Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WIederling

Re: FBI, DHS: Antifa are "domestic terrorists"

Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:00 pm

jetero wrote:
They've been around for so damned long, yet no one's heard of them, and everyone's scared of them. .

please note:
"you haven't heard" is not equal to "no one's heard".

same goes for "everyone being scared".

jetero

Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:01 pm

WIederling wrote:
jetero wrote:
They've been around for so damned long, yet no one's heard of them, and everyone's scared of them. .

please note:
"you haven't heard" is not equal to "no one's heard".

same goes for "everyone being scared".

Very helpful, thanks.

WIederling

Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:31 pm

jetero wrote:
Very helpful, thanks.

you're welcome .-)

Antifascists didn't have much visibility in US culture as the basic society is much more right wing than elsewhere.
( one party system with two right wings :-)
But in recent years significant parts from the "righter right wing" have really strayed from the herd.
Now one older blustering horde called out by a fresher blustering horde is not really all that unexpected.

IMU one primary difference ( that also brings the government into play ) is that left leaning groups
are much less looking towards "leaders" than those on the right side. They are thus less controllable.
( The question some postings back "who is their leader" is a good one. A: There is none. )

BobPatterson

Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:41 pm

seb146 wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
There is nothing at all wrong in such opposition, so long as the form of the opposition is not as bad as or worse than what is being opposed.

The Antifa "movement" appears to be opposed to free speech, which makes them just as bad as, say, a number of our universities.

Antifa ultra-left thugs are just as bad as ultra-right thugs.

So, two questions, Bob:

1. How many Nazis and KKK and white supremacists have been lynched by "antifa" simply based on skin color?
2. Since when is speaking out against Nazis and KKK and white supremacists "opposing free speech"?

I ask question one because, according to you, one is as bad as the other.

1. I did not address the matter of lynchings. I did address modern day thuggery and suppression of speech.

2. "Speaking out against" is the exercise of free speech. Bring it on (talk, all you want to).

Beating up of those who are speaking, drowning out their voices, coming to rallies with the principle aim of using force to silence an opponent is "opposing free speech".

You know it. I know it. So let's stop being cute and let's call a spade a spade. Thuggery is thuggery.

Alt-left and alt-right are both a pox upon civil society.

Stop making excuses for any of them.

And stop excusing the biased media.

BobPatterson

Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:46 pm

BawliBooch wrote:
The FBI is an instrument of the state and can therefore be expected to echo the voice of the govt.

There is a theory that a soft-coup is underway in the USA to unseat Trump. Forces opposed to Trump should therefore expect to be on the list of anti-nationals / terrorists.

There might be hypotheses about a "soft-coup" but the use of the word "theory" is inappropriate. Theories are well-tested hypotheses that have been proven (so far) to be incapable of disproof.

Would you please list the suppositions that go into these hypotheses?

Surely you must have at least a short list of them to support such a claim.

jetero

Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:02 pm

Bob, do you not have any conception of degree? I don't necessarily disagree with what you've written, but the equivocation of it all rubs me the wrong way.

BobPatterson

Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:28 pm

jetero wrote:
Bob, do you not have any conception of degree? I don't necessarily disagree with what you've written, but the equivocation of it all rubs me the wrong way.

Sure. We could establish a scale that runs from First Degree Thuggery down through Second Degree Thuggery and so forth to mere vandalism and even impish behavior.

I don't expect you or anyone to necessarily agree with my placement of groups on the scale.

I think the so-called Antifa are just as much First Degree Thugs as the so-called Nazis and KKK.

Their activities should be restricted as far as possible under the Constitution.

jetero

Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:41 pm

Bob, when was the first time you ever heard of Antifa?

BobPatterson

Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:09 pm

jetero wrote:

I am not certain. It is possible that I saw the word in a Washington Post article or column prior to the recent events in Charlotteville, Virginia.

The Post gives me 124 hits on "Antifa" with the oldest being Nov. 19, 2009. There were about 6 in Jan. 2016, and then a fairly steady use of the term in articles and opinion pieces later in 2016 and through 2017.

I no doubt read some of that material when it was originally published, although I may well have just skimmed most of it because it was uninteresting to me at the time.

I did not look up the term on the Internet until Charlottesville hit the news.

I tried searching on "George Will Antifa" and found nothing.

Edited to correct "Post"
Last edited by BobPatterson on Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jetero

Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:15 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
jetero wrote:

I am not certain. It is possible that I saw the word in a Washington Post article or column prior to the recent events in Charlotteville, Virginia.

The posts gives me 124 hits on "Antifa" with the oldest being Nov. 19, 2009. There were about 6 in Jan. 2016, and then a fairly steady use of the term in articles and opinion pieces later in 2016 and through 2017.

I no doubt read some of that material when it was originally published, although I may well have just skimmed most of it because it was uninteresting to me at the time.

I did not look up the term on the Internet until Charlottesville hit the news.

I tried searching on "George Will Antifa" and found nothing.

That's what I thought. At least it's my experience and I'm arrogant enough to think it's the same for everyone else.

Do you not find Antifa to be a convenient boogeyman?

P.S. The only good thing about George Will is that he likes baseball. That's Egghead Numero Uno.

BobPatterson

Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:33 pm

jetero wrote:

P.S. The only good thing about George Will is that he likes baseball. That's Egghead Numero Uno.

I haven't thought of it in the sense of a boogeyman (which I had to look up to make sure that my 1975 Webster's wasn't lacking a more modern usage).

There is a constant need to come up with new terminology. To me, "antifa" is just a somewhat clumsy suggestion of anti-fascist. Perhaps antifa are really anti neo-fascists. So far as I can see, antifa are themselves employing fascist, strong-arm methods.

It's is, to me, confusing to say the least.

Mr.Will is a lovable egghead. One that is capable of at least some change over time.

jetero

Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:38 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
jetero wrote:

I haven't thought of it in the sense of a boogeyman (which I had to look up to make sure that my 1975 Webster's wasn't lacking a more modern usage).

There is a constant need to come up with new terminology. To me, "antifa" is just a somewhat clumsy suggestion of anti-fascist. Perhaps antifa are really anti neo-fascists. So far as I can see, antifa are themselves employing fascist, strong-arm methods.

It's is, to me, confusing to say the least.

Mr.Will is a lovable egghead. One that is capable of at least some change over time.

Bob you just wrote "It's is." Shame! :rotfl:

George Will is indeed lovable.

Redd

Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:41 pm

pvjin wrote:
jetero wrote:
OK, well then it won't be any problem to share those instead of speaking in generalities.

Yes, the post below yours from Maverick is exactly what I'm talking about. According to him antifas who destroy property and beating people are not a problem while right wing radicals are.

As long as they're beating right wing radicals there is no problem here. The right has always been the bully, ultras, racists, religious nuts using violence to intimidate the educated class which had had violence bred out of it during childhood... Now the left hits back and your run of the mill beer bellied, white pointed hat wearing red neck yodels are crying like little girls, and much as it pains me to repeat this right wing moronic euphemism but.... Butt hurt maybe?. You guys need a good smacking around once in a while to put you in your place, and that would be back in the classroom for proper education for a start before you vote again.

Man up right wing I say, you can dish out the violence but when your ass has been handed back to you, you cry to the FBI to label your mirror image group of thugs a terrorist group. The hypocrisy is astronomical.
Last edited by Redd on Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jetero

Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:43 pm

Redd wrote:
pvjin wrote:
jetero wrote:
OK, well then it won't be any problem to share those instead of speaking in generalities.

Yes, the post below yours from Maverick is exactly what I'm talking about. According to him antifas who destroy property and beating people are not a problem while right wing radicals are.

As long as they're beating right wing radicals there is no problem here. The right has always been the bully, ultras, racists, religious nuts using violence to intimidate the educated class which had had violence bred out of it during childhood... Now the left hits back and your run of the mill beer bellied, white pointed hat wearing red neck yodels are crying like little girls, and much as it pains me to repeat this right wing moronic euphemism but.... Butt hurt maybe?. You guys need a good smacking on the face once in a while to put you in your place, and that would be back in the classroom for proper education for a start before you vote again.

Man up right wing I say, you can dish out the violence but when your ass has been handed back to you, you cry to the FBI to label your mirror image group of thugs a terrorist group. The hypocrisy is astronomical.

You're my new favorite person. Well said!

BobPatterson

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:04 pm

jetero wrote:

Well, I said it's is confusing.

jetero

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:10 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
jetero wrote:

Well, I said it's is confusing.

Hahahahahahahahaha

Freakysh

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:34 pm

jetero wrote:
Freakysh wrote:
seb146 wrote:
No one said anything about how bad "antifa" was until a Nazi ran down a crowd of counter protesters, injuring 19 and killing 1....

I've always called antifa idiots, as I've aulways called the kkk idiots. Do you support antifa?

Always? Had you even heard of them this time last year?

You're getting a free pass thanks to BP's indulgence of the "both sides" narrative.

I don't know how anyone who so strongly wants a "rational discussion" always defaults to your reductive and reactive idiocy: "Do you support Antifa?" Which you have done to me 20 times in this thread. So I ask, "Do you support the KKK? Do you support the Nazis?"

If you're not for us, you're against us, I guess.

I've stated I'm against the Kkk and nazis and white supremacists. I'm not sure why it is so difficult for you to state your opinion on antifa.

I also said antifa has more potential to be worse than Kkk, considering the climate of social media that has evolved in last few years and the PC climate generating scores of Sjws, I can see the base for that fire spreading more quickly and chaotically then the Kkk. What has the Kkk done in the last 30 years to make them so sensational today?

jetero

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:37 pm

Freakysh wrote:
jetero wrote:
Freakysh wrote:

I've always called antifa idiots, as I've aulways called the kkk idiots. Do you support antifa?

You're getting a free pass thanks to BP's indulgence of the "both sides" narrative.

I don't know how anyone who so strongly wants a "rational discussion" always defaults to your reductive and reactive idiocy: "Do you support Antifa?" Which you have done to me 20 times in this thread. So I ask, "Do you support the KKK? Do you support the Nazis?"

I've stated I'm against the Kkk and nazis and white supremacists. I'm not sure why it is so difficult for you to state your opinion on antifa.

I also said antifa has more potential to be worse than Kkk, considering the climate of social media that has evolved in last few years and the PC climate generating scores of Sjws, I can see the base for that fire spreading more quickly and chaotically then the Kkk. What has the Kkk done in the last 30 years to make them so sensational today?

I'm against Antifa, whatever it is. Feel better now?

Don't go lecturing me on sensationalism when you're conjuring the specter of something that didn't exist this time last year and fantasizing about how bad it could be.

You're not very smart. Par for the course on your "side."

Freakysh

Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:41 am

jetero wrote:
Freakysh wrote:
jetero wrote:

Don't go lecturing me on sensationalism when you're conjuring the specter of something that didn't exist this time last year and fantasizing about how bad it could be.

Ahhh the old elitist chestnut that got trump into power..."you're not very smart"

So would it be fair to say that the potential impact Kkk has is quite minimal, similar to antifa?

jetero

Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:49 am

Freakysh wrote:
jetero wrote:
Freakysh wrote:

Ahhh the old elitist chestnut that got trump into power..."you're not very smart"

So would it be fair to say that the potential impact Kkk has is quite minimal, similar to antifa?

If it's elitist to have an education and be able to think logically and consistently, sign me up.

Freaky, buddy, you go back and forth as to whether Antifa is the most dangerous thing ever and not a threat at all. Which is it?

What's most illuminating is that after however many posts you've made on this thread you've failed to share anything other than a baseless opinion as to how bad Antifa is. Why? Lord only knows. I think you're just regurgitating whatever you heard on Fox News and clutching it like a security blanket.

You guys got nothing except the unicorns in your head.

You dumb, son.

#FantasyWorld

BawliBooch

Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:15 am

BobPatterson wrote:
Surely you must have at least a short list of them to support such a claim.

I dont make any such claim @BobPatterson sir! But I have read/seen some stuff on the subject.

He may be a nutjob, but this Alec Jones fellow has got some serious traction in todays America.

jetero

Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:26 am

What happened to NoTime?

seb146

Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:59 am

BobPatterson wrote:
seb146 wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
There is nothing at all wrong in such opposition, so long as the form of the opposition is not as bad as or worse than what is being opposed.

The Antifa "movement" appears to be opposed to free speech, which makes them just as bad as, say, a number of our universities.

Antifa ultra-left thugs are just as bad as ultra-right thugs.

So, two questions, Bob:

1. How many Nazis and KKK and white supremacists have been lynched by "antifa" simply based on skin color?
2. Since when is speaking out against Nazis and KKK and white supremacists "opposing free speech"?

I ask question one because, according to you, one is as bad as the other.

1. I did not address the matter of lynchings. I did address modern day thuggery and suppression of speech.

2. "Speaking out against" is the exercise of free speech. Bring it on (talk, all you want to).

Beating up of those who are speaking, drowning out their voices, coming to rallies with the principle aim of using force to silence an opponent is "opposing free speech".

You know it. I know it. So let's stop being cute and let's call a spade a spade. Thuggery is thuggery.

Alt-left and alt-right are both a pox upon civil society.

Stop making excuses for any of them.

And stop excusing the biased media.

Equating these two sides is not correct. They are not comparable. Period. The counter protesters (the right calls them "antifa" and/or "terrorists") are expressing their views. Why is that so bad?

What were the numbers of protesters? This makes a difference in the drowning out of which side. For example, if there were 100 KKK and 5000 counter protesters, why is that suddenly "suppression of speech" or "hating free speech"?

seb146

Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:16 am

Freakysh wrote:
jetero wrote:
Freakysh wrote:

You actually bring up an interesting point, for once. Social media. With the growth of social media, more people have the opportunity to see unarmed people being shot by police and see minorities being beaten up and killed for the color of their skin. It is no longer just grainy photos in text books. It is real. And people are reacting. And not the way you and the KKK and neo-Nazis like. So, they cry they are victims and need safe spaces.

MaverickM11

Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:36 am

Freakysh wrote:
I also said antifa has more potential to be worse than Kkk

Nope. That is only wishful thinking from the fever dreams of the right wing media. Right wing violence is 10x more prevalent than left wing violence, and while the former is regularly lynching people, the latter is burning the odd starbucks. Unless you are actually a chain franchise yourself in a city that is about to host a global economics forum, you have nothing to worry about.

BobPatterson

Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:49 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
Right wing violence is 10x more prevalent than left wing violence, and while the former is regularly lynching people, the latter is burning the odd starbucks. Unless you are actually a chain franchise yourself in a city that is about to host a global economics forum, you have nothing to worry about.

Could you please tell us what acts qualify as lynching in support of your statement?

Thanks.

seb146

Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:13 am

BobPatterson wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Right wing violence is 10x more prevalent than left wing violence, and while the former is regularly lynching people, the latter is burning the odd starbucks. Unless you are actually a chain franchise yourself in a city that is about to host a global economics forum, you have nothing to worry about.

Could you please tell us what acts qualify as lynching in support of your statement?

Thanks.

Is this a serious statement? Are you for real?

BobPatterson

Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:48 am

seb146 wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

Thanks.

It is not a statement. It is a question.

Will you ever learn the difference?

MaverickM11

Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:15 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

Thanks.

One of Trump's "very fine people..."
https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/comm ... -last-week

Super80Fan

Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:27 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Freakysh wrote:
I also said antifa has more potential to be worse than Kkk

Nope. That is only wishful thinking from the fever dreams of the right wing media. Right wing violence is 10x more prevalent than left wing violence, and while the former is regularly lynching people, the latter is burning the odd starbucks. Unless you are actually a chain franchise yourself in a city that is about to host a global economics forum, you have nothing to worry about.

I haven't seen or heard of any lynching going on where I am, and I am in a pretty conservative backward part of Florida. Stop with the fear-mongering.

WIederling

Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:38 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
I haven't seen or heard of any lynching going on where I am, and I am in a pretty conservative backward part of Florida. Stop with the fear-mongering.

So no whites were harmed as far you know ? :-)

seb146

Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:53 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
seb146 wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:

Thanks.

It is not a statement. It is a question.

Will you ever learn the difference?

I was asking because you act as if lynchings have never happened or you were just formed in the past year in this country and have zero idea what Google is. The statement "there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers" has to be suspended for this. But, if you are new to the country and have zero historical context, read up on lynchings here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynching_ ... ted_States

OA412

Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:02 pm

jetero wrote:
And as for the Nazis being "socialist," most of Western Europe is, so I'm not sure what the point is with that one, either. The implication seems to be that modern Democrats are Nazis and Klan members. Very civilized discourse.

It's idiotic. I've heard this lie repeated several times over the last few years. It appears to me an attempt by the right to absolve themselves of every horrid ideology in history, but the facts don't bear any of it out. In large part, the Nazis called themselves socialist in order to attract the working classes. Hitler's targeting of socialists and communists, but not fascists sort of speaks for itself, but hey, why bother with facts?

Super80Fan

Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:08 pm

WIederling wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

So no whites were harmed as far you know ? :-)

While I despise Antifa, they don't pose a threat to me. Same with lynchings, while I'm sure there are people out there willing to do it there is no current problem of lynchings in this country, it's just as much fear-mongering as it is Antifa waiting outside my door with Molotov cocktails and baseball bats.

WIederling

Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:54 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
there is no current problem of lynchings in this country,

How would you judge a prolifer mêlée at an abortion clinic?

Afaics the "righter rights" have a thing for pushing their agenda with force.
( compare to the SA in Germany and in the 1920ties. ok they still lack uniforms.)

seb146

Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:05 am

I have been thinking about this thread today and I think I am onto something:

Neo-Nazis, KKK, white supremacists, and all their followers are suffering from false victim-hood. They go out and demonstrate and try to recruit other whites to their cause, but are met with opposition by larger numbers of people. So, these supremacists play the snowflake, victim, safe-space cards and start making up stuff about "hate" groups and "terrorist" groups that want to take away First Amendment rights.

No one denied their rights to assemble. No one denied their rights to express their views. What happened that I saw was the supremacists cancelled rallies because they did not feel safe and blamed this made up group for "taking away First Amendment rights."

tommy1808

Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:34 am

Freakysh wrote:
I was talking about what I see happening in the future, you know, where things can change. Let's try and keep arguments relevant people.
Cheers

I agree. The FBI should arrest you right away, you may commit federal crimes in the future.

You can also pick any point in the past that you like and you will have a hard time finding a time frame in which your predictions turns out to be true. Things do happen to not change on average and over longer periods of time. The data doesn´t give you any valid reasons for your fears, but that sort of mild paranoia is easily managed.

best regards
Thomas