Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DfwRevolution
Topic Author

Hey OA412... Your Moderation Needs to be Discussed

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:08 am

This should be presented to the A.net community in plain sight and not buried in a forum nobody reads. Today I observed that you did the following in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1374175

- You personally criticized a user
- You posted your own political opinion and then locked the thread so that others cannot
- You further locked the thread after acknowledging no forum rules have been broken

Does this represent a permissible moderation standard?

salttee

Re: Hey OA412... Your Moderation Needs to be Discussed

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:19 am

He very appropriately canned a thread that was pure hyperbole in the first place.
Last edited by salttee on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

DfwRevolution
Topic Author

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:33 am

salttee wrote:
He vary appropriately canned a thread that was pure hyperbole in the first place.

We are all perfectly capable of deciding what is (or isn't) hyperbole for ourselves. We're also capable of deciding whether something is worth replying (or not). There are topics on U.S. healthcare that have reached 11 pages with no shortage of hyperbolic claims.

For OA412 to provide his own political opinion and then shut-off discussion is both unprofessional and arrogant. OA412 has no monopoly on viewpoints.

NoTime

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:44 am

I'm just not sure I see why the thread in question was deserving of a lock, when there are hundreds of others in the non-Av forum that are much worse...

coolian2

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:10 am

I don't want to troll my Facebook so I'll troll here is a perfect reason for a lock.

salttee

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:33 am

Most sites suspend posters who question moderators actions in the forums.

FWIW, I think this thread should be closed too.

Georgetown

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:46 am

I RARELY ever comment on political threads here because I find it to be a quick race to the bottom by usual suspects, but I will say that I agree this was an unusual cutoff, even for this forum, and yes even if this was back in the 2004-2006 era. I would suggest unlocking that thread to save some credibility face, and I say that as someone on the other side of the political aisle.

seb146

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:06 am

I have seen other mods do all three things the OP talked about: voice their political opinion, say bad things about other users, and lock threads for no reason. So what? I feel the term "fake news" is being used too lightly, also. And overt threats to DPRK and Iran need to be challenged, not praised. Probably why OA412 locked the thread was the statement in the original post of the locked thread: "I didn't want to post this on FB and start a hell hole there..." So start one here?

777Jet

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:09 am

DfwRevolution wrote:
- You posted your own political opinion and then locked the thread so that others cannot
- You further locked the thread after acknowledging no forum rules have been broken

This isn't the first time either.

Cadet985

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:37 am

Calling out a mod publicly is not a good idea. I did that once and got a one month "vacation."

Marc

qf789

Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:08 am

DfwRevolution wrote:
This should be presented to the A.net community in plain sight and not buried in a forum nobody reads. Today I observed that you did the following in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1374175

- You personally criticized a user

Does this represent a permissible moderation standard?

Let's get a couple if things straight

Firstly I was the one who removed your original thread NOT OA412. If you have an issue with moderation you are to contact the moderators via email at moderators@airliners.net addressing your concerns. You have not done this yet you have decided upon yourself to engage in personal attacks against a moderator. This will not be tolerated. I spoke to OA412 about 8 hours ago along with the other moderators and we agree with OA412's decision.

I will also remind everyone that is an aviation website not a political one and even though we allow political comments they are subject to the same rules. Frankly your behavior along with others is pathetic and childish and I along with the other mods will not tolerate this type of behavior.

For those who keep reporting the original post enough is enough, some of the commentary with it has been below the belt and also I will add a moderator can not overrule another moderator.

Finally as your previous thread was removed you are in violation of the rules, as stated in the rules if your thread is deleted or locked you must receive permission from a moderator, which you haven't and therefore this thread is now locked.