bmacleod

Re: SXM/St. Maarten Has Taken a Direct Hit of 185mph/295km/h Cat-5 Hurricane Irma

Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:26 pm

Most gas stations in Florida running close to empty.....

https://www.wsj.com/articles/florida-gas-stations-running-out-of-fuel-as-irma-threatens-state-1504733636

With no idea when more gasoline shipments will arrive, this could be the turning point for Florida to favor electric cars over gasoline powered cars.
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

Dutchy

Re: SXM/St. Maarten Has Taken a Direct Hit of 185mph/295km/h Cat-5 Hurricane Irma

Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:50 pm

That would be a blessing in disguise. I would say the rebuild of the island should be focused on total ecological buildings and energy neutral. Plenty of sunshine on normal days to make it work.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

787Driver

Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:46 pm

The people living on those small islands must be wondering by now, if it's worth rebuilding everything again only to have it destroyed once again somewhere around this time a year from now. The storms will only get worse in the future.

Dutchy

Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:53 pm

You are talking about people abandoning their home island and their livelihood. That is a hard choice to make.

Aesma

Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:03 pm

I don't know the proportions but many people living in St Bart and St Martin weren't born there.

For some other islands around, it's not the same thing.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

787Driver

Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:58 pm

Dutchy wrote:
You are talking about people abandoning their home island and their livelihood. That is a hard choice to make.

I understand that but if everything I owned got destroyed at least once per year due to the location of my home, I would strongly consider moving to somewhere else. How can you afford not to?

kasimir

Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:11 pm

787Driver wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

I understand that but if everything I owned got destroyed at least once per year due to the location of my home, I would strongly consider moving to somewhere else. How can you afford not to?

That's why a lot of folks that can afford it on those islands have hurricane insurance and a hurricane with this magnitude hits once every 10-20 years. But they could do simple things like place all utility infrastructure and telecommunication underground, instead of on poles. That would make live easier next time. Let's see...

par13del

Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:45 am

787Driver wrote:

I suspect it is substantially easier for the migrants presently flocking to the EU to be accepted in versus folks from the older colonies, don't forget, their migration and status was settled decades ago, long before the rise of the EU, these are old colonial ties.

Balloonchaser

Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:39 am

Another Update on SXM:
Airlines fly in to evacuate!

9/8 -
- 2 Dutch National Guard Dash-8s arrive in SXM from CUR (First Plane to land at SXM since Irma) Will fly back and forth CUR-SXM)
- The Dutch Marines arrive in SXM with 2 Lockheed C-130 Hercules from AMS (Will fly back and forth CUR-SXM)
- The Samaritans Purse Relief Foundation arrives in SXM with a DC-8 (N782SP) from the Carolinas to bring aid and cargo to the island.
- Dutch Navy arrives in SXM with 2 Agusta Westland AW139’s (Helicopters) doing Navy Ships - SXM flights (to bring cargo from Naval Ships out at sea)
- Netherlands Air Force KC-10 arrives in CUR to bring supplies and troops to SXM
- Aruba Air on behalf of Insel Air sends a A320 to SXM to get Dialysis Patients out of St. Maarten to CUR.
- McCall Aviation sends an A320 to SXM from PAP to help with Medical Aid.

9/9 -
- Sunwing Airlines Flight SWG400 (C-GFEH) arrives at SXM from YYZ at 11:18Z and flyed out at 14:40Z to get the rest of the Canadian Tourists out of St. Maarten.
- KLM/AF/MPH Group leases a 747F to the Netherlands Red Cross to bring supplies to SXM. Arrived at CUR at 15:00Z. Flight MPH6163 as Martinair Cargo.
- Military/Naval flights continue from CUR-SXM
- 2 US Lockhead C-130’s landed in SXM to get people out of St. Maarten
- US Military Helicopters doing transport flights from an Aircraft Carrier near the US Virgin Islands to SXM
- Fedex Feeder (C208) lands from ANU and continues to SJU
- A C17 Lands in CUR to give aid to the Caribbean Islands (Unknown Country at this time (if you know let me know)
- A RAF A332 Lands in BGI to give aid to the Northern Caribbean Islands (Government Official took at private jet to SXM)

Expected:
- RAF (Royal Air Force) - C17 Globemaster
- USAF (US Air Force) - Lockheed C-130 Hercules, C17 Globemaster (After Irma hits USA (If damage is minimal in the US)
- French Air Force - Airbus A310 Transport, Transport Helicopers (From French Naval Ships)
- An American Air Carrier (Jetblue, American, United) to transport any American Tourists from SXM
- KLM 747 to transport people out
- Westjet Airlines (or Sunwing) to get people out of SXM
- Cargo Companies (AtlasAir, KLM Cargo, Fedex, UPS, Emirates Cargo, etc)
- US Red Cross and US Coast Guard (If US Damage is minimal)
Feel free to add if you know of other flights :)

petertenthije

Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:03 am

Balloonchaser wrote:
- Dutch Navy arrives in SXM with 2 Agusta Westland AW139’s (Helicopters) doing Navy Ships - SXM flights (to bring cargo from Naval Ships out at sea)
Neither the Dutch navy nor the Dutch Air Force has AW-139s. These are probably navy NH-90s. They are the standard helicopter of the Dutch navy.

Balloonchaser wrote:
- A C17 Lands in CUR to give aid to the Caribbean Islands (Unknown Country at this time (if you know let me know)
NATO airlift wing on behalf of the RNLAF.
Attamottamotta!

Dutchy

Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:15 am

Balloonchaser wrote:
Another Update on SXM:
Airlines fly in to evacuate!

9/8 -
- 2 Dutch National Guard Dash-8s arrive in SXM from CUR (First Plane to land at SXM since Irma) Will fly back and forth CUR-SXM)

Dutch Coast Guard, not National Gaurd, we have none.

Balloonchaser wrote:
- The Dutch Marines arrive in SXM with 2 Lockheed C-130 Hercules from AMS (Will fly back and forth CUR-SXM)

Eindhoven AB, makes no sense to fly first to AMS

Balloonchaser wrote:
- The Samaritans Purse Relief Foundation arrives in SXM with a DC-8 (N782SP) from the Carolinas to bring aid and cargo to the island.

Realy, such a big a/c able to land there?

Balloonchaser wrote:

NH-90 are stationed a Dutch navy ships, not AW139. The AW139 are from the Dutch Caribbean Coast Gaurd ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Car ... oast_Guard ), so you were probably thinking of them.

Balloonchaser wrote:
- Netherlands Air Force KC-10 arrives in CUR to bring supplies and troops to SXM

The Royal Dutch Air Force hasn't got any KC-10, they are KDC-10, converted from airliners.

Balloonchaser wrote:
- Aruba Air on behalf of Insel Air sends a A320 to SXM to get Dialysis Patients out of St. Maarten to CUR.
- McCall Aviation sends an A320 to SXM from PAP to help with Medical Aid.

On the news here, it was said it was a Fokker F-50, from Insel, on 9/9 and on 8/9 it was the Dash-8. Bringing policemen and picking up patients.

Balloonchaser wrote:
9/9 -
- Sunwing Airlines Flight SWG400 (C-GFEH) arrives at SXM from YYZ at 11:18Z and flyed out at 14:40Z to get the rest of the Canadian Tourists out of St. Maarten.
Interesting, a 738 being able to land there.

Balloonchaser wrote:
- KLM/AF/MPH Group leases a 747F to the Netherlands Red Cross to bring supplies to SXM. Arrived at CUR at 15:00Z. Flight MPH6163 as Martinair Cargo.
I thought this reliev flight was free of charge, not true?

Balloonchaser wrote:
- Military/Naval flights continue from CUR-SXM
- 2 US Lockheed C-130’s landed in SXM to get people out of St. Maarten

And hopefully get relief supplies in? Nice to see that countries can come together like this. The Dutch Navy helped with Katrina.

Balloonchaser wrote:
- A RAF A332 Lands in BGI to give aid to the Northern Caribbean Islands (Government Official took at private jet to SXM)

RAF BEa 146, or are they all gone?

Balloonchaser wrote:
Expected:
- RAF (Royal Air Force) - C17 Globemaster
- USAF (US Air Force) - Lockheed C-130 Hercules, C17 Globemaster (After Irma hits USA (If damage is minimal in the US)
- French Air Force - Airbus A310 Transport, Transport Helicopers (From French Naval Ships)
- An American Air Carrier (Jetblue, American, United) to transport any American Tourists from SXM
- KLM 747 to transport people out
- Westjet Airlines (or Sunwing) to get people out of SXM
- Cargo Companies (AtlasAir, KLM Cargo, Fedex, UPS, Emirates Cargo, etc)
- US Red Cross and US Coast Guard (If US Damage is minimal)
Feel free to add if you know of other flights :)

I highly doubt that the B747 is going to land at SXM, Dutch nationals will be evacuated to CUR and fly home from there. Family members of Dutch officials and Military personal has been evacutated to CUR in order for these personel to focus on relief tasked and not to worry about family, which makes sense I guess.

Thunderboltdrgn

Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:45 am

petertenthije wrote:
NATO airlift wing on behalf of the RNLAF.

As said on the previous page, it is not an NATO aircraft but rather a C17 from the Strategic Airlift Capability
which was mentioned by me and Duchy on the previous page. They are based at HDF Pápa Air Base in Hungary.
SAC offers 3165 total hours/year of which RNALF have the right to 15.8 percent which is the 500 hours Duchy mentions in his post.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1373067&start=50#p19804325
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1373067&start=50#p19804311
https://www.sacprogram.org/en/Pages/The ... ility.aspx
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

Dutchy

Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:51 am

It is more or less a NATO program, so semantics if you call it a NATO aircraft or a SAC aircraft.

Dutchy

Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:53 am

José seems to have done little additional damage to Sint Maarten, so aid can continue today.

DIRECTFLT

Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:46 am

The Roku "ABC News Channel" has a live stream of WPLG Miami Ch. 10 coverage of Hurricane Irma.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Aesma

Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:50 am

kasimir wrote:
787Driver wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

That's why a lot of folks that can afford it on those islands have hurricane insurance and a hurricane with this magnitude hits once every 10-20 years. But they could do simple things like place all utility infrastructure and telecommunication underground, instead of on poles. That would make live easier next time. Let's see...

Usually it's not "folks" that pay for such work being done though. And it's expensive. In metro France there is a misconception that Saint Martin and Saint Bart residents are all millionaires, so having the state pay for this might get problematic.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

kasimir

Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:25 pm

Latest update:
From first reports, Hurricane Jose has done little additional damage to SXM and the cruise ship Adventure of the Seas is heading to SXM today to provide aid and supplies and take 300 people onboard and possibly dropping them off in Curacao at its stop after.

Yesterday I drove by the airport in CUR and saw the KL/MP 747F on the tarmac and the Dash8 Coast Guard flight just arrive back from SXM. but couldn't make any pictures.

Now with relative calm weather in the coming days/weeks the relief mission can properly start and the remaining stuck tourists and people in need can be evacuated. An additional 125 Dutch marines will be flown to SXM today on a C-130 and many cargo and container ships are on their way from CUR with heavy equipment and supplies.

Balloonchaser

Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:28 pm

- Dutch Coast Guard, not National Guard, we have none. - Correct
- Eindhoven AB, makes no sense to fly first to AMS - One of them was based in CUR and the other came over from Amsterdam first (I meant AMS (As just over in Amsterdam)
- Realy, such a big a/c able to land there? - Yep, they just flew back in this morning
- NH-90 are stationed a Dutch navy ships, not AW139. The AW139 are from the Dutch Caribbean Coast Gaurd ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Car ... oast_Guard ), so you were probably thinking of them. - They were given to the Dutch Navy though to support (So it may not be the Coast Guard)
- The Royal Dutch Air Force hasn't got any KC-10, they are KDC-10, converted from airliners. - Correct
- On the news here, it was said it was a Fokker F-50, from Insel, on 9/9 and on 8/9 it was the Dash-8. Bringing policemen and picking up patients. - It may have been both but Aruba Air also came over then on behalf of Insel Air.
- Interesting, a 738 being able to land there. - It was, there will be another airliner today (from what I heard)
- I thought this relieve flight was free of charge, not true? - Correct. It was leased for free of charge
- And hopefully get relief supplies in? Nice to see that countries can come together like this. The Dutch Navy helped with Katrina. - They are when they go in and on there way out they take people out of SXM.
- RAF BEa 146, or are they all gone? - It was a A332
- I highly doubt that the B747 is going to land at SXM, Dutch nationals will be evacuated to CUR and fly home from there. Family members of Dutch officials and Military personal has been evacutated to CUR in order for these personel to focus on relief tasked and not to worry about family, which makes sense I guess. - Ive heard that the possibility of seeing a 747 at SXM in the next month is high (Could be KLM Cargo or another company)

@dutchy

Balloonchaser

Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:05 pm

Sunwing Airlines is about to land back at SXM from YZZ

ltbewr

Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:20 pm

At least for the USVI, and possibly other islands, cruise ships are coming to the rescue, bringing in supplies and evacuating people, mainly tourists. Since outbound runs were cancelled, and the ships needed to be at sea and not in port for their safety, they and their crews are available anyway. This article doesn't specify where they would be brought to, Miami and FLL might be accessible by Tuesday but there could be limited airport and road access, no or little power or fuel available for the ships and evacuees. http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/storm/cru ... li=BBnb7Kz

Dutchy

Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:50 pm

Hurricanes with all their destruction are also quite fascinating phenonium, in the Bahama's, Irma sucked all the water away from shore. Bizarre side effect and just shows how powerful this hurricane is.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/cap ... 371eb1026a

Dutchy

Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:52 pm

Balloonchaser wrote:
- Dutch Coast Guard, not National Guard, we have none. - Correct
- Eindhoven AB, makes no sense to fly first to AMS - One of them was based in CUR and the other came over from Amsterdam first (I meant AMS (As just over in Amsterdam)
- Realy, such a big a/c able to land there? - Yep, they just flew back in this morning
- NH-90 are stationed a Dutch navy ships, not AW139. The AW139 are from the Dutch Caribbean Coast Gaurd ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Car ... oast_Guard ), so you were probably thinking of them. - They were given to the Dutch Navy though to support (So it may not be the Coast Guard)
- The Royal Dutch Air Force hasn't got any KC-10, they are KDC-10, converted from airliners. - Correct
- On the news here, it was said it was a Fokker F-50, from Insel, on 9/9 and on 8/9 it was the Dash-8. Bringing policemen and picking up patients. - It may have been both but Aruba Air also came over then on behalf of Insel Air.
- Interesting, a 738 being able to land there. - It was, there will be another airliner today (from what I heard)
- I thought this relieve flight was free of charge, not true? - Correct. It was leased for free of charge
- And hopefully get relief supplies in? Nice to see that countries can come together like this. The Dutch Navy helped with Katrina. - They are when they go in and on there way out they take people out of SXM.
- RAF BEa 146, or are they all gone? - It was a A332
- I highly doubt that the B747 is going to land at SXM, Dutch nationals will be evacuated to CUR and fly home from there. Family members of Dutch officials and Military personal has been evacutated to CUR in order for these personel to focus on relief tasked and not to worry about family, which makes sense I guess. - Ive heard that the possibility of seeing a 747 at SXM in the next month is high (Could be KLM Cargo or another company)

@dutchy

Thanks for the update, let's hope the 747 cargo's get in fast to help my fellow Dutchmen.

Balloonchaser

Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:59 pm

The Antonov 124 is on final at PTP (TFFR) to bring in supplies to the Caribbean for the Relief Effort

Dutchy

Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:12 pm

There are now 4 dead in Sint Maarten, 2 John Do's washed up the shore today, nothing is known about them.

Within a week the number of Dutch militaries personal will be 550.

The Dutch King and a minister of internal affairs and Kingdom related matters are on their way to Curacao, they will go to the hospital to meet people from Sint Maarten. The minister will talk to officials. It remains to be seen if they will visit Saba, Sint Eustatius, and Sint Maarten themselves. The King explicitly said he doesn't want to be in the way of the relief effort. Which is the good thing to do of course, well done Willem Alexander.

Dutchy

Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:46 pm

KLM is sending an extra flight to CUR, the 744 (KL737 / KL738) will pick up passengers there, the military will fly them from SMX - CUR. If you have a ticket for a KLM flight, you are allowed on the flight. Landing in SMX with a 744 isn't possible, yet.

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/ ... ar-curacao

kasimir

Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:00 pm

Dutchy wrote:
The Dutch King and a minister of internal affairs and Kingdom related matters are on their way to Curacao

He is already here, we just saw his convoy pass us around 2 hours ago... Apparently he also went to the meteorological station of Curacao for the latest weather updates regarding Irma and Jose.

Balloonchaser

Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:30 am

They are going to attempt to land a C17 at SXM tomorrow along with 3 C130's and The Samaritans Purse Relief Foundation. Theres also a rumor of the first commercial cargo service is coming in this week to aid (Probably AmeriJet)

ltbewr

Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:06 am

Apparently many, especially tourists, have trekked to SXM airport to seek any flight off the island. Priority has been and will continue to be military and aid persons and stuff, with outgoing flights to remove those injured and with serious medical issues, likely to Curacao to connect for further destinations.

Dutchy

Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:15 pm

Irma killed ten people in Cuba. The path of death and destruction continues.

WA will be visiting Sint Maarten today. So he might over the people some support by being there.

Balloonchaser

Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:22 pm

Today:
- Winair brings 2 planes into SXM to transport everyone with a British Passport to ANU
- Copa lands at SXM to get everyone with a Latin American Passport out to AUA (Then to PTY)
- Wingo (Subsidiary of Copa) lands at SXM to get everyone with a Latin American Passport out to BOG
- Westjet lands at SXM to get all Canadians out
- US Air Force C130's aid with evacuation
- Dutch Coast Guard and Air Force aids with Evac
- TuiFly B738 (Operated by Miami Air International) lands at SXM to evac (Unknown destination)

tapairbus370

Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:46 pm

Hello,

are any photos available of any of the airplanes at the airport?

thank you

Dutchy

Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:45 pm

tapairbus370 wrote:
Hello,

are any photos available of any of the airplanes at the airport?

thank you

Probably of some tourist being evacuated, but the priority might lies elsewhere. There are some Dutch journalist on the island, they might have some footage.

Dutchy

Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:47 pm

This news-site shows the before and after photos. Quite shocking. The brown is caused because quite a bit of vegetation has been blown away and the hurricane has blown salt water over the islands, which causes to turn the leaves brown.

http://www.welingelichtekringen.nl/natu ... rkaan.html

william

Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:21 pm

Is the reports of widespread looting true?

cledaybuck

Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:21 pm

Here is some closer up before and after pictures:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/11/americas/ ... index.html

Aesma

Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:50 pm

william wrote:

There are videos of it.

In Florida too.

Dutchy

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:18 pm

william wrote:

Yes, two fault: people searching for water and food and a separate group looting for valuables. Help is on the way and there should be 550 marines plus extra police on the island in order to restore the peace. More and more things seem to be under control.

flymia

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:14 pm

bmacleod wrote:
Most gas stations in Florida running close to empty.....

https://www.wsj.com/articles/florida-gas-stations-running-out-of-fuel-as-irma-threatens-state-1504733636

With no idea when more gasoline shipments will arrive, this could be the turning point for Florida to favor electric cars over gasoline powered cars.

Around 6 million customers in Florida don't have electricity... So yea, does not help for Hurricanes.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

UltimoTiger777

Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:51 am

Apologies if it's already been posted but here's an image of SXM. Looks like a nuclear bomb went off the way all the vegetation has been swept away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hurr ... aarten_(NL)_02.jpg

kasimir

Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:36 am

Here is a video of a bus ride, driving from downtown St. Maarten to SXM airport after Irma:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8swHK-KgGU

It looks really bad and is a sad situation. We can also see that the airport took quite a hit and it will be a while until everything will come back to normal again...

Aesma

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:22 am

I realized yesterday that the electric plant that is down, in the French part, has just been renovated and extended (3 new 9MW diesel generators) by my company, the work has been finished for something like a year. I would expect at least those engines to be restarted soon.

Dutchy

Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:36 am

Aesma wrote:
I realized yesterday that the electric plant that is down, in the French part, has just been renovated and extended (3 new 9MW diesel generators) by my company, the work has been finished for something like a year. I would expect at least those engines to be restarted soon.

The Dutch side seems to have power now and again, got a FB massages from someone there, she was ok ;-).

Dutchy

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:26 pm

Damage report Sint Maarten: 91% of the homes are gone or sustained substantial damage.

Dutch European Parliament members made a case that the Dutch and French side should be treated the same by the EU. The Dutch side isn't part of the EU, the French side is.

Aesma

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:40 pm

So they don't want to be part of the EU except to get money from it ?

St Bart has a specific tax system (which in France is not the norm, people from north to south of metropolitan France pay the same taxes, get the same minimum wage etc.), very advantageous for rich people. The idea that the French state was going to spend millions rebuilding it made a stir on the net, but surprisingly the authorities there said they didn't need help rebuilding.

Dutchy

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:51 pm

This was done by Dutch members of Parlement, Sint Maarten's government just isn't really there anymore. It will be interesting to watch what attitude Sint Maarten is going to take towards The Netherlands / EU.

bmacleod

Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:22 pm

Interesting Irma's name was just added in 2011 replacing Irene....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Irene#Retirement

Is this the new normal?
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

Dutchy

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:57 pm

The prototype Airbus A350 has flown a relief flight to Guadeloupe, from there the 30tons will be flown to Sint Maarten and Saint-Barthélémy. The flight back to Paris offered 200 seats to people whom wanted to go back to Europe. Kuddos to Airbus to do this.

In Dutch: https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/ ... -caribbean

Dutchy

Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:04 pm

And kudos to Delta Airlines for donating 1m to the American Red Cross and 100k to the international Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC).

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/ ... rode-kruis

jetwet1

Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:33 am

kasimir wrote:
Here is a video of a bus ride, driving from downtown St. Maarten to SXM airport after Irma:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8swHK-KgGU

It looks really bad and is a sad situation. We can also see that the airport took quite a hit and it will be a while until everything will come back to normal again...

Jesus......Having made that drive countless times, so many spots I know that are now gone.....

Dutchy

Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:18 pm

First 747 (A KLM 744M), landed in SMX. It flew in from AMS and is doing some relief flights between Aruba and SMX before returning home on Tuesday. The flight was staffed by volunteers.

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/ ... rkaan-irma

Must say I am quite impressed by KLM and its staff in this, first a 744F flight for free and now this.