seb146
Topic Author

Season To Season Sports Commentary: Why?

Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:28 am

At the beginning of every season, sports commentators go on and on about how this team did this last season and some other team did such a thing last season. Why? There are returning players, but some of those players maybe had an off-season injury or their relationship fall apart or battle with drug addiction or they just don't get along with the new players. Or, as in this year in the NFL, teams move to new venues, which changes the entire dynamic of the league. Why compare this year's team to last?
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

petertenthije

Re: Season To Season Sports Commentary: Why?

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:50 am

How else are you going to fill a full week, when the game itself only lasts a few hours for a single day.
Attamottamotta!

Aesma

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:17 am

I don't know anything about US sports but I would expect the strongest teams to be often the same, with a missed season here and there, and the weak teams to often be the same, with a good season here and there. So talking about last season has some use. Also you can give perspective to the changes, for example "team A had a weak defense last year, they enrolled this guy who should strengthen it".

The only sport I watch is F1 and I don't watch hours long programs about it, too little information for the time it takes, usually the good bits of info will be given again during the qualifications and race, so I watch only that (and not the hours before and after either). When I was unemployed I also watched the practices but not anymore.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

coolian2

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:37 am

Why are some teams always good, some teams always bad, and weird outliers who are good/bad/a lottery? If it wasn't worth bringing up previous seasons, all teams would be a lottery.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/CRJ-700/-900

LittleFokker

Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:13 pm

seb146 wrote:
At the beginning of every season, sports commentators go on and on about how this team did this last season and some other team did such a thing last season. Why? There are returning players, but some of those players maybe had an off-season injury or their relationship fall apart or battle with drug addiction or they just don't get along with the new players. Or, as in this year in the NFL, teams move to new venues, which changes the entire dynamic of the league. Why compare this year's team to last?

In the NFL, to the majority of fans, same QB, same RB, same 2 WRs, and at least 1 linebacker they recognized equals same roster. Especially if the coach is the same.

Also, reality is that some teams are better at being consistently good than others (Patriots, Steelers, Packers) and rarely have bad seasons.

Makes for good filler, and in the NFL, it's at least more intellectually honest than college football, which is so loaded with structural biases and flaws that I can't take any game seriously anymore.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

seb146
Topic Author

Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:44 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
seb146 wrote:

In the NFL, to the majority of fans, same QB, same RB, same 2 WRs, and at least 1 linebacker they recognized equals same roster. Especially if the coach is the same.

That makes sense. But isn't:

LittleFokker wrote:
Also, reality is that some teams are better at being consistently good than others (Patriots, Steelers, Packers) and rarely have bad seasons.

a chicken-and-egg scenario? Let's take my "favorite" team Tampa Bay. They are always bad to mediocre. Save that one year they actually won, which no one saw coming. Are they bad to mediocre because the front office makes bad drafting choices and bad trades or are they bad because no one wants to play for them?
Last edited by seb146 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seb146
Topic Author

Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:50 pm

coolian2 wrote:
Why are some teams always good, some teams always bad, and weird outliers who are good/bad/a lottery? If it wasn't worth bringing up previous seasons, all teams would be a lottery.

I think all teams should be a lottery. The Canucks had pretty much the same players the last time they were in the playoffs. They did well the first year but went into a "rebuilding" phase (the term teams use when they do poorly) for the past few years.

I guess that helps ask my question more:

How can a team have the same players and same coach, do well one season and be a complete disaster the next few seasons? Vancouver Canucks, Golden State Warriors, and San Francisco Giants come to mind for me. Sports commentators go on and on in the pre-season how great they were last season and by the All Star Break, the commentators talk about "this is a rebuilding season and will work toward a better next season..." It just seems silly to me to act like it is the same year and team.

vikkyvik

Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:07 pm

seb146 wrote:
Why?

Why not?

seb146 wrote:
but some of those players maybe had an off-season injury or their relationship fall apart or battle with drug addiction or they just don't get along with the new players. Or, as in this year in the NFL, teams move to new venues, which changes the entire dynamic of the league.

So that is all stuff to talk about at the beginning of the season. And obviously how it will affect the team. Which, by definition, compares to last season.

Your premise honestly doesn't make sense to me. Players and teams are always judged based on previous play (among other things, of course).

You can say, "this guy gained 5 pounds, worked on not fumbling, changed his diet, etc." Or "this team added a fullback, traded away two linebackers for a new wide receiver, has injuries here and here, etc." But what do either of those statements mean without a baseline with which to compare? And last season is that baseline.

LittleFokker wrote:
it's at least more intellectually honest than college football, which is so loaded with structural biases and flaws that I can't take any game seriously anymore.

Can you elaborate on that?
Last edited by vikkyvik on Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Osubuckeyes

Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:08 pm

seb146 wrote:
How can a team have the same players and same coach, do well one season and be a complete disaster the next few seasons? Vancouver Canucks, Golden State Warriors, and San Francisco Giants come to mind for me. Sports commentators go on and on in the pre-season how great they were last season and by the All Star Break, the commentators talk about "this is a rebuilding season and will work toward a better next season..." It just seems silly to me to act like it is the same year and team.

Injuries, match-ups, player development all have a significant impact on how a team that remains largely the same competes the following year. The Giants are a good example their bullpen fell apart at the end of last year, and they didn't really do much to address that problem. On top of that their best offensive players have taken a step back, as well as a rash of injuries, but if their core comes back to the potential they have next year and add a few key pieces they might a competitive team. Good commentators will like at a several year view of personnel and organizational stability and argue for or against a teams performance. Any commentator that really only talks about last year is just talking for the sake of having something to talk about.

One thing about the NFL that always is rampant in preseason is talking about the team, the talent etc... then giving a 4-5 game range on their record in the prediction, which really isn't much of a prediction at all...
"Team X has the talen to go 9-7, but their schedule indicates 7-9 or 8-8, maybe just maybe they catch lightning in a bottle and end up 11-5 or 10-6, and worst case they go 5-11 and fire their coach."

Okie

Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:15 pm

How about the Sooners at Columbus Osubuckeyes.

Okie

LittleFokker

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:30 pm

seb146 wrote:
But isn't:

LittleFokker wrote:

a chicken-and-egg scenario? Let's take my "favorite" team Tampa Bay. They are always bad to mediocre. Save that one year they actually won, which no one saw coming. Are they bad to mediocre because the front office makes bad drafting choices and bad trades or are they bad because no one wants to play for them?

If you can figure out the magic answer to why bad teams are bad and good teams are good, you could make a lot of money in the NFL as a GM. I'll be willing to bet the Browns would underpay you and offer you a job!

vikkyvik wrote:

LittleFokker wrote:
it's at least more intellectually honest than college football, which is so loaded with structural biases and flaws that I can't take any game seriously anymore.

Can you elaborate on that?

The tangent I'm about to go down probably should be its own thread, but I'll give you the condensed version. College Football is rigged severely towards the top teams, and there are no mechanisms in place to allow for parity and changing of the elite teams. If you're not in the club, you're not getting in. In the NFL, the Cleveland Browns - longshots as they might be - at least have a puncher's chance of winning in Super Bowl when week 1 begins. A universe exists where they figure out how to play competent football, win 10-11 games, and pull off a playoff run and win the Super Bowl. Yes, it's more likely that I will accurately count the number of hairs on my head, but that possibility does exist. The University of Texas at San Antonio literally has zero chance of winning a national championship when the season begins. Of course, there are about 80 other teams that I could have used, but I'm choosing to use the Roadrunners for this scenario. They could have the season of their life, win all of their games by 50 points, and there will always be a stodgy old pollster who thinks that a 2 loss SEC team is superior to them and will shut them out of the playoffs. There's no possible way said pollster could know that for sure without having those two teams play each other, but in college football, that's not practical, so they continue to pimp up the illusion that the SEC is just that much superior to all other conferences. Best case for UTSA: they have that hypothetical dream season, get in a historically good bowl (not the playoffs though), win it, get a lot of congratulations, but by next year, they're back in the dregs of lessor Division I. The big 5 conferences are complicit in not wanting to relinquish any of their power and keeping those small programs small. As a result, only about 30 schools out of the 300 something NCAA schools with a football program make a profit on football. The rest are bankrupting themselves trying to keep the illusion alive that one day, they might join the elites and be a power player. I predict that within 10 years, DIII football will cease to exist, as the costs are beginning to significantly outweigh the benefits of having a football program. And I say that as an alumnus of a DIII football university who just opened up a new stadium on campus. I'll even say that 5 yeas after that, DII football will go. Pretty soon, only the elite schools will be able to afford a football program. Could even impact the importance of the NFL in 20 years. Pop Warner and other youth football leagues' participation are way down. Many high schools across the country are ending football due to the insurance/health costs, and it's going to work its way up.

So yeah, I'll watch the NFL, but the structural nature of college football disgusts me beyond any potential enjoyment I might have for a single game.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

Osubuckeyes

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:36 pm

Okie wrote:
How about the Sooners at Columbus Osubuckeyes.

Okie

Last time Ohio State lost their bowl game to Clemson then lost their home opener the next season they wont the national title ;)

Airstud

Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:31 am

The networks are creating content, to fill airtime, which they can then sell to advermatisers.
Pancakes are delicious.