TWA772LR

Re: Amazon and it's second HQ(FedEx related)

Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:52 am

330west wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
I'd love to see the City of Houston come in with a sweet deal for this!

There's corporate real estate signs all over and the housing market is rebounding, especially in areas where there is less freeway congestion at rush hour (Eastex Freeway), the light rail is expanding, and they are smack in the middle of 2 very busy airports and a good amount of universities within a 70 mile radius.

With the corporate culture that Amazon tries to espouse embracing diversity, I doubt that any red state, especially one that so unabashedly seeks to discriminate, has any chance. Who wants to live in Houston anyways?

An extremely ignorant comment.

But you're bvipusly blind to the fact that Houston is the 4th largest city in the country, 6th largest metro area in the country (both varied by the Census), and 26th largest GDP in the WORLD (directly from the mouth if he director of the Houston Branch of the Dallas FED District) So it's safe to say quite a bit of people want to live in Houston. Also Harris County, Dallas County, Bexar County, Travis County, (home to Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin respectively) and the Rio Grande Valley counties voted for Clinton in 2016. Houston is also one of the most diverse cities in America (I can assure you, as a white guy that attended high school in the Houston area, I was in the minority at my school), and University of Houston is the most diverse college in the nation.

Your claims are totally baseless and are just plain stupid. You're not worth my time.
Eat 'em up Kats!

jetero

Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:07 am

Midwestindy wrote:
Flighty wrote:
330west wrote:

With the corporate culture that Amazon tries to espouse embracing diversity, I doubt that any red state, especially one that so unabashedly seeks to discriminate, has any chance. Who wants to live in Houston anyways?

They said "business friendly" which rules out most blue states. I expect a sun belt red state, perhaps North Carolina.

Bathroom bill....remember....

A fine tradition started by Indiana IIRC.

Both met the same fate.

Midwestindy

Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:57 am

jetero wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Flighty wrote:

They said "business friendly" which rules out most blue states. I expect a sun belt red state, perhaps North Carolina.

Both met the same fate.

What does Indiana have to do with anything? You mentioned North Carolina...
ATL BWI BOS CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DTW FLL RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP BNA EWR HVN MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP STL CPS PIE SLC TPA DCA IAD

jetero

Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:14 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
jetero wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Both met the same fate.

What does Indiana have to do with anything? You mentioned North Carolina...

North Carolina was not me. You mentioned the bathroom bill and included a quote for Texas--that backlash all really started with Indiana's RFRA IIRC.

jetero

Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:45 pm

DELETED

PPVRA

Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:28 pm

Raleigh. . . they have more infrastructure built than they know what to do with, little traffic, Research Triangle Park and a ton of space. Oh, and Duke University.

RDU is only medium sized though.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

Flighty

Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:31 pm

Alaska and Delta both serve SEA-RDU.... . UNC Chapel Hill is there too

jetero

Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:07 pm

This is probably too complicated for my head to get around.

But 50,000 people and 8 million square feet for what?

A domestic operational HQ? Yikes.

I guess if it's an operational/back office HQ it could be anywhere (see: Bentonville, AR) without too much complication. Someone mentioned Minneapolis above . . . at least that city does have a retailing tradition. Heck, Cincinnati would also fill that bill and is where Prime Air is located.

And what will Seattle become after this? Solely product development?

There's probably been much written about this but I admittedly have not read much with all the hurricanes.

I really wouldn't like to be a stockholder in a retail REIT, Walmart, or any one of another brick-and-mortar retailers these days.

Flighty

Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:21 pm

No, they are selling this as a full HQ, not different from Seattle. It would have executives, software developers, product managers and whoever else. It's a big company with many thousands of white collar employees. Like Microsoft, Google. Transport and logistics (and indeed retailing) is only part of what they do.

jetero

Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:47 pm

Flighty wrote:
No, they are selling this as a full HQ, not different from Seattle. It would have executives, software developers, product managers and whoever else. It's a big company with many thousands of white collar employees. Like Microsoft, Google. Transport and logistics (and indeed retailing) is only part of what they do.

What single white collar HQ has 50k employees?

trexel94

Amazon HQ2 and air traffic

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:06 am

Im not sure if this topic has already been discussed. As many of you know, Amazon is scouting for a second home for a new 5 billion dollar headquarters bringing with it 50k new tech jobs. This is not even including the economic spin off the investment will have on with other companies. No matter how you view it this investment will fundamentally alter a city's economic future and with that how will this affect traffic loads at whichever city they end up choosing? Will it result in new routes/airlines, increase traffic loads etc? Or perhaps little change at all in air service?

vatveng

Re: Amazon HQ2 and air traffic

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:12 am

How much does Amazon's original HQ affect traffic at SEA? Given the Seattle area's overall size I'd imagine it's hard to tell how much one company affects air traffic. The new HQ is said to be bringing 50k jobs but do those people have any reason to travel for work? If not, then it's just potentially a population bump with whatever increase in air travel that typically brings.

FoxtrotSierra

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:16 am

CVG :stirthepot:

BTVB6Flyer

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:27 am

Would be interesting to see if there is any correlation to Amazon's air network and HQ2.

For example if we use this map from Marketwatch (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/here-a ... 2017-09-07) of potential HQ2 location based off their own research and analysis and overlap it with the Amazon Air network, it basically comes down to the following cities:

TPA
PVD (soon to launch per A.net thread)/Boston
BWI/Washington DC area

Meanwhile the Amazon Air network itself has some notable cities not maped on Marketwatch, like:
DFW
CVG
SAT/SKF
RFD/Chicago
CLT
ABE/New York Tri state area
SCK/San Fran/Bay Area

GSP psgr

Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:02 am

I'll throw out a couple of nonspecific predictions:

a) It will be east of the Mississippi.
b) It will be more outside of the box than an existing large-ish tech hub (Raleigh, Austin, Boston).
c) The whole exercise is mostly about talent recruitment and retention. Think prestigious universities.
d) It will be driven in part by Google's more liberal cultural policies (probably not Dallas, Houston, KC, St. Louis, Charlotte, or Atlanta)
e) It will have some sort of giant urban redevelopment angle to it.

jetero

Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:22 pm

Some recent articles from WSJ:

"Amazon’s Big HQ2: A Sign of Hubris and Danger"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazons-bi ... 1505149237

"Amazon Seeks Prime Location for Its Second Headquarters"

(This lists 74 potential qualifying locations, including U.S., Canada, and Mexico . . . they seem to have been a bit loose with the qualifying criteria, especially good air connections.)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-ope ... 1504780191

"For Amazon, Can Two Headquarters Still Equal One Culture?"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-can ... 1505467803

GSP psgr

Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:19 pm

The more I think about it, the more I think the answer may be hiding in plain sight. It's a North America competition, not a US competition. It's probably designed to do two things simultaneously:

a) Get gobs of PR
b) Provide political cover for when they pick a Canadian city; they can then say they went with the best deal (and not only will the Ontario Provincial Government back it to the hilt, but you can bet your last loonie on the fact that the Trudeau government is behind it 100%).

It won't be Vancouver (too close to SEA), and it also won't be Montreal (prickliness of the French language laws, uncertainty around what the Parti Quebecois might do if it got back into power). That leaves Toronto and Ottawa, and I'd put 80-20 money on Toronto.

einsteinboricua

Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:05 pm

GSP psgr wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I think the answer may be hiding in plain sight. It's a North America competition, not a US competition.

Mexico! Cheap labor and rather advanced economy. Imagine Trumpsters' heads if this plays out.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

jetero

Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:48 pm

GSP psgr wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I think the answer may be hiding in plain sight. It's a North America competition, not a US competition. It's probably designed to do two things simultaneously:

a) Get gobs of PR
b) Provide political cover for when they pick a Canadian city; they can then say they went with the best deal (and not only will the Ontario Provincial Government back it to the hilt, but you can bet your last loonie on the fact that the Trudeau government is behind it 100%).

It won't be Vancouver (too close to SEA), and it also won't be Montreal (prickliness of the French language laws, uncertainty around what the Parti Quebecois might do if it got back into power). That leaves Toronto and Ottawa, and I'd put 80-20 money on Toronto.

I think Toronto would be a fantastic choice.

That said the sticking point would be freedom of mobility, and that goes both ways.

So why I have no doubt the Government of Canada would create a new work permit class (NAFTA without same justification), I highly doubt the U.S. would for obvious reasons.

Mexico, fuhgeddaboudit.

Super80Fan

Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:41 pm

St. Louis ain't happening. It's citizens can't go a day without rioting so I doubt Amazon would want their new HQ destroyed.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

dfwjim1

Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:19 am

Read in the Orlando Business Journal that Orlando is going to put a strong case out there as to why Amazon should consider their city for their second headquarters.

jetero

Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:37 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
Read in the Orlando Business Journal that Orlando is going to put a strong case out there as to why Amazon should consider their city for their second headquarters.

As will every MSA with a population similar in size to Orlando. And plenty that are smaller.

jetero

Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:37 am

Super80Fan wrote:
St. Louis ain't happening. It's citizens can't go a day without rioting so I doubt Amazon would want their new HQ destroyed.

Better put it in Wichita then.

flyPIT

Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:04 pm

jetero wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

Actually, Wichita has the most realistic, pragmatic proposal I've seen so far:

"Wichita won’t pitch for new Amazon HQ"
"Mayor Jeff Longwell tells the WBJ that what Amazon is looking for doesn’t make it a fit for Wichita.
"
https://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/news/2017/09/07/wichita-won-t-pitch-for-new-amazon-hq.html
FLYi

11725Flyer

Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:07 pm

I hope Tampa has a shot at it. Perhaps the only drawback might be the hurricane season, which lasts five months every year.

jetero

Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:14 pm

flyPIT wrote:
jetero wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

Actually, Wichita has the most realistic, pragmatic proposal I've seen so far:

"Wichita won’t pitch for new Amazon HQ"
"Mayor Jeff Longwell tells the WBJ that what Amazon is looking for doesn’t make it a fit for Wichita.
"
https://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/news/2017/09/07/wichita-won-t-pitch-for-new-amazon-hq.html

Well I'd certainly vote for him for re-election--good for him to not waste the city's resources chasing a unicorn.

flyPIT

Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:18 pm

.... and for realizing Wichita has no chance in hell.
FLYi

Flaps

Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:58 pm

The more I look at this thing the more nervous I am that Pittsburgh might actually land it. It meets every criteria on the list. Although PA is not exactly "business friendly" the state has shown that it can put up the incentives with the best of them when it wants to. The fracking industry and cracker plant demonstrate that. While a huge economic engine, I can see this absolutely destroying everything that currently makes Pittsburgh such a great location. Housing prices are up sharply with the current developments and the gentrification of some very important neighborhoods such as Lawrenceville, The Strip and East Liberty have made them virtually inaccessable to anyone but the rich.

330west

Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:26 pm

Flaps wrote:
The more I look at this thing the more nervous I am that Pittsburgh might actually land it. It meets every criteria on the list. Although PA is not exactly "business friendly" the state has shown that it can put up the incentives with the best of them when it wants to. The fracking industry and cracker plant demonstrate that. While a huge economic engine, I can see this absolutely destroying everything that currently makes Pittsburgh such a great location. Housing prices are up sharply with the current developments and the gentrification of some very important neighborhoods such as Lawrenceville, The Strip and East Liberty have made them virtually inaccessable to anyone but the rich.

I don't think anyone's looking at Pittsburgh as a serious contender. At this point it's probably Boston's to lose between the internal support and almost incomparable assets.

BobPatterson

Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:03 pm

Amazon is already doing some "smaller potatoes" expansion in New York City area. September 22 news:

http://auburnpub.com/blogs/eye_on_ny/cu ... b228a.html
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

jetero

Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:28 am

flyPIT wrote:
.... and for realizing Wichita has no chance in hell.

That's not going to stop many cities who have equal chances.