Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

GDB
Topic Author

Stanislav Petrov

Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:31 pm

Who? A man in Russia who has died at 77, actually it was months ago but only now has the news got out;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41314948

No small thing to trust your instincts in the situation he found himself in back in September 1983, especially when you have been in the armed forces since 17, in a society where thinking for yourself was hardly encouraged.
Though it's true that the general public knew nothing of what nearly happened, intelligence sources, in the shape of an asset run by MI6, did pass it on. Received with some consternation and shock by senior Western political leadership.
Petrov himself, a Lt Col, was dismissed for not following procedure, if that sounds mad Petrov put it down to his immediate superior 'crapping on the bird below' to cover himself.
It had negative effects on his life, family.

In later years, Petrov was given awards not that a Nobel was in the running, which he would not have wanted, he didn't like the attention even when a documentary film was made about him a couple of years ago.

This is a UK TV documentary from 10 years ago, which puts into context the tensions of 1983, Petrov's story was just one of the elements which made it so dangerous, Petrov and his story are included;

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v55760583xQkAkrNQ
Last edited by GDB on Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dutchy

Re: Stanislav Petrov

Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:35 pm

A genuine hero in my book. The man whom choose reason above orders, which cost him dearly. He probably saved millions. Thanks for informing us.

wingman

Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:58 pm

Sunlight reflecting off clouds? I hope that if the NSA had the technology to help Russia improve its satellite imagery of clouds on a sunny day that they did in fact provide it to the KGB back in 1983, if only to make the United States, and the world, a safer place. Perhaps helicopter targeting of airshow audiences is next.

GDB
Topic Author

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:06 pm

wingman wrote:
Sunlight reflecting off clouds? I hope that if the NSA had the technology to help Russia improve its satellite imagery of clouds on a sunny day that they did in fact provide it to the KGB back in 1983, if only to make the United States, and the world, a safer place. Perhaps helicopter targeting of airshow audiences is next.

I doubt the US was even aware of the technical limitations of Soviet spy sats, at least those launched to detect rocket tails after a US ICBM launch.
Often, their technical capabilities were, if anything, overrated.
They were after the events of September 1983 though.

Tugger

Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:22 pm

Greatness often occurs in the quietest of people and most unknown of places.
We often loudly laud those we know of but there are probably many more times when things occur, as this almost did, that we know nothing of and the world continues on in ignorant bliss.

Thank goodness for the people who think and apply internal consideration before taking action. Bluster and threats and "immediate action" are often not the right choice for peace in the world.

Rest in peace Mr. Petrov. Thank you for helping the world do so as well.

Tugg

Iemand91

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:48 pm

A person who has had more impact on the world today than most of us ever realize. But he had to pay it in many ways.

Rest in Peace.

TheFlyingDisk

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:28 am

The one man who truly could be called saviour of the world. May he rest in peace.

treetreeseven

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:20 am

It's a good thing there are other kinds of people beyond the "rules are rules!!11" types.

BartSimpson

Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:54 am

He saved my little ass back then, for sure. Thanks, mate.

Dutchy wrote:
... He probably saved millions...

But I'm afraid you have made a spelling error there. Change the M for a B. I can't imagine what would have happened if he would have just followed the rules. Some tribes in the Amazon would certainly now in charge with setting up a new civilization because there would be almost nobody else left.

And yet, politicians today still just call for wars and threaten with "total destruction" as if this were a computer game. They have no idea what war brings to the ordinary innocent people. I'm so sick of it!

Dutchy

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:11 am

BartSimpson wrote:

Dutchy wrote:

But I'm afraid you have made a spelling error there. Change the M for a B. I can't imagine what would have happened if he would have just followed the rules. Some tribes in the Amazon would certainly now in charge with setting up a new civilization because there would be almost nobody else left.

And yet, politicians today still just call for wars and threaten with "total destruction" as if this were a computer game. They have no idea what war brings to the ordinary innocent people. I'm so sick of it!

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

Some politicians might cry war, but thankfully we still have some people in the military which are much more rational and do have the common sense not to act when necessary. There are only idiots whom don't believe war is the absolute last resort and destroying a country is never acceptable, never.

GDB
Topic Author

Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:44 pm

Dutchy wrote:
BartSimpson wrote:

Dutchy wrote:

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

Some politicians might cry war, but thankfully we still have some people in the military which are much more rational and do have the common sense not to act when necessary. There are only idiots whom don't believe war is the absolute last resort and destroying a country is never acceptable, never.

Indeed, while sometimes force has to be used, I am no pacifist, those in power who seem to bellow for war, as we are seeing, tend to have been draft dodgers when they were younger.