Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qf789
Topic Author

Breaking: Terrorist Explosion on London Tube Train

Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:42 am

Developing Story: A terrorist explosion on a London Train has left passengers with burns and hundred running for their lives. The explosion happened at the Parsons Green Station in London's southwest.

Refer to the link for more details. Note that some of the images could be confronting so just be warned

http://www.news.com.au/world/europe/exp ... e276343f6d

Super80Fan

Re: Breaking: Terrorist Explosion on London Tube Train

Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:12 pm

Ugh, glad to see no-one sustained serious/life threatening injuries. Makes me wonder how long it will be before train/subway stations will have security checks just like airports. A logistical nightmare but at the very least they can ban items like plastic buckets.

vrbarreto

Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:18 pm

tommy1808

Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:25 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
Makes me wonder how long it will be before train/subway stations will have security checks just like airports. A logistical nightmare but at the very least they can ban items like plastic buckets.

They won´t aside of maybe high profile trains, like already done in Spain with the AVR for example. For normal public transport that won´t happen, because the number of soft targets terrorists can go for is pretty much unlimited and nobody wins, aside of security related businesses, if targets just keep changing.

And to be frank, there is no conceivable way terrorists could make public transport less safe than cars and trucks, light rail and subways would need to become about 20 times more dangerous before they get even close to the risk of individual transport.

best regards
Thomas

hoons90

Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:35 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
Ugh, glad to see no-one sustained serious/life threatening injuries. Makes me wonder how long it will be before train/subway stations will have security checks just like airports. A logistical nightmare but at the very least they can ban items like plastic buckets.

Beijing and Bangkok metro stations have security checkpoints in the station concourses, with bag scanners and/or metal detectors.

scbriml

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:19 pm

Whilst not wanting to downplay the seriousness of this event, as "explosions" go, this was pretty much an epic failure (thankfully).

I believe the 'bang' that was reported was the detonator going off. The device clearly failed to explode and apparently only barely caught fire (no evidence of burning in any video or photos that I've seen) although some people are reportedly being treated for burns.

So effectively a good outcome thanks to an incompetent terrorist.

I suspect the majority of injuries were sustained in trying to get away.

tommy1808

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:47 pm

scbriml wrote:
although some people are reportedly being treated for burns.

Maybe people that stood nearby got enough of a flash to set some synthetic closing or hair on fire. That happens quite easily and doesn't need much of a fire to do that.

So effectively a good outcome thanks to an incompetent terrorist.

I wouldn't even be surprised if they have a qualification that should have enabled them to successfully do it. We had a failed attempt in 2006 on trains in Collogne, where the theorists where mechatronic students, yet did just about anything possible wrong about their two bombs, which contained about the same energy as the ones in the 7/7/05 attack.

I suspect the majority of injuries were sustained in trying to get away.

Good guess I would think.

Best regards
Thomas

falstaff

Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:17 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
but at the very least they can ban items like plastic buckets.

I don't think that would fix anything. If you didn't put in a plastic bucket you could put in a brief case, suitcase, or large purse.

scbriml wrote:
Whilst not wanting to downplay the seriousness of this event, as "explosions" go, this was pretty much an epic failure (thankfully).

Yes, it could have been much worse. I am sure the goal of this bomb maker was to have it explode, not burn.

tommy1808 wrote:
For normal public transport that won´t happen, because the number of soft targets terrorists can go for is pretty much unlimited and nobody wins, aside of security related businesses, if targets just keep changing.

Even if they secured everything and everybody on the train a terrorist could easily bomb it somewhere along the route. You wouldn't even need a direct hit, damaging the rail enough that it would derail at high speed would have the same result.

Super80Fan wrote:
Makes me wonder how long it will be before train/subway stations will have security checks just like airports

That would be a mess because you'd need a lot of new stations that are built for such security. You can't just have people piling onto the streets and hanging around outside because that creates a really easy target.

wingman

Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:28 pm

And already May has to tell Trump to STFU. The man can't help but stick his little dick in everyone's business. He really is an epic asshole.

Anyway, glad to see this cell was as incompetent as our President.

maortega15

Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:33 pm

wingman wrote:
And already May has to tell Trump to STFU. The man can't help but stick his little dick in everyone's business. He really is an epic asshole.

I guess he didn't wait long for all the facts to come out :duck:

scbriml

Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:19 pm

falstaff wrote:
That would be a mess because you'd need a lot of new stations that are built for such security.

Many of the tube stations in central London are too small for the number of passengers passing through each day as it is. There's simply no way additional security could be implemented at most of them without causing massive disruption.

OA412

Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:24 pm

Thank goodness it was a dud and there wasn't loss of life!!

maortega15 wrote:
wingman wrote:

I guess he didn't wait long for all the facts to come out :duck:

Waiting for all the facts to come out only applies when your buddies the white nationalists/nazis are under media scrutiny. If it's the browns, the blacks, the women, the gays, etc., there's no need to let facts get in the way.

Arion640

Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:58 am

wingman wrote:

People could have potentially died. I was in london not too far from Parsons Green a few days ago. But you have to bring trump up in this. Shocking.

scbriml

Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:13 am

Arion640 wrote:
But you have to bring trump up in this.

Huh? Trump brought himself into this thanks to his inability to keep his pie-hole shut and stay off Twitter.

An 18yo man has been arrested at Dover in connection with the incident.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41292528

Arion640

Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:19 am

scbriml wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

Huh? Trump brought himself into this thanks to his inability to keep his pie-hole shut and stay off Twitter.

Yeah of course he did, he's a muppet and we all know it. Still don't think it should of been brought up though.

par13del

Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:05 am

...of more importance is why they do not want to release the CCTV footage to have the country identify, locate and assist is arresting the suspects.
Yes one has been arrested very quickly too, but as CCTV images are released quickly to allow swift capture, I wonder what the political motive is..numerous laws have been changed including non-jury trials so harming the investigations or prejudice the trial is a weak reason.
Hopefully in time we will get the reason why.

GDB

Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:37 am

Luckily, another case of the 'Four Lions Factor';

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ving-lives

If you've not seen it, Chris Morris's 2010 film is a superb way of mocking these idiots, Morris sat in on and read some transcripts of terrorist plot trials to get ideas for the film. Though you have to like your humour jet black.
After it's release at least one MI5 bugging operation has picked up suspects bemoaning their lack of terrorist progress 'this is like something out of Four Lions innit?'

To this attack, these new tube trains can carry up to 800 people, unlike some older ones you go through from the rear carriage to the front, with no doors, so could an explosion.
As yet, we do not know the ID of the 18 year old arrested, whether he is part of a wider network etc, so some silence from the Orange ignoramus would be welcome.

ltbewr

Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:24 pm

Even thought this IED thankfully didn't explode as expected, it still caused a terror event with people hurt and scared. Pres. Trump, as much as I despise him, is partially right. Those that do these acts are by losers, jerks seeking some perverse meaning in their lives by these acts. Trumps tweets and the hateful comments in website articles on this and other terror acts broadly blame Islam and 'liberal' governments. Too many of those commenting want to ban access to the USA and EU, round up persons of the Islamic faith and put them in detention and ship them back to their countries of their or their ancestors birth, or put them in interment camps like the USA did with the Japanese in WW II.
While many terror bombs have been duds, killed their makers or actions of the bombers have been stopped in time, enough will go off, as in London, and elsewhere to kill and maim to carry out the perverse goals of their creators and supporters to terrorize and force the West (and in particular the USA) to change its policies of war in the Islamic world but also to end the segregation and hate in the USA, UK and EU against them.

par13del

Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:52 pm

ltbewr wrote:
and force the West (and in particular the USA) to change its policies of war in the Islamic world but also to end the segregation and hate in the USA, UK and EU against them.

.....how far back do you want to go on those policies, colonial empires, the creation of Israel, Gulf War I, Gulf War II, Vietnam, killing fields, heck black people the world over should always use slavery as the crutch, even when racism today has nothing to do with slavery, is that even taught in schools?

par13del

Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:35 pm

In recent times, suicide bombings started in Israel with a spate of bus and car bombings, which tailed off and has recently been replaced by knife and truck / car attacks, in Europe suicide bombings, car / truck attacks have started gaining, is there anything to be learned from how these were dealt with in the ME or do we have to re-invent the wheel to find a European solution?
A number of the attacks in Europe have been by domestic persons who in some cases were born and raised in Europe from ME heritage, so is their motive what is taking place in the ME or is that being used as a cover for what has been their life in Europe?
The answers determines how to properly respond to and correct the driving factors.

WIederling

Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:53 pm

par13del wrote:
The answers determines how to properly respond to and correct the driving factors.

my guess would be that "political flailing and autohamstringing" is the preferred outcome by terrorists.

i.e. the higher the cost of the reaction to these attacks to that society the better.
The trend goes to use parts repurposed for bombs that are essential for day to day life.

bananaboy

Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:54 pm

Arion640 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

Yeah of course he did, he's a muppet and we all know it. Still don't think it should of been brought up though.

I think it's worthy of a mention when our PM has to ask the US President (supposedly one of our closest allies) to exercise a little restraint and discretion rather than running his mouth off on Twitter. I'd say that's pretty unusual if not unprecedented. Saying that the Met Police "had eyes" on someone suggested that they knew suspect(s) and was potentially privileged information that should not have been shared and could jeopardise the investigation. He's an idiot.

Takes a couple of days before he condems a white US based terrorist but takes a couple of hours to share his "wisdom" about what could be an Islamist attack on foreign soil. Hmm.

Back to the topic, good to see Police and intelligence services working swiftly. The tube is now the most surveilled part of the capital with stations and every carriage now with cameras.

Just seeing reports of a police operation taking place now in Surrey.

https://twitter.com/bbcbreaking/status/ ... 8158496769

Mark

par13del

Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:59 pm

bananaboy wrote:

The tube is now the most surveilled part of the capital with stations and every carriage now with cameras.

Mark

Like Denzel Washington said in a movie, just once he would like to use technology to catch the bad guys BEFORE .............

bananaboy

Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:21 pm

par13del wrote:
bananaboy wrote:

The tube is now the most surveilled part of the capital with stations and every carriage now with cameras.

Mark

Like Denzel Washington said in a movie, just once he would like to use technology to catch the bad guys BEFORE .............

Plenty of evidence that already happens and has done for years.

http://bit.ly/2jzzil3

http://bit.ly/2frqk4F

It would be naive to think that the sort of "lone wolf" attack can be always prevented but tech enhancements are no doubt part of the continuing attempts to stop organised attacks before they occur.

Mark

tommy1808

Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:57 pm

falstaff wrote:
That would be a mess because you'd need a lot of new stations that are built for such security. You can't just have people piling onto the streets and hanging around outside because that creates a really easy target.

Of course you can. .. it is just not recommend. But I can vividly recall being "held" in the area after customs and before bag drop for 5 or 6 hours with hundreds or thousends of other arriving AA passengers to have luggage manually searched in ORD on August 17th 2003.
The area did neither have telefones, bathrooms or snack veding machines, nor sufficient room or ventilation for all those people at that time.

Best regards
Thomas

par13del

Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:54 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Of course you can. .. it is just not recommend. But I can vividly recall being "held" in the area after customs and before bag drop for 5 or 6 hours with hundreds or thousends of other arriving AA passengers to have luggage manually searched in ORD on August 17th 2003.
The area did neither have telefones, bathrooms or snack veding machines, nor sufficient room or ventilation for all those people at that time.

Best regards
Thomas

Good to hear a European on this site accepting what is done on the other side of the pond as acceptable on the other side of the pond, here I was thinking that all things EU were better.

coolian2

Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:43 pm

I thought he was arrested at Dover

vrbarreto

Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:25 pm

coolian2 wrote:
I thought he was arrested at Dover

One arrest at Dover and another in West London

It is almost impossible to check the bags of everyone getting on the underground network.

There are platform interchanges all over the place for national rail services as well as the Tramlink..

JJJ

Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:59 am

par13del wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

Good to hear a European on this site accepting what is done on the other side of the pond as acceptable on the other side of the pond, here I was thinking that all things EU were better.

Airport security and commuter transport security are by definition very different. Are bags manually searched on the NY or Washington metro?

The whole point about mass public transport is the mass aspect of it. Any disruption in the flow results in long lines.

flipdewaf

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:21 am

JJJ wrote:
Any disruption in the flow results in long lines.
And becomes the target itself.

I was traveling back from a work conference in Canada and landed in LHR on Friday morning, my boss was sat next to a girl who was going to London to study and was very nervous about moving to a new country, as soon as the plane landed my boss turns on his phone and says to her "oh look, there's been a bomb on the tube". I still have the hand print over my eye from the size of the face-palm i did.

Fred

WIederling

Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:59 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
I still have the hand print over my eye from the size of the face-palm i did.

Ah, I see you are revitalizing a medieval tradition:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagellant
:-))

As long as terrorism is not a significant cause of death the best thing probably is a stiff upper lip
and going for fixing the issue at the root.

In that context
I do have respect for how the Norther Ireland conflict was more or less brought to an end.

I have no understanding for those that try to fix things by using more of the same
that did not work very well previously.

na

Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:59 pm

Parsons Green, I have used that station quite often as its the nearest to the house of my friends in London. They told me that their daughters just passed the station on their way to school when the explosion happened.

Public transport is the easiest target for terrorists. Many people, all sorts of people criss-crossing.

As long as islamism exists, the best reaction is to keep calm and carry on. Any other reaction would be worse. Too much control limits the freedom of harmless people like you and me, too much force against muslims grows more terrorists. Bad thing about immigration in Europe is that 3/4 of the people coming in are muslims, and very often conservative ones. It transforms societies to the worse as can be observed in all countries. While religious freedom is a good thing, basically, imho any immigration law should somehow prevent that the majority of people coming is practicing an alien religion. If 6% of a population is islamic (like in Germany), there should be an immigration limit (say max. 10% of future immigrants, or 20% in the extreme are allowed to be muslims). Otherwise a society can capsize in the longterm.