Revelation
Topic Author

The Internet is 'PivotingTo Video'

Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:03 am

What “Pivoting to Video” Really Means is a few weeks old now, but was mentioned on a podcast I listen to.

It is (ironically enough) a long-form article that describes the 'pivot to video' and explains why it is happening:

Why this is happening is simple: The web has a surplus of copy versus advertising. Companies have decided that sticking an ad at the front of a video makes it less ignorable than putting a similar ad next to an article. It doesn’t matter what the video is. I often get a paragraph or two into a Sports Illustrated story only to find Madelyn Burke in the lower right-hand corner of the screen, giving me a summary of the sentences I’m already reading.

I've noticed the trend, and I hate it. I purposely avoid running more modern web browsers like Chrome in favor of older more broken versions of Firefox just because they can't load the "dancing baloney" videos. You can't scan video to decide if it's interesting or not. You have to wait for it to load, and so it's a big waste of time, especially since they always stick an ad in front of the content that you have to watch in order to see the content you want to watch. So in that regard, they are right. On the other hand, I don't have to watch video. I can just X out of it or go load a different web site or go do something else.

If we don't like this trend, many in the media world don't either, because:

Twitter rallied, as usual. But behind all gallows humor stands a gallows. As Select/All’s Brian Feldman pointed out, “pivoting to video” is just another way to say “layoff.” “It’s curious that a pivot into video involves firing everyone in the video department,” a former MTVer told Billboard.

And I hate to admit it, but I struggled to finish the article, sigh..
The gun is NOT a precious symbol of freedom
It is a deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence

coolian2

Re: The Internet is 'PivotingTo Video'

Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:12 am

It's much easier to sneaky read an article at work than sneaky watch a video. I also flatly refuse to watch a minimum 15 second ad for a <30 second video.

Also autoplay should be considered a war crime.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/CRJ-700/-900

cpd

Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:34 am

coolian2 wrote:
It's much easier to sneaky read an article at work than sneaky watch a video. I also flatly refuse to watch a minimum 15 second ad for a <30 second video.

You can disable auto play in many browsers, this is what I do in Firefox.

WIederling

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:23 am

coolian2 wrote:

Just written to Lowrance customer support recently:

No interest in watching a fat guy with bad pronounciation talk about updating a chartplotter endlessly
when the same thing can be written down in a single sentence.

How do you "print out" a video to take with you as a cheat sheet ?
Murphy is an optimist

Revelation
Topic Author

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:03 am

coolian2 wrote:

I agree with the sentiment.

cpd wrote:
You can disable auto play in many browsers, this is what I do in Firefox.

It's one of the first things I remember liking about Firefox/Mozilla. Also flashblock extension has been a part of my extensions since forever.

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/is ... ?id=715049 is the bug report for Chrome regarding auto-play. To my read, they are indeed taking a half measure. It's no surprise given that Chrome is funded by Google who of course thrives on advertising revenue. They speak of fear of creating an arms race with the web site developers, but in the end, they have the power to simply put up the first frame of the video and put a play button on top of that and wait for user input. How hard could it be? Either that, or take Firefox's approach. Where there's a will, there's a way.

WIederling wrote:
Just written to Lowrance customer support recently:

No interest in watching a fat guy with bad pronounciation talk about updating a chartplotter endlessly
when the same thing can be written down in a single sentence.

How do you "print out" a video to take with you as a cheat sheet ?

It'll be interesting to see if our desires matter any more.

Clearly the content providers are still trying to find a model that generates more revenue for them, and video is one avenue. On the other hand, they don't seem to realize that if they make the experience bad enough, the consumers will simply do something else with their time.

WIederling

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:07 am

Revelation wrote:
It'll be interesting to see if our desires matter any more.

Clearly the content providers are still trying to find a model that generates more revenue for them, and video is one avenue. On the other hand, they don't seem to realize that if they make the experience bad enough, the consumers will simply do something else with their time.

Well the answer from Lowrance's support team promised nubile maidens for a future video.
For the time being, though, I got a fully sufficient 2 sentence description for the task.

update done I now am waiting impatiently for ..
Murphy is an optimist

casinterest

Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:31 pm

I have been shunning sites that push Audio/Video , or creating reports back to their feedback mechanism that makes life miserable for their support techs. Stuff like this ad is broken or inappropriate.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

Revelation
Topic Author

Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:45 pm

WIederling wrote:

It is my understanding that there might be some internet web sites capable of delivering videos of nubile maidens... Who knew?

WIederling

Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:03 pm

Revelation wrote:
WIederling wrote:

It is my understanding that there might be some internet web sites capable of delivering videos of nubile maidens... Who knew?

birds and bees.

but they don't talk about Loooooooooooooorance updates :-)
ref:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf3Rfid ... tu.be&t=16
Murphy is an optimist

Revelation
Topic Author

Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:05 pm

WIederling wrote:

For a fee, they will talk about anything you want them to talk about! :biggrin:

WIederling

Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:11 pm

Revelation wrote:
WIederling wrote:

For a fee, they will talk about anything you want them to talk about! :biggrin:

But.. But! ... <deflated> ok.
Murphy is an optimist

Revelation
Topic Author

Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:08 pm

Publishers Are Making More Video -- Whether You Want It or Not says:

Mic, a website aimed at millennials, used to employ 40 writers and editors producing articles on topics like "celebrating beauty" and "strong women." Ten were let go this month, with most in the revamped newsroom of 63 now focused on making videos for places like Facebook. Critics have called such moves "100 percent cynical" and out of sync with audience demand. Yet Americans are watching more video snippets online, either because they secretly like them or because they're getting harder to avoid. The growing audience for video, more valuable to advertisers than the space next to words, is causing websites to shift resources in what's become known across the industry as the pivot to video. Americans are expected to spend 81 minutes a day watching digital video in 2019, up from 61 minutes in 2015, according to projections by research firm eMarketer. Time spent reading a newspaper is expected to drop to 13 minutes a day from 16 minutes during that time. The question is whether those trends will sustain the growing number of outlets flooding social networks with video clips. Mic, a New York-based news site founded in 2011, was just the latest to fire writers when it announced its pivot to video this month. Dozens of writers and editors have also been laid off this summer at news outlets like Vocativ, Fox Sports, Vice and MTV News. All of the moves were tied in part to focusing more resources on making videos. Publishers are heading in this direction even though polls show consumers find video ads more irritating than TV commercials. Google and Apple are testing features that let you mute websites with auto-play videos or block them entirely. More young Americans prefer reading the news than watching it, according to a survey last year by the Pew Research Center. But many publishers have little choice.

This move will totally backfire, IMHO. The web sites pop up a video window and then they bill the advertisers, but no one watches the video. Sooner or later, reality will catch up with that.

I pretty much stop using any web site that starts playing video without my approval.

NoTime

Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:14 am

May not be interesting to most folks here, but perhaps a glimmer of hope? One company bucking the trend is "The Athletic" (https://theathletic.com/) - they are specifically focusing on long-form journalism and sports reporting, and avoiding video. (Although, they do have podcasts.) In regards to college football (which is why I found them), they are swooping in to hire the fired sports writers from other companies.

Perhaps other industries will follow?

treetreeseven

Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:33 am

Oh, there will always be enough of a niche for text that it's not in any danger of going away. It would be a shame if some good names in print journalism made the "pivot," but text is not endangered.

Which is good, because my entire online life is text-centered. Everybody has their thing. I read voraciously, but it's nearly all long essay or shorter in length and online. I don't watch nearly as much video as most people I know.

Aesma

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:36 am

I watch a couple videos a day, mostly on youtube. Sometimes I will binge and watch 10 or more. However if it's a video that could be a written article, then I'd much rather have a written article. If the person in the video can't get to the point very efficiently, I will just move on, when in an article I could just skip lines and get the full information quickly.

Watching US youtubers that understand this has helped me with my English, as they talk very fast so you have to be able to follow. In fact I'm pretty sure older native English speakers might have a hard time following some of those videos.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Revelation
Topic Author

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:02 am

Aesma wrote:
I watch a couple videos a day, mostly on youtube. Sometimes I will binge and watch 10 or more. However if it's a video that could be a written article, then I'd much rather have a written article. If the person in the video can't get to the point very efficiently, I will just move on, when in an article I could just skip lines and get the full information quickly.

I agree. I'm almost always reaching for the X if they don't get to the point immediately. I wish browsers would always ask before playing a video. It'd save a lot of anger and/or embarrassment for lots of of people. However these days the browser makers are in bed with the advertisers so it's no longer about what we want.

Watching US youtubers that understand this has helped me with my English, as they talk very fast so you have to be able to follow. In fact I'm pretty sure older native English speakers might have a hard time following some of those videos.

Agree. Watching old movies with sub-titles is another way to gain some skill.

treetreeseven

Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:00 am

Revelation wrote:
I agree. I'm almost always reaching for the X if they don't get to the point immediately.

WHAT'S up guys I'm back at you again with another video, today I am gonna discuss ponies BUT if you haven't subscribed yet, I-- *click*

I wish browsers would always ask before playing a video. It'd save a lot of anger and/or embarrassment for lots of of people. However these days the browser makers are in bed with the advertisers so it's no longer about what we want.

Funny, I just added a global filter for cnet.com to my ad blocker after the nth time of being enraged by an autoplay video. F that site.