seem to think they are among the disenfranchised. It is their right to take a knee I get that. It is also the right of an employer to can you or not hire you if you are deemed to be a liability to their organization or just suck as a quarterback i.e (Kaepernick). You superstars have been blessed with opportunities you would not have any where else in the world and have a better quality of life than 99% of people in this country not to mention the world even as a blind man in the case of Stevie Wonder. Even with all our faults this country is a pretty good deal if it wasn't there wouldn't be so many trying to get here. If you don't like it here there is the F'ng door don't let it hit you in the ass. I am still waiting for all the Hollywood liberals who said they were absolutely moving to Canada if Trump was elected. Well I am still waiting why are you not packing? I'll help you pack if need be.
 
User avatar
WarRI1
Posts: 10095
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:17 am

I have never really been a fan of the right of a corporation to fire someone exercising their rights given to them by our Constitution. We also have Union contracts in force possibly.. As was said, I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight for your right to say or express it. Free speech and expression. I like those ideals. We have to be careful what power we grant to those who have abused it in the past, such as corporations, politicians, police and such.
Last edited by WarRI1 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.
 
socalgeo
Posts: 397
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:56 pm

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:19 am

The whole thing is a mess. I've tried to listen to what Colin Kapernick (sp?) has to say, but in the end it seems like a lot of non-specific grievances that add up to a general state of anger. I've never heard any coherent set of ideas or improvements that need to be made, other than the police are bad and black people are oppressed. While I fully support these peoples right to act out by kneeling or raising their fists, I'm saddened by the protest of the Star Spangled Banner because I was raised by my parents that what makes us all Americans is our belief in the ideals that the national anthem represents - regardless of our politics or race we are Americans. I fear that the people protesting aren't actually interested in finding solutions. If they were they would take the opportunity to reach out in a more positive way.

my 2 cents FWIW

queue the haters in 5....4.....3....2....1......Bam
 
User avatar
Super80Fan
Posts: 410
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:14 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:20 am

Pretty simple answer to all of this. I don't like Colin Kapernick, I don't like what he or his followers stand for. At the same time, I would die to protect his and everyone else's first amendment right to kneel, sit, do whatever during the national anthem.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
 
Mir
Posts: 19374
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:55 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:31 am

stratosphere wrote:
However, I do have a problem with mutli million dollar celebrities and athletes who seem to think they are among the disenfranchised.


I know what you mean. Hell, one of them is even the president and he still can't stop playing the victim.

socalgeo wrote:
I've tried to listen to what Colin Kapernick (sp?) has to say, but in the end it seems like a lot of non-specific grievances that add up to a general state of anger.


Sounds a lot like one of Trump's rallies.
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day
 
jetero
Posts: 1521
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:34 am

Yeah heaven forbid people in a place of privilege take a stand on anything. Let's let Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter, Laura Ingraham, and Alex Jones decide how we should behave. Hell let's let that Cadre of Losers decide for the whole country what it means to be American.
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 2890
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:12 am

jetero wrote:
Yeah heaven forbid people in a place of privilege take a stand on anything. Let's let Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter, Laura Ingraham, and Alex Jones decide how we should behave. Hell let's let that Cadre of Losers decide for the whole country what it means to be American.

What/Who are the cadre of winners you would instead follow?
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
jetero
Posts: 1521
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:20 am

BobPatterson wrote:
jetero wrote:
Yeah heaven forbid people in a place of privilege take a stand on anything. Let's let Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter, Laura Ingraham, and Alex Jones decide how we should behave. Hell let's let that Cadre of Losers decide for the whole country what it means to be American.

What/Who are the cadre of winners you would instead follow?


It doesn't have to be so binary, Bob.
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 2890
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:23 am

jetero wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
jetero wrote:
Yeah heaven forbid people in a place of privilege take a stand on anything. Let's let Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter, Laura Ingraham, and Alex Jones decide how we should behave. Hell let's let that Cadre of Losers decide for the whole country what it means to be American.

What/Who are the cadre of winners you would instead follow?


It doesn't have to be so binary, Bob.

I was hoping for real names, not 1s and 0s.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
jetero
Posts: 1521
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:29 am

BobPatterson wrote:
jetero wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
What/Who are the cadre of winners you would instead follow?


It doesn't have to be so binary, Bob.

I was hoping for real names, not 1s and 0s.


I don't follow individuals, I follow outlets. "Newspapers of record," as the case may be. I'm sure you get the idea.
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 2890
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:05 am

Oh, well that's OK. Which news outlets tell you what it means to be American?
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
jetero
Posts: 1521
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:07 am

BobPatterson wrote:
Oh, well that's OK. Which news outlets tell you what it means to be American?


I don't listen to any that purports to do so, Bob. That's the point.
 
jetero
Posts: 1521
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:10 am

socalgeo wrote:
queue the haters in 5....4.....3....2....1......Bam


"If people disagree with me they must be 'haters.'"

Awesome. And to think you have a grown son, yet behaving like a 12-year-old. Boy have we regressed.

(It's "cue," BTW. A "queue" is a line.)
 
Airstud
Posts: 3458
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:14 am

jetero wrote:
Yeah heaven forbid people in a place of privilege take a stand on anything. Let's let Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter, Laura Ingraham, and Alex Jones decide how we should behave. Hell let's let that Cadre of Losers decide for the whole country what it means to be American.


Someone's got a beef with Kaepernick and that means they're advocating letting those four wingnuts "decide how we should behave?"

Then you tell Bob "it doesn't have to be binary"... :sarcastic:
Pancakes are delicious.
 
jetero
Posts: 1521
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:18 am

Airstud wrote:
jetero wrote:
Yeah heaven forbid people in a place of privilege take a stand on anything. Let's let Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter, Laura Ingraham, and Alex Jones decide how we should behave. Hell let's let that Cadre of Losers decide for the whole country what it means to be American.


Someone's got a beef with Kaepernick and that means they're advocating letting those four wingnuts "decide how we should behave?"

Then you tell Bob "it doesn't have to be binary"... :sarcastic:


Pancakes are delicious.
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 4209
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:44 am

Whatever one thinks about these athletes' actions, the one thing we can say for sure is that Trump is, as usual, making an absolute mess of it.
He is once again antagonising, dividing and generally twisting knives in sensitive wounds, all for the sake of appealing to his minority base.
He went on another ego-stroking rally deep in Trump country, where his most popular bile attack seemed to be the one on NFL players, so the first thing he did when he got back home was to unleash his newly found material onto America.

Funny enough, he once again seems to be going along racial lines here... wonder why?
:scratchchin:
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
LittleFokker
Posts: 814
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:25 pm

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:28 am

The movement has now spread to baseball, and it's a White player choosing to kneel. I'm willing to bet money that Trump won't attack this person by name:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2079 ... nal-anthem

Also, given how Trump went after the whole NFL this week, I wouldn't be surprised if the number of players kneeling triples or quadruples. Additionally, I will be curious about how many from the Ravens/Jaguars game do it since that game is in London. And if they kneel for the US anthem, would they do the same for "God Save the Queen?"
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre
 
B777LRF
Posts: 1794
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:23 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:26 am

LittleFokker wrote:
And if they kneel for the US anthem, would they do the same for "God Save the Queen?"


Playing the national anthem is, generally speaking, not done at sporting events in Europe. It only happens at medal ceremonies, e.g. at the end of a F1 race or when an athlete is handed a medal for winning this, that or the other. But before the game/play has started? Nope, not a chance.
From receips and radials over straight pipes to big fans - been there, done that, got the hearing defects to prove
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 14689
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:20 am

B777LRF wrote:
But before the game/play has started? Nope, not a chance.


Not usually for club games, but the anthems of both teams are normally played before any rugby or football international.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
lugie
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:11 pm

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:28 am

The best response to this whole mess came from Detroit tight end Eric Ebron.
He tweeted:

Does anyone tell trump to stick to politics, like they tell us to stick to sports? Smh.


Who does Trump think he is to tell employers to fire their employees over them exercising their first amendment rights?
Who the hell does he think he is to refer to Colin Kaepernick and those joining him as "sons of bitches"?

He didn't really have a problem with violent neonazis disrespecting America by waving third reich and CSA flags, but how dare these uppity blacks not conform, right?
Q400 E175 CRJ9 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 B733 B738 B788
X3 LH 4U TP US YX SN EI LA
FRA STR HAM TXL ACE BRU BLL DUB MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT
 
ltbewr
Posts: 12919
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:53 pm

If your are a Black person, including if you are a million+ a year sports person or business executive, you face micro and macro aggressions, stomach churning fear from racism and a President who supports White Supremacy and against any challenge of it. While I would rather not see protests during the National Anthem at sporting events as I think they are counterproductive, too many victims of racism will no longer be silent and use any relatively peaceful way to bring attention to their beliefs.
 
Mir
Posts: 19374
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:55 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:57 pm

B777LRF wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:
And if they kneel for the US anthem, would they do the same for "God Save the Queen?"


Playing the national anthem is, generally speaking, not done at sporting events in Europe.


It is done at the NFL games in London. Both the US and UK anthems are played.
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day
 
User avatar
OA412
Crew
Posts: 4224
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2000 6:22 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:59 pm

lugie wrote:
The best response to this whole mess came from Detroit tight end Eric Ebron.
He tweeted:

Does anyone tell trump to stick to politics, like they tell us to stick to sports? Smh.


Who does Trump think he is to tell employers to fire their employees over them exercising their first amendment rights?
Who the hell does he think he is to refer to Colin Kaepernick and those joining him as "sons of bitches"?

He didn't really have a problem with violent neonazis disrespecting America by waving third reich and CSA flags, but how dare these uppity blacks not conform, right?

Gotta love Colin Kaepernick's mom dragging of Trump where she, as you did, noted he used harsher language to condemn these athletes with legitimate grievances than he did to condemn Nazis and White Supremaciststs. She then called herself a "proud bitch." Hahaha!
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West
 
B777LRF
Posts: 1794
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:23 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:08 pm

Mir wrote:
B777LRF wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:
And if they kneel for the US anthem, would they do the same for "God Save the Queen?"


Playing the national anthem is, generally speaking, not done at sporting events in Europe.


It is done at the NFL games in London. Both the US and UK anthems are played.


Hence the caveat 'generally speaking' ;)
From receips and radials over straight pipes to big fans - been there, done that, got the hearing defects to prove
 
jetero
Posts: 1521
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:09 pm

Bully Bozo is at it again this AM, encouraging people to boycott the NFL. Surely lots of his mindless, blind supporters will heed his call. (You know those same supporters who are obsessed about freedom of speech.)

Meanwhile, across the pond

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... 4480e6a0d9
 
jetwet1
Posts: 2280
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:42 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:29 pm

This could turn into a very interesting situation, in one corner you have Trump, in the other a few hundred multi millionaires.

The big difference is, those multi millionaires happen to have the ear of the largest block of people who didn't bother to vote in the last election, this could turn very nasty for the Republicans in the 2018 elections if these guys decide to get motivated against Trump.
 
seb146
Posts: 15360
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:00 pm

There have been several memes about this whole "hate people who take a knee" story. One of them shows what people at home do while the National Anthem is playing (sitting on the couch drinking beer) and the other shows what people who hate the "take a knee during the National Anthem people" wear: the flag.

What is wrong with sports and entertainment people using their positions to hold a mirror up to the American people? To show what we really want? To tell cops to stop killing unarmed Black people? That health care should not be for the elite only? That people are working way too damn hard for way too damn little? Why is it such a bad thing for Kimmell and Kapaernick and Ashley Judd and Cher and Kathy Griffin and so forth to mansplain that to the right? We never hear any whines about "Hollywood elites" when things like this happen:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... t-20070824

I wonder why?
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter
 
LittleFokker
Posts: 814
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:25 pm

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:20 pm

Pittsburgh Steelers have elected to remain in the locker room during National Anthem.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre
 
jetero
Posts: 1521
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:21 pm

seb146 wrote:
There have been several memes about this whole "hate people who take a knee" story. One of them shows what people at home do while the National Anthem is playing (sitting on the couch drinking beer) and the other shows what people who hate the "take a knee during the National Anthem people" wear: the flag.

What is wrong with sports and entertainment people using their positions to hold a mirror up to the American people? To show what we really want? To tell cops to stop killing unarmed Black people? That health care should not be for the elite only? That people are working way too damn hard for way too damn little? Why is it such a bad thing for Kimmell and Kapaernick and Ashley Judd and Cher and Kathy Griffin and so forth to mansplain that to the right? We never hear any whines about "Hollywood elites" when things like this happen:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... t-20070824

I wonder why?


Oh we know why because the vast, vast majority of them side with Democratic policies. We all know if the shoe were on the other foot it'd be a different story. See Nugent, Ted, Woods, James, Rock, Kid and any other B-Lister who Trump (the epitome of a wannabe B-Lister) can count as a supporter.
 
Alias1024
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:13 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:19 pm

Jaguars owner Shahid Khan joined his players, locking arms with them, as they knelt during the anthem. I don't think he'll be following Trump's advice to fire players that kneel.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 5728
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:25 pm

I see the OP is triggered yet again. Maybe the Trump presidency is a boon for liberals after all. We get to enjoy these so called tough conservatives get triggered faster than lightning.

Oh, what's in store for us when Christmas rolls around. Being triggered because someone said "Happy Holidays" and Starbucks decided to have solid color cups (in all colors to represent diversity). I can't wait!
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
jetero
Posts: 1521
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:28 pm

Alias1024 wrote:
Jaguars owner Shahid Khan joined his players, locking arms with them, as they knelt during the anthem. I don't think he'll be following Trump's advice to fire players that kneel.


Sounds like a Muslim to me.

In a city with a Muslim mayor.

Trump will surely be tweeting soon about a conspiracy.
 
jetero
Posts: 1521
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:30 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
I see the OP is triggered yet again. Maybe the Trump presidency is a boon for liberals after all. We get to enjoy these so called tough conservatives get triggered faster than lightning.

Oh, what's in store for us when Christmas rolls around. Being triggered because someone said "Happy Holidays" and Starbucks decided to have solid color cups (in all colors to represent diversity). I can't wait!


They're all for free speech, though. Don't forget.

And like all good Republicans, they're absolutely for repeated blatant interference by the US government with the free enterprise system.
 
BravoOne
Posts: 2196
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:35 pm

Blacks who were never slaves are fighting whites who were never Nazis over a Confederate statue erected by southern Democrats because now Democrats can't stand their own history anymore. Don't know about others but I'm getting pretty tired of this petty crap from a bunch of over paid whinny little prima donnas. The NFL is a criminal organization and should be cut down just little. I'll bet viewership falls significantly this year. Trump needs to button his lip as well.

Play ball or cut bait but don't waste my time with your petty asinine bitching.
Last edited by BravoOne on Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
jetero
Posts: 1521
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:37 pm

BravoOne wrote:
Blacks who were never slaves are fighting whites who were never Nazis over a Confederate statue erected by southern Democrats because now Democrats can't stand their own history anymore. Don't know about others but I'm getting pretty tired of this petty crap from a bunch of over paid whinny little prima donnas. The NFL is a criminal organization and should be cut down just little.


Great synopsis. You must've really stretched out your brain fibers for that one.
 
BravoOne
Posts: 2196
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:42 pm

Jetero you are pathetic. I'm putting you on my ignore list as we don't take the race card or whinning where I come form.

Good day kid
 
jetero
Posts: 1521
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:43 pm

Don't take "whinning" and definitely not good at "winning."

You a Perennial C- student, BravoOne? Still suffering a hangover from the effects?
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 2758
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:31 pm

Some people really do go out of their way to be offended.
Most recent planes I've been in: A318 F-GUGQ, A319 F-GRHR, A320ceo D-AIZH, A320neo D-AINE, A330-300 VH-QPD, A350-900 B-LRA, A380-800 D-AIMH, 737-600 LN-RPA, 737-700 OY-JTY, 737-800 LN-NGA, 767-300 ZK-NCI, 777-200 ZK-OKD, 787-9 ZK-NZH PW94
 
jetero
Posts: 1521
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:33 pm

zkojq wrote:
Some people really do go out of their way to be offended.


While calling the other "side" "snowflakes."
 
User avatar
lugie
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:11 pm

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:03 pm

18 US Code §227

(a) Whoever, being a covered government person, with the intent to influence, solely on the basis of partisan political affiliation, an employment decision or employment practice of any private entity—
    (1) takes or withholds, or offers or threatens to take or withhold, an official act, or
    (2) influences, or offers or threatens to influence, the official act of another,
    shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for not more than 15 years, or both, and may be disqualified from holding any office of honor, trust, or profit under the United States.

(b) In this section, the term “covered government person” means—
    (1) a Senator or Representative in, or a Delegate or Resident Commissioner to, the Congress;
    (2) an employee of either House of Congress; or
    (3) the President, Vice President, an employee of the United States Postal Service or the Postal Regulatory Commission, or any other executive branch employee (as such term is defined under section 2105 of title 5, United States Code).

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/227

how did that song go again?
...LOCK HIM UP, LOCK HIM UP, LOCK HIM UP,...
Q400 E175 CRJ9 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 B733 B738 B788
X3 LH 4U TP US YX SN EI LA
FRA STR HAM TXL ACE BRU BLL DUB MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT
 
jetero
Posts: 1521
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:10 pm

lugie wrote:
18 US Code §227

(a) Whoever, being a covered government person, with the intent to influence, solely on the basis of partisan political affiliation, an employment decision or employment practice of any private entity—
    (1) takes or withholds, or offers or threatens to take or withhold, an official act, or
    (2) influences, or offers or threatens to influence, the official act of another,
    shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for not more than 15 years, or both, and may be disqualified from holding any office of honor, trust, or profit under the United States.

(b) In this section, the term “covered government person” means—
    (1) a Senator or Representative in, or a Delegate or Resident Commissioner to, the Congress;
    (2) an employee of either House of Congress; or
    (3) the President, Vice President, an employee of the United States Postal Service or the Postal Regulatory Commission, or any other executive branch employee (as such term is defined under section 2105 of title 5, United States Code).

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/227

how did that song go again?
...LOCK HIM UP, LOCK HIM UP, LOCK HIM UP,...


There's no evidence, no evidence. Total witch hunt. Alex Jones told me so!

Plus ... but Hillary ... HILLARY!!!!!!!!
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 15867
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:14 pm

Surprise! Trump and his supporters are really bloody racist part #271,628,127. As someone said ‘I’d take a knee with Colin any day before standing with Trump.’
E pur si muove -Galileo
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 15867
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:36 pm

BravoOne wrote:
Blacks who were never slaves are fighting whites who were never Nazis over a Confederate statue erected by southern Democrats because now Democrats can't stand their own history anymore. Don't know about others but I'm getting pretty tired of this petty crap from a bunch of over paid whinny little prima donnas. The NFL is a criminal organization and should be cut down just little. I'll bet viewership falls significantly this year. Trump needs to button his lip as well.

Play ball or cut bait but don't waste my time with your petty asinine bitching.

“Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt”
But congrats on removing all doubt in one sentence
E pur si muove -Galileo
 
coolian2
Posts: 2328
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:34 pm

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:54 pm

Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/CRJ-700/-900
 
NoTime
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:21 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:56 pm

I'm very curious to see how this plays out. The NFL fanbase is predominately white, male and conservative... and in the end, after all the platitudes, the NFL is a business that needs to make money. By letting this issue spiral out of control, they are alienating a large segment of their customer base. And, despite all the cheering coming from the left (especially the social justice left), I don't think the NFL will be able to make up their loss in viewership with the coastal cheese-eaters who, up until a few days ago, probably scoffed at football as a violent sport for the uncouth masses.

In all honesty, I couldn't care less what perceived grievances Kaepernick and his ilk are trying to protest. They certainly have the right to act foolish. I just wish we didn't have to see this ridiculous culture war in every aspect of our lives. (And I wish our President would pick and choose his battles a little more carefully.)

In the end, I think the league (and especially Goodell) are going to be the ones paying the price for this nonsense, and it serves them right.
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 2890
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:18 am

NoTime wrote:
I'm very curious to see how this plays out. The NFL fanbase is predominately white, male and conservative... and in the end, after all the platitudes, the NFL is a business that needs to make money. By letting this issue spiral out of control, they are alienating a large segment of their customer base. And, despite all the cheering coming from the left (especially the social justice left), I don't think the NFL will be able to make up their loss in viewership with the coastal cheese-eaters who, up until a few days ago, probably scoffed at football as a violent sport for the uncouth masses.

In all honesty, I couldn't care less what perceived grievances Kaepernick and his ilk are trying to protest. They certainly have the right to act foolish. I just wish we didn't have to see this ridiculous culture war in every aspect of our lives. (And I wish our President would pick and choose his battles a little more carefully.)

In the end, I think the league (and especially Goodell) are going to be the ones paying the price for this nonsense, and it serves them right.

I think that most Americans as well as most sports fans will see things differently than you.

Sports, whether professional or amateur, are not opportunities for sweeping problems under a rug.

Perhaps you are not old enough to remember that happy day when Jackie Robinson first appeared at Ebbetts Field, or the many other days when fine athletes of color took their rightful places on college and professional teams. It wasn't so long ago.

Or when Mohamad Ali refused to fight the white man's wars while his people were not accorded full opportunity to realize the American dream. Jackie Robinson wore our nation's uniform but had to fight dearly for his rights, and for those with whom he served.

There are still deep problems in our society, and they will not be addressed fully so long as you, and others who think as you do, will not squarely face them and do something about them.

No suppression of free speech, on or off the field.

Lift every heart and sing.............
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
NoTime
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:21 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:31 am

BobPatterson wrote:
I think that most Americans as well as most sports fans will see things differently than you.


Well, we should have our answer relatively soon. I think this weekend's ratings might spike a bit, as people tuned in to see how the players would react. But, within a few weeks, we will know whether "most Americans" and "most sports fans" see things differently - based upon how the ratings look.

Sports, whether professional or amateur, are not opportunities for sweeping problems under a rug.


Sports, whether professional or amateur, are opportunities to escape this type of nonsense. Especially in this day and age, when everything else is saturated with politics. If I wanted to see social justice protests, I'd change the channel to MSNBC or head over to the local university.

And, please, don't compare this garbage to Robinson. They are as different as night and day. The only "deep problems" in our society are cultural ones... and no amount of kneeling is going to fix them.
 
coolian2
Posts: 2328
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:34 pm

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:02 am

"It's all about sports" he says in the thread opened to whine about Stevie Wonder.

Or is this a different Stevie Wonder? Which position does he play?
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/CRJ-700/-900
 
seb146
Posts: 15360
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:05 am

I found this interesting after a meme on a left wing site

http://www.snopes.com/nfl-sideline-anthem/

For what it's worth...
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter
 
stratosphere
Topic Author
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Global Citizen Festival take a knee everyone

Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:46 am

coolian2 wrote:
"It's all about sports" he says in the thread opened to whine about Stevie Wonder.

Or is this a different Stevie Wonder? Which position does he play?


Stevie plays the position of joining the others who feel the need to make a statement. You want to make a statement thats fine be prepared for any consequences
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 7

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: neutrino and 2 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos